GDB 39.0 Wrap Up: Witch! Witch!

baggedmilk
January 03 2017 07:57PM

AMATravelBanner

Until proven otherwise I will believe that the Blue Jackets are all witches. The streak lives. Final Score: 3-1 Columbus

I know I said this the last time these two teams met but when the hell did Columbus get good? How did this happen? Someone explain it to me. They were a lottery team last year and now they've turned the ship around to the point where they have only five regulation losses on the year? C'mon. I'm not buying it. Until someone can absolutely prove to me that there hasn't been some witchcraft or deal with the devil that resulted in the Columbus Blue Jackets acquiring some kind of turbo button that no one else has access to. It's either that or we have to start looking the possibility of whether or not they're doing something like filling the opposition's dressing room with a sleep-inducing gas of some kind. I'm not saying that's happening, but I've had no one tell me that it's not happening.

With the way this game started, I really didn't think the Oilers were going to have much chance of ending Columbus' winning streak and (obviously) my hunch wasn't wrong. The Blue Jackets grossly outplayed the Oilers in the first period, and if it hadn't been for Cam Talbot's general brick-wallness then this game would have gotten out of hand in a hurry. Frankly, Dadbot was one of the few players to show up for the actual start of this hockey game and was likely the only reason that the Oilers were able to stay in it as long as they did. While the Oilers did improve as the game went on they really weren't able to generate much in response to the home side's continued waves of pressure. CBJ spat hot fire for forty minutes and the Oilers had their goaltender to thank for keeping the deficit to one goal and giving his team a chance in the third.

Going into the third the need for the Oilers to play better was obvious, but they also needed to find a way to stay out of the penalty box. The Jackets have the #1 ranked power play and after seeing them torch the Oilers for two power play goals it was pretty obvious as to why that's the case. That wasn't meant to put blame only on the PK team, Edmonton's special teams were a hot mess on both sides of the coin. Neither the power play nor the penalty kill was very good for the Oilers and Columbus won the special teams battle outright. As it turns out, the two CBJ goals with the man advantage were the difference in tonight's game and were the case and point for the importance of a strong power play. In the end, the Oilers' struggles on special teams was only a drip in the bucket of disappointment that was this highly anticipated matchup.

Edmonton didn't put up much of a fight and the Blue Jackets' winning streak was never really in doubt. Subpar effort. Expected result.

For the first time in 2017 - we wrap.

THE BRIGHT SIDE

Dinosours

• Oscar Klefbom scored a big goal to tie the game up at one midway through the second period. The Blue Jackets were all over the puck before Oscar Klefbom followed up on the play and fired a puck home from the slot for his 6th goal of the season.
  • Cam Talbot was easily the best Oiler tonight, and he gave his team a chance to win even though they probably didn't deserve it. Dadbot was easily the busier of the two goalies and had it not been for him the Oilers would have needed a touchdown to get back into it. Talbot finished the night with 32 saves and a .914 save% on a night when he didn't get much help.
  • Connor McDavid as an Oiler is just as wonderful in 2017 as he was in 2016. Mmmm Connor.
  • This game was feisty early on and I liked it. The first period had a few big hits and all that did was stir up the angries. I still don't know how to react when I see the Oilers mucking it up after the whistle because it's been so long since that's been a thing that happens.
  • In the second period, Pat Maroon flew into the corner and crushed Brandon Dubinsky. To his credit, Dubinsky got up and got into Maroon's and the two fellas started chuckin' em'. As always, you can check out this fight and all of Maroon's fights on his fight page over at HockeyFights.com.
  • The Oilers won 54% of the faceoffs tonight. (Letestu 75%, Nuge 65%, Hendricks 60%, Draisaitl 44%, McDavid 33 %)
  • The game ended early enough that we don't have to go to bed angry.

THE FACE PALMERS

CandyCorn

• Not a good start to this hockey game. The Blue Jackets ran the show for extended periods and the Oilers needed Cam Talbot to bail them out on too many occasions.
  • Unlucky bounce on the Columbus power play goal credited to Nick Foligno. The puck took a friendly bounce off of both Russell and Sekera and wound up in the net, giving the Jackets an early lead. Unlucky way to get down to a hot team. Then again, hot teams always seem to get those bounces, don't they?
  • William Karlsson's goal (another power play goal) came as a result of the Jackets working harder than the Oilers on the boards, and capitalizing on that extra zone time. The Oilers had a chance to clear but they couldn't get the puck out of zone and the Jackets made them pay for it.
  • Absolutely horrible giveaway by Benoit Pouliot on the Jackets' third goal of the night. He had the puck on the boards, he had time, and he passed the puck absolutely no one in particular and Foligno walked in alone and scored. Brutal. I was actually surprised that McLellan continued playing Pouliot after that one.
  • Two power play goals for the Jackets tonight on four chances. You could see how much confidence they have with the man advantage by the way they always seemed to be in the right position and their passes were always on point.
  • The special teams sucked in general with the power play going 0/3 and the penalty kill allowing two goals on four chances.
  • Puljujarvi took a bad penalty that led to CBJ's first goal of the night. Jesse didn't have control of his stick and he got himself tied up with a Blue Jacket resulting in a holding penalty for his efforts. He needs to be better, and that fact is magnified considering his general lack of scoring. Why 👏 is 👏 Puljujarvi 👏  still 👏 here? 👏
  • The Oilers were horrible at the blue lines throughout the first forty minutes of play. They either gave up the puck as they were trying to leave their own end, or as they were trying to enter the attacking zone, and the Jackets didn't need their help finding the puck.
  • The Oilers were outhit 17-10 despite Columbus always having the puck. How does that work?
  • I will not complain about the reffing. I will not complain about the reffing. I will not complain about the reffing. I will not complain about the reffing. I will not...
  • Outshot 35-22 and I was surprised the Oilers got to 22.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD

TIME TEAM DETAILS SCORE
12:32 Columbus PPG - Cam Atkinson (18) ASST: Zach Werenski (19), Alexander Wennberg (26) 0-1

2ND PERIOD

TIME TEAM DETAILS SCORE
05:39 Edmonton Oscar Klefbom (6) ASST: Patrick Maroon (7), Jordan Eberle (18) 1-1
10:43 Columbus PPG - William Karlsson (6) ASST: Brandon Saad (19), Seth Jones (10) 1-2

3RD PERIOD

TIME TEAM DETAILS SCORE
02:45 Columbus Nick Foligno (13) 1-3

BEST OF THE TWEETS

Talk to me, Twitter. Tweet at @OilersNation and @jsbmbaggedmilk for your chance to land in the Best of the Tweets.

GET AWAY WITH AMA TRAVEL

Beach-Vacations-logo

Craving sun, sand, and surf? Book your beach vacation with AMA Travel this winter before space runs out! All-inclusive packages from under $1,000. View Beach Vacation Packages

94ea28cbbd0f9fe4153692bb3e38b40c
Tyrant at @OilersNation - Resident Jackass - Poor vessel for carrying milk. Follow me on twitter (@jsbmbaggedmilk) - Instagram (@himynameisbaggedmilk) or email me at baggedmilk@oilersnation.com.
#51 Momay&Phudian
January 04 2017, 12:11AM

The Oilers ... aka the black hole that sucks all the talent and skill out of any player that is so unfortunate to don the orange and blue.

#52 Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89
January 04 2017, 12:11AM
OilersGM wrote:

Every one was crowning Chiarelli the king but IMO he is the most overrated GM in the game. Watch he will make this team worse by trading RNH and Eberle next to try and fix one spot but won't realize his only making it worse. You build around your core players, you don't trade them away. Look at any successful team and you will see this it's not rocket science. The problem is from the top, every one thinks they are the smartest person in the room when it's quite obvious they are all bunch of morons chasing their tale.

