Ten Reasons Why Jordan Eberle Should Be The Next Captain

Cat Silverman
July 28 2016 09:00AM

Here are the top ten reasons that Jordan Eberle will make the perfect Oilers captain.

Earlier today, trusty(ish) general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed that the team will get something new for the first time in a year - a player to wear the 'C', starting before the 2016-17 season opener.

Last year, I would have suggested that of the four alternate captains - Taylor Hall, Jordan Ebere, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and ex-captain Andrew Ference - Hall was probably the best choice for this nomination.

#RIP that idea.

Now that Hall is gone, though, I have a new number one candidate: my gap-toothed boy Ebs. I think he'd do a bang-up job, and I have a whole list of reasons why:

1. He's great with the kids

edmonton-ab-february-2-2016-edmonton-oilers-connor-mc1

A good captain is a good leader - and good leaders are, first and foremost, good with children.

Connor McDavid had a great first season, minus the whole 'being broken for half the year' thing - and Eberle was a big part of that, serving as a great linemate for the rookie phenom.

Ca_W0VJW4AAm7KC

Beyond the numbers, though, Eberle always seemed to be there, just to help his teammate out. Whether it was to listen to him or to praise him for being great, 14 made a concerted effort to include his newest, youngest pal last year. What could be better in a captain?!

2. He cares about animals

a9b98a4de825974648c469ad673992ad

Look at that embrace!

tumblr_lz064crCtA1qm6joao1_1280

LOOK AT THAT LOVE.

Amirite?

3. He's been a great talent over the last handful of seasons, despite playing on a team full of utter garbage

For more on this, check out what I wrote last week.

A hell of a lot of Oilers managed to underperform in relation to expectations in the last decade, which was justified in part because the franchise itself had dissolved into such a sideshow joke. Eberle, though, didn't fit that bill; he actually managed to remain a sustainable top six level of production over the entirety of his career. That's leadership.

4. He pays attention to detail

tumblr_mguf67lVDC1rlza19o1_500

LEADERSHIP BEHAVIOUR ALERT.

Remember when Tom Gilbert and Andrew Cogliano let us know that Sam Gagner was basically a giant slob who didn't mind living in his own filth and sleeping on beds without sheets? Total red flag.

Jordan Eberle, on the other hand, is far more detail-oriented. He'll remember the little things, making him an excellent captain.

5. He wants to win

WeJustNeedToWin

#JUSTWINBABY

6. He's an advocate of equality

As the years go by, more and more players have been joining in speaking out in favor of LGBTQ rights. Ebs has been a part of this, as well - but unlike a lot of the players who have allied with the You Can Play Project, Eberle's support dates back to 2012.

Obviously, he leads socially by example. What could be better??

7. He has great food takes

fondue

SAME, JORDAN, SAME

8. It would make Wanye happy

If my boss is happy, I'm happy. And if I'm happy, you guys get better content.

This checks out as a very valid and reasonable excuse to name someone captain of a professional sports franchise that I get media access to exactly five times a year!

9. It won't rush McJesus

mcdavidautograph_77730

For the last decade, the Oilers have been in a neverending rebuild, full of rotating saviours in the form of young, exciting blue chip pieces.

We're now on our third group of future icons in that ten year time frame. Let's not rush this group, yes?

By giving Eberle the 'C', McDavid gets more time to develop. Then, in a few years' time, the torch is passed and everything comes up smelling like roses.

#FLAWLESSLOGIC.

10. He'll bring the fashion game

Possibly the biggest contribution Andrew Ference made to the Oilers while captain was his impeccable fashion game. Motion for this fashion-forward trend among captains to continue.

6e4628d4894419a7d14609846bb369f2
Hockey Development with the Arizona Coyotes. Embarrassing mom of a little goalie. If you want to learn more about goalies, I work with InGoal Magazine (and sometimes, I do stuff with USA Hockey). Was once told I'd have better access to scouting reports if I became an ice girl. Decided not to. Yes, I hate your favorite player.
#51 Wax Man Riley
July 28 2016, 12:49PM

I have it on good authority that the next Oilers captain will be Sam Gagner

#52 Scary Gary
July 28 2016, 01:22PM

What's the rush? I'm sure by the end of this coming season it will be apparent who's leading this team.

#53 madjam
July 28 2016, 01:30PM

Eberle for captain , because he makes best commercials !

Plus he is a born Western Canadian . That makes 12 good reasons .

#54 Jay (not J)
July 28 2016, 01:41PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I have it on good authority that the next Oilers captain will be Sam Gagner

Georges Laraques told me it's going to be Taylor Hall, hands down.

#55 pkam
July 28 2016, 01:52PM
madjam wrote:

Eberle for captain , because he makes best commercials !

Plus he is a born Western Canadian . That makes 12 good reasons .

One more reason to add the list to 13, he is the longest serving active Oilers, the only Oilers left since 2010.

