Khaira earns callup

Zach Laing
January 11 2017 01:10PM

This morning, the Oilers recalled Jujhar Khaira and reassigned Anton Lander to the Bakersfield Condors.

Khaira has had a solid season so far with the Condors, posting an 8-10-18 spread in 24 games this season. Scoring .75 PPG this season, Khaira is on pace for his highest PPG pace since he scored 44 points in 59 games with the Everett Silvertips in 2013-2014.

The big bodied center played in 15 games last season, and showed very well. Using a combination of size and speed, he was an effective fourth line player and got on the scoresheet with two assists. He is still looking for his first NHL goal.

Khaira’s career path at the amateur level was odd and I’ve always wondered how much he was hurt by bouncing around so much in his formative years. He was a smart pick out of the BCHL, one of the few Oilers selections out of that league in recent years who combined good offensive production (79 points in 54 games) with legitimate upside (as an August birthday, he wasn’t even 18 when Edmonton drafted him). He didn’t get to stay there long, though, going to Michigan Tech (NCAA) the next season and then to Everett (WHL) the year after that. What Khaira has had in his favour all down the line, though, is age. He’s only just 22 now, and a 6’3”, 214-pound 22-year-old who can anchor a scoring line in the minors is nicely on-track for an NHL career. Older prospects that can’t score have much less time to figure things out. - Jonathan Willis, OilersNation - November 21, 2016.

The Oilers decision to send Anton Lander back to the minors is likely a wise one. Since his latest recall, Lander has played in four games where he potted one assist while averaging 6:57 TOI/Gm. Lander, who has been known for his faceoff abilities, won only 33% of the six draws he took in those games.

Lander has long been able to produce in the minors and has scored 129 points in 149 AHL games. This season alone he has scored 21 points in 13 games with the Bakersfield Condors. His inability to produce much at the NHL level means that there is a possibility that his chance with the Edmonton Oilers could be done.

Having Lander in the AHL is clearly not a bad thing as he is able to produce very well down there.

The latest from Laing:

544817d2570f5e5da8ead9e3167d2018
Zach is the Nation Network's News Director. .
#1 YoketheJoker
January 11 2017, 01:58PM

I like the idea of bringing up Khaira, but I wonder if the move has less to do with Lander not producing and more to do with finding a center for Lucic. If I recall correctly, Looch and Khaira play a similar game. Big, physical and both love to cycle the puck. Add Kassian and that's an enormous line with a few screws loose.

#2 Natejax97
January 11 2017, 01:48PM

Kassian and Khaira...just calling it now.

SHAKE AND BAKE!!

#3 percy
January 11 2017, 01:37PM

If they don't protect Maroon they are fools. I would protect Maroon over Ebs any day. Nice to see JK again. Lander must feel like a yo yo. Lander would probably be a good fit on some other teams, but the chemistry with the oilers isn't there. I wish him luck,i like the guy.I think PC should bundle him up in a trade, we owe it to him to let him to try and succeed on another team.

#4 Burns14
January 11 2017, 02:05PM
YoketheJoker wrote:

Oh man, my mind couldn't imagine a Khaira, Lucic, Kassian line. That would be fun to watch and terrible to play against.

#5 WhoreableGuy
January 11 2017, 02:37PM

Jujhar Hockey™ > Johnny Hockey

#6 Natejax97
January 11 2017, 01:47PM

Solid move! Hope JK Smashes, Bangs and scores.

He would look good with Kassian on a line.

What about the backup goalie...sheesh the suspense is killing me!!!

#7 dolenator
January 11 2017, 01:32PM

TM really has it out for lander. I find it interesting the pk is better when he is on it. Don't get me wrong I am happy jk gets a shot but lander had made the most of the 6 min a night

#8 Druds
January 11 2017, 01:38PM
dolenator wrote:

Lander has been given lots of time to show up and it just has not happened...He needs to move on

#9 Druds
January 11 2017, 01:37PM

Landers water has reached its level and its the AHL...No shame in that lots of good players in the AHL cannot translate to the show. Nice to give JK a shot.

#10 Spydyr
January 11 2017, 01:38PM

Good call, Lander already has his goal for the year.

#11 Seanaconda
January 11 2017, 01:51PM
Druds wrote:

Just keep him till Nelson becomes a headcoach somewhere. He's fine on a two way playing in the ahl too because he kills it there. Good vet to have on the farm.

#12 Natejax97
January 11 2017, 01:52PM
Druds wrote:

It is nice to have depth that allows Lander to come up and down as required. No shame in his game is right, and I think he can be a big help for young Jesse in the minors.

I am surprised it took this long for JK to get a look.