Kekäläinen actually did it right when he traded a core piece in Ryan Johansen, a top line center with size who puts up close to a point per game

Kek's actually got equal value when he traded him for Seth Jones

just look at all of his trade history that turned Columbus into what it is

also, trading a bunch of spare parts to a cap strapped Chicago for Brandon Saad...

That's the kind of GM I want

#53 Oilersrule99
January 04 2017, 12:13AM

The Columbus blue jackets seem to be the antithesis of the Edmonton oilers. They are not highly skilled but find ways to win games playing as a team, detail oriented, very good puck management, very few puck watching collapses, seem to all no their roles and most importantly seem to be able to handle success playing a very focused game without getting overwhelmed with the emotion of the game

How many times have the oilers collapses under pressure this year,how many games have they played to the intensity of the other team unable to dictate their own pace , how many shifts have they looked lost playing as individuals,how many games have they played hard and deserved a better fate if they stayed focused.

#54 hockey1099
January 04 2017, 12:23AM
Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89 wrote:

Kek's actually got equal value when he traded him for Seth Jones

just look at all of his trade history that turned Columbus into what it is

That's the kind of GM I want

In your world artem anisimov is spare parts? He has 16 goals and 29 points this year. I think that's a trade that's working out for both teams at the moment.

#55 Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89
January 04 2017, 12:29AM
hockey1099 wrote:

He was a 7 goal scorer at the time, and was traded for a young 30 goal scorer. Yeah I consider him spare parts.

Anisimov is having a good year right now, but it's unsustainable

In your world would you seriously rather have Anisimov over Saad...

#56 Pouzar99
January 04 2017, 01:07AM

The boys were really awful. Way too many passengers. I am sure Chiarelli is identifying those who will not be returning. After so many gave so little in back-to-back games, what can TM do to get them to play hard in Boston? I thought we were past this crap.

#57 David S
January 04 2017, 01:21AM
nrXic wrote:

There's a certain level of intensity in this CBJ team too. We saw it a couple of weeks ago so it's no anomaly.

They're playing to win every shift, and maybe I'm going too far with this but they seem to be playing a "playoff" game with everyone being accountable and giving it everything.

Even if that's going too far, I think it's safe to say that they're building good habits and when it comes to playoffs it won't be hard for them to play at the intensity they need to.

So while I might be in the minority here I'm happy for CBJ and I gotta give them props. I hope the Oilers can play with the same level of intensity down to each and every man on the roster.

I'll take this L if it means the Oilers learning a lesson in how they need to play if they want similar levels of success. Though I've hoped this in past seasons and maybe it's a fool's dream.

I'm finding myself say "Damn I miss Pitlick" after every game nowadays, today being no exception.

Great comment bud!

#58 elliotsmom
January 04 2017, 01:25AM

Hate to be pessimistic, but complacency is going to knock us out of a playoff spot. I'm not sure the Oilers will have the mental strength to be able to fight their way back in if they fall out. I can't understand why they are not showing up playing to win every time they're on the ice. No heart, no passion, no fight, no drive, half assed passes, not scoring.......They need to play their arses off every game like every other team does. They can't just pick and choose when to put in an effort, and when not to. Nothing gets easier as we head toward the second half of the season.

#59 OilersGM
January 04 2017, 01:48AM
elliotsmom wrote:

So true, that's why I think TM is overrated. The proof is in the putting. When he was in Jose the team couldn't get over the top, he get the team to win when it matters the most, he doesn't press all the right buttons. San Jose let him go and look what they did.

Chiarelli is in the same boat as his coach. I understand you have to get bigger but you have to do it with skill not just bunch of big players that can't play and his not done screwing this team it wil only get worse, his always a step behind.

#60 Devolution
January 04 2017, 02:19AM
Towersofdub wrote:

Beat by a better team...with Sam Gagner

It would be interesting to see if a competitive team could be built from players that weren't good enough for this team. Start with Hall, Dubnyk, Gagner, Schultz, Cogliano, Petry... who else was cast off because they were the problem? Players that are still in the league and producing.

#61 a lg dubl dubl
January 04 2017, 04:52AM

I'm not putting the game all on Pouliot, but his sweet pass to Folingo was the proverbial nail in the coffin. If TMac/PC doesn't waive Pouliot for the purpose of assignment, and he plays against Boston, then I'll start questioning the powers that be. If Fayne can be sent down, so can 67.

I'd rather have JP take BPs spot any day.

#62 Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89
January 04 2017, 06:13AM
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

I'd rather have JP take BPs spot any day.

Bp is lw Jp is rw

#63 GK1980
January 04 2017, 06:14AM
Oiler Al wrote:

Oilers need some snipers!

Tough game and it's obvious the Oilers are good this year despite last nights effort. As per the comments, the oilers seem to have plateaued. They seem to be in a steady state of mediocrity right now. What can this team do to get to that next step and really solidify a playoff spot?

The team on some occasions does not instill confidence in me yet. They can consistently hit and usually outshoot the opposition this year but they need more offence I think, more then D in my opinion.

#64 MessyEH!
January 04 2017, 06:28AM

@24% body fat

I think you need to review that list and look at player usage. Most of that list have been sent to minors or spent extended periods in the press box over the last two years.

I mean the exception is Gustavsson. That guy dressed every game this year.

#65 Anton CP
January 04 2017, 07:34AM
Oilersrule99 wrote:

The reason for Jackets are highly efficient is because of the coach(yeah, Tort...) managed the team with great balance. Look at who's on their 4th line: Hartnell and Gagner. Basically that Jackets get 50 points (59 total) out of those two from 4th line. 30 points total from 3rd line, 61 points from 2nd, and 100 points from top line. Their first pairing is focus on attack and with Werenski and Jones that they have 42 points and second pairing is the complete shutdown with combine of +45. Not a single player on the entire Jackets roster played for more than 5 games has a minus (3 players with 5 or less has -1 each). Jackets reminds me the late 90~early 2000 Devils: team with great goaltending, solid and mobile defense with wide systematic offense.

Team with less talents is easier to build a system around. They have less of personal egos but more with prides. They move the puck so well that no other team has 3 forwards with 20 or more assists like they do. It is sort of amazing about how they are able to move the puck around to perfection, and that helps with their league best PP because they are always able to find an open player to shoot.

#66 madjam
January 04 2017, 08:23AM

Jackets solidly had the better offensive line and defensive line thru out entire game , controlling the pace , style and direction of game . When your dominated in both areas you usually on the losing end of a game . Poor passing , team play and lack of flow to Oilers game also victimized . Like in football , quarterback (Connor) can only do so much when his team is dominated on offensive and defensive line play . The better team won last night . Our Oilers are still questionably a playoff team in the makings this year .

#67 Will
January 04 2017, 08:36AM

Didn't watch the game. Sounds pretty similar to the last time they played the Jackets. But to the Oilers' credit, the Jackets are one of the few if only teams to really run the Oilers' show this year.

I also want to know how they got so good. Torts, trading their number one centre, not drafting Puljujarvi. Really they lucked into a number one C, and a top pair left side D. Personally I think it's good to see because outside of Seth Jones, none of the players on that team are really unattainable or tough to find. They are proving hockey is a team game, and if the team buys in, like every guy on every night, then it's possible to win.

Or as Brad Goodman says, "there's no trick to it, it's just a simple trick."

#68 S cottV
January 04 2017, 08:50AM
madjam wrote:

I've been trying to preach our need to move in a direction, similar to what has happened in Columbus.

The need to implement and execute more advanced and disciplined team play. To play a stable game.

It's not just effort - it's the systems of play and the influence from the Coach to pull it all together - to influence players to buy in.

