Mark Fayne and Murderer’s Row

Jonathan Willis
July 06 2014 05:00PM

Mark Fayne

The Edmonton Oilers have made a pile of moves this summer, but the addition of Mark Fayne to an often overmatched defence corps might be the biggest.

He has something of a track record against good players.

What He Said

Jason Gregor had a nice piece on Fayne a couple of days ago, and he included some quotes from the defenceman which were revealing.

Particularly interesting to me was his comment on the matchups he faces:

Over the past few years I’ve developed into more of a stay home, shutdown guy playing against tougher opposition on a nightly basis. I think I’ve done my best when I am challenged the most, and I have to be aware of who is on the ice at all times. It’s a good challenge that I like taking on.

(emphasis mine)

Sometimes, players say things that don’t check out when you dig into the data. In this case, Fayne may well have understated things.

Murderer’s Row

Fayne’s played in the Eastern Conference for his entire career, but even so his most frequent 25 opponents feature some of the game’s biggest names. Fayne’s been on the ice against John Tavares more than against any other player in the league. Claude Giroux ranks third, Eric Staal fourth. Other notables include James Neal, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, Phil Kessel, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik and Tyler Seguin.

It’s a pretty impressive group.

Fayne’s posted a positive Corsi against that list of 25, nearly three full percentage points better than the average opponent those players face (and keep in mind that as a rule they’ll have been playing against good defencemen).

It’s not all him. He played most frequently with Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder, and he played on a New Jersey Devils team that more often than not has been a strong club during his tenure.

85-Marincin-2

Now, he’ll play with an Edmonton Oilers club that has no recent history of success. There is no Greene or younger version of Tallinder to be his partner; he’s likely either getting a second-tier veteran (Nikita Nikitin or Andrew Ference) or a rookie still finding his way in the majors.

But the key point here is that Oilers aren’t bringing somebody in to play a role he hasn’t had success in before. Fayne’s spent significant time assigned to some of the toughest matchups in the league, and he’s done a nice job in the role. This could be a major add for Edmonton.

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 @Oilanderp
July 06 2014, 09:31PM
Trash it!
53
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Poor Fayne,

He doesn't realize that now that the Oilers almost have a serviceable d-corps, they are going to trade away one of their best d-men.

Why? Because Oilers. Welcome to Hell's Kitchen, Mark Fayne.

Avatar
#52 Sorensenator
July 06 2014, 09:33PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

1. Lots of career AHL goalies who fail at the nhl level.

2. Age can be a factor we saw it first hand with pat Quinn. I (we?) have no idea if the same is the case with Ramsay. We do know that he is a hero of Eakins much as Quinn was a hero of tambellini and a good friend of lowes (via hockey canada). Let's hope it hasn't blinded management to ramsays possible deficiencies.

4. Defense might - on paper should be better - but it might be worse if both smid and Petry are gone and Ference has deteriorated even further by the start of the season. Amazing but possible.

Smid was terrible last year, if he was one of the Oilers best D at the time, Mac T would not have moved him, guaranteed.

Ference is a fitness machine, I am not worried about him deteriorating for at least another two years.

Avatar
#53 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 09:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

Poor Fayne,

He doesn't realize that now that the Oilers almost have a serviceable d-corps, they are going to trade away one of their best d-men.

Why? Because Oilers. Welcome to Hell's Kitchen, Mark Fayne.

On what basis do you believe they will trade away one of their best d-men?..........besides fans posting possible EAsports trades

Avatar
#54 Ed in Edmonton
July 06 2014, 09:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
40
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

1. Goaltending is the least experienced in the league by a wide margin. It could turn out to be even worse than last year.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

3. Maturity should help, but another miserable season could see maturity combined with atrophy in competitiveness and desire to win.

And players like Hendricks, Gordon and Ference maybe maturing into obsolescence.

4. Defense is better? Again a big maybe. And the roster may not be settled there yet.

5. Forwards are not deeper at center. And that's saying an awful lot considering how weak the team was last year.

6. Prospects are still prospects and shouldn't be relied upon to do any heavy lifting.

Being meek about what the team looks to be is to be irrelevant in the conversation.

1 Agree goaltending is a question mark. Scrivens played very well at the end of last year, but has not proven that he can sustain that performance throughout a year. Fasth has played only a few NHL games.

2. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you were highly critical of Eakins last year as being too young (or at least too inexperienced). Please let us know what the age limits are for NHL coaches.

4. I think it is a reasonable expectation to replace the likes of Belov and Larsen with established NHL defencemen will yield an improvement. I don't know enough about Fayne, Nikitun or Aullie to comment on specifics, but Faynae and Nikitun are proven NHL defencemen.

5. Center problem must be addressed. If it is not, then MacT deserves to be criticized.

6. Agree. One thing the Oil fans should have learned over the last number of years of that 18 year olds almost never help a team win. Even if they might put up some nice scoring numbers etc., their overall game is almost never good enough. If they address point 5, then maybe 6 falls off the list.

Gord, you seem incapable of rationally analyzing any Oiler move. You seem to be coming from the assumption that anything they do must be wrong and once a move is made you quickly ratioanlize why it is bad and why MacT must therefore be an idiot.

Avatar
#55 hello
July 06 2014, 09:45PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Danger Pay wrote:

All aboard the Fayne Train! D- Fence! (clap, clap) D-Fence!

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

Avatar
#56 Dwayne Roloson 35
July 06 2014, 09:50PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@The Last Big Bear

Yeah. no real conversations.

"here's hoping these fancy stats don't change much playing on this club. but I have a funny feeling..."

this guys point is valid. we have seen a lot of players fail when coming here dating way back to 2007. it got trashed big time.

"Are you having weird sensations in your head? That "funny feeling" might indicate this signing might be another good move by MacT. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?"

This comment was given many cheers and its a really immature response pretty much saying "i dont agree so youre wrong". plus its just insulting and dismissive.

cant believe people agree with that crap.

Avatar
#57 Ed in Edmonton
July 06 2014, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

1. Goaltending is the least experienced in the league by a wide margin. It could turn out to be even worse than last year.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

3. Maturity should help, but another miserable season could see maturity combined with atrophy in competitiveness and desire to win.

And players like Hendricks, Gordon and Ference maybe maturing into obsolescence.

4. Defense is better? Again a big maybe. And the roster may not be settled there yet.

5. Forwards are not deeper at center. And that's saying an awful lot considering how weak the team was last year.

6. Prospects are still prospects and shouldn't be relied upon to do any heavy lifting.

Being meek about what the team looks to be is to be irrelevant in the conversation.

Re point 3. Given forwards start to drop off after 30 and dmen after 32...

Gordon is 30 and there may not be much drop off, if any.

Gordon and Ferrence are definitely in the range where drop off is likely. With the increased depth on the wing, I think Gordon is likely to be limited to 4th line minutes. If so, any drop off may not be a problem.

Avatar
#58 Ed in Edmonton
July 06 2014, 10:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Re point 3. Given forwards start to drop off after 30 and dmen after 32...

Gordon is 30 and there may not be much drop off, if any.

Gordon and Ferrence are definitely in the range where drop off is likely. With the increased depth on the wing, I think Gordon is likely to be limited to 4th line minutes. If so, any drop off may not be a problem.

Oops, "Gordon and Ferrence are definitely in the range where drop off is likely. With the increased depth on the wing, I think Gordon is likely to be limited to 4th line minutes. If so, any drop off may not be a problem" I meant Hendricks, not Gordon.

Avatar
#59 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

1. It is an argument - and a sound one - experience in leagues other than the nhl - the closest being the ahl but all being inferior to the nhl is often no indicator of how that player will do in the elite nhl.

2. Stauffer and others have spoken and written at length about how Quinn was past it.

OK, lets clear this up:

1. You said "Goaltending is the least experienced in the league by a wide margin. It could turn out to be even worse than last year"

2. I said "Fasth is 32 and has played 226 professional games? Scrivens is 27" (The Ducks tandem has played a total of 31 NHL games and are aged 20 and 24) YOU WERE WRONG

3. Yout then abandon your original point and said "Lots of career AHL goalies who fail at the nhl level"

4. I then corrected you and brought up that neither goalie would be considered an AHL player with Fasth playing 184 min total in the AHL (and Scrivens has played in the NHL for the last 5 years) I suggested the term unproven starter....AGAIN you were wrong.

