Ship out Schultz? Why?

Jason Gregor
July 08 2014 02:14PM

1297400175174_ORIGINAL

I've been covering the Oilers since 2001, so rarely does much surprise me anymore. I've seen a lot, and sadly for Oilers fans, most of it has been losing. However, I'll admit I'm surprised by how many people want to ship Justin Schultz out of town.

Maybe I shouldn't be, considering I've seen this movie recently staring the likes of Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner and many others, but none of those players heard the trade talk so early in their career.

Schultz has only played 122 games, yet many are convinced they know what type of player he'll be and in their eyes he won't help.

I strongly disagree.

I hate generalizations. Nothing irks me more than when someone says, "the media." Lumping all media members together annoys the hell out of me. I don't share the same beliefs as every media member, but often people throw a blanket over all media and assume they feel the same.

So let me preface my next statement by saying I understand that not all of those who believe in Corsi, Fenwick, etc want Schultz gone, but I'm surprised that many of the most vocal trade-Schultz crowd comes from that background.

The ironic part is that many of the people wanting to ship out Schultz are the same guys who have steadfastly defended Jeff Petry. It's almost like people believe they have to trade one of those two and they are picking a side. It is plausible that both can stay in Edmonton, isn't it?

Maybe it just reaffirms that we all have bias. We all do, and anyone who thinks they don't is dreaming. Stats guys have bias to believe their numbers always lead to the correct analysis, watchers of the game believe what they see on the ice is correct, and all of us value players higher or lower for various reasons.

If we all agreed, it sure would be rather boring in the Nation so I hope that never changes.

Anyways, back to Schultz, who has played less than two full NHL seasons.

He is 27th in points over the that time and 29th in points-per-game for defencemen. He is also 6th in EV goals over the past two seasons. His offensive numbers are very good, and bordering on elite.

Where Schultz struggles is in his own zone.

His Corsi and Fenwick numbers have been less than stellar, and his defensive zone coverage has been lacking. I'd say that is due to his inexperience, him having to play more minutes than he should be at this stage of his career, and that he never had to be great defensively in college.

Schultz, like every Oilers D-man, has had to play tougher minutes than they are capable of handling and that has led to some tough nights.

For me, his first two seasons have unfolded very close to how I expected them to. He was touted as an offensive defenceman, and he's lived up to that, but at the same time he's struggled defensively.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

The same was said about Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov.

Hall has become a dominant player. Eberle has had two very good seasons, while Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov have had a tougher time.

Nugent-Hopkins plays a harder position than the other three forwards, and his lack of size and experience against big, skilled western centres has been rather apparent. I believe he will have the biggest improvement this season (more on that in another article).

Yakupov had an okay first season that ended in spectacular fashion with six goals in three games. He struggled last season, but if you mention trading Yakupov the same people who want Schultz traded were the first to come to Yak's defence.

WHY THE DIFFERENCE?

Why are people more willing to move Schultz, but not Yakupov?

Both have been in the league the same time. I suspect part of it (trade talk) stems from how they have been used. People think Yakupov hasn't been given the same opportunities as Schultz, and that he will produce once he gets more icetime.

That is possible, but isn't it equally possible that Schultz will improve defensively with more experience?

The other perplexing thing for me is that winger is the only position currently where the Oilers have any depth. The Oilers don't have another D-man who can produce offensively. If they trade Schultz who is going to fill his offensive totals?

If the Oilers trade Yakupov, at least they would still have Hall, Eberle, Perron, Purcell and Pouliot.

I'm not saying they should trade Yakupov, I'm just trying to understand why so many believe trading Schultz is the right move.

WRAP UP

Schultz has very good instincts in the offensive zone. He has a deceptively good wrist/snap shot and if he learns to shoot more on the PP, I suspect his offensive totals will improve even more. Schultz is on the verge of being a great offensive D-man, and that's why I'm hesitant, in fact I'm loathe, to trade him at this point.

I fully realize that he has struggled defensively, but he can learn that part of the game. It is extremely rare that players suddenly become better offensive players in the NHL, but many offensive players have improved defensively.

I'm confident Schultz's defensive zone coverage will improve, especially with the addition of Craig Ramsey, and that's why I wouldn't deal him.

At this point I wouldn't trade any of Petry, Schultz or Yakupov, because their value is low and there is no way you would fetch a 2nd line centre for any of them.

