Chris the Intern
December 17 2016 11:17PM
Talbot's fist pump said it all. Final Score: 3-2 Oilers.
I'll have you know that this is not my first wrap-up. In fact, I had the pleasure of writing the wrap-up for the last game ever at Rexall Place, which is pretty historic if you ask me. I don't mean to brag (yes I do), but that now makes me 2-0 when writing the game wrap-ups.
I was telling Baggedmilk this week that I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. They've essentially finished the hardest part of the schedule, and have a much less demanding few months ahead of them. For the first time this year, the Oilers had a three-day break, and it showed.
It showed in a sense that they came out dominating. They played a real solid first two periods, an average third period, and put it away in the shootout. It was a little nerve-wrecking going into the third period tied 1-1 though. The Lightning were playing their third game in four nights, and are without a Steven Stamkos. We really should have been able to put this game away in regular time. As disappointing as it was that we even HAD to take it to a shootout, none of that matters now. The Oilers are now a win away from leading the Pacific, and maintain their position in a playoff spot.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The Oilers have been wearing their snazzy, new orange sweaters a lot this year! *swoons*
- Ignoring the fact that we need to capitalize on more opportunities, the Oilers came out flying tonight while out-playing the Lightning through the first two periods.
- I could have sworn that Steve Stamkos was going to sign in Toronto. Didn't LeafsNation write dozens of articles about that? Hmm.
- Kris Russell is still alive after getting obliterated from behind from Brown in the first period.
- The Oilers didn't give up a shot until 12 minutes into the first period. Sure it was a breakaway, but Talbot made a heckuva save.
- Connor McDavid said in the off season that he wanted to improve his face offs. He went 11-6 tonight and won 8 of his last 9 prior to the game. This proves that the man is not all natural-born talent. Connor hustles like no other.
- I was going to find a way to beak Baggedmilk for his choice of the wrap-up theme tonight, but I can't. Having an empty box of Chicken McNuggets is not something to joke about. Good pick.
- The Oilers have been hot on the power play this month. 12 power play goals so far in December.
- Draisaitl was once again one of the best Oilers on the ice tonight. It's going to be very bitter-sweet when we sign him for big $$$ next summer.
- Mark Letestu continues his shootout dominance with another goal. Now 14/31 in his career.
- Connor McDavid scored his first career shootout goal tonight. Yes that's surprising, but I love him so who cares.
- Talbot played another stellar game tonight, earning his 15th win of the season. He's now passed Jussi Markkanen for 8th on the all-time wins by an Edmonton goaltender.
The Face Palmers
- I feel for Matt Hendricks. He started the season late, got ridiculed for not playing well and got mixed in with some trade rumours. I love the guy and don't want to see him go, but the guy needs to pot one soon.
- There were some very odd penalty calls this game. Not to mention the non-call when Boyle slashed the stick out of Davidson's hands and Drouin continued to score. *crumples up paper*
- The Oilers have been pretty successful on the power play as of late, but they REALLY like to pass. Sometimes too much. Actually, most of the time too much.
- We created a lot of scoring opportunities this game which is great and all, but we need to capitalize on more of them. The bolts played their third game in four nights. It shouldn't have been tied at the end of the second period.
- Rogers Place appeared louder than normal tonight, but still sent out a lot of library vibes. I still think we need some college hockey-esque chanting to happen in there.
|03:58||Edmonton||PPG - Milan Lucic (9) ASST: Leon Draisaitl (14), Andrej Sekera (10)||0-1|
|18:59||Tampa Bay||PPG - Jonathan Drouin (7) ASST: Victor Hedman (19), Brayden Point (10)||1-1|
|02:35||Tampa Bay||Tyler Johnson (9) ASST: Cory Conacher (1), Nikita Nesterov (4)||2-1|
|07:03||Edmonton||PPG - Leon Draisaitl (14) ASST: Mark Letestu (8), Andrej Sekera (11)||2-2|
|Edmonton||Goal - Mark Letestu||-|
|Tampa Bay||Missed - Brayden Point||-|
|Edmonton||Missed - Leon Draisaitl||-|
|Tampa Bay||Goal - Jonathan Drouin||-|
|Edmonton||Goal - Connor McDavid||-|
|Tampa Bay||Missed - Brian Boyle||-|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Spezza v Manning pic.twitter.com/airuXnf6BW— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 17, 2016
Beat up Bolts, playing their third game in four nights, shouldn't even be in this game against rested Oilers, should they?— Robin Brownlee (@Robin_Brownlee) December 18, 2016
Shouldn't Drouin be in the AHL or something? #TBLvsEDM— gordy in 140 (@TheNationChris) December 18, 2016
@OilersNation Nice Drai pump too, which sounds painful.— Ryan (@IAmByks) December 18, 2016
TBH McD looks a little tired tonight. Like, tired of being an entire NHL team.— Matt Barwick (@therealfoz) December 18, 2016
NATIONGEAR BOXING DAY SALE
Stay tuned to the NationGear Twitter account for when we reveal what's happening for Boxing Week! We'll have sales, discounts, and opportunities to win some free NationGear! Stay tuned.