Free Agency Live Blog ***UPDATED***

baggedmilk
July 01 2014 10:00AM

CanadaDay

Is there anything better than Canada Day and free agency falling on the same day? For some reason, the NHL wanted to keep the two days separate (like spending time with family is important... pfft) but I think it's a great way to spend the day.  Join me as I live blog the free agency spectacle from an Oiler standpoint. We'll take a look at rumours going around Twitter, the guys we sign, and the guys we missed out on. Happy Canada Day, Nation!

LET THE OVERSPENDING BEGIN!

freeagency_tfp_2013

Depending who you ask, the Oilers need anywhere from 3-5 players. We still don't have a top pairing d-man, we don't have a 2nd line C to compliment Lil Nugey, and we still could still use more still veterans to round out the bottom 6. Will MacT be able to fill all those holes as the day goes on? We shall see.

I'm not sure what to expect from free agency for the Oilers.  I'm more than willing to bet that MacT has been calling free agents, but how many of them sign here we shall see.  I just hope that things don't get stupid.  MacT already signed Nikitin for more than market value, so what would he have to spend on other useful pieces that actually made it to free agency?

One thing to keep in mind is that the salary cap didn't go up as high as many teams thought it would.  That means there are some teams that will need to shed salary, and possibly some solid players, before the start of the season.  Can the Oilers take advantage of a cap strapped team with a trade? I think they can. I think MacT would be able to get some real value from trades with these teams. It's a big off season in the Nation, and I'm guessing we've only just begun.

OILERS UPDATES ***UPDATED***

When the Oilers sign/trade someone, I'll be posting the details in the section below. If you see a rumour we miss, feel free to post it in the comments. When someone signs - post it in the comments. Here we go...

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 MessyEH
July 01 2014, 10:06AM

Dallas is rebuilding without a single fist overall.

Seguin

Spezza

as some dude named horcoff

#3 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 10:20AM

Another huge overpay on Pouliot

#4 Taylor Gang
July 01 2014, 10:21AM

Fayne and Pouliot, love it

#6 Dog Train
July 01 2014, 10:25AM

I like the Fayne signing. Pouliot, like the player and hate the term. Still, you had to know that any of our signings would likely have some stick shock attached to them.

#7 IM80
July 01 2014, 10:29AM

Like the Fayne signing...no complaints.

Umm....Pouliot 5 x 4AAV? seems steep. Plus his last name is Pouliot......oh no the bad memories are coming back

#8 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 10:30AM
baggedmilk wrote:

After the year he had, I'm more surprised by the term than the dollars. Free agency, man. What are you gonna do?

Wait a few days and get a comparable player with better dollars and term.Fayne's deal seems more legit to me.

#9 Burnward
July 01 2014, 10:30AM
baggedmilk wrote:

Start developing your own Pouliots so you don't force yourself into spending like an idiot for one in free agency?

#12 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 10:36AM
baggedmilk wrote:

That only works if they sign in Edmonton... which they're not.

Guys get antsy when they get passed over the first few days.

#13 Shaun
July 01 2014, 10:37AM

Stasny gone

#15 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 10:40AM
baggedmilk wrote:

True, but that's assuming that he would have been passed over. I doubt it.

That is why I mentioned a comparable player.

#16 Cody anderson
July 01 2014, 10:53AM

Nice start. Looks like the Oil have really embraced the stats guys with these signings and managed to get bigger at the same time.

Now just looking for a 2C and 4RW

Hoping for Grabovski on a 1-2 year deal and then another guy to help Hendricks and Gordon shut down the league's best

#17 Cody anderson
July 01 2014, 10:58AM

I really hope they don't trade Petry now. If they are going to trade a Dman I would much prefer it is Schultz.

#18 WHH
July 01 2014, 11:03AM
Spydyr wrote:

That is why I mentioned a comparable player.

And what would the name of this comparable player be?

#20 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 11:15AM
WHH wrote:

And what would the name of this comparable player be?

Take your pick there are many here:

#21 Cody anderson
July 01 2014, 11:17AM
baggedmilk wrote:

Never going to happen. MacT loves Schultz

I agree, but I don't. I much prefer Petry

#22 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 11:20AM
Cody anderson wrote:

I agree, but I don't. I much prefer Petry

Can they trade them both for a true #1 defenceman?

#23 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
July 01 2014, 11:20AM

Benoit Pouliot?

Whew, thought you said Marc-Antoine.

Don't scare me like that.

#24 Symbology
July 01 2014, 11:27AM
Spydyr wrote:

Isn't the the Tambellini system? Wait, consider, wait some more, plan, wait, evaluate, wait until there are only the Belanger's and Eager's left, sign the dregs.

It's free agency. The Oilers need to pay top dollar to get they players they want. Kudos to MacT for getting some real NHL players.

#25 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 11:30AM
Symbology wrote:

Yes,over paying just about every contact is much a much better management philosophy.Not.

#26 Cody anderson
July 01 2014, 11:32AM

Just signed Keith Aulie.......I sure hope he is only a call up option, or a 7th Dman

#27 Neal
July 01 2014, 11:55AM

@Symbology

Yeah, right on. Unlike Lowebellini, Mac is right in there doing everything he can. I would also say Mac showed foresight in getting into such a good Cap position, well knowing that he was going to have to overpay to get guys to come to the Oilers. If he can get a Center, everybody here should be saluting him and I might reconsider not renewing my tickets...

#28 David S
July 01 2014, 12:08PM

Guys. If we're involved in competitive bargaining, it's NOT an overpay. It's paying what the market dictates. This is one of the few times a year we can pick up assets and MacT is going for it.

Would you rather he sit back and pick up some crumbs for "fair value" so we can start reading lottery pick and mock draft posts in November?

Deal with it. It's not your money and the team is getting better. That's all that matters.

*drops mic*

#29 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 12:11PM
David S wrote:

*drops mic*

Actually it is the fans money that fund the Oilers.Without the fans there would be no money.

#30 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
July 01 2014, 12:16PM
Spydyr wrote:

Actually, It's Daryl's money...and from what I can see...people are still going to need their prescription drugs filled.

#31 Walter Sobchak
July 01 2014, 12:29PM
Cody anderson wrote:

I agree, but I don't. I much prefer Petry

I would trade both if it meant a true 1st pairing defensemen coming back.

Both are butter soft players and Schultz has way too much chaos in his game for me to believe it will ever round out.

#32 Wax Man Riley
July 01 2014, 12:32PM
Spydyr wrote:

Ok so let me get this straight.

the Oilers are terrible, especially on draft day, because they didn't do anything, MacT sat on his hands and took what was handed to him I think you said. Tambellini didn't do anything for years.

Then on free agency day, MacT goes out and makes some moves, and they are terrible because they didn't wait?

OOOoookkkk.....

*looks to the sky and whistles while walking away*

#33 Evilas
July 01 2014, 12:53PM

@Spydyr

These are great adds.

Would like to see another D added (Oilers depth on the R side is almost non-existent). And I still hold out hope for a #2 C.

As it stands the line up might look like this:

Hall-RNH-Ebs

Pouliot-LD-Purcell

Perron- Arco-Yak

Hendo-Gordo-Lando

Jonessu/Gazdic(still don't know why he was resigned)

Marincin-Fayne

Nikitin-Petry

Ferrence-Schultz

Aulie

It is much improved, but how close is it?

#34 Spydyr
July 01 2014, 12:58PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Ok so let me get this straight.

OOOoookkkk.....

*looks to the sky and whistles while walking away*

All I said was he over payed for Pouliot and they got the coke machine because of Eakins.I actually said I thought the Fayne move was OK.

I also said the other day smart GM's hold on to some cap space for late in the season to pick up a few deals.

Nothing more.

#35 Pizzy
July 01 2014, 01:38PM

@Neal

renewing your tickets? hahaha, if you were smart you would have hold on to them, I am making a killing selling them no matter how bad they are. lol

#36 Senator Theo
July 01 2014, 01:40PM

boo Jeanshorts!

#37 Joils
July 01 2014, 02:10PM

Lol watching treliving discussing how he gave engelland 2.9 per because he is a good guy.

#38 The Soup Fascist
July 01 2014, 02:23PM
Joils wrote:

A lot of money for a turnstile with good character.

Makes Pouliot look like a value contract.

Hall's eyes are going to look like saucers when he sees the rather large pylon disguised as a defenseman as he comes down the wing.

Is Treliving channeling the spirit of Feaster?

#39 Sorensenator
July 01 2014, 02:25PM

Now they need to sign either Grabovski or Legwand to fill the centre void. 2 or 3 years max. They are not slam dunks by any stretch but they are an improvement.

#40 Danger Pay
July 01 2014, 02:59PM

Crap, Mac T has me starting to believe the Oilers could make a run a playoff spot. *Curls up into fetal position on couch, rocking back and forth, repeating out loud "Cautious Optimism,Cautious Optimism,Cautious Optimism"* #soclosetoanNHLlineup

#42 David S
July 01 2014, 05:08PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Oilers definitely need to do something to improve the C position. Can't add everywhere else and neglect the middle.

Yeah. Too bad we didn't already have a 40-50 point 2C in the bag just in case things didn't work out. Oh well, there's always Arcobello or Land...

*Loads shotgun*

#43 Spoils
July 01 2014, 05:41PM

team is better today than yesterday... we still need a #2C this year... too bad we couldn't sign one (named Stasny)

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - ??? - Purcell
Pouliot - Gordon - Hendricks
Purcell - Draisatle - Yakupov

joenssu gazdic pitlick lander arcobello

Nikitin - Schultz
Ferrence - Petry
Marincin - Fayne
Aulie
Klefbom

Call him what you want, but Schultz will log the most TOI this year.

Yak City and Neon Leon will need to get PP time, 4th line minutes and soft ones at that, but face it- the German will play.

#44 Spoils
July 01 2014, 05:49PM

with the crazy FA day winding down - how do we get a #2C now?

ideally someone who can play #2C this year and fill gordon's slot as gordon ages and the german comes on.

#45 pelhem grenville
July 02 2014, 06:17AM
Spoils wrote:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - ??? - Purcell
Pouliot - Gordon - Hendricks
Purcell - Draisatle - Yakupov

joenssu gazdic pitlick lander arcobello

Nikitin - Schultz
Ferrence - Petry
Marincin - Fayne
Aulie
Klefbom

Call him what you want, but Schultz will log the most TOI this year.

...Draisaitl