Hemsky dominated tonight’s game

It might be permanently, or it might only be for the weekend. Either way Liam Reddox walked out of Rexall Place tonight carrying his hockey bag, so he will going to Springfield to try and help the Falcons win some games.

Reddox and Gilbert Brule should help the Falcons, and they will also stay sharp if they are needed back in Edmonton after the all-star break.

Other tidbits

Zack Stortini is already back skating and is eyeing a possible return next Friday versus the Wild. Stortini’s ability to avoid a serious injury is still amazing to most. He said he is feeling great, and that the torn muscle is healing nicely.

It has been a long time since a player dominated a game for the Oilers the way Hemsky did tonight. He made it look easy.

“No deception whatsoever,” said a stunned Sheldon Souray. “He throws in the odd toe drag to make guys look stupid and that’s it. It’s great to have him on our side. He’s an elite player and his performance has spoken for itself all season. He misses ten games, comes back and totally dominates the games. I’m jealous.”

Most adjectives to describe Hemsky ranged from sick, unreal, unbelievable, astonishing and even a joking envy. That was the best game I can remember Hemsky playing. He has had great goals before, but almost every shift he dominated and looked on a completely different level than anyone else.

What makes tonight even more incredible is that he isn’t on the all-star team. Quickly: name the players in the west who can dangle as well as Hemsky. Datsyuk, Kane and that’s it off the top of my head. There are other great players, but few who can make it look that easy.

At worst the Oilers will wake up tied for sixth in the west tomorrow morning and I don’t know who will be more stunned them or the fans. The anticipation from fans for the game versus Buffalo will be huge, because tonight Hemsky left everyone from teammates, media and fans waiting to see what his next performance will bring.

Enjoy it fans, you might be witnessing the emergence of true superstar, and a player that will energize Rexall Place in ways it hasn’t seen in a long time. Tonight after he scored the game winning goal, the fans chanted HEM-SKY, HEM-SKY. I can’t recall another game where his name was chanted with such vigor and excitement.

• rindog

Add to it his fantastic game on Sunday night as well…

There are only 8 players that have a better points per game average than Hemmer.

And 3 of them are Malkin, AO and Crosby.

Has Hemmer reached SUPERSTAR status???

Me thinks so!!!!!

• Doan or Brown over Hemsky? What? Tkachuk made it? What? When will Hemsky be recognized? What does he have to do? Is it because he plays in Edmonton? I can't understand why he isn't at the All Star game. He's been solid all year. And yet he's snubbed. Sick.

• rindog wrote:

@ Smokin’ Ray:
    One guy from every team in the conference….
    Sure makes a whole lot of sense to have Modano at the game and not Hemmer????

The stupid part is that it isn't a league mandated rule that every team has to represented anymore, but this year they just decided to have a player from every team. It is stupid in my mind because it is not the best players, but at the same time Oiler fans should be happy he isn't going. He can rest and be ready for the stretch run. The game itself is a joke, but the recognition that he is on even keel with the other best players in the league would be good for Hemsky.

• rindog

@ Jason Gregor:

Gregs,

How much of an impact do you think the play of Hemsky will have in attracting a big name forward in the off season (if we are even trying to)?

I guess it can't hurt, that's for sure.

• Hockey Gods

Smokin' Ray wrote:

I kind of like the fact he isn't as respected as he should be. Hopefully it means teams come unprepared and don't check him as tight as they should. That said I think we are witnessing a breakout year for Hemmer and chances are as the season progesses he get a lot more attention.

• Hockey Gods

Mark Martin wrote:

I think you could add Iginla to that list of elite players in this conference.

Why because he smiles and laughs in his interviews? Not good enough,

I refuse to acknowledge any of his other talents, he plays for the Flames, nuff said.

• Mark Martin wrote:

I think you could add Iginla to that list of elite players in this conference.

I meant in dangling ability…obviously Iginla, Thornton, Marleau, Zetterberg are there as well, but I was talking strictly in stick handling and dangling ability.

• oilmoose

UN-BE-LEAVE-ABLE!
    I have to admit, before the goal by Grebs I figured we were down and out. I have to wonder, how did we manage without Hemmer for 10 games without him? This kid is the most exciting thing to happen to this team since I've been watching in '79 other than the "glory years". It's awfully refreshing to have some hope that the game is never really lost. "Hemmer can come through!"
    For the first time in a long time with conviction, GOILERS!!!

• rindog wrote:

@ Jason Gregor:
    Gregs,
    I guess it can’t hurt, that’s for sure.

You answered it. It won't hurt that is for sure, but it will be really tough this offseason, because there is so much uncertainty about the 2010/2011 season and what the cap will be at. Teams will have to be ultra careful, and the Oilers will need to be because Gagner and Cogliano will need new deals prior to the start of 2010/2011.

• Tankit4Tavares

I was composing a list of players myself before I read this post, not of who got the All-Star nod ahead of Hemmer, just players that have just flat out CRUSHED the opposition like that on their own. In the last couple of years maybe Datsuk, Ovie, Malkin, and Nash. It was completely off the charts. Im still wearing a sh!t-eating grin and will be until the Edmonton Hemsky's take the ice again.

• Colin

Tankit4Tavares wrote:

Im still wearing a sh!t-eating grin and will be until the Edmonton Hemsky’s take the ice again.

they almost should change the team name.

• jayoilfan

After grebs goal with 5mins left I just felt something was building… As Hemsky took the pass up the boards from Penner I was thinking…Just shoot just shoot! and he did! Mason was screened a bit on the shot but on the replay it was a perfectly palce top corner shot. Mason barely waved at it with his blocker! The happy smile on Hemsky's face was priceless, pure joy and exultation! Looks like they are having fun.

SWEEEEET! as for not making the all star selection, who cares it is a waste of three hours on the weekend, I'll be at a WHL game with my two boys.

• I get a kick out of his goal celebrations. It's like "Yep…scored. Wooo."

…not much fanfare, a little fist pump, a tiny smirk….no riding of the stick to center ice, no jumping into the corner glass, no tossing a glove in the air and pretending to shoot it down with a hockey stick rifle …just quiet and reserved.

• Chaz

@ Travis Dakin:
    Joe Sakic knows what he's talking about, unless he's talking about snow removal….ouch! Sorry Joe.

Seriously though, what amazes me about Hemmer is he'll skate into the opposition's end and it doesn't even look like he's skating that fast, and then all of a sudden he'll be past both defensemen. He's so smooth he tricks the other team into thinking he's not skating, then he's gone…poof.

Enjoy your rest this week Hemmer and let the egomaniacs have thier little "Allstar" game. Magical Ales, magical!

• Rev

First, need to recognize that Hemmer and Ovechkin are two different players – but one thing they have in common is that quick release from the high slot using screens that completely catches netminders off guard.

Would be nice to see Ovechkin and Hemsky compared at the allstar game. But let's not take the allstar game seriously, its nothing but an opportunity to shoot new NHL.com videos (while all the popular players are together) and demonstrate only one demension of the game.

• Milli

This is a diferent team with him in the line up, crazy diferent. I haven't always been a beleiver…..BUT I AM CONVERTED THIS SEASON. This guy has truly been dominant, and ya, why isn't he an ALLSTAR? Imagine, after everything that this team has been this season, to wake up, going into the break, playing good (great?) hockey and in a playoff position!!!! This is SWEET!!!!!

• Travis Dakin

@ Jonathan Willis:

Agreed. It is very obvious that this team is going to need him to keep it rolling for the rest of the season if it's going anywhere.

• Jason Gregor wrote: