PIVOT

Lowetide
July 16 2014 04:41PM

rnh common5

Craig MacTavish accomplished much this summer, but the center position hasn't been addressed beyond an old phenom being replaced by a new one. I suspect the team may have overplayed their position, believing something had to shake loose and showing too much patience. That said, they do have options in the middle and some of these men are going to have long, productive NHL careers.

Unless MacT has a miracle in mind, the Oilers on paper are very weak at center compared to the rest of the Western Conference.

THE NUGE!

nuge2

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had an outstanding rookie season, spent much of year two less than 100%, and regained some of his magic in year three. Rookie coach Dallas Eakins ran him beyond-ragged at times during the year (Nuge played 28:12 in his first game in the lineup, 2013-14 season). One hopes baby Nuge is getting his rest and taking vitamins, he's going to need them come the November chill. A lot of RNH's offensive value comes via the pass (and on the power play), and that will be reflected in our center estimates.

LEON! (with Arco to help)

draisaitl page tsn

We could pretend it isn't going to happen, but why? Draisaitl's NHL equivalencies suggest he would score 40 points in 82 games. The Oilers played Sam Gagner over 1200 minutes as a rookie, no reason to believe (at this point) the big German won't get a healthy TOI and with good NHL wingers. They call it a push, and one suspects we're going to see a big one this winter.

BOYD GORDON

oilers 13-14 vollman sledgehammer

Boyd Gordon (along with Matt Hendricks) look like they'll form a tough minutes line. There was some talk of this being the fourth line, but one suspects it will end up playing the third-most minutes (and in fact being the '3line' for Edmonton). Gordon delivered more than expected offensively this past season, it would be unwise to expect a repeat.

5x5/60

1. Mark Arcobello 1.82
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.56
  3. Boyd Gordon 0.93

Mark Arcobello had a terrific season when in the lineup, I think he'll share 2line duties with Draisaitl and then share 4line work with Lander when he's batting down in the order. Nuge's 5x5 number needs to be better (say 1.80) if we're going to consider him an impact offensive player—his power-play ability will take care of the rest.

Source: BTN

HOW MANY EVEN-STRENGTH GOALS?

The Nuge had 13 a year ago, suspect we can crank it up a couple, that's a decent bet for a No. 1 overall who is completely healthy. I'll give the Arco/Draisaitl 2line combination eight, that's a little more than double Arcobello's total in half a season during 2013-14. Not exactly scientific, but these aren't first-shot scorers, they're playmakers. Gordon scored six even-strength goals a year ago, I'm going to guess five this season and we'll throw two Lander's way for fun.

30 even-strength goals for the centers. Fair? This is an unproven group and passers all, and the total for C at EVs last season was 34. I'm going to suggest 30, because we know there are going to be long nights and growing pains for lines 2 through 4.

HOW MANY POWER-PLAY GOALS?

Again we're dealing with playmakers, the Nuge is a crazy passer and in his element with the man advantage. Draisaitl should get cherry minutes at 5x4 and 5x3 on the 2pp, and that could be good or bad (rookies don't usually get a ton of PP minutes).

Nuge scored 6 last year, let's pump him up to 9. If three more of those wide high lazers find the range? I don't think that's a crazy bet. Arco and Gordon had one each a year ago, let's keep them there. How many for the German? 4? Let's say 4 with the man advantage and we're probably aiming too high but maybe we were tough at evens.

15. That's 15 on special teams. Fair?

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

car

Sometimes things look out of whack because they are, and the Oilers really should straighten up and fly right with center for 2014-15. But, like that lovable uncle who looks fine except for the comb over and the Keep on Truckin' belt buckle, it appears the town team can't help themselves.

A season ago, Oiler forwards scored 166 and I have them at 175 this time, mostly due to the wingers. If they could ONLY get an actual NHL center.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#151 Will
July 17 2014, 10:01PM
GCW wrote:

Wouldn't be the Oilers if they didn't have at least one gaping hole in the line up that they choose to ignore.

This should win comment of the day. I would go further and say we wouldn't be Oilers fans if we weren't overly optimistic about the team, even with the holes.

#152 Walter Sobchak
July 17 2014, 10:17PM
Shredder wrote:

Oh come on! I think we've got enough 1st overall picks don't you? Plus, if we couldn't get 1st overall this last draft, we're not getting it next year.

The Oilers are legitimately one injury away in any one of these spots to a last place postion.

Defense – goalie – center

#153 Will
July 17 2014, 10:40PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Defense – goalie – center

Wow, drastic much? I think given the guys on the farm, Edmonton could suffer a left side D or two for injuries. And goalie, I think Fasth / Backman is still better than Dubnyk Labarbra.

And if Arcobello, or Draisiatl gets injured, well, I don't think that automatically dooms the team to last freakin place.

#154 admiralmark
July 17 2014, 10:45PM
Will wrote:

Very true . Although i'm finding that everyone seems to have their own version of what would be considered to be a failure next year. Some say simply not making the playoffs is the determining factor while others say bottom 10 is a failure. But what if its 10th exactly? Is that a failure considering the past 2 seasons? I find eveyone on here is sometimes arguing over the percieved success or failure without any context.

Personally I would consider 20th place in the league overall as being the line in the sand for a relatively successful season. That would mean around 9th-10th in the West. But thats just where my expectations are with the lineup as it stands.

#155 Sorensenator
July 17 2014, 11:10PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Defense – goalie – center

If only the Oilers had a player named Walter to save the day....

#156 Walter Sobchak
July 18 2014, 12:39AM

If only the Oilers had the Sorensenator or is it THE SHERMINATOR......

#157 Will
July 18 2014, 12:48AM
admiralmark wrote:

I would consider success if the team has a positive goal differential. That to me would demonstrate a huge leap in the right direction.

#158 madjam
July 18 2014, 06:59AM

Teetering on being competitive with two more additions . One top 1-2 center and same for a defenseman .Without , we are likely going to remain in cellar of our western conference despite some small progress . M.Green (RD)(seemingly available ) might be an option and be the only right defenseman on squad , as all our 11 on team ,rookie and AHL'ers are all left handed .many options for trade at center but at what cost ? Could be bold and try for winger E.Kane with some risk no doubt and perhaps to costly player wise to obtain . Last thing this club requires in trade in more pertinent holes to fill .

#159 Silo
July 18 2014, 07:32AM

@Walter Sobchak

Umm... Even without any injuries there legitimately a nominee for last place

#160 HardBoiledOil
July 18 2014, 08:52AM
Silo wrote:

Umm... Even without any injuries there legitimately a nominee for last place

no they aren't, simply because they are better than Buffalo and Florida and at least as good/bad as the Flames and Isles.

#161 michael
July 18 2014, 08:54AM
Serious Gord wrote:

I quite often make predictions on what's going to happen or moves that should be made.

What i don't do very often at all is make specific suggestions as to who should be gotten in return for a trade or via FA or waiver simply because I do not know the rosters of other teams very well at all and thus do not feel I would be an adequate judge. That's where pro scouting comes in.

And pro scouting is one of the most important keys to success in the cap universe and excellent amateur scouting that is public knowledge.

And the oil over the last decade may be the worst in the league at it.

The overall draft record of the past was abysmal. Pro scouting has been at best questionable.

Drafting past the first round for all teams is a crap shoot. Pro scouting I believe along with many others has failed to bring in anyone of quality.

Those are facts that you and I can agree on.The proof is in/on the roster.

Whether or not MacT's current roster achieves better results this coming season remains to b seen.

Like many I had little faith in Eakins by seasons end. He looked like a rookie coach all season. It was a trainwreck. But.Big But. The team imo moved forward by seasons end. I felt that the moves made by MacT to shore up the goaltending and the addition of Matt Hendricks brought leadership and experience.The teams systems play improved as it was simplified.

How will this team perform in 2014-2015? Who knows.

What I expect. Top 10 scoring from Hall. A 30 goal year from Eberle and Perron. Yak 25 goals. RNH 15 goals 60 assists. LD? 30 points? Arcobello? 45 points. Purcell 15 goals 35 points. Gordon and MH. 5-10 goals total 30 points total.JS? 40 points. BP? 25 points?

I expect a reduction in SA and GA and an increase by at least .5 GF per game.

The defence should be less like keystone cops.Hopefully.

Goaltending? Well the tandem of Scrivens and VF fills me with more confidence than last years starting 2.

I expect a 15-20 point overall increase from last year. I think 80-85 is reasonable.

But we'll see what the future brings.The past is done and gone. Time to move on.

#162 varg
July 18 2014, 10:47AM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

I won't hold it against you that English is obviously your second language, but kids, this is living proof of what happens to you if school isn't a priority.

Ken may get his life partner to fix this effort out of pity, but i think you get my point.

Say no to drugs, and yes to school.

Wow,jerk. ken learn to be a bit more respectable to others.

#163 ken
July 18 2014, 10:50AM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Say no to drugs, and yes to school.