I'd keep Schultz, but I'm surprised at how quickly some think he is more of the problem than the solution.

Recently by Jason Gregor:  

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 04:12PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers
oprah sucks wrote:

article is bang on. trading schultz right now would be a fatal error on managements part. this guy needs to be paired with the right d partner ,as do most young offensive dmen or young d in general, to see this guys full potential. people that want him traded do not understand the time frame it takes for dmen to mature and being put out against toughest competition or playing too many big minutes isnt his fault. mact has said many times that justin is part of the core group and he very well should be. lets not forget that this is a player that had almost every team in the league to choose from to start his pro journey and he chose edmonton(doesnt happen often) which was clearly nothing but a hockey decision. not money, not warmer climates and peeps call on to trade him?? this fact alone says much for his character and is a guy i want as a teammate let alone all his untapped potential! i understand frustration and patience but wake up people!!

How can you make a blanket statement like "trading Schultz right now would be a fatal error" if you don't know what the return would be? It's all relative.

Avatar
#52 Stack Pad Save
July 08 2014, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

I would love to see some improvement under Ramsay with the Oilers D this year. This aspect of the game has been the main reason the Oilers have struggled so much. There has been such a tremendous lack of development at the NHL level for the Oilers D corps.

IMHO, if we don't see improvement and register statistical improvement from the Oilers D this year the Oilers will stay stuck in Permanent Rebuild Mode. I am hoping the best move the Oilers make was getting Ramsay to coach the D, and this causes improvement to JSchultz, Petry and Marincin's game. I also hope we see Fayne, Nikitin and Ference playing at or near their career bests as well.

Avatar
#53 Zarny
July 08 2014, 04:16PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@carson

I'm curious, why would the Oilers want Schultz to be a PP specialist?

To me, the term PP specialist refers to a player who only contributes on the PP. The Oilers no doubt want Schultz to QB the PP but I expect they also want him to produce at even strength.

Schultz's PP totals accounted for 39.9% of his overall production. How does that stack up against the top offensive D last year?

Karlsson - 48.6%

Keith - 39.3%

Weber - 67.8%

Hedman - 30.9%

When your PP production is proportional to Duncan Keith's I think you're good.

I fully agree that Schultz needs to improve his defensive play. And in terms of defensive play it's quite possible Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all surpass Schultz in the near future.

Here is the thing...all 3 play the left side of the ice. Schultz plays on the right so they aren't competing for the same spot.

I agree, if you choose to trade a D the Oilers could probably get more for Schultz than Petry because Schultz is younger, has more upside and is better offensively.

But if you choose to trade a D it makes more sense moving one of Marincin, Klefbom or Nurse given the logjam on the left side.

Avatar
#54 Warred
July 08 2014, 04:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he will improve under Ramsey very little went right for any player on this team with Eakins Ahl game plan and tactics. I think if the coaching staff employes a Nhl gameplan that is deliberate and direct from the start we may have something meaningful to watch into the late stages of the year

Avatar
#55 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 04:27PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
HallFever wrote:

Schultz and Yakupov must STAY.

So, let's say Dean Lombardi has a mental breakdown and offers Doughty for Schultz and Yak...you are saying you would turn it down because SCHULTZ AND YAKUPOV MUST STAY! ???

I'm just trying to understand how you arrive at these absolutes.

Avatar
#56 Carson
July 08 2014, 04:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Zarny

Yeah, you're probably right that trading from the left side is probably the wiser play.

In terms of Schultz's PP contribution, let's not forget that the 13/14 Oilers PP was a place where offense went to die. Schultz's numbers will likely go up in that regard if the team as a whole improves.

I think the questions is what do the Oilers have in Schultz and what do they hope to have. Currently, the Oilers have a young, somewhat lackadaisical d-man with OK puck moving skills, a sneaky wrister that seems to have been scouted, an innate desire to jump into the play and a seeming inability to make smart reads in the d-zone. Some good, some bad.

The upside, I think, is better reads in all three zones and hopefully more use of his slap shot. I don't ever see him as a true top pairing talent. I do see him as someone who will play softer minutes, but will increase his ability to make hay on those minutes. I don't think he will ever shake his tendency to mosey around the ice, which is the "saw him bad" trait that still drives the old school fan in me crazy.