Team play is a lot more than saying ok guys - lets play like a team and put some effort into it.

I don't think McL is enough of a believer in winning through systems - as a team. He caters to the star factor too much. There is a balance in there and I don't like where McL sits on the teeter totter.

It's like DeBoer taking over in San Jose. Bring some Devils systems dna into the equation and you have a team - winning more as a team.

How long does McL get away with this guy or that guy or those guys didn't show up?

He's not showing up with enough substance and influence to execute, something that resembles what you see happening in Columbus and San Jose.

#69 Anton CP
January 04 2017, 09:15AM
S cottV wrote:

It is something interesting, the way that Chiarelli builds this team seems to contrast the way McLellan coaches this team. Chiarelli is looking for more balance plays by bring in players that lost in shuffling from other teams meanwhile that McLellan has players shifted up and down the line without consistency, even as good as McDavid that have him logging 21 mins of ice time is way too much.

#70 S cottV
January 04 2017, 09:32AM
Anton CP wrote:

Been seeing and saying similar things.

I don't mind what PC has done to date.

I just hope that PC is mad as hell about how McL has managed the change process within PC's vision.

Get bigger - stronger - harder to play against, reduce dependence on rush - improve cycling, puck protection, use of the points, get more o zone possession, reduce GA's through dedicated team d systems and effort, improve game management, win more as a team - are all good things that I think PC wants. Things kind of like Torts has going in Columbus. I mean you can see it? Can't you?

I see minor movement toward some of the above, through McL's leadership and influence. I don't even see a lot of effective influence, as it relates to under performing players. But - I believe that McL needs to give them some better mouse traps to operate with, to get comfortable with, to believe in and to get excited about.

Influence.

Too little team substance. Like I kinda said yesterday - Babcock is better. And - so is DeBoer, Torts, and several other NHL Coaches that operate and implement stable team systems of play.

#71 camdog
January 04 2017, 09:43AM

I missed the game so I can't go there.

But I do find it interesting how going into the season most people had Torts as the worst coach in the entire league, especially after that debacle at the World Cup. Now some people have him as god's gift to coaching.

Personally I have always respected his coaching abilities, that said I haven't changed my perspective on his coaching abilities because of his last 15 games...

#72 dsanchez1973
January 04 2017, 10:00AM

Not sure how many times McLellan can throw his players under the bus and say "X wasn't ready" or "Y wasn't good enough for us tonight". At some point, you have to look at the coach and ask how he turned Eberle into a 10 goal scorer, Nuge into a 3rd line centre, Pouliot into a waiver candidate - these are all players who have had success in the NHL.

I will miss Nuge and Eberle when they're gone, replaced by inferior players.

#73 percy
January 04 2017, 10:09AM
Anton CP wrote:

Couldn't agree more. What a mess. This is complicated. Reminds me of a triple A team playing an A team. Almost like they are lost out there. JP and DC down and BP and JE out.

#74 Cain
January 04 2017, 10:26AM
dsanchez1973 wrote:

I will miss Nuge and Eberle when they're gone, replaced by inferior players.

Define success. Points, yes. Success? Not even close.

Not one of the players you mentioned has shown any interest in playing hard this season.

#75 btrain
January 04 2017, 10:28AM

CBJ are defying all odds and its not natural. Obviously when teams show up with a C level effort like the Oil, its going to help them out, but how are they this good! If I am drafting a team of any players I want, I am not sure a CBJ even cracks the line up or is even on my call up list. Yet they are approaching history with their winning streak! It is mind bottling! Thank the heavens they are in the Eastern Conference and their sudden emergence doesn't impact the Oilers playoff hopes in a significant way.

#76 Will
January 04 2017, 10:37AM
Cain wrote:

Define success. Points, yes. Success? Not even close.

