Mark Fayne and Murderer’s Row

Jonathan Willis
July 06 2014 05:00PM

Mark Fayne

The Edmonton Oilers have made a pile of moves this summer, but the addition of Mark Fayne to an often overmatched defence corps might be the biggest.

He has something of a track record against good players.

What He Said

Jason Gregor had a nice piece on Fayne a couple of days ago, and he included some quotes from the defenceman which were revealing.

Particularly interesting to me was his comment on the matchups he faces:

Over the past few years I’ve developed into more of a stay home, shutdown guy playing against tougher opposition on a nightly basis. I think I’ve done my best when I am challenged the most, and I have to be aware of who is on the ice at all times. It’s a good challenge that I like taking on.

(emphasis mine)

Sometimes, players say things that don’t check out when you dig into the data. In this case, Fayne may well have understated things.

Murderer’s Row

Fayne’s played in the Eastern Conference for his entire career, but even so his most frequent 25 opponents feature some of the game’s biggest names. Fayne’s been on the ice against John Tavares more than against any other player in the league. Claude Giroux ranks third, Eric Staal fourth. Other notables include James Neal, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, Phil Kessel, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik and Tyler Seguin.

It’s a pretty impressive group.

Fayne’s posted a positive Corsi against that list of 25, nearly three full percentage points better than the average opponent those players face (and keep in mind that as a rule they’ll have been playing against good defencemen).

It’s not all him. He played most frequently with Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder, and he played on a New Jersey Devils team that more often than not has been a strong club during his tenure.

85-Marincin-2

Now, he’ll play with an Edmonton Oilers club that has no recent history of success. There is no Greene or younger version of Tallinder to be his partner; he’s likely either getting a second-tier veteran (Nikita Nikitin or Andrew Ference) or a rookie still finding his way in the majors.

But the key point here is that Oilers aren’t bringing somebody in to play a role he hasn’t had success in before. Fayne’s spent significant time assigned to some of the toughest matchups in the league, and he’s done a nice job in the role. This could be a major add for Edmonton.

RECENTLY BY JONATHAN WILLIS

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Old time oil fan
July 06 2014, 06:03PM
OilPain wrote:

Fayne should be a great add. MacT proving the haters wrong one move at a time!

You're quite the idiot to be making any judgement at this time. Obviously your criteria is much different than mine. I'll decide if it was a good move once he gets a chance to lace up and actually hit the ice. After all that is where the game is won and lost. Victory in July !!! You make me laugh.

#2 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 06:07PM
Danoilerfanincalgary wrote:

I really like the new additions but we need to be reserved and take a wait and see approach. There are definitely some positives going into next season.

1. goaltending will be better 2. coaching has continuity and added help in Ramsey 3. maturity of the young players 4. defence is better 5. forwards are deeper 6. prospects look good

No hype no promises let's just go into the season quietly and play better hockey. The fans deserve at least that.

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

1. Goaltending is the least experienced in the league by a wide margin. It could turn out to be even worse than last year.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

3. Maturity should help, but another miserable season could see maturity combined with atrophy in competitiveness and desire to win.

And players like Hendricks, Gordon and Ference maybe maturing into obsolescence.

4. Defense is better? Again a big maybe. And the roster may not be settled there yet.

5. Forwards are not deeper at center. And that's saying an awful lot considering how weak the team was last year.

6. Prospects are still prospects and shouldn't be relied upon to do any heavy lifting.

Being meek about what the team looks to be is to be irrelevant in the conversation.

#3 RexHolez
July 06 2014, 06:25PM
Cody anderson wrote:

Sounds like you are a complete a$$ Old Time Oil Fan.

The comments section is a place for people to express opinions. I think most fans are excited about some of the moves adding experience and size to the team.

It is fine to disagree or argue an opinion, but you attack him for expressing an opinion.

did you just attack his opinion for attacking someone else's opinion? feel better?

#4 RexHolez
July 06 2014, 06:27PM
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

all great points Gord, funny how even after a decade of incompetence and misery, people still seem to think these old boys walk on water

#5 RexHolez
July 06 2014, 06:28PM
Max wrote:

I note that Serious Gord didn't take his happy pills as suggested in an earlier post. This website is for Oilers fans, those who support their team through thick and thin. Hell, we have to look at the positives as we are ALL ticked off by the performances over the last 8 years. To constantly belittle what MacT is doing and being negative all the time reeks of infiltration from a Flames or Canucks fan. Either lighten up Gord, as previously suggested or join a forum for grouches. I am sure there are forums under Rants Anonymous or Grouch of the Day. The Oilers don't need your kind of comments, and neither do the fans. But again, I forgot, as someone else has previously said; you know it all and no-one else is right or has a right to an opinion.

