GDB 41.0: OPEN ALL NIGHT

Lowetide
January 07 2017 11:00AM

PowerByLiquorDepot

As a bona fide Springsteen fan I had a helluva time picking today's GD song. I almost went with Darkness on the Edge of Town but wanted to go with something more hopeful (haha, Springsteen hopeful, listen to me reaching for the unlikely). I settled on a driving song, the wonderful Drive All Night. I believe this is going to be a strange game for everyone: Hall, the Oilers, you, me. How can it be anything else?

CURRENT STANDINGS

standings jan 7

The Oilers are hanging in and a late night hosing of the Calgary Flames by Vancouver (how in h-e-double-hockey-sticks did Calgary lose that game????) allows fans to dream of a five-point gap in Alberta. Nice.

SCORING LEADERS

scoring leaders jan 7

Connor McDavid cannot get clean air for love nor money, but he remains atop the NHL's scoring leaders all the same. Special player.

Nick Kypreos mentioned on the Maple Leafs broadcast last night (I believe it was then) that 97 has slowed down. Not in points, but in foot speed. Do you see that? I have not, would love your input. I have also reached out to Zdeno Chara about McDavid's foot speed, want to find out what he thinks.

Was that fast? I think that was fast.

TAYLOR HALL, ENEMY?

I can't see it, honestly. Whatever happens tonight, from Hall scoring 10 points to the Oilers rolling over the Devils, one suspects Taylor Hall's enormous popularity will survive untarnished by Oilers Nation. NJD are a building team, Hall was sent to an unfair place if the world truly turned as it should, but my bet is he makes New Jersey his own, and finds his place on the Texaco road map.

OILERS SCORING, LAST 10 GAMES

last 10 games jan 7

LINEUPS

Oilers

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.41.31 AM

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.41.50 AM

Devils

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.39.24 AM

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.40.18 AM

Lineups (subject to change) courtesy of DailyFaceoff.com

NOTES

• If Edmonton wins tonight and tomorrow night, they could be in first place Sunday night. That would mean a fantastic road trip, travelling some of the miles other Pacific Division teams stumbled on recently.
  • I am genuinely curious about how you feel about the Oilers playing Taylor Hall tonight? Sad? Happy? Hoping he scores four, or Edmonton scores 10? Let me know.
  • Are you spending time pondering the expansion draft? I think Peter Chiarelli may leave Brandon Davidson unprotected because Patrick Maroon. We wait.
  • The Devils are not a good team, but they have a lot of dangerous weaponry. The goalie Schneider was pulled last night, if he gets in this evening I expect a fantastic performance.
  • Should Todd McLellan play Jonas Gustavsson tonight?
  • Bakersfield plays their outdoor game tonight beginning at 7pm Edmonton time. It is available free online via AHL.com.
  • Connor McDavid is going to the All-Star game. Any other Oilers? I will guess Cam Talbot.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

• Taylor Hall: "I wanted to prove them wrong in more of a team sense than anything, more of, 'How much can I do to help my team? I'm obviously disappointed in that factor. We're one game below .500. We're not in a playoff spot and Edmonton is. I don't think that falls all on my shoulders, but certainly I think I have another level to get to and I think I will." Source

Do the Oilers miss Taylor Hall? Oh yes, yes they do. When we discuss Connor McDavid not being able to get clean air, the unwritten followup sentence pertains to what the other skill forwards are not doing. If a line feature RNH was scorching opponents, or the third line was overwhelming the soft parade, teams would adjust. As good as this season has been for Edmonton, the club badly needs to find a second line they can count on to pummel opponents who concentrate their heavy artillery on McDavid. That is the nut for Edmonton.

TONIGHT

GDB

(photoshop: @TomKostiuk)

We love HOME games; have Liquor Depot delivery in under an hour. Click, pick, sit back and watch the game.

GAME DAY PREDICTION: The Oilers get off to a quick start, a weird goal puts the Devils down one. NJ scores on the power play late in the period to tie the score.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION:  New Jersey scores another, and then quickly another, leading the game 3-1 entering the third period.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION:

The Oilers score two ugly goes in the third to tie it, and we are heading to overtime. Andrej Sekera makes a nifty play in extra time and Edmonton gets its second win of the road trip.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#101 Harry2
January 07 2017, 07:46PM

How the hell does NJ even have a hockey team? What a sad excuse of a game they played. How is it that after the coach and GM are gone they still play the most boring style in the entire league.