That's probably a realistic expectation, no?

Is that a higher upside than Petry? I'm not sure. What I do know, is that it's Petry and not Schultz who has been given the Poti/Breuwer/Gilbert treatment. Schultz is still considered a part of the core.

Avatar
#59 Oiler Al
July 08 2014, 04:44PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

J.G., couldn't agree with you more!... this guy is a keeper. Pair him with a solid stay at home guy and this guy will score some serious points from the back end. He will get better with time, never be a defensive giant ,but neither are Karlsson, Letang , OEL, and co. Fans are always wanting Oilers to sign thee guys, well you got one on your own team.

Tie him up long term.

Avatar
#60 HallFever
July 08 2014, 04:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@David S

As of right now, that would be Arco. Meh

Avatar
#61 HallFever
July 08 2014, 04:51PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Fresh Mess

Dean Lombardi trading Doughty is not reality. How are we ever going to have long term success if we always trade our young core?

Avatar
#62 flyfish1168
July 08 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

This is why I like the NFL. No guarantee contracts. If I pay you to get 50 points and a +/- that is +20 and your corsi is positive and you keep failing this than your contract should be terminated.

You should not be paid on potential. Pain only on the work you show me that you can do. Other wise we should ALL BE PAID A MILLION BUCK.

Avatar
#63 Total Points
July 08 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Who are the fans who want to trade Schultz. Obviously a slow news day so Gregor has to stir something up.

Typical media leading the negative parade. By simply indicate that "some" fans want to trade Shultz it encourages all the negative Nellies to comment more negative stuff. I am sure some fans want to get rid of Gregor.

It is time for media and fans to look a little more on the positive side before another very good player is run out of town.

I expect more out of Gregor. I usually enjoy his comments

Avatar
#64 TigerUnderGlass
July 08 2014, 04:58PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

@Jason Gregor

Stats guys have bias to believe their numbers always lead to the correct analysis

This is false. No reasonable stat guy would tell you the numbers are always right. Stats guy believe that the numbers can help make better bets on a future performance than the eyes alone.

Avatar
#65 Hopeless in Etown
July 08 2014, 05:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I am on the fence on what sort of defenseman Schultz will become. One thing for sure is that he is a true NHL level defenseman. The Oilers have played too many seasons without having six or more legitimate NHL defensemen. Do we currently have a number 1/2 defenseman. No but most of the d-men we have are young and still developing (including Schultz). The only way we should be trading a guy like Schultz is if one a few things happen. Either the return is exceptional, he is passed on the depth chart by at least two of Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse (which would not be for a few years at least), or we get a legitimate 2C and have an actual NHL defenseman lined up in the wings via free agency.

The Oilers have traded too many players for too little return. I know I am going to get harrassed for this but I am pretty sure that the Oilers would rather have a guy like Horcoff slotting in as our 2C than a Arcobella. But we sent him away for Larsen and actually got worse down the middle. While hardly the solution, I am sure the Oilers would have done better with Horcoff instead of Larsen in the line up last year. Still wouldn't have made the playoffs but may have beaten Calgary.

Avatar
#66 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 05:03PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@HallFever

you will have success if you trade for players that are better or will make you a better team. It depends on the return.

Avatar
#67 kale
July 08 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Jason I hear you when you say you get upset when people say "the media" as if all media hold the same opinion. I to get upset when I hear members of the media saying "the Fans" as if all fans hold the same opinion. Both sides are guilty of it. You say:

"Why are people more willing to move Schultz, but not Yakupov?"

I dont want to see either of those two players traded until we see what we have. I am not one of the people.

Avatar
#68 RexHolez
July 08 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

@Jason Gregor

You can't use his first 122 games to say he will stay as terrible defensively as he currently is. Just like you can't use them to say he'll ever improve.

Avatar
#69 Serious Gord
July 08 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Correct.

Avatar
#70 Oprah sucks
July 08 2014, 05:08PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

How can you make a blanket statement like "trading Schultz right now would be a fatal error" if you don't know what the return would be? It's all relative.

Ur right I don't know what the return would be but I know what it wouldn't be......and that's a top pairing dman. So why would u wanna trade a guy like Justin that wants to be there for a guy equally as good that might not wanna be there. If it is a definite upgrade I'm all in for trading him but I believe that upgrade is almost impossible to find for the right dollar value at this point. There's a reason why oilers haven't had a top dman since pronger and it's because nobody wants to part with them. Schultz has the potential to maybe be a solid offensive number two. The most u could get for him is another promising dman with lots of potential. That's no upgrade to me.

