Justin Schultz, Jeff Petry take a pass on salary arbitration

Jonathan Willis
July 05 2014 04:36PM

19-Schultz-2

One of the interesting wrinkles in the contract negotiations between defencemen Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry was that the players had the right to take the team to arbitration, a right that had to be exercised by 5:00 PM New York time on July 5 if a hearing was to take place.

In an interesting bit of non-news, neither player was among the 20 listed by the NHLPA as filing for arbitration.

The List

Fully half of the league’s 30 teams now face the prospect of an arbitration hearing if they are unable to reach an agreement with their free agent(s) beforehand. The full list via the NHLPA can be found here, and there are some interesting names on it.

Montreal has an interesting summer ahead. P.K. Subban, as expected, exercised his right to arbitration, but he was joined by Lars Eller, the 25-year old who was so good in 2012-13 and during the playoffs for the Habs.

New York had three different players elect, and all three are key forwards: Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello. Toronto will have to deal with both Cody Franson and James Reimer, a duo that have been frequently mentioned in trade rumours over the last few months.

Alberta’s other team also has an interesting hearing coming up. 24-year-old Joe Colborne, a 6’5” centre, scored 28 points in his rookie NHL season in Calgary and now will elect for arbitration.

Reading the Tea Leaves

2-Petry-4

The decision by both players to pass on arbitration can be spun in any manner of ways, but the simplest is this: the team and the players are pretty much on the same page.

Petry in particular is interesting because he’s only a year from unrestricted free agency. If his camp had really wanted to play hardball, electing for salary arbitration would have been a great way to make sure that he both got paid and was free to test the market next summer. As Bruce McCurdy put in his take on the subject:

[Petry] held the “arbitration hammer” in what we can only presume are ongoing negotiations. That he chose not to exercise it may be a tell that things are close to a decision point. That could be an extension, or it could be a trade.

Possibly of interest is a comment from general manager Craig MacTavish on Jason Gregor’s show in mid-June, where he said the Oilers “fully anticipate” signing the defenceman to a new contact.

Schultz is less surprising, simply because of the many things Craig MacTavish has said about him in the past. For example, he was asked whether he’d prefer to sign Schultz to a bridge contract or a long-term deal at his end-of-season press availability and offered the following:

I’m open to both. It’ll be dependent on really what Justin wants to do. I think I’ve been clear all along on the upside that I see from Justin Schultz. He’s a developing player. He’s just completed his first NHL season, his upside is limitless. So I have a lot of confidence and would have the confidence to extend Justin on a long-term deal. When I analyze the deals that we’ve extended to some of the other players, some of the other long-term deals. I don’t think – I mean, the argument against a long-term deal for a young player is that it takes away their motivation, but I can’t say that any of those long-term deals has dissuaded any of those individuals from aspiring to be as good as they can be.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if in both of these cases the Oilers and the players involved have pretty decent communication and aren’t worried about arbitration. There are other possible interpretations, but Schultz and Petry opting to pass on the chance to get a second opinion on their value is probably good news for the team.

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Kim
July 05 2014, 05:04PM
Trash it!
128
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Petry for Frans Nielsen. Good for NYI good for Oilers

Avatar
#2 Jackson
July 05 2014, 05:53PM
Trash it!
102
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
bazmagoo wrote:

Happy to read this news! I really don't want the Oilers to be trading any players right now, just picks/prospects for NHL players from teams struggling with cap issues. We are two NHL players away from having a team that is able to push for a playoff spot in my opinion.

Ya,

Toews and Doughty and still they would not make the playoffs

Avatar
#3 Deezy
July 05 2014, 07:13PM
Trash it!
54
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Sign Justin, trade Petry

Avatar
#4 The Last Big Bear
July 05 2014, 06:07PM
Trash it!
44
trashes
Cheers
27
cheers

Both of these guys are going to want more money, and are going to get more money, than arbitration would give them.

An arbitrator will give you a league-wide average salary for comparable RFA players.

Which means they won't get the "Alberta Advantage", where the Oilers pay you vastly over the market rate because they are stone cold desperate.

And if the Oilers don't back up the Brinks truck to your door, you can't hold out if you've gone to arbitration.

Now I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "There's no way Justin Schultz would screw over the club that holds his contract rights like that. He's just not that kind of guy."

But the simple fact is that if either guy holds out, the Oilers would cave and cave HARD. They are going to suck badly, playoff hopes will be dim by November, pressure will be high, the club will be starving for NHL level talent, and these guys will be sitting there with their skates on and wallets open.