I feel sorry for Hall having tobplay for such a joke of a team.

#102 West
January 07 2017, 07:47PM

McDavid with the Eberle assist. Edit:This is a Spyder special.

#103 OldOilerFan
January 07 2017, 07:49PM
Spydyr wrote:

Eberle back checking hard. If Lander scores tonight I'm buying a lottery ticket.

I just wanted to reply as I thought that was hilarious! Good overall game boyz!

#104 passenger
January 07 2017, 07:49PM

Letestu having a helluva year. Johnny Clutch ova heeeeeeeee

#105 the dope $teez
January 07 2017, 07:51PM

Letestu channels his inner ovi to win us the game. Yeah baby!

#106 Oilerchild77
January 07 2017, 07:51PM

Still think that Hall trade was a mistake!? Complete domination from start to finish by a much more well-rounded team, thanks to moves like that. Sorry, but you know it's true.

#107 Oilersrule99
January 07 2017, 07:51PM

The oilers line combos looked really good tonight against Jersey I hop McClellan can remember those combos the next time they play them

#108 3 Little Birds
January 07 2017, 07:53PM

That was easily one of the best games I've seen in a while.

Top 2 lines are heavy and had excellent chances all night.

Keep it up boys!!

Ott, you are next.

#109 I tried it at home
January 07 2017, 07:56PM

In the space of one game, I watched Ref's call interference on obstructing McD, with penalties even, and the Oilers set up a one timer that ACTUALLY WORKED. What heresy is this???

#110 Spydyr
January 07 2017, 08:00PM
Harry2 wrote:

I feel sorry for Hall having tobplay for such a joke of a team.

Just don't call them Mickey Mouse.

#111 3 Little Birds
January 07 2017, 08:02PM

On a side note,

I love it when the bathrooms are extra dirty out at the plant, and the JANITOR is busy working.

I don't miss Arminanus at all.

#112 dougtheslug
January 07 2017, 08:02PM

So sad watching TayHall. Looked like every game he ever played for Oilers, trying to carry a crappy team against a far superior one.

(Does feel a little weird calling the Oilers a far superior team, but it was so true tonight.)

#113 madjam
January 07 2017, 08:06PM

Hard needed win against a very defensive team with excellent goal tending .

#114 Lofty
January 07 2017, 08:06PM
dougtheslug wrote:

3 more years and then he can pick his spot.

#115 camdog
January 07 2017, 08:10PM

The Oilers are in 9th place in the league and 9th in goals for/against at plus 9.

#116 hags437
January 07 2017, 08:13PM

God winning is so much better than losing. Work doesn't suck as much, wife isn't as annoying, beer tastes better and I'm not swearing as much at the TV when a carbon tax commercial comes on

#117 Boom or Bust
January 07 2017, 08:37PM

Suck it Arminius!!!

#118 Spydyr
January 07 2017, 08:57PM
Boom or Bust wrote:

Suck it Arminius!!!

Why would you even waste your time thinking of a Troll?

#119 Boom or Bust
January 07 2017, 09:26PM
Spydyr wrote:

Why would you even waste your time thinking of a Troll?

Why would you waste your time on the guy wasting his time on that troll?

#120 slats-west
January 08 2017, 12:22AM

A few thoughts on ....

- on Hall ...he's a greatly skilled LW. Think the jury is out on whether he's an Elite player. As a lleader I thought those were skills he was still developing as well and was evidenced by being passed over for the team Captain. He's still not a 200 ft player and given his experience in the league that is his biggest weakness. Was Larsson to steep a price?..we are two PTS out of first in the Pacific. ... so my vote is no it's not it was the best deal on the table and we took it.

- "MCD is slowing down"... at half speed he's the fastest in league but he's not slowing down.... ah don't think so!

#121 Harry2
January 08 2017, 12:31AM

The Oilers miss Hall? Maybe. But they would have a black hole on defence if they didnt have Larsson.