Monday Mailbag - July 28th ***UPDATED***

baggedmilk
July 28 2014 08:41AM

LearningIsFun

Let's be honest here for a minute... you're at work and you're not doing anything work related. I, for one, salute you slackers and encourage you to do so. With that, here is another rendition of the Monday mailbag. I need questions for next week so if you've got one email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.

Enjoy.

***update*** I just added in Suds' answers. Being in Asia with the time difference makes things interesting

yakimov-common

1) Tracie Sarumowa asks - Last year Bogdan Yakimov played against men in the KHL, do you think there is a chance we will see him playing centre for the Oilers this year?

Jonathan Willis:

Not really, no. It'll take a while to adapt to the North American game and he doesn't even turn 20 until October. If he does get a shot, it's likely going to be because the Oilers' centre depth chart is laughably thin.

Robin Brownlee:

I see it as highly unlikely. He's probably physically ready, but you can't overstate the jump from KHL to NHL.

Lowetide:

Yes. It's difficult to know about a player from Europe, but Yakimov plays in a good league we know he had dominant shifts in the WJ's. If we can agree (and I believe) the KHL and AHL are similar, Yakimov might show well enough this year as a Baron to get a look in the NHL before April.

Jason Gregor:

I don’t think so. He has to adapt to the North American game which attacts and forechecks much more. He will get his chance in the future, but I’d put him in the AHL and let him stay there all year and get comfortable and gain confidence.

Jason Strudwick:

In a perfect world I think a year in the AHL would be ideal for Yakimov. He did play against men in the KHL but that league is not close to the style of play of the NHL. If the Oilers do not bring in another centre and there are injuries or poor play he could get  a shot.

Brian Sutherby:

It will all depend on how he handles his time in the minors. Having never seen him play I can only imagine he starts there. Being a different game over here it may be an adjustment. He certainly has the size to play this year and I'm intrigued by the future of this player.

baggedmilk:

I think this is a great idea if only to hear Kevin Quinn absolutely massacre the two names all season. Just think of how many puns Gene will be able to bang out! Yak and Yak will be a wonderful time indeed.

RyanSmyth

2) Derek Lewis asks - Do you think the Oilers should retire Ryan Smyth's #94? Why or why not?

Jonathan Willis:

I'm a big fan of Smyth, but no. I don't like allowing the Hockey Hall of Fame to set the standard for which numbers get retired, but I do think it's an honour that should generally be reserved for HHOF-calibre players.

Robin Brownlee:

If there's a wall of honor or some other area in the new building, sure. Convention is it doesn't go to the rafters unless he goes to the HHOF, and he isn't getting in without a ticket.

Lowetide:

Yes. He represents the best of the 1995-2009 era. Smyth was part of those late 90s teams and the 2006 SC run. You can't compare him to the Boys on the Bus, but that was a generation ago. Honor these men of this century, and Smyth is the obvious place to start.

Jason Gregor:

They won’t because they have a rule that you need to be in the Hall of Fame to have your jersey retired. I think they will need to amend that in the future, but until they do they should have a wall of honour for guys like Smyth who was a fan favourite and a quality players in his time with the Oilers.

Jason Strudwick:

Yes. Since the last cup he is the most beloved Edmonton Oiler player. He earned the honour of putting his jersey up top.

Brian Sutherby:

If anyone deserves it in the last 15-20 years as an Oiler it's Smytty. I would not argue against it one bit, but the bar is set so high from all the glory years and I just don't think he's in that group. What he did for the city and community is exactly what this team/city needs. I think he should be honored, but I don't believe it gets retired.

You won't find me on here blowing a gasket if they do.

baggedmilk:

Not only should they retire his jersey, they should forfeit the ad revenue from calling the new arena Rogers Place and rename it the Smytty Dome. They should also replace the Oilers logo, at centre ice, with Smytty's face.  Ryan Smyth is, without a doubt, the most beloved player to wear an Oilers jersey since the glory days. A lot of us weren't alive then or are too young to remember. Ryan Smyth is an angel and the Oilers couldn't do enough to honour him.