Arbitration that gives them the same salary that comparable players are getting on other teams is the last thing either of these guys wants, when they have every reason to expect to be paid considerably more.

Avatar
#5 Dwayne Roloson 35
July 05 2014, 06:05PM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

hi

Avatar
#6 Old time oil fan
July 05 2014, 09:00PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Both of these guys are going to want more money, and are going to get more money, than arbitration would give them.

An arbitrator will give you a league-wide average salary for comparable RFA players.

Which means they won't get the "Alberta Advantage", where the Oilers pay you vastly over the market rate because they are stone cold desperate.

And if the Oilers don't back up the Brinks truck to your door, you can't hold out if you've gone to arbitration.

Now I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "There's no way Justin Schultz would screw over the club that holds his contract rights like that. He's just not that kind of guy."

But the simple fact is that if either guy holds out, the Oilers would cave and cave HARD. They are going to suck badly, playoff hopes will be dim by November, pressure will be high, the club will be starving for NHL level talent, and these guys will be sitting there with their skates on and wallets open.

Arbitration that gives them the same salary that comparable players are getting on other teams is the last thing either of these guys wants, when they have every reason to expect to be paid considerably more.

Thank you for explaining the reality of the current day Oilers to the kool-aid drinking masses. As you explain not going to arbitration is in the best interest of these players. They may choose not to hold the Oil ransom but if they wanted to they certainly could. For those of you who think that these players passed on arbitration because they see the Oil as a winning destination....you make me laugh. Have another drink.

Avatar
#7 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:32AM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Both of these guys are going to want more money, and are going to get more money, than arbitration would give them.

An arbitrator will give you a league-wide average salary for comparable RFA players.

Which means they won't get the "Alberta Advantage", where the Oilers pay you vastly over the market rate because they are stone cold desperate.

And if the Oilers don't back up the Brinks truck to your door, you can't hold out if you've gone to arbitration.

Now I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "There's no way Justin Schultz would screw over the club that holds his contract rights like that. He's just not that kind of guy."

But the simple fact is that if either guy holds out, the Oilers would cave and cave HARD. They are going to suck badly, playoff hopes will be dim by November, pressure will be high, the club will be starving for NHL level talent, and these guys will be sitting there with their skates on and wallets open.

Arbitration that gives them the same salary that comparable players are getting on other teams is the last thing either of these guys wants, when they have every reason to expect to be paid considerably more.

Excellent point well argued.

Arbitration is the last thing any oiler should do as there is no mechanism in the directions to the arbitrator to account for the worst location in the nhl both geographically and - arguably - team management.

Holding out when the time comes is much more effective.

And spinning the declining to go to arb as being a good thing is naive pollyannism.

Avatar
#8 Smokey
July 05 2014, 06:08PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Frans Neilson a bonified 50 point 2nd line center in his prime for Jeff Petry a arguable number 4 on most good teams in the NHL?

You can argue either wah wbicb has more value. Looks like saw off for me.

Avatar
#9 Fresh Mess
July 05 2014, 06:52PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Nice to see neither wanted to risk bad blood - seems both would rather say here long-term, which means they haven't given up on the team and would like to be part of the solution. Also seems to indicate they buy into the plan MacT and Eakins are working on. Good news all-round.

Man, that is really what you get from this news? Well okay. Interesting.

Avatar
#10 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:49AM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Jeff has done well for himself in the early part of his career. He's one season away from calling his own shots from now on, and he's American.

Send him home while the Oilers still have some control over him. Petry++ for Sean Couturier, and let's get this party started here in Edmonton.

Did Jeff marry and Edmonton girl, or a girl from back home?

Interesting observation. I'm certainly not a fan of his play so far - and even though he's only played a couple seasons in the NHL he's quite a bit older and unlikely to get the kind of delta that a younger player would in the next couple years.

Dealing him now should definitely be considered but I highly doubt the close-minded management of this team has seriously discussed it even once.

Avatar
#11 pelhem grenville
July 05 2014, 04:59PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
76
cheers

...nice kids Jeff and Justin

salary arbitration is just a way of letting your boss say what a piece of Sh!t you are anyway ...

Avatar
#12 jdh10
July 05 2014, 05:33PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
50
cheers

@Kim We're not trading Petry. Especially not for Frans Nielsen. Thats actually the worst trade edmonton could make. How much more lopsided can a trade become?