5. You then brought up a new point "experience in leagues other than the nhl - the closest being the ahl but all being inferior to the nhl is often no indicator of how that player will do in the elite nhl"

6. I am saying both goalies have had a season the last 2 years in the NHL with .920 S%. They both have had success in the NHL. They are unproven starters, but NONE of your previous 3 posts are correct

Avatar
#60 jdh10
July 06 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers
Old time oil fan wrote:

You're quite the idiot to be making any judgement at this time. Obviously your criteria is much different than mine. I'll decide if it was a good move once he gets a chance to lace up and actually hit the ice. After all that is where the game is won and lost. Victory in July !!! You make me laugh.

He's the idiot? MacT is doing his job as the GENERAL MANAGER to ice a NHL caliber roster. How the player preforms is the player him self and the coach. You're the idiot. MacT took the weaknesses in our own zone and size on this roster and added both. He has created the bottom 6 to fill those two voids voids VERY well, along with adding 2 actual NHL d-men.

I believe @OilPain is not an idiot. He appreciates the fact MacT is doing the job he needs to.

Avatar
#61 Slyers
July 06 2014, 10:18PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

Funny how you call other sheep when you are unable to go in any other direction then the " oilers" suck" try to have a original thought. Time to readjust my previous I.D.I.O.T.S list (Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.)

1. Serious Gord . 2. Rex Holez 3.Putz Stew 4. Quick silver ballet 5. Madjam 6. Big Bear 7. Fresh Mess 8. Kozy Mel 9. DSF

We are now accepting nominations

P.s disagreeing is good, debate is good, being contrary on everything with out reason or foundation ...... Welcome to the I.D.I.O.T.S list!!

Avatar
#62 Oilbaron
July 06 2014, 10:19PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

wow, so much drama in these comments.

Serious Gordon I understand not wanting to be optimistic but try not to let your cynicism overcome your love for the game.

can't we just be excited to watch another season of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, YAKUPOV!, Schultz and Perron? These players are making the game more entertaining, and this September they will be older and have more of an NHL caliber supporting cast.

By the way debbie downers every team is run by a billionaire with an old boys club, at least Mac-T is earning his Rexall dollars.

Avatar
#63 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 10:23PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Funny how you call other sheep when you are unable to go in any other direction then the " oilers" suck" try to have a original thought. Time to readjust my previous I.D.I.O.T.S list (Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.)

1. Serious Gord . 2. Rex Holez 3.Putz Stew 4. Quick silver ballet 5. Madjam 6. Big Bear 7. Fresh Mess 8. Kozy Mel 9. DSF

We are now accepting nominations

P.s disagreeing is good, debate is good, being contrary on everything with out reason or foundation ...... Welcome to the I.D.I.O.T.S list!!

I have wondered what happened to old DSF. I actually don't recall # 3, 6, 7, 8. I am quite surprised newagesystems isn't on there....he was special. I would bump DSF past QSB since at least 25% of the time he makes a valid thought.

Avatar
#64 djc
July 06 2014, 10:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Funny how you call other sheep when you are unable to go in any other direction then the " oilers" suck" try to have a original thought. Time to readjust my previous I.D.I.O.T.S list (Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.)

1. Serious Gord . 2. Rex Holez 3.Putz Stew 4. Quick silver ballet 5. Madjam 6. Big Bear 7. Fresh Mess 8. Kozy Mel 9. DSF

We are now accepting nominations

P.s disagreeing is good, debate is good, being contrary on everything with out reason or foundation ...... Welcome to the I.D.I.O.T.S list!!

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and just skip over the comments of any of the people on your list. They just want an audience and attention and you keep giving it to them by reading their comments and wasting your time replying.

Avatar
#65 Slyers
July 06 2014, 10:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
djc wrote:

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and just skip over the comments of any of the people on your list. They just want an audience and attention and you keep giving it to them by reading their comments and wasting your time replying.

Your right, unfortunately they have highjacked an otherwise great website....sad

I love a good debate .... Not the same negative thought over and over without any objectivity.

Avatar
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Dwayne Roloson 35 wrote:

Yeah. no real conversations.

"here's hoping these fancy stats don't change much playing on this club. but I have a funny feeling..."

this guys point is valid. we have seen a lot of players fail when coming here dating way back to 2007. it got trashed big time.

"Are you having weird sensations in your head? That "funny feeling" might indicate this signing might be another good move by MacT. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?"