Nuge

3) Darryl Randolph asks - How much will having a whole summer to train, and possibly gaining a couple pounds, help Ryan Nugent-Hopkins this season?

Jonathan Willis:

Probably a fair bit, and people forget he's still several years away from the prime of his career. We should certainly expect improvement in general terms; the circumstances of the last couple of summers just make a slightly larger step forward possible.

Robin Brownlee:

It'll still be two or three years until RNH is physically mature. Every off-season, surgery or not, he has to gain size and strength for the next few years is a plus.

Lowetide:

A lot. He's a year older and has a full summer to rest, then begin his preparation. I think Nuge is poised for a big offensive season.

Jason Gregor:

I expect RNH to have a bounce back season. Gaining strength will be a huge benefit for him and he’ll have more experience. Of all the Oilers, I expect RNH to have the biggest improvement over last year.

Jason Strudwick:

Huge! I am really hoping we see a big jump in his strength. It will give him a lot of confidence going into a season feeling healthy and strong.

Brian Sutherby:

It should help a lot if he couldn't do anything last summer. He's a smaller guy to begin with and a young body build playing versus men. Last summer probably hurt him a lot. Every year he needs to be getting stronger. Feeling good physically entering another season a year older and wiser I would expect him to take another step this season.

baggedmilk:

The mental image of Lil Nugey lifting his little weights is just adorable. What was the question again?

worthalook

4) Scott L asks - Is Michael Del Zotto worth a look by the Oilers? Wouldn't the acquisition of Del Zotto free up a young developing defenceman to package up for a 2nd line centre? Appreciate your thoughts.

Jonathan Willis:

In my view, no, because there are better UFA defencemen out there. I'm not opposed to the idea of the Oilers swapping a defender for a centre, but if they want to replace that defenceman via free agency I'd be looking at Brett Bellemore or Jamie McBain before I looked at Del Zotto.

Robin Brownlee:

Sure. He's coming off a bad season. He's young. He doesn't have an outrageous salary.

Lowetide:

The Oilers have so many young options on defense. I haven't seen or looked enough at Del Zotto to say he's a bust, but there are two teams that passed him along now so he's a little bit suspect. I'd rather go with the group of kids currently compiled.

As for trading one of them for a 2line C, I think it'll be Jeff Petry. Only a matter of time.

Jason Gregor:

Not at all. The Oilers don’t need a D-man who can’t play defence. They have Schultz and Nikitin for the PP, so I don’t see a need for Del Zotto.

Jason Strudwick:

No. He shouldn't be on the Oilers radar.

Brian Sutherby:

They already have a couple young Del Zotto type D-men and there is a reason he's still out there. I'd leave him there.

baggedmilk:

I would give Del Zotto a chance - what's the worst that could happen? Dude is only 24 so maybe he could figure this thing out.

Strike-a-Pose

5) Brayden Stang asks - The Oilers have a statue of Gretzky holding the Stanley Cup over his head. The Bruins have a statue of Bobby Orr flying through the air. If Oilers Nation was making a statue of each of you, what would your pose be?

Jonathan Willis:

For me, it's my best Tom Renney impression.

Renney

For the others, I picture Robin with a cigar and a shotgun (and/or lacrosse stick), Lowetide with a glass of scotch, an Expos ballcap and a dogeared copy of The Hockey News from 1982, and Gregor in rubber boots hauling a newborn calf out of its mother. Strudwick's statue must include a bag of those salted organic kale chips, and seeing as Sutherby's the overlord here maybe something involving the rest of us as his marionettes. Oh, and Baggedmilk? That's obvious, isn't it: A man carrying the world's worst milk conveying container.

Robin Brownlee:

Face-palming while reading the mailbag questions.

Lowetide:

Staring at Orr and Gretzky from the crowd!

Jason Gregor:

Chugging a beer. It is the only way to get through some of the comments.

Jason Strudwick:

Statue of David with a leaf

Brian Sutherby:

Something that shows off my amazing calfs

baggedmilk:

My statue pose is a no brainer... obviously I'm doing the D-Generation X suck it move. I would also be wearing a camel pack full of rum... and possibly an eye patch. I don't wear an eye patch normally but I think it would look bad ass.