Avatar
#13 jonny94
July 05 2014, 06:53PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Both of these guys are going to want more money, and are going to get more money, than arbitration would give them.

An arbitrator will give you a league-wide average salary for comparable RFA players.

Which means they won't get the "Alberta Advantage", where the Oilers pay you vastly over the market rate because they are stone cold desperate.

And if the Oilers don't back up the Brinks truck to your door, you can't hold out if you've gone to arbitration.

Now I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "There's no way Justin Schultz would screw over the club that holds his contract rights like that. He's just not that kind of guy."

But the simple fact is that if either guy holds out, the Oilers would cave and cave HARD. They are going to suck badly, playoff hopes will be dim by November, pressure will be high, the club will be starving for NHL level talent, and these guys will be sitting there with their skates on and wallets open.

Arbitration that gives them the same salary that comparable players are getting on other teams is the last thing either of these guys wants, when they have every reason to expect to be paid considerably more.

This whole quote is a joke. Are you either of their agents? Are you in talks with MacT? Didn't think so. Willis said it best with both of these players opting to pass arbitration is more likely good news then bad. I know you're not an Oilers fan so if you're going to comment on the team at least be reasonable, I bet you both Petry and Schultz sign fair value contracts and not cave HARD.

Avatar
#14 Slyers
July 06 2014, 01:22AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
The Last Big Bear wrote:

Both of these guys are going to want more money, and are going to get more money, than arbitration would give them.

An arbitrator will give you a league-wide average salary for comparable RFA players.

Which means they won't get the "Alberta Advantage", where the Oilers pay you vastly over the market rate because they are stone cold desperate.

And if the Oilers don't back up the Brinks truck to your door, you can't hold out if you've gone to arbitration.

Now I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "There's no way Justin Schultz would screw over the club that holds his contract rights like that. He's just not that kind of guy."

But the simple fact is that if either guy holds out, the Oilers would cave and cave HARD. They are going to suck badly, playoff hopes will be dim by November, pressure will be high, the club will be starving for NHL level talent, and these guys will be sitting there with their skates on and wallets open.

Arbitration that gives them the same salary that comparable players are getting on other teams is the last thing either of these guys wants, when they have every reason to expect to be paid considerably more.

Ok that's it I am officially starting a I.D.I.O.T.S list...and you are one of the official members. It stands for: Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.

The following members either offer nothing but contrary negative remarks serving no real purpose other than pissing people off, or offer non coherent trade proposals on a regular basis.

1. DSF 2. Serious Gord 3. Quick silver ballet 4. Madjam 5. Big Bear 6. Fresh Mess 7. Kozy Mel

Congratulations, the list will be up dated soon! Wow looking at the list... I maybe out numbered? Maybe my Grand daddy was right when he said "the dullards are out breeding us son, it's only a matter of time"...

Avatar
#15 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:43AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Ok that's it I am officially starting a I.D.I.O.T.S list...and you are one of the official members. It stands for: Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.

The following members either offer nothing but contrary negative remarks serving no real purpose other than pissing people off, or offer non coherent trade proposals on a regular basis.

1. DSF 2. Serious Gord 3. Quick silver ballet 4. Madjam 5. Big Bear 6. Fresh Mess 7. Kozy Mel

Congratulations, the list will be up dated soon! Wow looking at the list... I maybe out numbered? Maybe my Grand daddy was right when he said "the dullards are out breeding us son, it's only a matter of time"...

Very very proud to be on that list.

Where is DSF btw?

Avatar
#16 bwar
July 05 2014, 05:03PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
84
cheers

Rangers go to the cup final, three players file for arbitration. Oilers finish third last in the league and have no players file for arbitration. I guess the Oilers have some really potent Kool-Aid.

Avatar
#17 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:51AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Slyers wrote:

1. DSF 2. Serious Gord 3. Quick silver ballet 4. Madjam 5. Big Bear 6. Fresh Mess 7. Kozy Mel 8. Rex Holez

Congratulations!

P.s disagreeing is good, debate is good, being contrary on everything with out reason or foundation ...... Welcome to the I.D.I.O.T.S list!!

Please cite the case where I have put forth an opinion where I did not provide reasons or foundation.

Avatar
#18 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:57AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
The Last Big Bear wrote:

It's not about "what's he worth", it's about "what's he worth to the Oilers?"

You say he's worth $2.5m-ish.