Avatar
#71 Danger Pay
July 08 2014, 05:17PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I've got my goat for the up coming season! Was going to go with Eakins' 1-3-1 PP but J. Shultz will do just fine.

Avatar
#72 DonDon
July 08 2014, 05:20PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

you will have success if you trade for players that are better or will make you a better team. It depends on the return.

If the Oilers were to follow the logic of your thinking, then they should put Taylor Hall on the block to see what return they would get as it may make the Oilers a better team.

In fact, what about putting all the players on the block?

Avatar
#73 beaumatters
July 08 2014, 05:25PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Jason Same thing happened with Coffey. Trade him, move him to wing. Justin will be fine, just let him mature and this looks like the kind of defensive group for him to do just that. The minute he is gone, people will be looking for the offensive D that was just traded away.

Avatar
#74 Dan 1919
July 08 2014, 05:26PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
HallFever wrote:

Dean Lombardi trading Doughty is not reality. How are we ever going to have long term success if we always trade our young core?

Shultz is not the core, it’s a hopeful image being projected that Shultz will EVENTUALLY become a very good Dman for the Oilers. Let’s not overvalue our players here. Shultz would likely fetch an NHL roster player of solid calibre. Most scenarios would have the Oilers actually improve if they traded Shultz. The risk then would obviously be if Shultz develops into the player everyone speculated he would be before he even played a game in the NHL.

Avatar
#75 Lofty
July 08 2014, 05:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

you will have success if you trade for players that are better or will make you a better team. It depends on the return.

You're right.

But you also have to draft and develop players. In a salary cap world you also need to manage contracts.

If Chicago is going to sign Toews and Kane for $20 million a season, they need to draft well and use RFA salaries to lower cost.

Avatar
#76 Dan 1919
July 08 2014, 05:41PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

I don’t advocate trading Shultz for the sake of trading him, but if he wants an unrealistic contract I’d trade him in a heart beat. I see more potential in Nurse than I do in Shultz. Shultz is far from a stud Dman that is anything close to “untradeable,” especially if at age 24 with all types of defensive liabilities he thinks he’s going to play hard ball.

I think the real issue with Shultz is his attitude, no one wants to talk about it because he seems very kind and soft spoken... But he has a bad attitude and needs to try harder. Missing a pass from Hall on the power play and having the puck go back into your own zone because he was holding the stick with “one hand” for no apparent reason other than what appears to be because of that casual, “I’m really good and don’t even try that hard attitude” doesn’t cut it in the NHL.

I think he’s a great player that could peak anywhere in the range of solid NHL dman that puts up points, to a star Dman. He just needs to lose the Star Junior/University Player attitude.

Playoff teams have every player including NHL stars giving solid efforts every night. The Oilers have Taylor Hall, Ference, and a few others giving a solid effort every night. Shultz needs to join this club, and until he does he won’t be a fan favourite and will be subject to trade talk.

He’s not going to get the 6mil Hall did because he hasn’t earned it, if he thinks he’s done enough to earn that at this point, trade him.

Avatar
#77 RexHolez
July 08 2014, 05:45PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DonDon wrote:

If the Oilers were to follow the logic of your thinking, then they should put Taylor Hall on the block to see what return they would get as it may make the Oilers a better team.

In fact, what about putting all the players on the block?

Of course Taylor Hall and every other player is tradeable. If the pens were willing to trade Crosby for Hall you make the trade.

Avatar
#78 RexHolez
July 08 2014, 05:46PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Dan 1919 wrote:

Shultz is not the core, it’s a hopeful image being projected that Shultz will EVENTUALLY become a very good Dman for the Oilers. Let’s not overvalue our players here. Shultz would likely fetch an NHL roster player of solid calibre. Most scenarios would have the Oilers actually improve if they traded Shultz. The risk then would obviously be if Shultz develops into the player everyone speculated he would be before he even played a game in the NHL.

Perfectly said

Avatar
#79 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
DonDon wrote:

If the Oilers were to follow the logic of your thinking, then they should put Taylor Hall on the block to see what return they would get as it may make the Oilers a better team.

In fact, what about putting all the players on the block?

Of course. There is a price for everything. Are you saying you wouldn't make a trade to improve your club? You would refuse to trade one of your so called 'untouchables' even for a better player?

Don't be blinded by your Oiler worship. You act like these are the best players in the world and they can't be improved on.

I would trade nearly anyone if the price was right and it made my team better. The object of ice hockey is to win games.

It would be foolhardy to refuse to hear offers, especially for the likes of Schultz/ Yakupov. Why handcuff yourself with a self imposed 'untouchable' designation.

And who says Schultz and/ or Yakupov are foundation players anyway?

Avatar
#80 Cody anderson
July 08 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

I am one of the people who knows hockey and would be happy with a Schultz trade if it brought back the right return. I am actually shocked the other way. How many people are saying to lock him up long term when a lot of those same people were in favour of a 1 year deal for Petry and trading Yak.

I will not argue about J Schultz' offensive talent, but it is not even his struggles in the defensive end that concern me most, instead it is how much he cheats for offense.

I hope you are right and he becomes strong defensively especially since MacT seems to love him so much.

I don't get how we would include him in the core and not Yakupov. They are both gifted offensively and weak defensively. The main difference is that Justin plays defence. His main duty should be defence. Currently I would liken his game to having Gagner play the point.

I am all for keeping him if he is used right. If he is fed soft minutes and mostlt O-zone starts. Have him on the 1st PP unit, but use a 2nd Dman with a bomb on the other point.

There is no way he should have played the most minutes of any Dman on the team. He is currently our least responsible Dman and needs way less minutes and a reliable partner.

Avatar
#81 loyaloil
July 08 2014, 05:51PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

What would it take to get both Anisimov (CLB) and Shaw (CHI). Anisimov as second line center and Shaw for third line center. Gives Leon an extra couple of years to move up. Shaw might be cheap as a cap dump too.

Avatar
#82 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 05:58PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Lofty wrote:

You're right.

But you also have to draft and develop players. In a salary cap world you also need to manage contracts.

If Chicago is going to sign Toews and Kane for $20 million a season, they need to draft well and use RFA salaries to lower cost.

Yes, I know I'm right because it is a very basic concept. You're right too.

Wanna make out?

Avatar
#83 nuge2nail
July 08 2014, 05:59PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Oiler Domination To Follow

I'm shocked this article even needed to be written. Trading Schultz is a really stupid idea.

We need more NHL defenseman that can move the puck - not less.

Avatar
#84 J.R.
July 08 2014, 06:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

You are certain that using the first 122 games of a defenceman's career is guaranteed an accurate way to project what his future will be? I'd argue that is incredibly premature. He has only played 122 games.

Especially true, given that D-men are thought to develop later than forwards in most cases.

Avatar
#85 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 06:11PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

I'm shocked this article even needed to be written. Trading Schultz is a really stupid idea.

We need more NHL defenseman that can move the puck - not less.

So there is no player in the NHL that would be worth trading Schultz for? You know of every trade possibility available and can say unequivocally that none of them would improve the team? Amazing.

Avatar
#86 Danoilerfanincalgary
July 08 2014, 06:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Obviously anyone is tradable under the right circumstance but when your team is on the bottom other gm's will try to steal him for a player that has already plateaued while Schultz still has upside. I don't want to trade any player until we know what we have and receive fair return when and if we do trade.

Avatar
#87 Oprah sucks
July 08 2014, 06:14PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Dan 1919 wrote:

Shultz is not the core, it’s a hopeful image being projected that Shultz will EVENTUALLY become a very good Dman for the Oilers. Let’s not overvalue our players here. Shultz would likely fetch an NHL roster player of solid calibre. Most scenarios would have the Oilers actually improve if they traded Shultz. The risk then would obviously be if Shultz develops into the player everyone speculated he would be before he even played a game in the NHL.

Sorry Schultz is part of the core like it or not. If u believe ur statement then who is the core? Majority of team is based on players that have projected value before any pro games. It's very unlikely, specially right now cap and salaries in general, that oilers would get an upgrade for Schultz unless it's short term like a player approaching ufa status or an overpaid mediocre cap dump player. Teams just don't part with good d to often.

