The Edmonton Oilers new fourth line isn’t really a fourth line

Jonathan Willis
July 23 2014 03:55PM

Gordon, Boyd2

One of the little items that’s really been overlooked in the hue and cry over the Oilers’ (admittedly poor) centre situation is the fact that the line Edmonton plans to stick Boyd Gordon and Matt Hendricks on isn’t really the team’s fourth line.

It’s much more than that.

Craig MacTavish

Craig MacTavish6

June 17 Oilers Now interview:

I think that’s the model that we’re ultimately trying to piece together, where we’d have a fourth line that would have lots of defensive zone starts and be able to play against anybody, and then have three lines that were capable of having success offensively.

June 22 Edmonton Journal interview:

Much like Chicago’s got where they have three lines of offensive guys and a fourth line that can play against anybody. That’s what we’d really like to do. We need (Anton) Lander to step up and (Mark) Arcobello, or add a free-agent forward or two who can compete for those jobs. Maybe somebody who could come in and be a good fit with Yak (Nail Yakupov on the third line). We have the first line (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle). If we can draft a guy at centre who can play, then we’d have that guy, Perron and Sam or some form of that.

July 1 press availability:

We’ve talked about how we want to build our team going forward. We want three offensive lines and we want a line, probably centered by Boyd Gordon, that can start much like Chicago is built, that you have another line that you can start predominantly in the defensive zone. Then you’ve got three possession lines, or three lines that you can count on for offence.

We can sum up Edmonton’s general manager thusly: 'We want a line that can be leaned on for defensive zone starts, the kind of line Chicago has, and we plan to put Boyd Gordon at centre.'

Chicago

cHI TOI 7.23.14

The chart above shows the playoff per-game ice time for Chicago’s 12 most-used forwards. The duo that Chicago’s defensive zone unit is built on is Ben Smith and Marcus Kruger – a duo that averaged 13:00 per game at evens and better than 15:00 per game overall.

Brandon Bollig, who was spotted on the line at times, played more typical fourth line minutes, averaging 6:22 per game. But the ice time handed to Kruger and Smith more closely resembles what we’d think of as third-line time – significant minutes at evens, lots of time on the penalty kill, too.

So we can call Smith, Kruger and Bollig a fourth line, but that’s missing the point when Smith and Kruger are getting more minutes than Kris Versteeg and Michal Handzus.

Lines 1, 2, 3, 4

23-Hendricks-2

The model that MacTavish is looking to emulate doesn’t fit our typical notion of hockey – two scoring lines (Lines 1 and 2), a checking line (Line 3) and an energy line (Line 4). He’s not alone in this; increasingly around the NHL teams are deploying players in a way out of sync with how EA Sports portrays the game in its NHL series of video games. That’s at least part of the reason why so many NHL coaches get snarky when they’re asked about their third or fourth lines – the traditional view of a third or fourth line doesn’t do justice to their versions of those units.

In the Oilers’ case, if they copy the Blackhawks we’re looking at something more akin to this (lines ordered by ice time):

  • Line 1: A power-vs-power unit with significant offensive responsibilities.
  • Line 2: An offensive line that can play against good players.
  • Line 3A: A defensive specialty unit, occasionally featuring an enforcer but also spotting other players.
  • Line 3B: An offensive line that’s generally deployed in carefully selected situations.

There is no true fourth line in this scenario, because none of these lines have the ‘go bang bodies, don’t get scored on’ mentality we associate with the fourth line. All of them have a specific function that relates directly to goals for and against – the 3A line tasked with getting the puck out of the defensive zone without allowing a goal, the 3B line tasked with trying to make hay in ‘soft’ minutes.

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 Reg Dunlop
July 23 2014, 09:02PM
Trash it!
70
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
mnm wrote:

if mac t doesnt make a splash we are litterally one center position away from finishing in the basement... but also think about how nice it would be to get mcdavid then we would have 3 dominant centers. but I dont think i want another horrible year

You'll have to help me here. 3 dominant centers with the addition of McDavid? First off, the league will not allow 'the next one' to be drafted by a NHL team that doesn't need him. He will be drafted by an American team. Secondly, '3 dominant centers? On the oil? We have 1 generic NHL center in Gordon, one potential future NHL center in Nuge, 1 draft pick who can't skate at a NHL level and an assortment of AHL centers. The big splash or basement part makes too much sense however.