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

#6 @Oilanderp
July 06 2014, 09:31PM

Poor Fayne,

He doesn't realize that now that the Oilers almost have a serviceable d-corps, they are going to trade away one of their best d-men.

Why? Because Oilers. Welcome to Hell's Kitchen, Mark Fayne.

#7 RexHolez
July 06 2014, 05:22PM

#8 PutzStew
July 06 2014, 06:44PM
Max wrote:

It is also a good place to make fun of delusional individuals who support the Oilers through thick and thin, even though the Oilers treat them like something scraped off the bottom of Klowe's shoe.

#9 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 06:45PM
Max wrote:

What balderdash.

I have a right to my opinion and never have I said others didn't. Demanding more from ones team and it management is a legitimate enterprise of a fan.

And nowhere have I ever said I "know it all" nor that "no one else is right".

(Thanks for reading - I'm flattered)

#10 hello
July 06 2014, 09:45PM
Danger Pay wrote:

All aboard the Fayne Train! D- Fence! (clap, clap) D-Fence!

Let's not plan the parade just yet. Fayne was the 4th/5th Dman on a non-playoff team in the eastern conference.

#11 Chainsawz
July 06 2014, 07:29PM
OilPain wrote:

Fayne should be a great add. MacT proving the haters wrong one move at a time!

Haters proved wrong?

Did I miss something? Last time I checked, the Oilers were a bottom 3 team. Have they proved otherwise?

#12 PutzStew
July 06 2014, 06:57PM
RexHolez wrote:

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

Yes. It says so in the 2014-2015 Edmonton Oilers Fan Hand Book.

Section 3, Paragraph 5

"No fan is allowed to expresses displeasure of the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club by damaging or placing Edmonton Oilers on ice surfaces, nor may they be critical to Kevin Lowe, Daryl Katz, Craig Mactavish, Katz's Kid or any other management figure. Should a fan feel the need to display any displeasure, as mention above, then it is asked that said fan refrain from doing so and instead "Ba" like a sheep."

There you go. And it's on the internet so it has to be true.

#13 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 07:26PM
Craig1981 wrote:

OK, here are my issues

1. Are you aware Fasth is 32 and has played 226 professional games? Scrivens is 27. Unproven maybe, but not inexperienced

2.Age on a coach isn't a big thing IMO

3. You might be right

4. Dear lord was out D bad last year, it must be better. Swapping out players that are not in the NHL this year with proven Dmen has to be better doesn't it?

5. Yup, agree

6. I only think there will be one rookie penciled in this year....and thats on maybe the 3rd line.

1. Lots of career AHL goalies who fail at the nhl level.

2. Age can be a factor we saw it first hand with pat Quinn. I (we?) have no idea if the same is the case with Ramsay. We do know that he is a hero of Eakins much as Quinn was a hero of tambellini and a good friend of lowes (via hockey canada). Let's hope it hasn't blinded management to ramsays possible deficiencies.

4. Defense might - on paper should be better - but it might be worse if both smid and Petry are gone and Ference has deteriorated even further by the start of the season. Amazing but possible.

#14 Oiler63
July 06 2014, 05:17PM

Hi Jonathan, an off topic question, how do you like Slava Voynov? Do you think he is a legit top 2 or #1 D man Oilers can use? The reason I'm asking is LA's D is very deep, and with so many UFA's and RFA's to sign next summer, maybe Voynov and his over $4M cap hit is something LA is willing to move as early as next season.

#15 PutzStew
July 06 2014, 07:02PM
admiralmark wrote:

I think the sentiment is the "constant" negativity gets tiresome. And although i support yours and everyones right to state their opinion here it just gets kinda boring to hear the repeating same ole MAcT promised Bold! This team sucks and continues to suck etc etc.

There have been some postitive moves by MacT this summer. It remains to be seen how much of a positive effect they have. But maybe we can sometimes acknowledge if a move was clearly a good one. Mark Fayne has a track record of being able to handle the toughest defensive assignments. Analytics like him. And he's signed to a very palatable $3.6 Mill/per contract as a free agent. This is an undeniably good move by MacT.