OK, well let's say he holds out, or demands a trade or something.

Can the Oilers replace him for $2.5m?

Not. A. Hope. It cost the Oilers $4.5m to replace Nick Schultz... by signing the guy who lost his spot to Nick Schultz.

Arbitration might say he's worth $2.5m but there's no way the Oilers could replace him at that price, so he's clearly worth much more than that to this club. Arbitration would give him what he's worth in the league, but negotiation will give him what he's worth to Edmonton. And last time I checked I think he was leading the team in minutes.

Agreed. The sad, grim reality is that the teams management has such a stench of incompetence - and track record of having players underperform that in addition to their being a location charge to be paid there is also a management charge.

If management was significantly above average with an excellent track record not only would there be no management charge the location charge would be waived - players could conceivably play for less than they could get elsewhere.

Does anyone think the clowns running the oil currently will ever earn that kind of reputation?

Avatar
#19 bazmagoo
July 05 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers

@Jackson

Haha have to disagree with you there. One 2nd line center and 1 #1 defenceman and we are a playoff team. Not quite there yet that's for sure.

Avatar
#20 Walter white
July 05 2014, 07:03PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
bwar wrote:

Rangers go to the cup final, three players file for arbitration. Oilers finish third last in the league and have no players file for arbitration. I guess the Oilers have some really potent Kool-Aid.

The Ranger players to the arbitrator: "I contributed to the Rangers making it to the finals..."

The Oiler players to the arbitrator: "I contributed to the Oilers being the worst NHL team in history over the last 8 years...."

I wonder why the Oilers did not choose arbitration......!!!!!

WW

Avatar
#21 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 12:12PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You doubt Oiler management has discussed trading Petry even once despite there being nothing but rumors that the Oilers will trade Petry over the last week.

I believe the term is willfully ignorant.

I actually think they have discussed trading Petry and that much of the talk in the media is being fed by contacts with team management.

Avatar
#22 jdh10
July 05 2014, 05:35PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
43
cheers

@kim Sorry not lopsided exactly. It would just hurt edmonton much more an benefit NYI a lot. Petry is very underrated and needed by this Oilers team

Avatar
#24 Fresh Mess
July 05 2014, 07:25PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Walter white wrote:

The Ranger players to the arbitrator: "I contributed to the Rangers making it to the finals..."

The Oiler players to the arbitrator: "I contributed to the Oilers being the worst NHL team in history over the last 8 years...."

I wonder why the Oilers did not choose arbitration......!!!!!

WW

Say my name.

Avatar
#25 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 11:41AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

"An aging Detroit club that needs to rebuild" would be a pretty accurate description of the team from the late 1990's on.

They've stayed the course. It's worked well for them. I'd expect more of the same.

From the late nineties on they had a defenseman by the name of lidstrom...

Without him they have been exposed and need to rebuild/retool.

Datsuyk would be an interesting player to put to market but I suspect the organization would only trade him if he asked to be and I doubt very much the oilers would be one of his choices unless he's homesick for Siberian-type weather.

Avatar
#26 Max
July 06 2014, 03:15PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

SLYERS: I like your I.D.I.O.T.S list. Please could you add all those who make it a point of correcting grammar and spelling etc. Perhaps these people don't understand that many people have English as their 2nd language, they may be dyslexic, or have other learning disabilities. They may also be poorly educated through no fault of their own. This website is for personal opinions regarding the Oilers NOT a forum for wanna-be school teachers berating people for things that may not be their faults.

Avatar
#27 Sevenseven
July 05 2014, 04:55PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
89
cheers

Dpes this mean the players dont have a big issue about playing here? Are things finally turning around?

Avatar
#28 The Last Big Bear
July 05 2014, 07:17PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
jonny94 wrote:

This whole quote is a joke. Are you either of their agents? Are you in talks with MacT? Didn't think so. Willis said it best with both of these players opting to pass arbitration is more likely good news then bad. I know you're not an Oilers fan so if you're going to comment on the team at least be reasonable, I bet you both Petry and Schultz sign fair value contracts and not cave HARD.

Well, it's a good sign from the point of view that arbitration is probably the fastest route to free agency for these guys, so this is at least a sign that they're not desperate to leave Edmonton.

But neither of these guys is in real danger of being bent over and forced to take significantly less than their market value. So there's no benefit for them to file arbitration from a salary stand point.

They will get more money from negotiation (which may include holding out) than they ever would through arbitration.