For the others...

Jonathan Willis - This guy is a genius, so I picture him holding a Corsi bible and explaining it to peons like myself.

Robin Brownlee - Hugh Hefner outfit. Enough said

Wanye - Wanye would be wearing an Oodle Noodle box as a helmet and challenging a ram to a duel.

Sutherby and Strudwick would be immortalized in a statue of their fight.

Jason Gregor - His statue would be off himself, laying in a bathtub filled with cash, speaking into a radio mic.

Lowetide - His statue would be of him sitting around the fire telling hockey stories to the youngsters. The kids will listen, and they'll learn something.

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Twitter tyrant for @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#1 Ambassador humantorch
July 28 2014, 09:09AM

Great mailbag this week. Huge FIST bump to all o'yall!

#2 YarbeeZy
July 28 2014, 09:11AM

boo baggedmilk Yay Cartoned Milk.

#3 Jonathan Willis
July 28 2014, 10:29AM
YarbeeZy wrote:

boo baggedmilk Yay Cartoned Milk.

This is what I'm saying!

Goooooo cartons!

#4 Czar
July 28 2014, 10:43AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

This is what I'm saying!

Goooooo cartons!

I prefer the jugs!

#5 utarded
July 28 2014, 10:56AM

I tried explaining bagged milk to my American counterparts, all I received was snooty chortles of haughty derision.

#6 utarded
July 28 2014, 10:56AM

#7 YarbeeZy
July 28 2014, 10:57AM

@Czar

Jugged milk > Carton milk > Burlap sack milk > Milk directly from utter > Milk in an asbestos chalice > bagged milk

#8 Czar
July 28 2014, 11:32AM

I sure hope they have a wall of honor in the new arena. There have been several unsung heroes over the years who deserve the recognition.

#9 "Frank the dog"
July 28 2014, 11:51AM
Czar wrote:

Yeah, and then they'll put Bucky right up there with Smytty.

I didn't mind him as a player actually. He exemplified effort minus speed or skill. His coaching exemplified incompetence.

Not sure how good or bad a coach Smytty might me. Hopefully better than Bucky.

Bucky was the constant from MacT's last year through Quinn, Renney, Krueger and Eakins' disasters.

If the Oil offense explodes out the gate this year I may burn Bucky in effigy as punishment for all the bad years he brought this team.

#10 rubbertrout
July 28 2014, 12:43PM

I see Wanye couldn't be bothered . . .

#11 ubermiguel
July 28 2014, 12:43PM
Czar wrote:

I've been a fan of that idea for years. My list includes Smyth, Moog, Weight, Ranford, Joey Moss, and Lowe (for his playing days, years of service and GMing the 06 Cup run). Who am I missing?

#12 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
July 28 2014, 12:46PM

Aaand baggedmilk knocks it out of the park... again.

#13 68Merc
July 28 2014, 12:54PM

That fight between Struds & Sutherby would make an epic statue...throwin' bombs!

#14 Hall of a Player
July 28 2014, 01:38PM
Czar wrote:

I prefer the jugs!

I like the jugs as well. OH wait, we were talking about MILK jugs?? Never mind then...

#15 The Last Big Bear
July 28 2014, 02:32PM

Lets face it.

The only thing worse than bagged milk is powdered milk.

#16 They're $hittie
July 28 2014, 02:50PM

Yak-Ebe-Yak don't talk back.

Or you dont get no spending cash.

My bet on the first pun Gene throws out in Yak2's first game.

#17 bazmagoo
July 28 2014, 02:50PM

Love the mailbag, awesome weekly feature. Good job Oilersnation!

Overall I think MacT has done a good job but I can't really see any reason for choosing Nikitin over Del Zotto, can someone clue me in? Seems like you could likely get Del Zotto for 1 year at around 1.5 million (or less) whereas we ended up giving Nikitin 2 years at 4.5 million (plus a pick). I believe that could very likely prove to be an error. I must be missing something, maybe Nikitin's size is worth the extra $.

