It’s apology time, Nation

Sheldon Souray haters, it’s time for you to make amends for your crimes. You remember Sheldon Souray, right? The local boy from Elk Point, Alberta who said it was an honour to be able to sign with his hometown Oilers in the summer of 2007? You also remember 2007, right? The era where the Oilers couldn’t get a hot dog vendor to agree to work at RX1 much less sign a player of any note.

Yeah, that’s right. Souray signed a rich deal in the summer of 2007 and promptly got injured — limiting his first season in copper and blue to only 26 games. The Mighty Oil missed the playoffs and Souray was blamed for virtually everything:

“Sheldon Souray is a bum.”

“Sheldon Souray is overpaid.”

“Sheldon Souray once borrowed $5 from my cousin Gary and still hasn’t paid him back.”

Yep, it was a consensus in the Nation that Kevin Lowe had rocks in his skull and basically set the Oil back 100 years by signing Souray to his overpriced contract. Oh, and that year he got 26 goals for the Canadiens? No one would even dare suggest that it was anything more than a fluke. It only happened because (insert stupid reasoning here) and you have to remember that (insert more Souray hating here).

This continued all of last season and into the summer until finally someone snapped and stood up for the guy waaaaaaay back on Sept 3.

Well, well, well.

Look who’s an overpriced bum now, Souray Haters. Look who probably owes his own cousin Gary $20 now but now ignores his calls. We’ll give you a hint. It’s all of you haters — but specifically you those of you who picked him as your goat in the star/goat draft of 2008.

JB September 2 2008, 7:40 pm.
Goat — Sheldon Souray. $5.4 million. Ugh. Desperation signings always hurt the most.

jayoilfan September 3 2008, 8:42 am.
Not so star — Sheldon Souray, way too overpaid and a total bandage case for what he brings. Lucky if he hits 40 games.

Matt September 3 2008, 9:36 pm.
Goat goes to Souray, even though I really like the guy.

Gord September 2 2008, 11:03 am.
(I’ll pick) my goat last year as well — Sheldon Souray. It’s easy to see how many mistakes this overpaid clown makes when you are looking closely for them. You can almost always put the blame squarely on him for the goal that just went in against the Mighty Oil.

My my, Souray Haters. How very stupid of all of you. Blame paste needs to be smeared on the faces of everyone who got involved — including our very own Professor Willis who got in on the action:

Jonathan Willis September 3 2008, 1:20 pm.
I’ve talked about Souray at some length earlier this summer he isn’t an all-star powerplay option.

Well, seeing how much you all love “numbers” and “reading” let’s all have a look at Souray’s stats for the year to date — and prorated for the season:

2008–09: 25 GP, 8 G, 13 A, 21 PTS
Prorated 08–09: 81 GP, 26 G, 42 A, 68 PTS

Oh and you can compare it to the one-in-an-overpaid-lifetime season that he had in Montreal if you like:

Career Season
2006–07: 81 GP, 26 G, 38 A, 64 PTS

What’s that noise? Is it thousands of Souray haters shutting their mouths in unison? It must be.

Here we are, three months and six days after defending Souray, saying that not only is Souray bringing the heat, but he also deserves to be in the All-Star Game. Ordinarily we don’t vote — for the All Star Game, for American Idol, for Canadian Idol or in any political elections. But we are going to vote for this — and so should all of us.

Here is how he stands now. 6th place in voting. Ahead of CFP – believe that – but trailing the likes of Campbell and Rafalski. Does that seem right to you? There is only one thing we can do to make up for our early shabby treatment of Big Sexy.

Go vote. Often. Here. We voted four times this morning just to kick things off.

— This message has been brought to you by the VOTES Committee – Vote Often To Elect Souray.

• Interesting dynamic there. I can picture those two having drinks with Dave Nonis, where Burke and Wilson verbally rape every player on their roster, other GMs and the Tornoto media while Nonis quietly sips on a virgin daquiri and repeatedly checks his watch, wishing he could get the hell out of the bar. Ah, to be part of the 700 person Leafs management…
    @ jeanshorts:

• misfit wrote:

Especially when he’s had as many good seasons in Edmonton as bad

That's kind of like saying, Steve Stamkos is a complete bust because he's had more mediocre seasons in Tampa than good ones.
    Maybe I've had too many breakfast rums, but didn't we just sign Big Sexy last season?

