Ship out Schultz? Why?

Jason Gregor
July 08 2014 02:14PM

1297400175174_ORIGINAL

I've been covering the Oilers since 2001, so rarely does much surprise me anymore. I've seen a lot, and sadly for Oilers fans, most of it has been losing. However, I'll admit I'm surprised by how many people want to ship Justin Schultz out of town.

Maybe I shouldn't be, considering I've seen this movie recently staring the likes of Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner and many others, but none of those players heard the trade talk so early in their career.

Schultz has only played 122 games, yet many are convinced they know what type of player he'll be and in their eyes he won't help.

I strongly disagree.

I hate generalizations. Nothing irks me more than when someone says, "the media." Lumping all media members together annoys the hell out of me. I don't share the same beliefs as every media member, but often people throw a blanket over all media and assume they feel the same.

So let me preface my next statement by saying I understand that not all of those who believe in Corsi, Fenwick, etc want Schultz gone, but I'm surprised that many of the most vocal trade-Schultz crowd comes from that background.

The ironic part is that many of the people wanting to ship out Schultz are the same guys who have steadfastly defended Jeff Petry. It's almost like people believe they have to trade one of those two and they are picking a side. It is plausible that both can stay in Edmonton, isn't it?

Maybe it just reaffirms that we all have bias. We all do, and anyone who thinks they don't is dreaming. Stats guys have bias to believe their numbers always lead to the correct analysis, watchers of the game believe what they see on the ice is correct, and all of us value players higher or lower for various reasons.

If we all agreed, it sure would be rather boring in the Nation so I hope that never changes.

Anyways, back to Schultz, who has played less than two full NHL seasons.

He is 27th in points over the that time and 29th in points-per-game for defencemen. He is also 6th in EV goals over the past two seasons. His offensive numbers are very good, and bordering on elite.

Where Schultz struggles is in his own zone.

His Corsi and Fenwick numbers have been less than stellar, and his defensive zone coverage has been lacking. I'd say that is due to his inexperience, him having to play more minutes than he should be at this stage of his career, and that he never had to be great defensively in college.

Schultz, like every Oilers D-man, has had to play tougher minutes than they are capable of handling and that has led to some tough nights.

For me, his first two seasons have unfolded very close to how I expected them to. He was touted as an offensive defenceman, and he's lived up to that, but at the same time he's struggled defensively.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

The same was said about Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov.

Hall has become a dominant player. Eberle has had two very good seasons, while Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov have had a tougher time.

Nugent-Hopkins plays a harder position than the other three forwards, and his lack of size and experience against big, skilled western centres has been rather apparent. I believe he will have the biggest improvement this season (more on that in another article).

Yakupov had an okay first season that ended in spectacular fashion with six goals in three games. He struggled last season, but if you mention trading Yakupov the same people who want Schultz traded were the first to come to Yak's defence.

WHY THE DIFFERENCE?

Why are people more willing to move Schultz, but not Yakupov?

Both have been in the league the same time. I suspect part of it (trade talk) stems from how they have been used. People think Yakupov hasn't been given the same opportunities as Schultz, and that he will produce once he gets more icetime.

That is possible, but isn't it equally possible that Schultz will improve defensively with more experience?

The other perplexing thing for me is that winger is the only position currently where the Oilers have any depth. The Oilers don't have another D-man who can produce offensively. If they trade Schultz who is going to fill his offensive totals?

If the Oilers trade Yakupov, at least they would still have Hall, Eberle, Perron, Purcell and Pouliot.

I'm not saying they should trade Yakupov, I'm just trying to understand why so many believe trading Schultz is the right move.

WRAP UP

Schultz has very good instincts in the offensive zone. He has a deceptively good wrist/snap shot and if he learns to shoot more on the PP, I suspect his offensive totals will improve even more. Schultz is on the verge of being a great offensive D-man, and that's why I'm hesitant, in fact I'm loathe, to trade him at this point.

I fully realize that he has struggled defensively, but he can learn that part of the game. It is extremely rare that players suddenly become better offensive players in the NHL, but many offensive players have improved defensively.

I'm confident Schultz's defensive zone coverage will improve, especially with the addition of Craig Ramsey, and that's why I wouldn't deal him.