There has been positive moves made every off season through out this (these) rebuild(s), and yet the Oilers still suck.

Remember the Summer of Steve. Not too many people were critical of those move at the time either. Maybe some fans have just evolved to the point were "good" moves mean nothing until this team is a winner.

#16 camdog
July 06 2014, 06:50PM
Cody anderson wrote:

Sounds like you are a complete a$$ Old Time Oil Fan.

So it's alright to call one type of Oiler fan a "hater" and an "ass" but wrong to call one an "idiot"? Okay...

#17 wiseguy
July 06 2014, 07:39PM

@Positive Pam

If you wake up in the morning and think "well, nothing has gone wrong yet", this implies a hidden negativity that you have that you expect something to go wrong every day. Sounds like an Oiler fan at the beginning of each season... "Well, nothing has gone wrong YET!" Pam, stop trying to be positive for everyone else. Embrace your inner negativity.

#18 Max
July 06 2014, 06:22PM

#19 aguy
July 06 2014, 08:45PM

@Positive Pam

Not so positive anymore, are we.

#20 Positive Pam
July 06 2014, 06:55PM

I am a very positive person as I find being negative a waste of time. Every morning I wake and think, well nothing has gone wrong yet, so it's a good day. The Oilers are still in line for a playoff position, I haven't checked my lottery tickets, so I may have won, and the sun is shining so my garden will thrive, or, it's raining and my plants get a well deserved drink. My boss is a jerk, but that's his problem, not mine, and if I find a penny on the ground, I pick it up because as obsolete as it it, it's still money. I support the Oil Pipelines as it will bring hundreds of jobs to Canadians and I support the Oilers. Life is good - some of you should wake up and smell the roses rather than have your nose in the compost heap. .

#21 Dwayne Roloson 35
July 06 2014, 09:50PM

@The Last Big Bear

Yeah. no real conversations.

"here's hoping these fancy stats don't change much playing on this club. but I have a funny feeling..."

this guys point is valid. we have seen a lot of players fail when coming here dating way back to 2007. it got trashed big time.

"Are you having weird sensations in your head? That "funny feeling" might indicate this signing might be another good move by MacT. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?"

This comment was given many cheers and its a really immature response pretty much saying "i dont agree so youre wrong". plus its just insulting and dismissive.

cant believe people agree with that crap.

#22 Cody anderson
July 06 2014, 06:11PM
Old time oil fan wrote:

Sounds like you are a complete a$$ Old Time Oil Fan.

#23 Quicksilver ballet
July 06 2014, 11:52PM

A number of MSM types have mentioned we've witnessed the death of the defensive defenseman this summer. Isn't this Mark Fayne to a T?

Hope his feet can keep pace in this quicker more violent western conference. Guess there's hope in Nikitin atleast.

#24 SlowTalker
July 06 2014, 05:40PM
RexHolez wrote:

Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?

#25 Serious Gord
July 06 2014, 09:20PM
Craig1981 wrote:

1. That's not an argument. You said inexperienced, my points proved you wrong....I accept your apology.

1b. I wouldn't call them AHL goalies. Fasth has played a total of 194min in the AHL and Scrivens is entering his 5 season in the NHL. Again unproven starters, which is why I think MacT picked up Fasth rather than just Scrivens.

2. I don't think Quinn did poorly. Did you see the team he coached?? Gilbert Brule was the teams 3rd leading scorer. I know for a fact in my profession (like all others) you can put a a far better work team together from past coworkers than thumbing through resumes. This "hero" thing is just you ranting and making stories that aren't there.

4. That is what people are saying, the start of this season out D is better.

1. It is an argument - and a sound one - experience in leagues other than the nhl - the closest being the ahl but all being inferior to the nhl is often no indicator of how that player will do in the elite nhl.

2. Stauffer and others have spoken and written at length about how Quinn was past it.

#26 hello
July 06 2014, 10:59PM
Craig1981 wrote:

On what basis do you believe they will trade away one of their best d-men?..........besides fans posting possible EAsports trades

SALARY CAP

#27 Oliveoiler
July 06 2014, 05:04PM

Welcome to Edmonton Mark - we have been waiting for you for a very long time. Kick some a$$

#28 Cody anderson
July 06 2014, 06:13PM
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

We started the year last year with 1 NHL center.