• Travis Dakin

misfit wrote:

I’ve been against the Souray signing from the start, but he’s definately earning his paycheck this year.
    If he keeps it up the rest of the way, maybe I’ll officially change my tune, but for a guy who’s won the green jacket on his team on a regular basis despite only playing against middling opposition, forgive me if I’m not yet ready to declair it a great signing. Especially when he’s had as many good seasons in Edmonton as bad. I’ll be cheering him on the whole way though, just as I have been from the day we signed him.

You shut your mouth when you're talking to us!

• Reverend Wanye Gretz

I Am The Law wrote:

From the September 3 rant:
    “If you’re some dink like Jeff Finger and you run into Sheldon Souray, Souray is going to run your show.”
    This is probably the most memorable line I have read on any website, or in any book.
    And Mr. Finger is a sterling 21GP 2G 5A 7P. Therefore, that line is also the most prophetic.
    Thank you Wayne, for helping us see the light.

Ha ha I have no recollection of writing that but man is that true. Those two meet at a charity event and Jeff Finger is getting Souray's drinks for him ALL night.

I thank you IATL for reminding me of what I said.

You're welcome humanity.

• misfit

I've been against the Souray signing from the start, but he's definately earning his paycheck this year.

If he keeps it up the rest of the way, maybe I'll officially change my tune, but for a guy who's won the green jacket on his team on a regular basis despite only playing against middling opposition, forgive me if I'm not yet ready to declair it a great signing. Especially when he's had as many good seasons in Edmonton as bad. I'll be cheering him on the whole way though, just as I have been from the day we signed him.

• Reverend Wanye Gretz

BUCK75 wrote:

1414 votes atributed to your post Wanye, when I voted the total was at 123086

This is a start. How can we live with ourselves if Dion Phaneuf is ahead of SS?

@ Travis

I recall said back up. You are quite wise. Preach! Preach!

AMEN

• hockeysmack wrote:

You can’t blame a guy for being hurt (unless it’s Carlo Collavachio apparently),

Oh Ron Wilson. I hope, at one point, things get so bad in Toronto him and Hockey Jesus have a shirtless knife fight in the middle of the ACC parking lot.

• From the September 3 rant:

"If you’re some dink like Jeff Finger and you run into Sheldon Souray, Souray is going to run your show."

Thank you Wayne, for helping us see the light.

• Chris, it's fair to diss a guy for being hurt if he is signed to a big money deal at 31 and has a history of injury problems. It's not really dissing the guy, but the team management. You can't blame a guy for being hurt (unless it's Carlo Collavachio apparently), but you can blame management for bad contracts. So, if Souray's a bust last year, and an all-start this year, can we wait another year for the rubber match on this?

• Much in the same fashion as habs fans I have submitted my team:

Roloson
    Grebeskov (BAAAAAAAAAAAHD Choice)
    Sourary
    Penner
    Horcoff
    Hemsky

I think Hemsky would be deserving of a starting line-up position too.

• Reverend Wanye Gretz

#18 RobinB October 5 2008, 6:50 pm.

I actually think Souray will have his second-best season in terms of goals — I’m thinking 15-20 with 12-15 of those on the PP — if he gets in 75 games. Even paired with Visnovsky, I can’t see the 26 though.

You have also been spared Robin due to your tremendous faith.

• Chris

People dissed Souray for being hurt… Wow. That is as stupid as putting Penner on the third line in a defencive roll and publicly dissing him for lack of production… then marvalling at your own genius for tracking an increase in production when you place him back in his natural position on left wing on the first line. Some people are just plain dumb.

• @ RobinB:

I am also a supporter of Dustin Penner. If he continues to visualize the net as though it's an all you can eat at Eden's Ultra Lounge he'll be worth that contract.

AND when it comes true and all the armchair GMs will say 'I knew he would be a keeper'

*baggedmilk stamp of approval*

• Souray was an will continue to be a huge signing. I was ripped for saying it on Oilfans yet I did not waiver. My kung fu is strong, as is Souray's.

His powerful thunder-horn continues to lift the mighty Oil. His evolving facial foliage let's us know how to style our face forrest. With one stare he is able to bring goalies to their knees and question their own hetero sexuality.

Souray to the Allstar game.

I'm baggedmilk and I support this message.