At this point I wouldn't trade any of Petry, Schultz or Yakupov, because their value is low and there is no way you would fetch a 2nd line centre for any of them.

I'd keep Schultz, but I'm surprised at how quickly some think he is more of the problem than the solution.

Recently by Jason Gregor:  

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 Wintoon
July 08 2014, 02:27PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
111
cheers

I fully agree with your statements. The problem is that the fan base is becoming increasingly impatient and negative.

As an example, MacT has made significant headway in remolding the Oilers during his 15 month tenure and yet people always seem to expect more. They expect magical trades and immediate solutions. The other GMs in the league are not incompetent. For this reason, trades must consist of value for value. They are not usually low hanging fruit.

I hope that MacT stays the course. If he does, we have a very good chance of seeing entertaining and winning hockey before very long. Maybe even contending for the Cup.

Avatar
#2 Jordan1126
July 08 2014, 02:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
72
cheers

I always look at it from the other guys view...

If schultz was available via trade would oiler fans be interested?

damn rights they would! (although all they would offer are the rights to omark)

Avatar
#3 Big K
July 08 2014, 02:47PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
58
cheers

Mac T will sign him, He's smart enough to continuosly mention him as part of the core group. He's doing what he should, be half smart with the money he has right now!

Fans that call for heads before they should are the fans who dont understand the game.

Its really nice to live in Candy land,ride your unicorn to work drinking its mountain Dew urination.

The fact still remains, alot of damage was done and its going to take time to repair. I for one, am impressed with the short order in which Mact has made us a line up that has a chance, a fighting chance i might add!!

Avatar
#4 J-Bird
July 08 2014, 03:06PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
57
cheers

Quote from Gregor:

"I hate generalizations. Nothing irks me more than when someone says, "the media." Lumping all media members together annoys the hell out of me. I don't share the same beliefs as every media member, but often people throw a blanket over all media and assume they feel the same."

---------

Speaking of lumping, "Fans"....

I hate when the media thinks the vocal minority, like these folks wanting to move a Schultz, are the opinion of the majority. Most fans give two craps about Corsi, Fenwick, etc. Hockey Nerds do. Stop putting the nerd's opinions, the minority opinion, out there as the MAJORITY FANS opinion.

First I've heard of wanting to move Schultz is this article? That says a lot. I listen to 1260 every day. Lumping. Media does it all the time....

Avatar
#5 Serious Gord
July 08 2014, 03:03PM
Trash it!
31
trashes
Cheers
46
cheers

Jason:

Please cite your evidence for making this statement: "However, I'll admit I'm surprised by how many people want to ship Justin Schultz out of town."

To my eyes and ears I have witnessed very little evidence of people wanting him shipped out of town.

You "hate generalizations".

I despise strawman arguments - especially if they eminate from someone in the media.

Avatar
#6 2004Z06
July 08 2014, 02:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
43
cheers

Simply a lack of experience, inept D coaching and absence of veteran leadership. He will get better defensively. My gosh he has less than two seasons at the NHL level.

People gripe that we moved out young assets that went on to succeed elsewhere (Stoll, Greene etc.) yet here we go again!

Avatar
#7 blainer
July 08 2014, 02:38PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
42
cheers

Players who have the puck on their stick a lot will be prone to make mistakes, kinda like PK Subban..man he really coughs up the puck a lot..I bet just about everyone on here would be happy to have PK and his mistakes.. ..its just part of the game. It is very difficult to find offence from the point..

We NEED to keep Shultz and am confident MacT will get a deal done. Mistakes are way more noticeable on D and with the right partner he should be able to thrive. I believe he is in for big year and would support signing him to a long term deal..He should however start practicing that one timer slap shot from the point ala PK Subban...

Avatar
#8 Lochenzo
July 08 2014, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers

I don't understand all of this trade talk revolving around Petry and Schultz. We JUST got this D group to the level where they can tread water.

Avatar
#9 Spoils
July 08 2014, 09:09PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers

Such a fun player when it's going right for him. Remember him leading the AHL in scoring as a D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7OHTPkpnk

take a look at some of those sneaky goals. great wrist shot.