Opening day started with Hall, Arcobello, Gordon, and Lander as our centers.

Our depth while not fully proven is far better this year even at center.

#29 OilPain
July 06 2014, 05:02PM

Fayne should be a great add. MacT proving the haters wrong one move at a time!

#30 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 06:37PM
Cody anderson wrote:

We started the year last year with 1 NHL center.

Opening day started with Hall, Arcobello, Gordon, and Lander as our centers.

Our depth while not fully proven is far better this year even at center.

Though anyone that disagrees with Serious Gord is OK in my books, I think center depth isn't any better than last. The Negs at center are:

-Subtraction of Gagner (regardless of how much you liked him) -Lander off a TERRIBLE showing last season

The Pros this year are:

-Healthy RNH -Draisaitl (a mystery right now) -Arco had a strong showing

It seems really close. Goaltending, and Defense are far better though! Wings are very close, IMO

#31 aguy
July 06 2014, 07:00PM

@Positive Pam

But Positive Pam, when I look in the compost heap, I see a thriving environment!

#32 Oilers need Ogie Ogilthorpe!
July 06 2014, 07:22PM
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

Reading your six points, I've got to ask: Did you just call yourself irrelevant to the conversation?

Pt 1. Could turn out to be Pt 2. Is he Quinn old or Bowman old? Pt 3. Should help. Miserable season could see Pt 4. Big maybe. May not be Pt 5. This point is assertive. Good for you Pt 6. Shouldn't.

Let's face it. Your objection isn't that Dan... Is meek. You're objection is that he has good things to say.

On top of that, the only thing 'meek' about Dan's post (to which you are responding) is that he says things look good, but that we can't anoint MacT saviour or the team playoff-bound until we see them play. Sounds like measured optimism, not weakness.

For a kicker, a little irony. You're calling a guy out as meek because he advocates a 'wait and see approach'. Later on, RexHolez is praising you, all the while condemning those who 'still think these old boys walk on water'. That's not Dan.. Do you guys even read the posts or do you just love patting each other on the back for anything negative?

#33 admiralmark
July 06 2014, 06:56PM
RexHolez wrote:

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

#34 Oilers need Ogie Ogilthorpe!
July 06 2014, 07:49PM
RexHolez wrote:

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

Oh RexHolez. Nobody is asking for sheep. We're just asking a select few of you to stop being jerks. The original comment that started the whole Serious Gord to Max to you (the quoted post) thread was one that advocated for a wait and see approach, while acknowledging that the recent moves seem positive.

I would describe 'sheep' as people who blindly maintain/support a point of view without a reasonable weighing of the facts - be they for or against. It seems to me like you, and a few others like you, are sheep yourselves.

It's impossible to know in July if signing Fayne will improve the Oilers. A reasonable person, not covered in wool, would at least acknowledge that there is potential there. From what I recall from the pre-free agent day blogs, multiple articles were written about which D-men the Oil should target, and the overwhelming conclusion from said articles was that Fayne was the ideal FA to pursue. And still, you insist that everything MacT does is baaaaa-d.

Ps. RexHolez... King of the Holez, right? Good name for you

#35 Oil Can
July 06 2014, 08:25PM
Serious Gord wrote:

1. Lots of career AHL goalies who fail at the nhl level.

TROLL

#36 madjam
July 06 2014, 08:48PM

I like the videos of Nikita Nikitin as he looks like to be a fine addition . He has a shot ,can play reasonably physical and can fight when required . Fayne on the other hand might be a disappointment in comparison . Go to Mark Fayne videos and you'll see what I am talking about . He gets run over by bigger forwards , lacks a good shot and basically a lousy fighter . Will he be any better than Belov or Smid -i'm not sold he is . Nhl.com ran a couple of media basically saying Oilers may be disappointed once again by defence acquisitions . I feel at least Nikitin will show otherwise . Hope Fayne shows more than the videos showed .

#37 Cold Hard Truth
July 07 2014, 11:09AM

You people are delusional if you think adding a couple third line defenders will make a difference. If they were any good they would have been snatched up by any team other than Edmonton. Centre depth also got worse. Not a bad free agency for MacT given the constraints, but he failed to shore up the centre depth and I can't think of any reasonable excuse to absolve him of that.

