The Oilers have recalled Darnell Nurse and put Griffin Reinhart on injured reserve. Justin Schultz did not make the trip to Minnesota, so the Oilers have a spot on the backend, and I believe they need Nurse’s speed.
The Oilers blueline is not gifted with a lot of footspeed right now, and they got slower with Schultz being injured, so recalling Nurse makes sense.
Reports suggest he has played a strong defensive game in Bakersfield, and will likely start in the third pairing in Minnesota tomorrow night. They could switch all of their D pairs and put Sekera with Nurse, Klefbom with Fayne and keep Gryba in the third pair with Ference or Davidson, but I suspect McLellan won’t change all three pairings tomorrow.
Reinhart can be put on IR retroactive to October 19th, and he could be eligible to return later this week if needed. McLellan didn’t offer much on Schultz’s injury today other than to say it wasn’t long term.
I’m looking forward to watching Nurse. I like his speed, aggressiveness and overall skill. I believe he will a good addition.
Earlier this season Peter Chiarelli said when they recalled Nurse they wanted it to be for good, but this recall might alter that due to injuries, or maybe they feel he is ready now. My prediction is Nurse plays well and stays here the remainder of the season.
- It sounds like Jordan Eberle is hoping to start skating with the team next week. They are looking at a possible return sometime after he has a few hard skates. His exact return date will depend on how the shoulder handles contact in practice. It sounds like November 10th to 15th could be reasonable.
Recently by Jason Gregor:
- GDB 8.0: Capital Punishment
- Winning helping Oilers and Yakupov
- Random thoughts on Wings, Oilers and more
- Oilers recall Miller
- GDB 4.0: Final home opener at 118 ave
- There is no quick fix for Oilers
- GDB 3.0: In search of offence