His D will improve, the teams D will improve, the goaltending will never again be that bad.

Nobody can predict the future, but I would bet on him.

I hope MacT locks him in with a value contract.

Avatar
#10 yegCopywriter
July 08 2014, 03:12PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers

Most don't WANT Schultz traded. They just point out that if Petry is considered tradable, Schultz should be too. He is more famous and would fetch a better return than Petry.

To acquire a young 2C by trading a D, Schultz is a more realistic option. And the team with Klefbom replacing Schultz is much more competitive than with Arcobello/Lander/Draisaitl centering your second line.

Avatar
#11 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 04:12PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers
oprah sucks wrote:

article is bang on. trading schultz right now would be a fatal error on managements part. this guy needs to be paired with the right d partner ,as do most young offensive dmen or young d in general, to see this guys full potential. people that want him traded do not understand the time frame it takes for dmen to mature and being put out against toughest competition or playing too many big minutes isnt his fault. mact has said many times that justin is part of the core group and he very well should be. lets not forget that this is a player that had almost every team in the league to choose from to start his pro journey and he chose edmonton(doesnt happen often) which was clearly nothing but a hockey decision. not money, not warmer climates and peeps call on to trade him?? this fact alone says much for his character and is a guy i want as a teammate let alone all his untapped potential! i understand frustration and patience but wake up people!!

How can you make a blanket statement like "trading Schultz right now would be a fatal error" if you don't know what the return would be? It's all relative.

Avatar
#12 Mujidog
July 08 2014, 03:15PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

I don't think any smart Oilers fans are itching to trade Schultz. I'm certainly not :) Skill D are really, really rare. Schultz is incredibly young; his offensive game is already great; just needs to work on his defensive game. He'll get better. He's only been playing pro hockey for 2 years!

Avatar
Trash it!
66
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

Sign this guy already. $4.5 x 5years.

Avatar
#14 HallFever
July 08 2014, 03:44PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers

Schultz and Yakupov must STAY.

Avatar
#15 Racki
July 08 2014, 02:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

I have nothing against any of the D here, but I still have to wonder who can eat up high minutes here and look good doing it. The team would be better served if Petry didn't have to play the hard minutes all the time. Maybe Fayne helps carry that burden, I don't know. But none of the D really seem to stand out here above anyone else (at least in the top 4). That's somewhat of a good and bad thing. Would be nice to have a minute eating D man here. It also would be nice to have a 2nd line C. Hard to fix both just by moving Petry or Schultz.

Some patience should fix both issues, but it will be another tough season probably if they don't change anything, unless some guys have some pretty big years.

Avatar
#16 geno
July 08 2014, 02:36PM
Trash it!
76
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

Schultz can't handle ES minutes against most any competition. His impressive ES goal total is more than overturned by the amount of ES goals he aids in allowing when he's on the ice. He's proven to be nothing more than MA Bergeron, but he has value on the market. That's why people would trade him over Petry. They could replace his offence by signing DelZotto to a

Avatar
#17 Jordan1126
July 08 2014, 02:58PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
Rick wrote:

We have to keep in mind that a lot of these folks who want to trade every body and chase the rest out of town are "NEW" Oiler fans who have moved her from the east .They are so used to running everyone out of town in Toronto and Montreal That it is just how they where brought up as fans they cant help it . .Just ignore them because you don't have to scratch to too deep to find a Leafs or Hab's fan.

true maple leaf and hab fans don't change to oilers fans regardless if they live in katz penthouse suite getting served fruit by his fro son, or if they live in georgia picking peaches and making pies...they are arrogantly diehards.

Avatar
#18 Warred
July 08 2014, 04:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he will improve under Ramsey very little went right for any player on this team with Eakins Ahl game plan and tactics. I think if the coaching staff employes a Nhl gameplan that is deliberate and direct from the start we may have something meaningful to watch into the late stages of the year

Avatar
#19 Kim
July 08 2014, 02:57PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Very hard to evaluate players on the Oilers since they have been the worst team in the NHL for the last 8 years. Hard for the fans and hard for management.