#13 TeddyTurnbuckle
January 11 2017, 02:37PM

Long over due for JJ to come up. I would protect Maroon over Ebs and Nuge.

#14 Jay (not J)
January 11 2017, 01:31PM

So, can he play goal too?

Seriously though, glad he's up. Lander's hands left at least one goal on the ice last night that just about anyone else (maybe JK?) would have buried.

#15 nuge2drai
January 11 2017, 04:25PM

Jujhar is a beast.

Been waiting all season to see him in the bigs.

This kid can do it all... should be a great fit.

Bring up LB next and we are ready for the second half. Lets go Oilers!

#16 T Ambrosini
January 11 2017, 02:25PM

Nice to see JK get his opportunity to contribute. I think he'll fill the niche that Pitlick vacated when he got injured.

Abrasive? Check. Energetic? Check. Able to find the back of the net once in a while? Check.

As others have stated, there is no shame in being a dominant player in the AHL. Lander is apparently one of those guys. I had hoped he would return to the level of play he showed under Todd Nelson's brief tenure but that hasn't been the case.

#17 nrXic
January 11 2017, 02:28PM

Jujhar Hockey™ started strong last year and then petered out, but maybe that had to do with some of the minutes he was getting (like when he was promoted to the top line for a bit there).

I'm looking forward to it. A guy with some meanness to him doesn't hurt when you're playing divisional rivals. Just in case it's needed.

#18 Natejax97
January 11 2017, 01:50PM
Druds wrote:

And this has what to do with this subject besides nothing...read the blog before you comment.

sorry I did not see the edit you added now it makes sense

Easy bud. Allowed opinions and Lander is noted in this post.

Sometimes need to say something, but the right article to get your thoughts out there is not available.

#19 Druds
January 11 2017, 02:15PM
percy wrote:

Fall on your head please.

hey you edited your response its all good...peace brother

#20 Druds
January 11 2017, 01:39PM
percy wrote:

sorry I did not see the edit you added now it makes sense

#21 toprightcorner
January 11 2017, 07:23PM

This move is less about Khaira earning a call up and more about putting Lander and his 2 pt/g beside JP in the AHL. Lander is a prolific AHL scorer and who better to build JP's offensive confidence than him.

JP will score over a pt per game next to Lander in the AHL.

#22 percy
January 11 2017, 01:51PM
Druds wrote:

sorry I did not see the edit you added now it makes sense

Fall on your head please.

#23 percy
January 11 2017, 02:40PM
Druds wrote:

hey you edited your response its all good...peace brother

PEACE, sorry just on a rant lol. HAPPY NEW YEAR Druds

#24 McWeber
January 11 2017, 06:29PM

I still firmly believe that Lander can be a 2/3rd line center in the NHL.....if Todd Nelson gets the Head Coach job for Las Vegas.

#25 Oiler Al
January 11 2017, 02:13PM
Burns14 wrote:

Ya, nice 4th line.

#26 Jakethesnail
January 12 2017, 12:56AM
Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89 wrote:

I'm willing to bet they go with Ralphy Kruges

You think Krueger is going to give up his position with his soccer club??$$$$$$$ I don't think so.

#27 Druds
January 11 2017, 03:23PM
percy wrote:

PEACE, sorry just on a rant lol. HAPPY NEW YEAR Druds

Thanks Percy! the same back to you! we are all passionate Oiler fans which is never a negative in my book.

#28 MessyEH!
January 11 2017, 09:23PM
Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89 wrote:

I'm willing to bet they go with Ralphy Kruges

I think RK is doing very well for himself right where he is.

#29 OilCan2
January 11 2017, 11:44PM

Welcome back JJ. I hope he and Sleps make an impact.

#30 Trainreck Is Over??
January 11 2017, 02:18PM
Druds wrote:

Lander was ready when he was 19. Could this have anything to do with improper development? Signed Mac-T.

#31 Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89
January 11 2017, 08:35PM
Seanaconda wrote:

I think Detroit will probably let their coach go when they fail to make playoffs for the first time in forever

They would be wise to promote Nelson to the big club and I could see lander flourishing

#32 Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89
January 11 2017, 08:36PM

@McWeber

I'm willing to bet they go with Ralphy Kruges

#33 Oil & Gas Hockey
January 12 2017, 11:08AM

The team now has 6-7 legitimate fighters with at least one being on the ice at all times in all scenarios:

Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Hendricks, Khaira, Benning, Nurse (IR)

Opposing players need to think twice about messing with the Oilers.

#34 VC Glaswegian
January 12 2017, 04:33AM

We and I, as oiler fans are truly focused on all now and future games. Hold on tight, enjoy the ride, Anton we will see you again,my son. Looks so bright, gotta wear sunnys mate! GivrBigRvrGoBigOil!!!!