Avatar
#88 Closetgm
July 08 2014, 06:20PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Trade the one that gets us the experienced center we want. That is all

Avatar
#89 Lofty
July 08 2014, 06:21PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

Yes, I know I'm right because it is a very basic concept. You're right too.

Wanna make out?

Not yet, but it's early.

Avatar
#90 flynn
July 08 2014, 06:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
J-Bird wrote:

Quote from Gregor:

"I hate generalizations. Nothing irks me more than when someone says, "the media." Lumping all media members together annoys the hell out of me. I don't share the same beliefs as every media member, but often people throw a blanket over all media and assume they feel the same."

---------

Speaking of lumping, "Fans"....

I hate when the media thinks the vocal minority, like these folks wanting to move a Schultz, are the opinion of the majority. Most fans give two craps about Corsi, Fenwick, etc. Hockey Nerds do. Stop putting the nerd's opinions, the minority opinion, out there as the MAJORITY FANS opinion.

First I've heard of wanting to move Schultz is this article? That says a lot. I listen to 1260 every day. Lumping. Media does it all the time....

Word!

Avatar
#91 admiralmark
July 08 2014, 06:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

I would suggest that this team has now asembled essentially 3 lines of 2nd pairing dmen. We have no "bon fide" 1st pairing D at this point. It's possible that 1 or i suppose 2 of these players may emerge as a 1st pairing D one day. But until that happens they should eb safe with their long term big $$ contracts. The arrangement with 3 decent yet unspectacular pairings that exist right now will be a perfect scenario to truly assess each and everyone of them and their abilities. Nikitin, Fayne, Klefbom, Marincin, Petry, Shultz... Ference. I say run the season until the trade deadline and see what players rise to the top here. And then decide who to keep, who to trade.

Avatar
#92 Harry
July 08 2014, 06:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Unless the return is something that Mac can absolutely not turn down trading Schultz would be rediculous.

The guy chose a bottom feeding team over all other 29 teams. Trading him would send a bad message to future free agents.

A Schultz Fayne pairing would be interesting to see.

Avatar
#93 nuge2nail
July 08 2014, 06:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

So there is no player in the NHL that would be worth trading Schultz for? You know of every trade possibility available and can say unequivocally that none of them would improve the team? Amazing.

Oiler Domination To Follow

Would I trade Schultz for Letang- yes.

Would the penguins - no.

It's just pointless to discuss trading NHL dman off the Oilers roster...

So his about that #2C... Shame Hopkins had to spend his first three seasons as the #1C...

Avatar
#94 BingBong
July 08 2014, 07:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I don't want to trade Schultz. Not easy to get a d-man who can skate and move the puck like he can. Give him another few years to learn the defensive part. And hopefully develop a slapshot.

Avatar
#95 Qwerty
July 08 2014, 07:53PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@BingBong

It's not hard to find a Dman that can move the puck with indecision like he does? He's good offensively but I wouldn't say moving the puck is somthing he does extremely well

Avatar
#96 DrunkGuyTy
July 08 2014, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@ Fresh Mess

You should work on your reading comprehension. Most everything you say on here is a question that looks like you're trying to clarify a comment but misrepresenting the point completely. Some might suggest it's deliberate.

Avatar
#97 Oilers Coffey
July 08 2014, 08:03PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Man this is sick!!!!

Some fans are like a two year old who gets sick of their presents after the first night of having them. Justin Schultz and Yakupov are going to be big parts of the emergence of the Oilers.

In order to have great players you're going to have to draft and develop them PERIOD!

Remember when Justin actually CHOSE the Oilers and us fans when he signed here!!!! Don't go chasing him and our high draft picks out of town!

Avatar
#98 DrunkGuyTy
July 08 2014, 08:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

The same people that are getting on Gregor for this Shultz comment sound a lot like the ones who wont let MacT's "bold moves" comment go.

The truth is, he's ours now. Let's hope he keeps improving to the point that we have to figure out how to pay for him because he's a superstar.

Avatar
#99 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 08:15PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DrunkGuyTy wrote:

@ Fresh Mess

You should work on your reading comprehension. Most everything you say on here is a question that looks like you're trying to clarify a comment but misrepresenting the point completely. Some might suggest it's deliberate.

I don't understand. So you're saying you hate me because of the colour of my skin?

Avatar
#100 Oil Fan in Ottawa
July 08 2014, 08:38PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I like the Oilers!

Comments are closed for this article.