Avatar
#20 Lochenzo
July 08 2014, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

When Duncan Keith was an up and coming Dman, he had Brian Campbell playing ahead of him. Duncan Keith had the luxury of growing into a top pairing Dman and then some and he did it very quickly. When you're being force-fed before you're ready, it gets messy.

Avatar
#21 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 03:05PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

I don't see a massive campaign to trade Schultz anywhere. But Gregor I ask you, why do so many fans, pundits, and Oilers hockey staff talk about Schultz like he is a pillar of some kind of future dynasty?

I fully agree that Yak is more expendable, but I would entertain offers for either if the return addressed a glaring need.

Avatar
#23 Rick
July 08 2014, 02:55PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

We have to keep in mind that a lot of these folks who want to trade every body and chase the rest out of town are "NEW" Oiler fans who have moved her from the east .They are so used to running everyone out of town in Toronto and Montreal That it is just how they where brought up as fans they cant help it . .Just ignore them because you don't have to scratch to too deep to find a Leafs or Hab's fan.

Avatar
#24 TigerUnderGlass
July 08 2014, 04:58PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
21
cheers

@Jason Gregor

Stats guys have bias to believe their numbers always lead to the correct analysis

This is false. No reasonable stat guy would tell you the numbers are always right. Stats guy believe that the numbers can help make better bets on a future performance than the eyes alone.

Avatar
#25 YakCity1024
July 08 2014, 02:43PM
Trash it!
56
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Only way you trade Schultz is if you get a top-2 dman like Shea Weber back in return.

Avatar
#26 Hockey fan
July 08 2014, 03:02PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Rick wrote:

We have to keep in mind that a lot of these folks who want to trade every body and chase the rest out of town are "NEW" Oiler fans who have moved her from the east .They are so used to running everyone out of town in Toronto and Montreal That it is just how they where brought up as fans they cant help it . .Just ignore them because you don't have to scratch to too deep to find a Leafs or Hab's fan.

Talk about goofy generalizations.

Avatar
#27 carson
July 08 2014, 03:05PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers

Not a Schultz hater, but I don't think it's a case of fans running Schultz out of town AT ALL. It's really a case of perceived value vs. reality. Schultz is the Oilers most productive offensive d-man according to the stat sheet and looks to be well on his way to becoming a PP specialist, but that doesn't make him a true top 4. Last year, the Oilers dressed a grand total of one legit top 4 d-man - Petry - and he buckled under the workload. Schultz, on the other hand, plays easier minutes and gives up more than he gets. BUT, his 30-something points are more impressive looking than Petry's 18 or whatever, so he has a higher perceived value. It's like Hall vs. Eberle. I like both players a tongue, but you couldn't convince me that Eberle was a more essential part of the puzzle than Hall. Amazingly, there are still people who would disagree and maybe even people around the league. That's why, hypothetically, Eberle is a better option for a trade. Would I trade him? No, but he would be a less painful loss than Hall. I think that's what the talk of Schultz has mostly been. He puts up points, but he needs MAJOR support in the defensive zone and his value would be higher than a guy like Petry, who has a falsely manufactured low value.

Avatar
#28 2004Z06
July 08 2014, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
Kim wrote:

Very hard to evaluate players on the Oilers since they have been the worst team in the NHL for the last 8 years. Hard for the fans and hard for management.

And playing 2 levels above where they belong on the depth chart!

Avatar
#29 Fresh Mess
July 08 2014, 04:27PM
Trash it!
28
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
HallFever wrote:

Schultz and Yakupov must STAY.

So, let's say Dean Lombardi has a mental breakdown and offers Doughty for Schultz and Yak...you are saying you would turn it down because SCHULTZ AND YAKUPOV MUST STAY! ???

I'm just trying to understand how you arrive at these absolutes.

Avatar
#30 Chunkylover69@yahoo.com
July 08 2014, 03:02PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Great article! You nailed it. I have a great feeling about the direction we are heading and Shultz is a big part of the future. A hundred and a few games into what was a giant learning curve and he is trending beautifully. Term and contract are the only discussions we all should be having.

Avatar
#31 Will
July 08 2014, 03:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

So one of the most high profile free agents in the last five years, decided to come to a team notable for not being able to land free agents, and the first thing we want to do is trade him away?

I think you hit the nail on the head Gregor in that Schultz has come as billed, I can't remember a single report that said defensive shut down stud comes to Edmonton. That's not why he was sought after. It would be crazy to trade this kid. It would be nice to see that list of 29, maybe even push it out to 40 to see what company Schultz is in. Then maybe look at the more advanced stats for the guys on that list and see how Schultz compares defensively to the people he compares with offensively.

Anyway, he's not here to make 7 mill per year at 7 years and save our defence, he's here to add an offensive element to the back end, and then hopefully shore up his defensive play through less minutes and easier competition.

My only real question is who he gets paired with this year. My first instinct would be Nikitin as that leaves the Marincin Petry pair to continue to play as best as they can on the top line, and creates a much better shut down duo in Ference and Fayne, all while giving Schultz a more experienced partner who has some size and all around ability.

But many pundits believe he'll end up on the third line with Ferrence. This could work better as both would be asked to play less minutes than last year, but that would leave the unproven duo of Fayne and Nikitin. Not to mention, there's also going to be Nurse and Klefbom pushing for spots which could screw everything up again.

Who do you see him playing with?

Avatar
#32 Dwayne Roloson 35
July 08 2014, 03:15PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Its because our "fans" are kind of stupid. they find a goat every year to run out of town.schultz seems to be the next in line

Avatar
#33 Dan 1919
July 08 2014, 05:41PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

I don’t advocate trading Shultz for the sake of trading him, but if he wants an unrealistic contract I’d trade him in a heart beat. I see more potential in Nurse than I do in Shultz. Shultz is far from a stud Dman that is anything close to “untradeable,” especially if at age 24 with all types of defensive liabilities he thinks he’s going to play hard ball.

I think the real issue with Shultz is his attitude, no one wants to talk about it because he seems very kind and soft spoken... But he has a bad attitude and needs to try harder. Missing a pass from Hall on the power play and having the puck go back into your own zone because he was holding the stick with “one hand” for no apparent reason other than what appears to be because of that casual, “I’m really good and don’t even try that hard attitude” doesn’t cut it in the NHL.

I think he’s a great player that could peak anywhere in the range of solid NHL dman that puts up points, to a star Dman. He just needs to lose the Star Junior/University Player attitude.

Playoff teams have every player including NHL stars giving solid efforts every night. The Oilers have Taylor Hall, Ference, and a few others giving a solid effort every night. Shultz needs to join this club, and until he does he won’t be a fan favourite and will be subject to trade talk.

He’s not going to get the 6mil Hall did because he hasn’t earned it, if he thinks he’s done enough to earn that at this point, trade him.

Avatar
#34 nuge2nail
July 08 2014, 05:59PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Oiler Domination To Follow

I'm shocked this article even needed to be written. Trading Schultz is a really stupid idea.

We need more NHL defenseman that can move the puck - not less.

Avatar
#35 Oil Vice
July 08 2014, 09:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

It wouldn't be a wise trade. He's developing. It's too early and wouldn't get fair value anyways . He's got some of the best offensive instincts we've seen in a while on the back end.

Avatar
#36 flyfish1168
July 08 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

This is why I like the NFL. No guarantee contracts. If I pay you to get 50 points and a +/- that is +20 and your corsi is positive and you keep failing this than your contract should be terminated.

You should not be paid on potential. Pain only on the work you show me that you can do. Other wise we should ALL BE PAID A MILLION BUCK.

Avatar
#37 Dangilitis
July 08 2014, 11:07PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

I guess you didn't read the very next line in the article....

"So let me preface my next statement by saying I understand that not all of those who believe in Corsi, Fenwick, etc want Schultz gone, but I'm surprised that many of the most vocal trade-Schultz crowd comes from that background."

But since you didn't comprehend that statement, I guess I shouldn't be surprised you resort to calling people nerds because they use numbers. Smart.

Many is better than most, but it's still a generalization that lacks merit. Lowetide has an article today about Schultz and I think you would be considering him to be a Petry loving, Corsi loving fan. But he wants Schultz to stay. So do most others who consider that analysis as useful as "saw him good." So to pretend like you have not made a generalization is all semantics, and from my vantage point you have not provided any evidence that "many" such individuals want Schultz gone. If you are going to make a claim like that, giving examples is the way to avoid making generalizations, and is the irony of the entire article. This is exactly how rumors are started about people wanting a player out of town.