Avatar
#52 Nina Russo
July 23 2014, 09:07PM
Trash it!
46
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

I love these blogs -- 3a and 3b, "checking" an "energy" -- more like 4a and 4b, big slow plumbers and more big slow plumbers. Any other sport they would be relegated to the teams who can't meet the payroll any other way. Any quality team, and these bottom six wouldn't see the light of day.

Those positions with limited minutes should be used to develop the young up and coming prospects, instead of throwing a player like Hall and Nuge into first line minutes where they struggle to compete and then cheat to rely on their strengths rather than developing their weaknesses. And then the scribes harp on a player like Yakupov because he can't handle the learning curve (as if Hall -- hurt his first two seasons, Nuge, ditto, Ebs as well, handled it any better).

Time to develop good players at the top level, not hope they learn what they need to be effective at the top level against players who have never played there and likely will never play there. Call a spade a spade, Gordon and company, are FOURTH liners, a younger version of Belanger is still a Belanger not a Horcoff; they will never score, they will only cover up the mistakes of the under-developed top six via their penalty killing and defensive zone starts, giving those same under-developed top six the time to rest and recover.

Two years ago Belanger wasn't good enough for this team because he provided no offence, now we want two lines of Belangers. I hope Pouliot and Purcell prove otherwise ... but I seem to remember a lot of local scribes be crying the loss of Clarckson a year ago, now it's Toronto who are praying they don't have to buy that contract out.

My point, call them for what they are -- fourth liners (on a good team, one which we aspire to be) -- not what you hope they will be, or how they will be used on this team.

Avatar
#53 bwar
July 23 2014, 09:11PM
Trash it!
25
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@Nina Russo

Nail Yakupov aka a big slow plumber.

Avatar
#54 Serious Gord
July 23 2014, 09:15PM
Trash it!
24
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
blainer wrote:

That's the problem with these tournaments...If the goalie plays one bad game their team is done. I thought he actually had a good tournament. Unfortunately he never got us the win. I am confident he will have a good year based on the upgrades on D. There is a lot of pressure though as we will need him to be Varlamov good in order for us to get to the playoffs. A 928% save percentage would get us there AND make Eakins look like a genius...

I recall a certain oiler goalie who took a puck to the mask and lost a game in a tournament called the Olympics. He was a washout from that point on.

Avatar
#55 Nina Russo
July 23 2014, 09:19PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
44
cheers
bwar wrote:

Nail Yakupov aka a big slow plumber.

No. Yakupov -- a kid that deserved to play on a kid line with other skilled players to learn the game at its highest level. Much like Hemsky, like Horcoff, like Smytty, like Messier for crying out loud. They played him with plumbers expected him to hit and check like a plumber, so his production fell and they sat him. Yes that will develop his game. Good call coach.

Avatar
#56 Patrick Miranda
July 23 2014, 09:23PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Love it!! 3A & 3B --- on any other team they are fourth liners or red-shirts. Can't wait for Khaira, Marco Roy, Yakimov, and Draisaitl to make this squad.

Avatar
#57 Patrick Miranda
July 23 2014, 09:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
Woodguy wrote:

I'd argue that the "traditional 4th line" of bangers and crashers with feet for hands isn't that traditional.

When the NHL was 21 teams many teams, including the Oilers had a 4th line that was like the "3b" you mention above.

The 4th line was used to break in kids into the NHL without putting them in a position to fail and not expecting too much.

Horcoff started on the 4th, so did Hemksy. It used to be SOP. Often teams would put their "enforcer" with 2 good young players in order to keep them safe and not expose the enforcer to tougher minutes as well.

Good teams had good 4th lines.

Anyone who remembers the Oilers last Stanley Cup knows the 4th line was the "kid line" with Adam Graves, Joe Murphy and Martin Gelanis.

Not a "crasher" or "banger" to be seen.

Expanding to 30 teams diluted the talent and players starting making the NHL who had the skating ability to keep up to the play, but little else. Thus the "crash and bang" 4th line became the norm.

Many of us have been calling for the Oilers to employ this type of line up for years and years,

Glad to see they are finally doing it.

It's about bloody time.

Well said.