This comment was given many cheers and its a really immature response pretty much saying "i dont agree so youre wrong". plus its just insulting and dismissive.

cant believe people agree with that crap.

You're right Dwayne (cool name btw), taken only on its own, the initial comment is fair and valid. There is no shortage of disappointing acquisitions in the post-Pronger era.

However, taken in the context of the endless negative spam for which the poster is known, it's just more of the same complaining, hence all the trashes I assume.

Furthermore, the 'insulting and dismissive' retort was at least a clever way of pointing out that it would be out of the ordinary - a new feeling per se - for Rex to experience appreciating a good move by MacT.

I, for one, do not dismiss every comment made by Rex because I disagree. I dismiss because there's almost never anything new to say.

That being said, how about some real conversation? Is Fayne going to be a key piece in a much improved defensive group, or will he just be the next Whitney/Barker/Belov/Tjarnqvist? Is MacT done? Will/should Petry and Schultz be re-signed?

Avatar
#67 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
July 06 2014, 10:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
40
cheers

1. There are

2. Too many

3. Comments posted

4. In this

5. List structure.

6. Flames suck.

Avatar
#68 Sorensenator
July 06 2014, 10:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

Poor Fayne,

He doesn't realize that now that the Oilers almost have a serviceable d-corps, they are going to trade away one of their best d-men.

Why? Because Oilers. Welcome to Hell's Kitchen, Mark Fayne.

Says who?

Obviously you are talking about Jeff Petry. The advanced statistics may point to a decent defenseman, however I have watched him time and time again turn over the puck and be directly responsible for a goal against almost every single game.

He has the ability to move the puck well and he is an excellent skater, and has even layed a big hit every now and then but he has these brain dead moments all the freakin time.

If he can play to his ability consistently then I want Jeff Petry on my team. If not, I want that second line centre because I know we have Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat, Musil, Simpson etc..on their way up.

Avatar
#69 hello
July 06 2014, 10:59PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Craig1981 wrote:

On what basis do you believe they will trade away one of their best d-men?..........besides fans posting possible EAsports trades

SALARY CAP

Avatar
#71 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 11:10PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
hello wrote:

SALARY CAP

They have 12M to sign 2 RFA d-men. How much do you think they are going to get???!!!!

Avatar
#72 nunyour
July 06 2014, 11:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

I wonder if these people talking trash would do it face to face?

Avatar
#73 hello
July 06 2014, 11:28PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Craig1981 wrote:

They have 12M to sign 2 RFA d-men. How much do you think they are going to get???!!!!

If they don't want to wade into the bonus cushion they have roughly 8.8 to sign 2 RFA D-men. Keeping in mind Nikitin and Fayne combined cost 8.125, that does not leave much for a #2 center.

Avatar
#74 Reg Dunlop
July 06 2014, 11:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Craig1981

Ultimately, salary cap drives moves like the possible departure of Petry. There may be upgrades shaking loose because of other team's cap issues, it's nice to be able to act on these. Can't do it if we have no wiggle room. There will be injuries and under-performing players during the year. Nice to be able to address these things without having to salary dump like the Smid situation, even though other things likely contributed to Smid bye bye. Bottom line is if Petry can be replaced cheaper, by der Bomber or Nurse or whomever, leaving cap room for unexpected additions, that's a good thing.

But I hope they keep Petry. And young Schultz.

Avatar
#75 Ohhelloder
July 06 2014, 11:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
hello wrote:

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

Just like the year they made the finals?

Avatar
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
hello wrote:

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

Agreed. Hold off on the parade. But how do you figure that Fayne was a 4/5 D-man? Unless my reading skills have dropped off sharply, I believe the whole article was written around the premise that Fayne plays more minutes against the elite scorers, and that his numbers are very good in those situations. I would say the D that play (and outperform their teams) against the toughest opposition would generally be considered top pairing guys.

On another note - it's nice to see a new and deserving candidate for the 'who should we have one the ice in the final minute to protect a one-goal lead?' role?

Avatar
#77 Quicksilver ballet
July 06 2014, 11:52PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

A number of MSM types have mentioned we've witnessed the death of the defensive defenseman this summer. Isn't this Mark Fayne to a T?

Hope his feet can keep pace in this quicker more violent western conference. Guess there's hope in Nikitin atleast.