I agree, I think a big issue with these guys is the optics. When they were playing on a bad team, with poor systems, they looked good. Now that they are playing on a good team with responsible systems, they are looking pretty damn lazy out there and undisciplined out there.

Nuge, has looked better playing with Drai and I do think some of the problem is McLellan blends his lines so damn much, not allowing for much chemistry to generate, even when the lines are doing well and the team is winning. We all remember when Shlep and Pitlick were pulled out because McLellan wanted to get Hendricks and Puljujarvi 'going'. So yes, some blame does fall to the coach on for some reason having too many players and thinking they all need to 'get going'.

Considering Nuge hasn't been to liable defensively, I'm having a hard time pinning losses on him.

Eberle, however, looks like he already has one foot out the door. He cannot make a controlled zone entry, but he doesn't chip and chase, nor move the puck effectively enough, unless it's to McDavid. Every single game I watch, if the puck is on his stick, defenders close his gap so fast, and just rub him off the puck. He's not out pacing them, he's certainly not out working them, and he's not finishing enough of McDavid's dishes.

Pouliot, has been terrible. Undisciplined, not learning from mistakes, looks sour, just not helping. Sadly the play of players the team needs to trade is not helping their value.

#77 hockey1099
January 04 2017, 11:28AM
Finnish Oiler fan in Edmonton89 wrote:

Anisimov is having a good year right now, but it's unsustainable

In your world would you seriously rather have Anisimov over Saad...

Saad's best year with Chicago was 23 goals. Anisimov's best year was 22 pre trade. Saad didn't score 30 until he went to the jackets, both might get there this year. Again this trade worked for both teams. Anisimov is definitely not spare parts in my world.

#78 Spoils
January 04 2017, 11:32AM

the pouliot give-away falls (in my own imagination) - with the Oilers of old.

The new Oilers don't make those mistakes. I believe Benoit can turn the corner- like Nuge and Ebs and join a healthy constellation in the new McDavid universe...
i can't handle all the Gagners, Petrys, Dubnyks, Schultz (+24, .63 PPG)...

will Yak bang out 20pts in the Blues cup run this year?

WE NEED TO GET VALUE FOR THE ASSETS WE MOVE

#79 Momay&Phudian
January 04 2017, 11:34AM
Momay&Phudian wrote:

Once players escape the black hole they typically flourish on other teams because of better coaching and better development.

#80 madjam
January 04 2017, 11:38AM

Veterans on team must be frustrated by being benched and put on different lines every time they make a mistake . Same goes for many newbies like Jesse , etc.. Our makeup of veterans is not of a high value when it comes to truculence and fighting for the puck , and that has not changed much over last two years , but offensive output of them has been in a nosedive playing the Chia and TM system of play . Likewise , I find it curious and frustrating how a real talent like Jesse has produced far less than his Finnish teammates Aho and Laine . Something is amiss here as to why he is looking so bad . Maybe a more in depth hybrid system might be in order for many games , to take more advantage of our skill level .

I know i'd be playing on pins and needles if I was demoted and /or benched for every mistake I did/might have made . Overall player strength and depth we are still not very high , or as high as we'd like to be . Thus many games we still struggle mightily for points . Team still has little consistent flow to their game .

Defensively we are still in bottom one third of league with no real quarterback on back end especially to help power play and transition game .

#81 slats-west
January 04 2017, 12:34PM

A few thoughts......

- there is a lot comments about intensity after this game and some would argue that we have had this for the last 5-7 years. A team like CBJ really amplifies this argument and a few examples of body language really say a lot: >>> eg pregame skate many Oilers skate upright (even Connor is doing this now!!!) in warmup with missed passes were common and their thought process seems to be "stay loose" vs. the CBJ are skate in a technically correct low power position, they constantly work on skills, focus is do things at low speed but everything has precision and focus

>>> PP goal #2 Pouliot comes to the point like a limp noodle, standing perfectly upright, waives his stick, allows for easy cross ice pass ... goal. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't PK players have to play twice as hard as the PPplayers?