What's fair to say based on the articles and comments I've read recently is that many don't want Mact offering loads of money to this guy after the performance in 122 games, which will be overvaluing his past play, and will alienate players like petry who should not be perceived as inferior to Schultz at this stage. It's also fair to say that many don't want to see Schultz considered a core part of this team based on his uneven performance over the first 2 seasons, but at the same time recognize his potential and realize that Dmen take longer to develop and it's not always a straight line with the development process. This was I think the message you are trying to convey as well it just came off as a bit hypocritical.

Let me end by saying that Schultz has been like found money, we shouldn't have gotten him in the first place and I hope he is a top 4 d man at evens and recovers his pp production from his rookie season. At the same time I find your comment about his offensive production as being elite interesting, and am curious if Marc Andre Bergeron would have ever cracked top 30 nhl dman scoring...

Avatar
#38 oprah sucks
July 08 2014, 03:30PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

article is bang on. trading schultz right now would be a fatal error on managements part. this guy needs to be paired with the right d partner ,as do most young offensive dmen or young d in general, to see this guys full potential. people that want him traded do not understand the time frame it takes for dmen to mature and being put out against toughest competition or playing too many big minutes isnt his fault. mact has said many times that justin is part of the core group and he very well should be. lets not forget that this is a player that had almost every team in the league to choose from to start his pro journey and he chose edmonton(doesnt happen often) which was clearly nothing but a hockey decision. not money, not warmer climates and peeps call on to trade him?? this fact alone says much for his character and is a guy i want as a teammate let alone all his untapped potential! i understand frustration and patience but wake up people!!

Avatar
#39 Zarny
July 08 2014, 03:33PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
carson wrote:

Not a Schultz hater, but I don't think it's a case of fans running Schultz out of town AT ALL. It's really a case of perceived value vs. reality. Schultz is the Oilers most productive offensive d-man according to the stat sheet and looks to be well on his way to becoming a PP specialist, but that doesn't make him a true top 4. Last year, the Oilers dressed a grand total of one legit top 4 d-man - Petry - and he buckled under the workload. Schultz, on the other hand, plays easier minutes and gives up more than he gets. BUT, his 30-something points are more impressive looking than Petry's 18 or whatever, so he has a higher perceived value. It's like Hall vs. Eberle. I like both players a tongue, but you couldn't convince me that Eberle was a more essential part of the puzzle than Hall. Amazingly, there are still people who would disagree and maybe even people around the league. That's why, hypothetically, Eberle is a better option for a trade. Would I trade him? No, but he would be a less painful loss than Hall. I think that's what the talk of Schultz has mostly been. He puts up points, but he needs MAJOR support in the defensive zone and his value would be higher than a guy like Petry, who has a falsely manufactured low value.

Schultz looks to be on his way to becoming a PP specialist?

Really? Because over the last two seasons he ranks 6th among D for even strength goals. Of his 33 PT last year only 13 were on the PP.

Sorry, but that isn't becoming a PP specialist. That's simply a young D with only 122 games experience and holes in his defensive game putting up very good offensive numbers that border on elite in all situations.

Avatar
#41 Oiler Al
July 08 2014, 04:44PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

J.G., couldn't agree with you more!... this guy is a keeper. Pair him with a solid stay at home guy and this guy will score some serious points from the back end. He will get better with time, never be a defensive giant ,but neither are Karlsson, Letang , OEL, and co. Fans are always wanting Oilers to sign thee guys, well you got one on your own team.

Tie him up long term.

Avatar
#42 Cody anderson
July 08 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

I am one of the people who knows hockey and would be happy with a Schultz trade if it brought back the right return. I am actually shocked the other way. How many people are saying to lock him up long term when a lot of those same people were in favour of a 1 year deal for Petry and trading Yak.

I will not argue about J Schultz' offensive talent, but it is not even his struggles in the defensive end that concern me most, instead it is how much he cheats for offense.

I hope you are right and he becomes strong defensively especially since MacT seems to love him so much.