Avatar
#78 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 11:56PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
hello wrote:

If they don't want to wade into the bonus cushion they have roughly 8.8 to sign 2 RFA D-men. Keeping in mind Nikitin and Fayne combined cost 8.125, that does not leave much for a #2 center.

Capgeek has them listed at 11.85Million in space. Yak does have a 2.85M in bonuses and $140,000 for Marincin. So that might be your 8.8M.

Now here is the "BIG BUT" (that would be a great user name). That 3 Million cushion only counts against next year if it is used. I think its safe to use 2/3 of that.

These bonuses are:

-top 6 in icetime for forwards (Yak was 9th last year)

-20 goals (he got 11 last year, but might this year)

-60 points (he got 21 last year)

-top 3 +/- on the team of forwards (hahahahaha)

-allstar game (hahahahaha)

-.73 PPG(blahahaha)

-allstar MVP(OMG this is better than dave coulier standup

I don't believe Yak hit ONE bonus last year, he won't hit many this year.

Fayne and Nikitin were UFAs not RFAs. Apples to oranges

source: http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-entry-level-contracts-work

Avatar
#79 hello
July 07 2014, 12:07AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@The 90's were worse (Formerly Oilers need Ogie Oglethorpe)

The 4/5 D-man comment is based on TOI. While he was the 3rd D-man on the Devils in overall TOI, he was 6th in TOI/Game. This suggests that when other players were healthy (Volchenkov, Salvador), they were given minutes before Fayne. He was also 4th in Devils D-men in PK TOI, suggesting he was not on the first PK unit.

TOI is pretty basic, but in this instance I think it shows that Fayne was not a top option for the Devils.

But who knows... :)

Avatar
#80 Harry
July 07 2014, 12:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
hello wrote:

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

Did you not read the article. Check out the guys most common oponents.

Avatar
#81 Harry
July 07 2014, 12:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
nunyour wrote:

I wonder if these people talking trash would do it face to face?

I wouldnt say it to QSB's face. Apparently people (himself) say he can really chuck the knuckles.

Avatar
#82 @Oilanderp
July 07 2014, 01:07AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Craig1981 wrote:

On what basis do you believe they will trade away one of their best d-men?..........besides fans posting possible EAsports trades

It's all over the media. I've seen a lot of instances where the Oilers develop players for other teams to enjoy their peak years. I hope those days are over.

Avatar
#83 Devolution
July 07 2014, 04:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I think it is great that we seem to have considerably improved the defense in the past week or so, but...

Let's not forget that mid-season stretch where the team went something like 10 periods at home without scoring a goal.

I know part of that is defense not getting the puck to the forwards but still, there is a ways to go.

Avatar
#84 Chainsawz
July 07 2014, 06:37AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Craig1981 wrote:

Capgeek has them listed at 11.85Million in space. Yak does have a 2.85M in bonuses and $140,000 for Marincin. So that might be your 8.8M.

Now here is the "BIG BUT" (that would be a great user name). That 3 Million cushion only counts against next year if it is used. I think its safe to use 2/3 of that.

These bonuses are:

-top 6 in icetime for forwards (Yak was 9th last year)

-20 goals (he got 11 last year, but might this year)

-60 points (he got 21 last year)

-top 3 +/- on the team of forwards (hahahahaha)

-allstar game (hahahahaha)

-.73 PPG(blahahaha)

-allstar MVP(OMG this is better than dave coulier standup

I don't believe Yak hit ONE bonus last year, he won't hit many this year.

Fayne and Nikitin were UFAs not RFAs. Apples to oranges

source: http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-entry-level-contracts-work

$11.85 million in cap space.

I expect Petry to get a 2 year deal at $4 million per. (Comparable: Hjalmarsson)

I'm thinking MacTavish caves and locks Schultz up 6+ years at $5 million per. (Comparable: Faulk)

That leaves $2.85 million for a 2C. That's not a lot. Who are the Oilers going to get with that cash?

How much do you think they are going to sign for?

Avatar
#85 K_Mart
July 07 2014, 07:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

So much hate.

Avatar
#86 K_Mart
July 07 2014, 07:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Chainsawz wrote:

$11.85 million in cap space.

I expect Petry to get a 2 year deal at $4 million per. (Comparable: Hjalmarsson)

I'm thinking MacTavish caves and locks Schultz up 6+ years at $5 million per. (Comparable: Faulk)

That leaves $2.85 million for a 2C. That's not a lot. Who are the Oilers going to get with that cash?