Avatar
#29 Walter White
July 05 2014, 07:34PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

Say my name.

"You're G.. MD... Right I'm Heisenberg!!!"

WW

Avatar
#30 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 12:12PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Zarny wrote:

You doubt Oiler management has discussed trading Petry even once despite there being nothing but rumors that the Oilers will trade Petry over the last week.

I believe the term is willfully ignorant.

I actually think they have discussed trading Petry and that much of the talk in the media is being fed by contacts with team management.

Avatar
#31 ThinkingOutLoud
July 05 2014, 04:59PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
71
cheers

Nice to see neither wanted to risk bad blood - seems both would rather say here long-term, which means they haven't given up on the team and would like to be part of the solution. Also seems to indicate they buy into the plan MacT and Eakins are working on. Good news all-round.

Avatar
#32 bazmagoo
July 05 2014, 05:47PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
48
cheers

Happy to read this news! I really don't want the Oilers to be trading any players right now, just picks/prospects for NHL players from teams struggling with cap issues. We are two NHL players away from having a team that is able to push for a playoff spot in my opinion.

Avatar
#33 Jeffff
July 05 2014, 07:08PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

NYI are going to gain the most points from last years record

Colorado is going to lose the most points from last years record

Avatar
#34 Fresh Mess
July 05 2014, 07:48PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Walter White wrote:

"You're G.. MD... Right I'm Heisenberg!!!"

WW

Walt Whitman?

Avatar
#35 Slyers
July 06 2014, 03:52PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Please cite the case where I have put forth an opinion where I did not provide reasons or foundation.

Sure, if you can show me one case in which you showed any balance to your pompous tirades. As for DSF I think he might be looking up "pollyannism" from your post.... Could take him awhile. Do you see the irony in you complaining about the arrogance of Oiler management, and you're "style" of posts and calls to the talk shows? Here's a clue, look at how many trashes you get, but you probably believe it is because you are just smarter than everyone else....oooooh the irony!

Avatar
#36 Quicksilver ballet
July 06 2014, 11:09PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Serious Gord

The one drawback of summer.

All these kids going from the classroom, to their moms basement to let us all know first hand, how awesome they are.

Just imagine how bad it would be if these I.D.I.O.T.S (Slayer type kids) were old enough to buy their own drink.

Avatar
#37 Walter White
July 05 2014, 08:10PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

Walt Whitman?

"I am the one who knocks..."

WW

Avatar
#38 qwerty
July 05 2014, 09:07PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

would Jultz's decision have anything to do with the fact that his comparable would be Marc Andre Bergeron? whats that worth, 900k?

Avatar
#39 bulldog12
July 06 2014, 10:08AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Ok that's it I am officially starting a I.D.I.O.T.S list...and you are one of the official members. It stands for: Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.

The following members either offer nothing but contrary negative remarks serving no real purpose other than pissing people off, or offer non coherent trade proposals on a regular basis.

1. DSF 2. Serious Gord 3. Quick silver ballet 4. Madjam 5. Big Bear 6. Fresh Mess 7. Kozy Mel

Congratulations, the list will be up dated soon! Wow looking at the list... I maybe out numbered? Maybe my Grand daddy was right when he said "the dullards are out breeding us son, it's only a matter of time"...

7 members only 7 trashes Should tell you something. Should be 8 members you forgot Recthole. You 8 should try flames nation then the rest of us could carry on intelligent conversations

Avatar
#40 The Last Big Bear
July 06 2014, 01:08PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Good grief, talk of hold outs is nothing but baseless gossip fitting the Enquirer or TMZ.

You are correct though that an arbitrator would decide based on comparable RFA players.

And the comparables don't really favor Schultz or Petry. Whether you look at a bridge contract like Subban's or longer extensions like Josi and Hedman there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

As Mr. Kadri found out last year teams hold the hammer with RFA's and if you go to arbitration it isn't a pleasant process for the players.

I suspect Schultz and Petry opted to forgo arbitration to avoid seeing clips of cross ice passes being intercepted and Blake Wheeler overpowering Petry to win the game in OT on continuous loop compared to setting themselves up to hold out.

At least they won't get Deryk Engelland money. Now there is a beaut.

You start with a "good grief", and then go on to repeat exactly what I said.

That both of these guys will get paid more outside of arbitration than they would if they filed for an impartial judgement of their worth.

Which means that them avoiding arbitration means nothing.