I don't get how we would include him in the core and not Yakupov. They are both gifted offensively and weak defensively. The main difference is that Justin plays defence. His main duty should be defence. Currently I would liken his game to having Gagner play the point.

I am all for keeping him if he is used right. If he is fed soft minutes and mostlt O-zone starts. Have him on the 1st PP unit, but use a 2nd Dman with a bomb on the other point.

There is no way he should have played the most minutes of any Dman on the team. He is currently our least responsible Dman and needs way less minutes and a reliable partner.

Avatar
#43 Lofty
July 08 2014, 03:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I'm glad that the fact that Schultz chose to come to Edmonton hasn't come up.

Pragmatically, it should have nothing to do with if he stays or goes. Or how many dollars or years he gets on his next contract.

I think he's always going to be an offensive specialist and not a top pairing player, but I'd like to see him signed for 3 years at 3.75 each.

I have very high hopes for Nurse, I especially like his feisty'ness. I would like Schultz to be around when Nurse should be coming up with the big club (in 2 years.) IMO Nurse will be the straw that stirs the drink for the Oil. Energize the lineup and be a leader.

Avatar
#44 Serious Gord
July 08 2014, 03:32PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
oprah sucks wrote:

article is bang on. trading schultz right now would be a fatal error on managements part. this guy needs to be paired with the right d partner ,as do most young offensive dmen or young d in general, to see this guys full potential. people that want him traded do not understand the time frame it takes for dmen to mature and being put out against toughest competition or playing too many big minutes isnt his fault. mact has said many times that justin is part of the core group and he very well should be. lets not forget that this is a player that had almost every team in the league to choose from to start his pro journey and he chose edmonton(doesnt happen often) which was clearly nothing but a hockey decision. not money, not warmer climates and peeps call on to trade him?? this fact alone says much for his character and is a guy i want as a teammate let alone all his untapped potential! i understand frustration and patience but wake up people!!

It might be bang on if there was any significant number of fans saying he should be traded. But there aren't so its a straw man argument which is the milli vanilli version of argument.

Avatar
#45 flyfish1168
July 08 2014, 03:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I would love to keep Schultz. But only for the right price. He and his agent must realize that he is still a work in progress and not be paid elite or core salary.

At this time he is only good at one out of the three zones and is a one dimensional player. He should be than paid acccordingly.

Avatar
#46 Sean17
July 08 2014, 03:54PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

He is Brian Campbell 2.0. Great offense, ok defense. Puts up points, not PIM. And that is perfectly fine by me. If he can be surrounded by other D-Men who can cover for him. I think Paul Coffey had the luxury of a D partner that did that for him and it worked out pretty good.

Avatar
#47 HallFever
July 08 2014, 04:51PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Fresh Mess

Dean Lombardi trading Doughty is not reality. How are we ever going to have long term success if we always trade our young core?

Avatar
#48 David S
July 08 2014, 03:56PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Not saying anything negative about Schultz' "defense" because there's already enough of that around here, but if he was anywhere near 50% on the dot we'd have our 2C problem solved.

Avatar
#49 Stack Pad Save
July 08 2014, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

I would love to see some improvement under Ramsay with the Oilers D this year. This aspect of the game has been the main reason the Oilers have struggled so much. There has been such a tremendous lack of development at the NHL level for the Oilers D corps.

IMHO, if we don't see improvement and register statistical improvement from the Oilers D this year the Oilers will stay stuck in Permanent Rebuild Mode. I am hoping the best move the Oilers make was getting Ramsay to coach the D, and this causes improvement to JSchultz, Petry and Marincin's game. I also hope we see Fayne, Nikitin and Ference playing at or near their career bests as well.

Avatar
#50 Total Points
July 08 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Who are the fans who want to trade Schultz. Obviously a slow news day so Gregor has to stir something up.

Typical media leading the negative parade. By simply indicate that "some" fans want to trade Shultz it encourages all the negative Nellies to comment more negative stuff. I am sure some fans want to get rid of Gregor.

It is time for media and fans to look a little more on the positive side before another very good player is run out of town.

I expect more out of Gregor. I usually enjoy his comments

Comments are closed for this article.