#56 Roberto
July 28 2016, 01:57PM

I read the article and I'm still not sure.... it was all a joke right? Serious question

#57 Wanye
July 28 2016, 01:59PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I have it on good authority that the next Oilers captain will be Sam Gagner

Careful. Those types of predictions can be tricky.

#58 Wanye
July 28 2016, 01:59PM
Spydyr wrote:

Wayne thought Snowpants should be Captain so this site has a record of bad choices for Captain of the Oilers.

Agreed. WHAT AN IDIOT

#59 Wanye
July 28 2016, 02:00PM
jt in Oilertown wrote:

Has anyone ever seen Cat and Wanye in the same place?

Nope. WHAT AN IDIOT

#60 #97Train/McDavidCopperfield
July 28 2016, 02:10PM
Jay (not J) wrote:

Georges Laraques told me it's going to be Taylor Hall, hands down.

Ya I remember that!! Lol

#61 Oiler Al
July 28 2016, 02:12PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I LOVE JORDAN!!!

Practice safe sex!

#62 madjam
July 28 2016, 02:17PM
pkam wrote:

And to make it 14 , just like his jersey , he is also our best golfer on team .

#63 Dangerous Dylan
July 28 2016, 02:47PM

Eberle has always been my favourite player and 2 years ago I would've agreed completely. Also Ebs grew up an Oilers fan. But there is no doubt in my mind that this is Connor's team now. He is ready.

McDavid - C Eberle - A Nuge / Klef - A

Marty Hendricks is already a great leader and I think giving an A to another player would be more beneficial.

#64 Trainreck Is Over??
July 28 2016, 03:01PM
madjam wrote:

Eberle for captain , because he makes best commercials !

Plus he is a born Western Canadian . That makes 12 good reasons .

Plus we like to trade our Captains. That makes 15.

#65 Pouzar99
July 28 2016, 03:14PM

I love Jordan Eberle. If TM decides he is worth of wearing an A that is fine with me. It will also be fine if he wears no letter at all. I will give Cat the benefit of the doubt by assuming she is having some fun here, stirring the pot during a long summer. My own cat, Betty the Cat, has been sitting in front of the TV for over a decade during Oiler games dreaming of tuna. She has never indicated a clear preference for the captaincy but I think she leans to McDavid. I'm with her. If ON is interested Betty would be willing to share her thoughts at a fair price. 1 can of tuna per column.

#66 This.Is.NHL
July 28 2016, 03:39PM

😁😁😁😁😁

#68 Zamboni Driver
July 28 2016, 04:23PM

@Cat Silverman

Step 1 - "read" a headline...or part of it.

Step 2 - do not bother to read anything

Step 3 - Lose your marbles.

Step 4 - Post a reply that almost certainly confuses there/their/they're

Step 5 - Sit back with smug pleasure with yourself

Step 6 - Never, under any circumstances investigate the concepts of "humour" or "irony".

Step 7 - Yell upstairs and ask Mom what's for dinner.

#69 jeanshorts
July 28 2016, 04:32PM

Nice number of comments.

#70 Roberto
July 28 2016, 04:57PM
Cat Silverman wrote:

I never joke! The internet is a place for no fun ever. #NoFunOntheInternet

then HOW DARE YOU! haha, Also, Nuge looks like he should be playing Bantam in #5

#71 I am Batman
July 28 2016, 05:45PM

Another good reason is how he is lazy, gives up on the back check on the fore check, doesn't go to the boards, doesn't stand up for his team mates and he is less than stellar on a 29th place team.

All amazing reasons I'm sure. Eberle on waivers makes more sense that Eberle with a C. He could not lead a thirsty camel to the Saskatchewan river.

Lucic needs to be the Captain. So at least all you crazy cheer leaders lose your poop and try to set Rexall on fire.

#72 madjam
July 28 2016, 06:51PM
I am Batman wrote:

Actually , have heard several times he is the hardest working Oiler player . He leads most Oilers in hits , and surprisingly not bad on penalty kills , but we do not use him that much here . If he is as bad as you claim he is he would not even be playing in AHL . One has to wonder how many thirsty camels have you seen around the Saskatchewan River ?

#73 Garett14
July 29 2016, 01:21AM

Might be the worst article ever...

#74 Chainsawz
July 29 2016, 07:52AM

Finally, a blog post completely riddled with truth bombs from start to finish. Well done!

Willis has probably taken this personally and is compiling a 100000 word essay on the statistical consequences of an Eberle captaincy. In truth, his analysis will show it will be for the betterment of the team but there will be a couple items to cherry pick on the negative on which for him to harp. Henderson will agree whole heartily.

#75 Trainreck Is Over??
July 29 2016, 08:30AM
madjam wrote:

Hardest working? Leads the team in hits? Thought this article was about Jordan Eberle.