Avatar
#62 Joy S. Lee
July 23 2014, 10:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
madjam wrote:

Should we make a trade for Mikko Koivu (31) ? 6 ft.3 in - 224lbs. center and captain of Minn. ?

Sure! But what are we giving up?

Avatar
#63 justDOit
July 23 2014, 10:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Joy S. Lee wrote:

Sure! But what are we giving up?

Sanity? Faculties? Sensibilities? Realities? Formalities? Beastialities? Rubberduckiealities?

Avatar
#64 Joy S. Lee
July 23 2014, 10:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I've quoted MacTavish from three different interviews - consistently saying the same thing.

As for whether Gordon/Hendricks are better than your typical fourth line or not, that wasn't the point of this piece. They're going to be used in a specialized way; the idea was to highlight exactly what that means.

Personally, I think Gordon-Hendricks and take your pick... are a real solid 4th line. They were playing 2nd line at times last year, how much better do you think they'll fit in their proper roles, with appropriate linemates?

Gordon wins faceoffs, and Hendricks is a treat. I would suggest he IS an "energy" guy, because he brings it up every time he's on the ice. Sounds like Pitlick wants to hit everything in sight this year, which would make him a perfect fit for this unit, too. And as some have suggested, Gazdic for the Flames and Canucks games, etc.

This is a good turn of events, not a negative one.

Avatar
#65 Serious Gord
July 23 2014, 10:47PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

That's a fun story, but he actually went 9-5-2 with a 0.929 save percentage after those Olympics.

I stand corrected - sort of. The team went on an excellent run after the Olympics (perhaps because it had few players at it) and that could explain much the the high average. The following seasons as a number one he never averaged at or above .900.

He was a shattered goalie - and I'm certainly not the only or first person to observe that - perhaps you weren't following the team back then. When things got tight in a game it seemed he couldn't stop a beach ball

Avatar
#66 Sorensenator
July 23 2014, 10:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Remember the fourth lines of old with players like Zach Stortini? lol How did that guy make the NHL

Avatar
#67 joeyboy15
July 23 2014, 10:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

Yeah, the problem was the Oilers had 3 fourth lines for the last decade.

Avatar
#68 justDOit
July 23 2014, 11:05PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
joeyboy15 wrote:

Yeah, the problem was the Oilers had 3 fourth lines for the last decade.

And no forth line for the past (almost) decade. But now, Hall - Nuge - Eberle are a great forth line!

Avatar
#70 K_Mart
July 23 2014, 11:13PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Seems to sound promising. Just hope Yak bounces back and MacT can find a centre to slot ahead of Draisaitl and Arco.

Those are two serious holes.

Avatar
#71 K_Mart
July 23 2014, 11:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

The next season, sure.

But he was great down the stretch that season. You don't post a 0.929 save percentage if you're totally shattered by what happened at the Olympics.

It's easy to draw the line between the Belarus game and his decline in following seasons, because those are the big events we know about. But there's lots about Salo's life we don't know, and the evidence doesn't support a 'Belarus killed Salo' theory.

Are you suggesting that the rumours were true?

Avatar
#73 Serious Gord
July 23 2014, 11:38PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

The next season, sure.

But he was great down the stretch that season. You don't post a 0.929 save percentage if you're totally shattered by what happened at the Olympics.

It's easy to draw the line between the Belarus game and his decline in following seasons, because those are the big events we know about. But there's lots about Salo's life we don't know, and the evidence doesn't support a 'Belarus killed Salo' theory.

We shall have to agree to disagree. The off-season back in Sweden that year must have been hell for him.

Avatar
#74 Serious Gord
July 23 2014, 11:50PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

Are you suggesting that the rumours were true?

I probably will regret asking, but what rumours?

Avatar
#75 Percilus
July 24 2014, 12:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

I probably will regret asking, but what rumours?

Rumour has it that Mike Comrie b anged Salo's wife. Jason Smith in particular did not like it too much nor did the rest of the team but things were never the same ater that for Salo.

Avatar
#76 K_Mart
July 24 2014, 12:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

I probably will regret asking, but what rumours?

Nothing worth repeating or drawing any attention to.

Avatar
#77 DonEnrico
July 24 2014, 02:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

We shall have to agree to disagree. The off-season back in Sweden that year must have been hell for him.

Yep, his legacy took a real beating from it.