#18 Derian Hatcher
July 28 2014, 03:16PM

@bazmagoo

Don't have any inside info, but have a feeling that maybe there is more to Del Zotto not yet signed than the rough season he had last year. Why hasn't anyone picked him up?

#19 bazmagoo
July 28 2014, 04:00PM

@Derian Hatcher

True enough, there must be a reason. But the guy is 24 and has talent, hope someone gives him a 2nd chance.

#20 J.R.
July 28 2014, 05:34PM

Decent tilt between Suds and Struds.

Really enjoyed having Strudwick on the team. High character guy who would always throw down for the team.

Nice to have him at the Nation too.

#21 J.R.
July 28 2014, 05:35PM

Double post. Sorry Nation.

#25 KozyMel
July 28 2014, 06:52PM
Czar wrote:

I prefer the jugs!

jugs, just jugs ..... Yes, jugs

#26 PutzStew
July 28 2014, 08:16PM
"Frank the dog" wrote:

Yeah, and then they'll put Bucky right up there with Smytty.

Not sure how good or bad a coach Smytty might me. Hopefully better than Bucky.

Lowe and MacT would be there before Smyth. Just saying what they contributed to these team as player far exceeds what Smyth did.

#27 PutzStew
July 28 2014, 08:22PM
ubermiguel wrote:

Tikkinen (spelling), MacT, Simpson, Huddy, Smith, Weight, Semenko Hemsky (when Retired), Horcoff (when Retired), Cujo, Gregg, Marchant, Coffee... There are a lot of players that made the 80's great so a better question is where would you stop.

#28 Josh Oiler
July 28 2014, 08:23PM

MACTAVISH, KLowe, and Scotty Howson really dropped the ball BIGTIME when they missed the opportunity to sign Mike Robeiro. This dude is a 1C that we can slit in the 2C role.

So what he's kind of a head case. But so is Taylor Hall. And if any coach can straighten that Robeirro up with some tough love it our boy DALLAS EAKINS.

I'm so very upset and very very disappointed that I might boycott the Oilers this year.

They should have been after Robeiro on July 1 overpaying that piece of trash and locking him down for a couple years without hesitation. Lack of intelligence and urgency on the Oiler brass. Now we pay for it with another lottery pick year. Well MacT and Howson should be paying with their lives.... Ok maybe their jobs!!

#29 Josh Oiler
July 28 2014, 08:25PM

And above all that we could have had that piece of trash (Mike Robeiro) for absolutely NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! UFA!!!

#30 Josh Oiler
July 28 2014, 08:29PM

If anyone should be honored... It should be me.. JOSH OILER! The greatest underground hockey insider in Canada.

On July 29, 2014 lets all meet outside the front doors of the Oilers Office at Kingsway and petition Josh Oiler be recognized and honored at the Oilers opening game this year in October.

Are we all in or what?

#31 PutzStew
July 28 2014, 08:56PM
Josh Oiler wrote:

Are we all in or what?

LMAO. Great ending to a worthless blog. If it only somehow included fancy stats it would be perfect. Bravo.

#32 Quicksilver ballet
July 28 2014, 09:27PM

6'5" 210lbs, left shooting centerman turning 20 yrs old this coming season. Significantly further along the learning curve than Draisaitl.

Bogdan Yakimov deserves a good long look at camp in September. Maybe there's a little of that soaring like an eagle when playing with eagles thing going on there (like Marincin).

The Oilers haven't exactly been purveyors of NHL talent in recent years. It's very likely the Oilers couldn't recognize a decent player right under their noses.

#33 Casey
July 28 2014, 09:30PM

Say yes to Carton milk say BOO to baggedmilk!!!

#35 wes
July 28 2014, 11:14PM
utarded wrote:

"snooty chortles of haughty derision" is now my favorite thing. it's poetry.

#36 Spoils
July 29 2014, 08:19AM

they should definitely make a statue of Smitty crying like that - that exact face. maybe even in color.

just brings a huge smile to my face. what a heart!

if oil win in 06 the jersey gets retired. along with Todd Harvey's moustache