#38 RussL
July 06 2014, 06:43PM

Love everything I've read about Fayne since he's signed and even prior to, so I hope he lives up to his billing.

That defense with Petry and Schiltz signed looks balanced and the best in a number of years, add to that the veterans MacT has signed and traded for everything looks to be really shaping up. At least on paper...

One glaring hole is that 2nd/3rd centre spot. Who would we be willing to move next years first rounder for? Is there anyone that would be worth it?

#39 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 09:35PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

Poor Fayne,

Why? Because Oilers. Welcome to Hell's Kitchen, Mark Fayne.

#40 Slyers
July 06 2014, 10:18PM
RexHolez wrote:

so basically you want everyone to be sheep?

Funny how you call other sheep when you are unable to go in any other direction then the " oilers" suck" try to have a original thought. Time to readjust my previous I.D.I.O.T.S list (Individuals Disrespecting Intelligent Observations Through Stupidity.)

1. Serious Gord . 2. Rex Holez 3.Putz Stew 4. Quick silver ballet 5. Madjam 6. Big Bear 7. Fresh Mess 8. Kozy Mel 9. DSF

We are now accepting nominations

P.s disagreeing is good, debate is good, being contrary on everything with out reason or foundation ...... Welcome to the I.D.I.O.T.S list!!

#41 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 10:23PM
Slyers wrote:

We are now accepting nominations

I have wondered what happened to old DSF. I actually don't recall # 3, 6, 7, 8. I am quite surprised newagesystems isn't on there....he was special. I would bump DSF past QSB since at least 25% of the time he makes a valid thought.

#42 hello
July 06 2014, 11:28PM
Craig1981 wrote:

They have 12M to sign 2 RFA d-men. How much do you think they are going to get???!!!!

If they don't want to wade into the bonus cushion they have roughly 8.8 to sign 2 RFA D-men. Keeping in mind Nikitin and Fayne combined cost 8.125, that does not leave much for a #2 center.

#43 freelancer
July 06 2014, 05:12PM

With Smith no longer behind our defense and Ramsay running that show, combined with some actual experienced NHL defenders... If this team can actually make that first pass out of their zone to our forwards I think that alone will see plenty more wins

#44 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 05:21PM

A bunch of us wanted Matt Greene, but I think Fayne may of been a much better choice.

#45 hemi
July 06 2014, 06:18PM

Despite what may be considered a "handicap - a true blue Oil fan" I am looking forward to an improved season. All of the arrows are pointing the correct way. And not just the usual hopefulness we all share this time each summer for last entirety. Kool-Aid be damned, we actually have acquired some experienced NHL players and second to that, they have something to offer!

Yes, we are far from being a contender for anything tangible but in my humble opinion, we will not be at the low end of basement dweller status. Lots to be seen and proven yet and the proof will be in the pudding come November/December to see how much of an improvement Mac-T has been able to orchestrate.

Meaningful games may be upon us? Go OIl!

#46 Craig1981
July 06 2014, 06:47PM
Serious Gord wrote:

MAYBE. That's the operative word.

2. Ramsay is old - is he pat Quinn old or Scotty bowman old?

OK, here are my issues

2.Age on a coach isn't a big thing IMO

3. You might be right

5. Yup, agree

#47 The Last Big Bear
July 06 2014, 07:30PM

This place has gotten very snipey in the past few days.

#48 Positive Pam
July 06 2014, 08:14PM

@aguy

No s**t

#49 Oilers need Ogie Ogilthorpe!
July 06 2014, 08:25PM
PutzStew wrote:

You criticize those who suggest the team could be improved, and yet you unfalteringly cling to the certainty that the 2014-15 Oilers are losers. Neither one has happened yet. To believe that you can know the Oilers fate next season - for better or for worse - is deluded.

I'd say there's a real chance we get McJesus next year, a pretty good chance we miss the playoffs, but also a small to medium chance (maybe 20-40% to put a number to it) we make the playoffs. Can you admit the playoffs are at least a non-negligible possibility?

#50 Sorensenator
July 06 2014, 09:33PM
Serious Gord wrote:

1. Lots of career AHL goalies who fail at the nhl level.

Smid was terrible last year, if he was one of the Oilers best D at the time, Mac T would not have moved him, guaranteed.

Ference is a fitness machine, I am not worried about him deteriorating for at least another two years.