And to put another twist to it: His raise to fame actually started when he made a stop in the shoot-out in the final of the Olympics in -92 (on Kariya). A save that, with a help from a magic shoot-out goal from Peter Forsberg, won the gold for Sweden.

But he has actually turned into quite a nice GM here in Sweden now, so I think he is doing allright.

EDIT: Brainfart the olympics of -94 of course...

Avatar
#78 Casey
July 24 2014, 05:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I just wish we had this plan before, Imagine how Lander,Paajarvi,Hartikanen,etc. could have developed on a 3b line. It's great we have one now. At least Roy,Khaira,Chase,Yakimov,pitlick,and Moroz won't have to be rushed in like they were. 3A and B lines are a way better route than playing a youngster on a checking line with Belanger and Eager and expecting them to produce than sending them to the press box for the whole season when he could have been working with Nelson name the boys to polish his game.

Avatar
#79 Chainsawz
July 24 2014, 06:37AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

There's a big gap between even-strength scoring and power play scoring.

Benoit Pouliot has 43 EV goals over the last four seasons (Perron, btw, has 47). That's 131st in the NHL (2nd line country, given that there are 90 1st line forward in the NHL). Not bad at all, given he's mostly played third line minutes. He can score at evens.

Now, because he a) doesn't get primo ice time and b) doesn't score much on the power play (last season excepted) he has modest boxcars. That doesn't mean you stick him on the Malhotra line at evens.

Pouliot has played 267 games versus Perrons 187 during that span. Nice try but they aren't comparable offensively.

Better dig a little deeper in your bag of stats to back up saying Pouliots "offensive chops" are wasted on a DZ line. I think they are made for it and he would excel in that role. Not ideal cap wise however.

Avatar
#80 Jason Gregor
July 24 2014, 06:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

JW,

The theory makes sense and MacT has made it clear he wants a 4th line that can play tough minutes, however, there is one glaring difference between Gordon/Hendricks and Kruger/Smith.

Offence.

Kruger and Smith combined for 22 goals and 54 points last year.

Gordon/Hendricks had 13 goals and 31 points.

I agree with how Eakins will use them, but unless they produce more, which is unlikely based on career production, I wonder if he will use them less than Kruger/Smith.

It also illustrates the difference between a Cup contender and bottom teams. Even their 4th lines are better. Ideally I think Anton Lander might be the guy who is closest to Kruger within the organization. When Draisaitl and RNH are experienced I think he is the best chance, currently, to fill that role of tough minutes, who can produce. But finding Smith will be the hard part. I think he will see more offensive minutes moving forward.

Avatar
#81 Chainsawz
July 24 2014, 06:46AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

There's a big gap between even-strength scoring and power play scoring.

Benoit Pouliot has 43 EV goals over the last four seasons (Perron, btw, has 47). That's 131st in the NHL (2nd line country, given that there are 90 1st line forward in the NHL). Not bad at all, given he's mostly played third line minutes. He can score at evens.

Now, because he a) doesn't get primo ice time and b) doesn't score much on the power play (last season excepted) he has modest boxcars. That doesn't mean you stick him on the Malhotra line at evens.

Oh, another hole in your post here, sorry....

If you think Pouliot being ranked 131 in the NHL in EV goals over 4 seasons puts him in 2nd line territory would you say he has better offensive acumen than, and this just two examples as there are more, Palat or Johnson out of Tampa?

Lots of players have broken in that are just getting started their careers these last couple seasons that would push Pouliot even further down your rank.

Avatar
#82 Silo
July 24 2014, 07:02AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Chainsawz

Stop poking holes in Willis' argument. We only have a couple weeks left to praise everyone. Once the season starts it won't be long until we can hate everyone again

Avatar
#83 Spydyr
July 24 2014, 07:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

Oilers will pick up another Center before the season starts for this reason.

Iif he doesn't we can book McDavid. The silver fox knows we need another Center.

I feel bad for Yaks if they don't bring in an established Center for him to play with.

I hope you are right but I have a bad feeling they have Draisaitl pencilled in as 2C and no legit 2C will be coming this season.

Avatar
#84 Rickithebear
July 24 2014, 08:08AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Nina: Learn the game. The fact that you reject this model means you do not believe BOS, CHI, LAK ar running poor systems and caopying them is silly.

