It’s been two days, and already I tire of the Heatley rumours. That said, here are a few of the takes from around the blogosphere:
- David Staples
- Silver Seven Sens
- Puck Daddy
- Bringing Back the Glory
- Strange Deadfellows
- Towel Boy
- and finally, me
Despite all the rumours of Brent Sutter going to work for his brother in Calgary, Jim Matheson has made a rather bold statement: “Sutter will not be joining brother Darryl in Calgary.” Matheson knows what he’s talking about, I’m sure, and when he says this I’m convinced. He also gets a quote on Brent Sutter’s connection to Edmonton:
“I heard all these rumours with Edmonton, too, before they hired their staff. All the speculation because it’s an hour and 15 minutes from my farm. I had nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers.”
And speaking of the Sutter family, Pat Quinn made a comment the other day that just begs for tildes. Here’s what Quinn said:
“They’ll have someone new in here whether it may be a Sutter coming back in, I don’t know that. They’re a wonderful family and a big family, so maybe they’ll put all seven back there.”
And here it is again, with a minor fix:
~They’ll have someone new in here whether it may be a Sutter coming back in, I don’t know that. They’re a wonderful family and a big family, so maybe they’ll put all seven back there.~
With the NHL Entry Draft coming up, there are a lot of unheralded prospects who are about to be thrust into the spotlight. There are, fortunately people who follow junior hockey and are willing to tell us things; if anyone’s interested there are two sites I’d recommend:
NHL Draft Notes is written by Red Line Report’s Michael Remmerde. He’s based out of Western Canada and is in the process of doing profiles on 60 draft-eligible players in the region.
OHL Prospects is a group blog which gets contributions from a pair of former Hockey’s Future writers and a fan, all three of whom follow the Ontario Hockey League closely.
Finally, if you’re sick of everything Dany Heatley or Brent Sutter related, here are some articles worth checking out:
- Tyler has been on fire, with two absolutely must read pieces – one on faceoff ratios, and the other on the shrinking goaltender market. Both are great reads.
- James Mirtle asks, “How hard is it for a player to win the Stanley Cup”? Very hard, as it turns out.
- Coming Down the Pipe! has been doing a great draft preview series; I’d strongly recommend it.
- The Gospel of Hockey continues the fine tradition of blogosphere love for Michel Ouellete.
- The Church of Kurri looks at an Oilers’ edition of Extreme Makeover.
- Black Dog talks about the last big name player Edmontonians were pining after (you know, before this Heatley thing) – Jay Bouwmeester.
- And finally, I talk about character at the draft. Believe it or not, Alexei Yashin is used as an example.