August 31 2014 12:26PM
September long is here, but the Oilers didn't give us the rookie TC roster to discuss. Word is it'll be out next week, and the main list will arrive behind it. Since we have all afternoon to talk Oilers (tomorrow will be devoted to the Eskimos) let's see how close we can get to the actual list.
- G Ben Scrivens—I'm picking him to win the No. 1 job. Kiss of death!! Cheering like hell for him.
- G Viktor Fasth—If he wins the No. 1 job, Edmonton will need to sign him.
- G Richard Bachman—A solid AHL option and could see time in the city during 2014-15.
G Laurent Brossoit—He'll get a chance with OKC this season.
G Tyler Bunz—A big season ahead.
- G Frans Tuohimaa—Complete wildcard.
- G Ty Rimmer—No roster spot, nothing to lose.
G Keven Bouchard—Latest goalie drafted, maybe 9000th time is the charm?
- D Mark Fayne—Big minutes in tough situations all year long.
- D Jeff Petry—In his walk year, could be his last with Edmonton.
- D Martin Marincin—He's the kid in the lead, how long does it last?
- D Nikita Nikitin—Big offseason pickup will get chances in all three disciplines.
- D Andrew Ference—Team captain has more veterans helping this season.
- D Justin Schultz—Ready to take 'lightning rod D' mantle when Petry leaves.
- D Keith Aulie—Eakins' Marlies continue to arrive each summer.
- D Oscar Klefbom—I think he's close, may pass Marincin this season.
D Darnell Nurse—Has the potential to leap all of the other youngsters this fall.
- D Brandon Davidson—Keeps getting mentioned in good ways.
D Brad Hunt—Chaos incorporated, his skill set is somewhat unique on this roster.
- D David Musil—Unlikely to be in the NHL picture this season, but progressing.
D Martin Gernat—Range of skills makes him a legit prospect.
- D Dillon Simpson—Fascinating player to follow this season. Could move up quickly.
- D Jordan Oesterle—I'm unsure he's ahead of anyone on the 50-man list.
- D Graeme Craig—WHL grad looking for pro sorties. AHL contract.
D CJ Ludwig—Intriguing NCAA grad, may have more potential than Oesterle. AHL contract.
D Ben Betker—Big man with mobility. NHL teams love these blue.
- D William Lagesson—Newest hire on D, rugged kid with ability.
- C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—I hope he's been eating his Wheaties, they're going to ride him hard.
- C Leon Draisaitl—As we've discussed, the minor league boxcars suggest he can deliver the offense.
- C Boyd Gordon—Down, down in a coalmine, underneath the ground......
- C Mark Arcobello—Oilers believe in him, and this is his big chance. I think he grabs it.
- C Anton Lander—Utility role could increase with injuries.
C Will Acton—Probably the first C callup, at least early in the season.
- C Travis Ewanyk—Oilers love his effort and improved checking, needs to score!
C Bogdan Yakimov—Big man will play a lot in Oklahoma.
C Jujhar Khaira—Brief look with the Barons last year encouraging.
C Jason Williams—Strong OKC option for 1C, unlikely to be in NHL this year.
C Connor Jones—The undrafted twin, no idea.
- C Greg Chase—He's already better than some pro players. Apparently faster.
- C Marco Roy—Healthy and on the Mem Cup host team's roster. Stage is set.
C Kyle Platzer—Checking center of the future plays a subtle game.
C Liam Coughlin—Can't wait to see him on the ice.
- L Taylor Hall—The franchise.
- L Nail Yakupov—I've listed him on LW, could be other side. BIG season for Yak's future.
- L Benoit Pouliot—Important addition, he should be able to fill multiple roles.
- L Matt Hendricks—Defensive zone starts, penalty-killing, muscle.
L Luke Gazdic—I'll list him but he may not play during TC.
L Ryan Hamilton—Too slow for NHL, but solid AHL player.
L Curtis Hamilton—Last chance Texaco.
L Mitchell Moroz—The LW depth chart in OKC is not Everest.
L Kale Kessy—Tough winger should be able to make an impression
- L Kellen Jones—The drafted twin, skill and lack of size.
- L Josh Winquist—Exceptional junior scorer last year.
L Vladimir Tkachev—Junior phenom gets invite. Already 3 points in preseason.
- R Jordan Eberle—Goal-scoring winger is very consistent.
- R David Perron—May play mentor to the German C.
- R Teddy Purcell—Could explode offensively with the right linemates.
- R Tyler Pitlick—I think he has an excellent chance to play 50 games in a two-way role.
- R Jesse Joensuu—He has until Gazdic is ready to show something.
- R Steve Pinizzotto—Has an outside shot at an NHL job.
R Mike Ford—Minor league scorer.
- R Iiro Pakarinen—Somewhat unknown, blossomed offensively a year ago.
R Andrew Miller—Had an improved second half
- R Mitch Holmberg—62 WHL goals last year. 62!!!
- R Jackson Houck—An emerging PF talent.
- R Chris Baltisberger—Attended orientation camp, apparently invited to main one too.
I think that's close, they'll probably have a surprise or two, and Alex Krushelnyski may attend as well. Any additions or deletions? Let me know. One thing I'll say: The depth at center and on defense has improved tremendously since Craig MacTavish arrived as GM.
Cover photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved.