Petry signs one year deal

Jason Gregor
July 07 2014 11:18AM

petry1

Jeff Petry signed a one-year deal worth $3.075 million. He will be a UFA next season, and if the Oilers do want to sign him to an extension they can't until January, 2015.

After seeing what UFA D-men received on the free agent market, I can understand why Petry's camp elected to sign for one season. The Oilers now have another season to evaluate him.

A one-year keeps him as a potential trade candidate as well. The Oilers can't afford to lose him in free agency for nothing. This signing won't put a stop to the trade rumours, but I don't think the Oilers are in any rush to move Petry. If the proper deal presents itself, they have to think about it, but if I'm the Oilers I play Petry as a 2nd pair D-man and see how he performs, rather than playing him over his head in the first pairing.

This deal makes financial sense for one season, but it doesn't give the Oilers much long term security and that is an issue.

What do you think of the signing?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 madjam
July 07 2014, 03:30PM

Speculation only : Petry finished his DEGREE (as per hockeybuzz) this summer . Might he want to persue hockey and alternate career in the U.S. where he is from ? Have a feeling he might want to much to remain here on a long term basis , if at all, beyond this season.

#102 2004Z06
July 07 2014, 03:32PM
Zarny wrote:

Non-physical.

Like Blake Wheeler b*tch tossing Petry out of the way to score the winning G in OT last year.

Despite Petry having perfect position on him.

Statistics are nice; being effective is better.

Great isolated example. I was simply stating that on the Oilers, he was the most physical D man last year.

I think it is more of a representation of the D core as a whole than on what level of physicality Petry brings to the table.

Not every defenseman is a punishing beast. You have physical shut down guys and you have puck movers. People need to stop expecting one to be the other.

#103 Dman09
July 07 2014, 03:34PM
madjam wrote:

In his interview today he damn near flat out said that he and his agent are looking at Free Agency next season and even said this year is really important to perform as good as possible because of that. What I did find kind strange was that Bob said the Oilers and his Agent felt a 1 year deal with free agency coming was probably the best thing.

Wouldn't you want to limit the risk of losing a guy to free agency from a team perspective???

#104 Serious Gord
July 07 2014, 03:46PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

What team is going to trade for defensmen with one year left on a contract until he becomes a UFA?

The return is going to be so under valued, probably a pick or a utility player.

This is the same situation Tambellini put the Oilers in with Gagner & Hemsky.

This is a piss poor contract that's going to bite the Oilers in the ass and gave the rest of the GM's in the league bargaining power over the Oilers.

Should have just traded him to a team that could have negotiated a LTC with Petry.

Interesting point. The worst thing would have been the oil signing him to a ltc as they would have had to overpay due to the teams lousy geography and worse coaching management rep (of which Petry and his agent are very aware of). Pretty much any team he gets traded to could sign him for less.

#105 Serious Gord
July 07 2014, 03:48PM
bazmagoo wrote:

With the Legwand signing in Ottawa I'm inclined to think it's going to be Lander, Draisaitl and Arcobello battling for the 2 remaining center spots. The only other option is a prospect + pick trade to a team with cap issues, maybe Chicago. Personally I'm happy to see Petry here next season, our defense can't afford to lose any players with actual NHL experience.

If so is that really much better than what the oil had last year once RNH and gagner were healthy?

Very hard to see the foursome you propose getting the oil higher than 20th in the league and that is a big fail both in the short-term (obviously) but also in the long term.

#106 Qwerty
July 07 2014, 03:49PM

Not a petry fan anyways. He skates smooth, has an average first pass and does ok positionally. But he does stupid costly mistakes on a nightly basis, is soft and easy to handle in the corners and infront of the net, and is easily replaced with better, younger players. I say good riddance

#107 Serious Gord
July 07 2014, 03:57PM
Danoilerfanincalgary wrote:

So what is your point Gord? what do you think the Oilers should do? I guess all you want to do is bash MacT and management and other posters. Offer us your all knowing opinion.

First I would have traded the pick to get something right now down the middle (Before that I would have traded gagner last year and bought out hemsky to get the type of centre we need - but that is water under the bridge)

Given where the team is now I would trade Petry and one of the defensive prospects to get some experienced big centre who is in a rich contract (there are several currently on cap-poor teams.

But keep in mind were it my decision I would not have been in this mess in the first place.

#108 Serious Gord
July 07 2014, 04:04PM
Qwerty wrote:

I agree with your assessment. That and he's 26 - hard to see his game changing much going forward.

#109 RexHolez
July 07 2014, 04:07PM

@Serious Gord

I wouldn't of bought out hemsky. I would if traded him before the 2year 5mil contract. You know, when he had value and when they decided to do a rebuild.

I hate when people use the excuse of the oilers went "scorched earth" on the rebuild so its hard to come back from that. If they really went scorched earth they wouldn't have kept hemsky

#110 Ed in Edmonton
July 07 2014, 04:19PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I certainly supported considering trading the No 3 pick. But the problem is neither you or I know what was available for the pick. Saying "I would have traded the pick for "something down the middle" sounds great, but we don't know what was available.

