Raffi Torres: Masterton Nominee

Torres

Former Oiler Raffi Torres is the Columbus Blue Jackets’ nominee for the Masterton Trophy, which is awarded annually to the NHL player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”

It’s also known as “that award the league gives out to Jason Blake because he plays for Toronto rather than to Fernando Pisani despite the fact that Pisani’s hair follicles have more heart than the combined heart of Jason Blake even if Jason Blake were cloned into an army of pale, whiny Jason Blakes.” Admittedly, the trophy’s only described that way on the wall of Wanye’s current cardboard residence, but the point stands. After all, Bobby Clarke won the thing so I don’t think that “sportsmanship” enters into it.

Torres has had a nice bounce-back year once he returned from injury; his pre-injury numbers were very bad but he’s salvaged that somewhat with 12 goals on the year so far. Meanwhile, Gilbert Brule has 13 goals in the AHL, so there’s no doubt as to which team has benefited more on the ice from this summer’s trade. I’ve always maintained that Torres was under-appreciated here in Edmonton; he was frightfully inconsistent, but even when he wasn’t scoring he wasn’t bleeding chances against and nobody can tell me that his physical game hasn’t been missed this season.

I very much doubt that he wins the award.

As for the Oilers, I’m not sure who is going to get the nod from the media writers in this town, but my guess would be that after seven seasons in seven different leagues and an ugly injury this year, Steve MacIntyre will be nominated for the award.

Harlie wrote:

also…Souray has had 10 PPG and the Oilers have had 57 PPG this year. So 18% of the time Souray was the scorer on the PP. That hardly backs up your assertion that Souray was the “only guy to pass the puck to on the PP”.

That's because every other teams know what he's going to so so most of the time his shot doesn't even get though.

But you just proved my point right there, half his goals are on the PP. Take being on the advantage away and he's only got 11 goals this season. Rah Rah Souray!

Harlie wrote:

No I didn’t. 90% of your post stated that Rolli was old and that he didn’t b*tch in the media. I don’t care how many words it takes you to spell out your point but it broke down to the two things.

Well, you know what? You believe whatever your ignorance tells you, but it's not going to make anyone else agree with you. We'll see who's right tomorrow.

Victoria wrote:

half his goals are on the PP.

your right…half of Horcoff's goals are on the PP. Half of Gilberts goals were on on the PP. More than half for Lubo were on the PP. And a little less than half were on the PP for Nilsson and Souray. Have you seen Kotalik's stats? Half on the PP too.

Take being on the advantage away and everyone including Souray sucks right? I don't understand this "take this away" mentality. Either it is there or it is not.

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Pisani was robbed last year.
    I’m still mad about it.

I agree. Jason Blake isn't even respected by his former (maybe even some current) teammates. Check out this vid on youtube, from the Van/Tor game this year. Seems even Sundin isn't a fan of the Blakian one.

I love the comment by Shorthouse: "He looked up, saw 55, and gave him a shot, right there."

I think Willis should hand out ALL the awards this year. That would be interesting. I'm up for a little randomness…

@ Harlie:

You haven't understood much today, so I'm not surprised. The thing you're ignoring is no one else on our team has the PP revolve around them like Souray does. He's got 100 more minutes then anyone else. Even Hemmer hasn't had the PP geared towards him scoring goals like Souray has.

Look, I'm not saying Souray hasn't been good, but you're going on about his goal scoring and he's had 10 goals on a PP that has been built around getting him the puck. Kind of explains why our PP has been so bad this year, it's predictable.

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ a_ron:
    Roloson’s a good guess too. I thought about him, but MacIntyre’s a much bigger rags-to-riches sort of story. We’ll know in a couple of days, although I imagine Brownlee could give us a hint early.

I already did in last Monday's edition of the Metro (what, you don't read it?). It'll be MacIntyre.

Victoria wrote:

@ Harlie:
    You haven’t understood much today, so I’m not surprised.

There isn't much to understand when you talk out of your ass 90% of the time. Give me some facts or some stats other than your rah rah Roli is god shtick that you learned from listening to too much Bryan Hall.

@ Harlie:
    Nobody has said anything about Roli being a god, but based on the criteria: sportsmanship, perserverance and dedication to hockey I felt that Roloson at least deserved consideration after last season where he was relegated to back-up and this year bouncing back and some nights being the Oilers best chance to win.

Robin Brownlee wrote:

I already did in last Monday’s edition of the Metro (what, you don’t read it?). It’ll be MacIntyre.

Every single time I take Edmonton transit, Robin. Every single time.

• Hippy

I like Big Mac, he's got a good story, but I don't know if I'd call to rags to riches. More like rags to our press box; Poor guy hasn't gotten this few games since the 03/04 season.

I'd say he's my second choice.

Harlie wrote:
    @ Harlie:
    You haven’t understood much today, so I’m not surprised.

There isn’t much to understand when you talk out of your ass 90% of the time. Give me some facts or some stats other than your rah rah Roli is god shtick that you learned from listening to too much Bryan Hall.

That's your comeback?! Weak.

Victoria wrote:

I like Big Mac, he’s got a good story, but I don’t know if I’d call to rags to riches. More like rags to our press box; Poor guy hasn’t gotten this few games since the 03/04 season.
    I’d say he’s my second choice.

going from being in a minor league to a major league and making 10X the amount of money is the very definition of rags to riches. Never mind getting your face caved in sticking up for your team. But yeah your right, making 3.6 million a year while avoiding the press is more worthy.

Harlie wrote:

Victoria wrote:

I’d say he’s my second choice.

Another boneheaded post from you. So now the Masterton is about money? The 'rags to riches' Willis is referring to is Mac going from being bumped around minor league teams to finally playing in the NHL, not the money he makes. Time for you to get the hamster back on the wheel, Harlie.

@ Jonathan Willis:

You live in the city? I thought you lived in Timbucktoo, BC.

@ Robin Brownlee:

I read it whenever I am given the coluntary option of getting it. Unlike the 95% of the time when the LRT stairs are blocked by 2 of these "peoples" handing this shît out.

Victoria wrote:

Harlie wrote:
    Victoria wrote:

I SAID – going from being in a minor league to a major league

U SAID – The ‘rags to riches’ Willis is referring to is Mac going from being bumped around minor league teams to finally playing in the NHL,

who's the bonehead that can't read? Back to HFboards with you Narnia.

Harlie wrote:

Victoria wrote:

Harlie wrote:
    Victoria wrote:
    I SAID – going from being in a minor league to a major league

who’s the bonehead that can’t read? Back to HFboards with you Narnia.

Uh, wow. You're a piece of work. How about rereading your post then getting back to me. And what the hell is the HFBoards and who's Narnia? Is this how you spend your life, fighting on message boards?

@ Harlie:
    In other words, you have no argument anymore, so you have to deflect what we're talking about. You didn't finish anything, you sure have been owned a number of times, though.

You bashed Roli, I responded. You got a problem with people shooting you down? Don't speak in public.