Dummy sorry to say I am writing on my phone.go suck a dame goats cock.

#164 Sorensenator
July 18 2014, 11:20AM
ken wrote:

Dummy sorry to say I am writing on my phone.go suck a dame goats cock.

You should still be able to write a sentence on your phone without sounding like you're from the hood. There is also a nice little feature called auto correct, do not ignore the red squiggly lines. :)

#165 JBear
July 18 2014, 11:34AM

My thoughts... Oilers gave up early last year because of the horrible horrible goaltending by Dubs. Previous year Dub was decent but he always let in one soft goal per game I felt. This year I have a lot of faith in Scrivens. His play last year was absolutely phenomenal and I'm hoping he helps the Oil start on the right track.

As for our forwards, I believe Hall/Nuge/Ebs are as good or better than most first lines in the league. In their final games against San Jose and Anaheim I felt they were even (Getzlaf/Perry) or outplayed their counterparts (making Big Joe quickly show his age). They cycled hard down low and were just quicker than everyone else.

#166 Guy Lafleur
July 18 2014, 12:39PM

@ken

I will i didnt realize this was your "board" lord and master .

#167 ken
July 18 2014, 01:32PM
Guy Lafleur wrote:

I will i didnt realize this was your "board" lord and master .

Dude go buy a shootgun and put in your mouth and pull the trigger.

#168 varg
July 18 2014, 01:45PM
ken wrote:

Dude go buy a shootgun and put in your mouth and pull the trigger.

Looks like ken masters did not listen to me.Oh well looks guy lefur did deserve it.we know edmonton not the greatest place but to say all players care about beach and girls in bikini is stupid and sexist.

So I agree with him on guy or whoever hos name is to shut up about it

#169 Ryu
July 18 2014, 04:46PM
varg wrote:

So I agree with him on guy or whoever hos name is to shut up about it

Ken amazing stuff as varg said his comment wrong.as others told the guy winnig matters.

So to the guy poster suck my donky balls

#170 Spydyr
July 18 2014, 05:07PM

Grow up children.It must be summer all the kids have time to post.

Their Mom should be calling them for supper soon.

#171 ken
July 18 2014, 05:16PM
Spydyr wrote:

Grow up children.It must be summer all the kids have time to post.

Their Mom should be calling them for supper soon.

Coming from one of the biggest dicks of all time yeah right

#172 varg
July 18 2014, 05:18PM
Spydyr wrote:

Grow up children.It must be summer all the kids have time to post.

Their Mom should be calling them for supper soon.

My mom is six feet under.so no and quit your whinnig.

#173 Ryu
July 18 2014, 05:20PM
Spydyr wrote:

Grow up children.It must be summer all the kids have time to post.

Their Mom should be calling them for supper soon.

Suck my donkey balls.

#174 Guy Lafleur
July 18 2014, 06:41PM
varg wrote:

So I agree with him on guy or whoever hos name is to shut up about it

Another Einstein on the board ....another candidate for a GED ..good enough diploma .LOL couple of morons and imbeciles .

#175 Virkerens
July 18 2014, 07:26PM
Guy Lafleur wrote:

What a tool bag shut up.

#176 Varg
July 18 2014, 07:29PM
Guy Lafleur wrote:

and you are are misogynist.I better get your diploma in d bag.

#177 ken
July 18 2014, 07:31PM
Guy Lafleur wrote:

Jackass like you are the reason why I hope get gassed.

#178 RYU
July 18 2014, 07:36PM
Guy Lafleur wrote:

Suck my dunky balls , I am way smarter then you at lest I am not a giant douche

#179 KozyMel
July 18 2014, 09:46PM

@michael

@seanjohn: If the dog sleeps facing south, the sun never shines on his north facing ass.

MacT and KLowe always sleep facing south......

#180 Guy Lafleur
July 18 2014, 10:31PM
Virkerens wrote:

What a tool bag shut up.

Congrats , you spelled tool correctly , now supersize my fries boy!!!

#181 Guy Lafleur
July 18 2014, 10:32PM
RYU wrote:

Suck my dunky balls , I am way smarter then you at lest I am not a giant douche

Yes at LEST your not a giant douche with DUNKEY balls ROFLMAO !!!

#182 Guy Lafleur
July 18 2014, 10:33PM
ken wrote:

Jackass like you are the reason why I hope get gassed.

GOOD for you!!!!!!

#183 wow
July 19 2014, 02:55AM

Assoles like you is the reason why their should not be a comment section.

#184 ken