1. The best Production from top 9.

1st line/2nd line forwards last 2 years after July UFA COL 5 1st/3 2nd CHI 5/ 2 EDM 5/2 these are the 3 best in the league. (Perron; Purcell / Pouliot)

2. keeping shots to the low % areas. for reach level of comp LAK had 5 of the 20 BEST. That resulted in 5 of the 10 best EVGA/60 Martinez; Greene; MITCHELL; Voynov; Muzzin See boston for this.

Since June 13 Mact has added 5 with a strong history for there comp. Ference top 20 box protection 1st/2nd comp Marincin top 3 box protect top 10 EVGA/60 1st comp. Nikitin #1 2nd comp EVGA Fayne #2 2nd comp EVGA/60 Aulie top 20 box protection.

3. Get a strong Save% goalie inside 25ft (box/chance area) 1. Bishop 2. Lundquist 3. Reimer 4. Scrivens 5. Rask 7. Quick

4. Strong FO% forwards with great tough zone start history. LW/C Hendricks; C Gordon; Pouliot and Purcell paired asvery successful 2nd unit tough Zone start in tampa.

All the projections for Failure. Why? Most of you are basing it on a team that is not here!

We retained Hall; Eberle; RNH; YAk; Petry; J. schultz.

we will have added 17 of 23 positions in 13 months, Perron-Arco-Purcell; Pouliot-3C-XXX; Hendricks-Gordon-4RW; Ference-XXX; Nikitin-Fayne; Marincin-XXX; Aulie; Scrivens; Fath.

McDavid?

Talk about no clue!

Chainsaw; points last 2 years Purcell 1st line and pouliot 2nd line adds to what is now one of the best depths in the west.

Alot male cattle pooh!

Avatar
#85 djc
July 24 2014, 08:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

I stand corrected - sort of. The team went on an excellent run after the Olympics (perhaps because it had few players at it) and that could explain much the the high average. The following seasons as a number one he never averaged at or above .900.

He was a shattered goalie - and I'm certainly not the only or first person to observe that - perhaps you weren't following the team back then. When things got tight in a game it seemed he couldn't stop a beach ball

Right ... when the facts get in the way of the point you are trying to make, just ignore and/or discount them and go with your memory to claim you are still right.

BTW, how is that blog of yours coming along, Gord?

Avatar
#86 A-Mc
July 24 2014, 08:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Nail Yakupov's linemates last season ranked by time on ice together (one hour minimum):

  • 1. Sam Gagner
  • 2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  • 3. Jordan Eberle
  • 4. David Perron
  • 5. Ales Hemsky
  • 6. Taylor Hall
  • 7. Mark Arcobello
  • 8. Ryan Smyth

Damn you, Eakins! Who could possibly produce with that god-awful cast of plumbers!

Holy Christ, thank you... Seriously, can you make a new post for all the Yak fans that scream about his poor usage last year. Your post above is all that needs to be said.

CASE AND POINT!

Avatar
#87 Spurzey
July 24 2014, 08:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

When is positive friday? Soon I hope.

Avatar
#88 Spydyr
July 24 2014, 09:32AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Spurzey wrote:

When is positive friday? Soon I hope.

It is the Friday after the OIlers make the playoff.....it might be a while.

Avatar
#89 Chongler
July 24 2014, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

"Since I'm the guy whose column you're responding too, I think it's only fair that I respond with what I wrote a couple of days after Clarkson signed with Toronto."

Well played sir! I like your style.

Avatar
#90 Serious Gord
July 24 2014, 09:58AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
djc wrote:

Right ... when the facts get in the way of the point you are trying to make, just ignore and/or discount them and go with your memory to claim you are still right.

BTW, how is that blog of yours coming along, Gord?

Sorry to see your treatment for lurking psychosis hasn't been effective.

But thanks for reading!!!

Avatar
#93 Spurzey
July 24 2014, 10:14AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Spydyr

So we should know by november?

Avatar
#94 Hemmercules
July 24 2014, 10:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Spurzey wrote:

So we should know by november?

I laughed and then cried a bit when I read this comment. They can't be eliminated in november again, they just can't. Right!!???

Avatar
#95 Spydyr
July 24 2014, 10:34AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Spurzey wrote:

So we should know by november?

I'm hoping for at least that long.Us Oilier fans really,really,really deserve it.