>>Pouliot is either throwing games or wants so bad to leave Edm his play has reached new low depths as evidenced by that 3rd period pass on the tape to CBJ ..... on that play he wascompletely unpressured, at the beginning of a shift and he had only 3 other options available.... sorry but your next game will be sitting next to the 630 Ched crew...he's a tire fire!!!! Trade or exorcism not sure which is next.

Overall - what to do with this Team re: intensity? They are constantly out worked. Does someone need to take away their video games? Invoke a curfew? Bag skate? Whatever it is it's not the Coach. It's not. Chia will make some moves and we will cry when we get low picks for Poulitot but its better than losing like this.... When will someone step up in the dressing room? When will guys get called out? ...When?

#82 OriginalPouzar
January 04 2017, 01:47PM
Total Points wrote:

The top line should be McDavid and Drai and some one else.

The rest of the lines I dont care about.

The Oilers have a scoring problem and need to have at least one scoring line.

Best chance is to put McD and Drai toegther and the other lines can a become non factors.

Power play need to score at least one per game.

The Oilers are 9th in the NHL and 2nd in the Western Conference in goals scored.

#83 S cottV
January 04 2017, 01:59PM
slats-west wrote:

A few thoughts......

Ultimately - it is the Coach.

The Coach has to influence. The spectrum of influence spans to - those he chooses to lead in the room. If they fail to influence, then it falls back on the Coach.

Influence involves many things.

Part is belief in what you are doing and or how you are doing things. Like systems. It's up to the Coach to develop the systems, sell the systems, implement the systems, and get the systems executed. Done properly - the players see the benefits and embrace the systems with enthusiasm. Great influence.

If a player or players balk at the systems or fall off the systems, then yeah - then maybe you have to kick some @ss. Different influence but influence if it corrects the problem.

I really do question McL's ability to influence and certainly question his lack of interest or ability to implement effective team systematic play.

He really does throw out a lot of this guy or that guy didn't show up.

How about saying something like - apparently my ability to influence certain guys, calls into question how I am going about certain things. Its my responsibility to get players doing the right things.

Maybe the players in question, might say - geez, the Coach is being too hard on himself. I think I'll redouble my efforts, because he really isn't that bad a guy. Influence...

#84 Momay&Phudian
January 04 2017, 02:04PM
madjam wrote:

But we traded a bonafide high scoring winger for a top notch defenceman. Why do we need another one?

#85 Trainreck Is Over??
January 04 2017, 02:16PM
slats-west wrote:

A few thoughts......

I get trashed for this all the time, but the answer is as soon as they get rid of the 7 players and the management (barf) team of the prior regime. Wholesale purge or this will go on forever.

#86 Momay&Phudian
January 04 2017, 03:06PM
Momay&Phudian wrote:

Why is my comment getting trashed??? Are you sheeple really happy with the return we got for Hall, especially now that we know what Larsson is?

#87 nrXic
January 04 2017, 05:25PM

@S cottV

Krueger had an AHL roster with a few stars and got them to play hard. He's a motivator, so it's no surprise.

He also implemented a strict system, one that is designed for teams that are low on skill.

And despite playing in a tough Western Conference (exclusively), and in a rushed schedule that didn't allow for many practices, he had the team in a playoff spot at the trade deadline.

So I'm in agreement here. I like McL, but he has to bear some responsibility.

Oh, and by the way, the Oilers have changed their PP drastically, adopting the same 1-3-1 format that Nelson had success with (and that you're seeing more often across the league). So pressure on the team can result in coaching tweaks.

At the end of the day, I am pretty happy with McL despite these valid criticisms. Scoring is way up, goals against are way down, the team looks far more competitive, are able to break out the puck much better than years previous, and they'll be fighting for a playoff spot. The only time I'll go real hard on him is of the team isn't improving. Maybe the team is plateauing mid season? Perhaps.