I'm not saying these guys are planning on holding out. I was illustrating that even if they are planning on playing the hardest of hardball (and they do have the leverage to do it IMO), there is no scenario where it's in their interest to apply for arbitration.

And you think neither of these guys is going to get Derek Engelland money?

Really?

That's... Wildly optimistic of you.

Avatar
#41 Harry
July 06 2014, 01:38PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Agreed. The sad, grim reality is that the teams management has such a stench of incompetence - and track record of having players underperform that in addition to their being a location charge to be paid there is also a management charge.

If management was significantly above average with an excellent track record not only would there be no management charge the location charge would be waived - players could conceivably play for less than they could get elsewhere.

Does anyone think the clowns running the oil currently will ever earn that kind of reputation?

What?! Do you honestly believe the constant whiny bullshjt you write on here? You think players get more money based on who the manager is? Management charge?!

Avatar
#42 Slyers
July 06 2014, 03:54PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Max wrote:

SLYERS: I like your I.D.I.O.T.S list. Please could you add all those who make it a point of correcting grammar and spelling etc. Perhaps these people don't understand that many people have English as their 2nd language, they may be dyslexic, or have other learning disabilities. They may also be poorly educated through no fault of their own. This website is for personal opinions regarding the Oilers NOT a forum for wanna-be school teachers berating people for things that may not be their faults.

Thanks, well said ....Done!

Avatar
#43 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 05:41PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Harry wrote:

What?! Do you honestly believe the constant whiny bullshjt you write on here? You think players get more money based on who the manager is? Management charge?!

If a teams management sucks then players - free agents - will not play there unless they get more than they would where a teams management does not suck.

Just look at what Richards dis vis-a-vis Chicago. Do you think he signs to that little if Chicago management was as bad as it was during the latter years of bill wirtz' ownership?

Simple logic - not bull$hit.

Avatar
#44 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 05:47PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Sure, if you can show me one case in which you showed any balance to your pompous tirades. As for DSF I think he might be looking up "pollyannism" from your post.... Could take him awhile. Do you see the irony in you complaining about the arrogance of Oiler management, and you're "style" of posts and calls to the talk shows? Here's a clue, look at how many trashes you get, but you probably believe it is because you are just smarter than everyone else....oooooh the irony!

Changing your argument mid-stream. Because you have no grounds to make it. (As I suspected)

I absolutely have bias. So do you. I make no attempt to be balanced sometimes (I do on other occasions as any one who has heard me on stauffer et al shows can attest - but in a conversational situation that is much more likely because their is an immediate back and forth and taking one'a adversaries objections into account can be a very effective way of dulling the strength of their position and getting sympathy for yours.

In the blogging word, this oftentimes is less effective in my experience as there are others on both sides usually participating.

And as for the numbers of for/against - it is entirely understandable that I would get more negatives than positives - this is an oilers fan website after all - go look up the definition of fan. And it doesn't bother me in the least.

(Thanks for reading/responding)

Avatar
#45 madjam
July 05 2014, 10:49PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

What should we give to get Datsyuk , whose numbers are plummeting over last two seasons with an aging Detroit club that needs to rebuild ?

Avatar
#46 RexHolez
July 06 2014, 04:25AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Slyers

do you disagree that the oilers have to overpay for FA's? will you only be happy surrounded by yes men posting nothing but praise and mindless glorification?

fact is they're the worst team in the nhl for the past decade and one of the worst pro franchises in the world. sorry if some of arnt used to bending over and pulling our pants down.

Avatar
#47 Big K
July 06 2014, 03:32PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I started an account on here for one reason. I'm ahuge oilers fan and am soooo tired of all the supposed fans!!!

I agree we have been terrible for years, but if your a fan show some faith!! Mac T has this, cause you all know you"ll be right back on the were the best team ever. For ---- sakes these people i speak of sound like dirty canauck fans @!! Trust me I'm form B.C!!!

Avatar
#48 Chainsawz
July 05 2014, 06:50PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

By not going to arbritration, they also still can have another team negotiate their contract via offer sheet....

If both players get market for their services, it'll leave around $3 million for a second line center. I'm curious how this plays out as if both players are Oilers at puck drop, either a significant winger is out or a less than desirable option Is deployed at 2C.

Avatar
#49 Oilers4ever
July 05 2014, 08:03PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
Jackson wrote:

Ya,

Toews and Doughty and still they would not make the playoffs

Arsehole....

Comments are closed for this article.