Avatar
#96 BobbyCanuck
July 24 2014, 11:00AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Silo wrote:

Stop poking holes in Willis' argument. We only have a couple weeks left to praise everyone. Once the season starts it won't be long until we can hate everyone again

Pffft, I am way ahead of the curve!

I plan on hating Eberle and J. Schultz this year. I wish Eberle would D-up every now and then, and I wish J would hit someone every now and then.

And Eakins, just because I do not want to feel left out, and I hate is first name, even more so now that they have Horcoff and Hemsky.

Has anyone else already decided whom to hate?

Avatar
#97 nate
July 24 2014, 11:44AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Reg Dunlop wrote:

You'll have to help me here. 3 dominant centers with the addition of McDavid? First off, the league will not allow 'the next one' to be drafted by a NHL team that doesn't need him. He will be drafted by an American team. Secondly, '3 dominant centers? On the oil? We have 1 generic NHL center in Gordon, one potential future NHL center in Nuge, 1 draft pick who can't skate at a NHL level and an assortment of AHL centers. The big splash or basement part makes too much sense however.

what a horrible, stupid comment. You sir, are a donkey.

Avatar
#98 Jordan1126
July 24 2014, 01:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Nina Russo wrote:

I love these blogs -- 3a and 3b, "checking" an "energy" -- more like 4a and 4b, big slow plumbers and more big slow plumbers. Any other sport they would be relegated to the teams who can't meet the payroll any other way. Any quality team, and these bottom six wouldn't see the light of day.

Those positions with limited minutes should be used to develop the young up and coming prospects, instead of throwing a player like Hall and Nuge into first line minutes where they struggle to compete and then cheat to rely on their strengths rather than developing their weaknesses. And then the scribes harp on a player like Yakupov because he can't handle the learning curve (as if Hall -- hurt his first two seasons, Nuge, ditto, Ebs as well, handled it any better).

Time to develop good players at the top level, not hope they learn what they need to be effective at the top level against players who have never played there and likely will never play there. Call a spade a spade, Gordon and company, are FOURTH liners, a younger version of Belanger is still a Belanger not a Horcoff; they will never score, they will only cover up the mistakes of the under-developed top six via their penalty killing and defensive zone starts, giving those same under-developed top six the time to rest and recover.

Two years ago Belanger wasn't good enough for this team because he provided no offence, now we want two lines of Belangers. I hope Pouliot and Purcell prove otherwise ... but I seem to remember a lot of local scribes be crying the loss of Clarckson a year ago, now it's Toronto who are praying they don't have to buy that contract out.

My point, call them for what they are -- fourth liners (on a good team, one which we aspire to be) -- not what you hope they will be, or how they will be used on this team.

did you say big?? hey at least we are bigger then :)

where do you people make this stuff up from?

Avatar
#99 Chainsawz
July 24 2014, 08:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I used even-strength goals in particular because I felt like replying quickly to someone who clearly doesn't believe in rate stats.

Now, for me, rate stats are the obvious number to use - how much a guy scores on any given shift.

Pouliot ranked 119th among NHL forwards at evens last year in points per hour. He was 21st the year before that, 64th the year before that, 57th the year before that and 102nd the year before that.

He has a long and productive track record as a good even-strength scorer. I honestly don't understand how someone with two functioning brain cells looks at his history and decides, 'nah, this guy can't score at evens.'

You believe in rate stats hey? The very stat that would say Pouliot was a better offensive option than Ovechkin last season 5vs5? The same stat that had stats guy favorite whipping boy Jordan Eberle near the very top in 11/12? The same stat that would suggest last season Acton would be a better option than Nugent-Hopkins for offense?

I think there may be some value to the stat but to label a guy a second line player because he's in the middle of the pack of this stat is a reach. You can reach and twist all you want but the guy hasn't broken 40 points 9 kicks at the can, granted he would have been close if not over during the lockout season, and is a lock on the bottom 6 with heavy DZ starts if the Oilers want success.

All the obscure stats you can throw at the wall on this guy won't change his spots.

Avatar
#100 joeyboy15
July 24 2014, 08:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
justDOit wrote:

And no forth line for the past (almost) decade. But now, Hall - Nuge - Eberle are a great forth line!

Where are you going with this good sir?

Comments are closed for this article.