Having said that, if MAcT had not even entertained offers for the pick, then he wasn't doing his job.

They may still need to trade Petry plus something to get the center help they need. I don't think this signing exclude that possibility, but it does make a deal more difficult.

#111 Rama Lama
July 07 2014, 04:41PM

The one year signing for a bridge seems small.....two would have been better.

I get the sense that he is being shopped right now but what is most perplexing is that we have not seen what this player is really capable of.

Having Craig Ramsay in the fold providing proper structure and systems should tell the tale. I for one do not trust past coaching to be the sole evaluation for who is a real player and who is not.

I guess time will tell, but if every player progresses under Ramsay as opposed to regression under Eakins, we should have some real decisions to make after his one year bridge deal.

#112 madjam
July 07 2014, 04:42PM
Dman09 wrote:

Scary to think J.Schultz might want the same as Petry , even though MacT. seems committed to long term core of Oilers with him . Gotta live/respect with free agency , whether fans and/or club likes it all the time . Sure makes it tough for the poorer clubs to get better (albatross), almost defeating the purpose of the draft .

#113 Dman09
July 07 2014, 04:49PM
madjam wrote:

True but if the players weren't so greedy and all they really cared about was winning then you would think they would be willing to take big discounts to help field a more competitive team. I mean really once your making a million a year you are already making more than almost 90% of the Canadian population. Even then you only need to work 5 years and you can retire providing you didn't blow it all on useless stuff.

#114 Serious Gord
July 07 2014, 05:34PM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Hypotheticals whether in hockey or marriage are a beeitch.

(And I would have traded hemsky long before last year (ditto gagner) but one can only go back so far in this kind of endeavour. )

And I do think oiler management - MacT Klowe and Katz barely gave it a passing thought. I really don't think this team is very good at trades - they lack imagination, courage and overvalue their own assets.

#115 Sparky Blue
July 07 2014, 05:39PM

I see the oil signing Petry in February at $4.75X 5 or if he plays poorly swapping him for a second rounder draft pick. He is not worth $5MM or plus and if some idiot in Detroit or Long Island want to pay him that so be it.

#116 Casey
July 07 2014, 06:22PM

He simply isn't apart of our plans. Marincin-Schultz Klefbom-Nurse is our future. Now he is just a stop-gap player for us. He deserves a shot elsewhere. Send him home to Michigan(Detroit still looking for defensemen)

#117 Spydyr
July 07 2014, 06:52PM
2004Z06 wrote:

Non-physical? I am not sure what defines "non-physical" in your eyes, but Petry had 181 hits last year. Second most on the entire team. He also led in blocked shots at 132.

I know he doesn't drop the gloves or crush guys, but he was the most physical D man we had last year!

You know what happens when a player like Petry is the most physical defencman on the team?

They end up 28th overall.

#118 Zarny
July 07 2014, 09:12PM
DieHard wrote:

I don't think Pouliot is an overpay and the term is about right.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but with players like Oshie, Dubinsky, Parenteau, Henrique, Hudler and Stafford @ $4M I don't see how you can argue Pouliot wasn't an overpay. They've all topped 50 or 60 pt where Pouliot has never hit 40 pt once.

The Oilers had to pay a few extra bucks which is fine. That's the cost of doing business in Edmonton.

5 years though for a 3rd line player is a concern to me. It took until he was 25 to become a well-rounded 35 pt player. Most players see a drop off at 30 which is 2 years away for Pouliot.

#119 bradleypi
July 07 2014, 09:27PM
2004Z06 wrote:

Lol... he had that many hits and blocked shots Cuz the oilers never had the puck.... mostly because petry was a turnover machine... guaranteed if Jeff doesn't pick his game up this year he's gone..

#120 Jack
July 08 2014, 06:08AM

If Mact's comments about negotiating with Petry at the end of the season are true I fail to see how the Oil have anything ressembling the upper hand in those future talks. It looks to me like "here's your hat, whats your hurry...' can anything but a high 2nd round oick make sense here for the Oil? The draft next year must be really deep.

#121 pelhem grenville
July 08 2014, 08:06AM

y'gotta love one year deals...they motivate and depress at the same time...'ol Jeff better get his game together if he wants a payday come the end of another season being with a team in the draft lottery again...ask anyone > isn't McJesus coming to lead us to the promise land???...unless MacT can package him with a real NHler or two he's going to have to keep his fingers crossed testing free agency next summer...

#122 Noname
July 08 2014, 08:37AM

hahahaha...."first I would have done this...then I would have done this...Mom? are you calling me for dinner? I having a conversation about how I'd manage the sOilers if I had a life with other really cool guys"

#123 2004Z06
July 08 2014, 09:15AM
Spydyr wrote:

They end up 28th overall.

No argument there.

#124 Thumby
July 10 2014, 12:00PM
Dman09 wrote:

I'd say you are making more than 99.5% of the population if you make over $1 mill per...