How much do you think they are going to sign for?

I have a feeling jultz and petry both get 4 MAX. And the 2C comes via trade so that leaves more room. The cap space has definitely shrunk, but we are ok... For now.

Avatar
#87 Spurzey
July 07 2014, 07:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Slyers wrote:

Your right, unfortunately they have highjacked an otherwise great website....sad

I love a good debate .... Not the same negative thought over and over without any objectivity.

20% of this blog was either authored by or replied to Serious Gord. Hyjacked? I think so.

Avatar
#88 freelancer
July 07 2014, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

For those wondering if Fayne can hold up against a tougher west division. Would be very interested to know the stats that Fayne has against teams in the west. Ditto for Pouliot and Purcell. We brought in a lot of guys from the East this summer. Would love to know more about point production, possession numbers, etc vs west teams.

Avatar
#89 Jon
July 07 2014, 10:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
hello wrote:

The 4/5 D-man comment is based on TOI. While he was the 3rd D-man on the Devils in overall TOI, he was 6th in TOI/Game. This suggests that when other players were healthy (Volchenkov, Salvador), they were given minutes before Fayne. He was also 4th in Devils D-men in PK TOI, suggesting he was not on the first PK unit.

TOI is pretty basic, but in this instance I think it shows that Fayne was not a top option for the Devils.

But who knows... :)

You're totally right, it's one of the number of questions that surround Fayne, but it's a measured gamble by MacT and I like it.

Yes, he can play the quality of minutes, but can he play the quantity? And that's an important question on a relatively weak D like EDM that has overplayed many a dman in the past. Willis brings up the other questions in his article, can he play with a dman inferior than him, can he play on a defensively inferior team in general?

These are all questions that need answering, so definitely can't plan a parade, but the fact that the quality of minutes question has such a resounding yes to it, means exactly what Willis ended his article with "this COULD be a MAJOR add for Edmonton"

Avatar
#90 Gordie Wayne
July 07 2014, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Petry signed to one year deal.

Avatar
#91 Chainsawz
July 07 2014, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

I have a feeling jultz and petry both get 4 MAX. And the 2C comes via trade so that leaves more room. The cap space has definitely shrunk, but we are ok... For now.

Then the question is who are we sending out if not a defenseman and what is the cap hit on a capable #2 center going to look like coming back?

Avatar
#92 ubermiguel
July 07 2014, 10:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Willis; Do you get the feeling how much MacT uses advanced stats? He's mentioned them a couple of times, but this signing is the first strong proof I've seen.

Avatar
#93 Cold Hard Truth
July 07 2014, 11:09AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

You people are delusional if you think adding a couple third line defenders will make a difference. If they were any good they would have been snatched up by any team other than Edmonton. Centre depth also got worse. Not a bad free agency for MacT given the constraints, but he failed to shore up the centre depth and I can't think of any reasonable excuse to absolve him of that.

Avatar
#94 Danger Pay
July 07 2014, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
hello wrote:

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

I'm not suggesting the Oilers are primed to make a cup run, just trying to pump the Fayne Train tires and get some "Cautious Optimism"

Don't be such a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctM3U1SOVQg

I will say this though, The Oilers will better than last year. Lol , hehe, haha! I mean common, how could be any worse than last year?!

Avatar
#95 Rem Murray for president
July 07 2014, 06:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Oilbaron wrote:

wow, so much drama in these comments.

Serious Gordon I understand not wanting to be optimistic but try not to let your cynicism overcome your love for the game.

can't we just be excited to watch another season of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, YAKUPOV!, Schultz and Perron? These players are making the game more entertaining, and this September they will be older and have more of an NHL caliber supporting cast.

By the way debbie downers every team is run by a billionaire with an old boys club, at least Mac-T is earning his Rexall dollars.

And furthermore it is far more fun to be optimistic and if I have a little expectation and excitement I will eventually be right cuz this organization is on the serious upswing

Avatar
#96 nuge2nail
July 07 2014, 07:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Rem Murray for president wrote:

And furthermore it is far more fun to be optimistic and if I have a little expectation and excitement I will eventually be right cuz this organization is on the serious upswing

Oiler Domination To Follow...

Comments are closed for this article.