Mike Comrie signs with the Oil?

coms1

Now we don’t disagree with Robin Brownlee about anything – ever. It’s not because we are scared of him, but more we are scared of the things he would do to us if we ever angered him. Sure we love a good drive by shooting as much the next guy, but we are far too pretty to have our face rearranged by “BC’s most dangerous man 1977.”

But a couple of hours ago we were messaged by a guy we know who said “now that you have got your head out of your (edited) and returned to writing on the Nation, you might be interested in discussing the fact that it would appear Daryl Katz has personally wired up a one year deal for 1.3 million with Mike Comrie.” Our eyes shot out of our head so fast that we put down the bag of cans we were scavanging in the river valley and ran straight home screaming at the top of our lungs, bloody eye sockets and all.

Now we aren’t here to start a database of falsehoods in our best Eklund imitation. We aren’t going to engage in idle speculation about how billionaires are rarer than foreign tourists in Edmonton and how Bill Comrie and Daryl Katz are probably friends on some level which could have led to a dialogue being opened with Dot Com’s camp. We wouldn’t presume to weigh in on an unlikely rumor that could be a potential disaster this season.

We won’t pretend that we know better than Brownlee who told us back on August 19:

“While Comrie, now 29, is good enough to play in the Oilers top six and could be had for a discount rate, like maybe $2 million in a one-year contract, it’s a profoundly bad idea on so many levels I don’t even know where to start.”

However interesting re-signing Comrie would be in an attempt to exercise the “everyone hates Edmonton” demons that began when he left town back in 2003 under a cloud of rumors and cloak-and-daggery, we won’t lower ourselves onto the slippery slope of discussing this in great detail.

But you can.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Hey Guys, how do we know Katz is single handly orchestrating this deal? Has anyone taken the time to think it may have gone something like this:

    Tambo offers a contract to Comrie know he may be able to get him at a discount. Winter and Comrie politely let Mr Tambellini know there is a strained relationship because of the previous GM and ownership group. Tambo asks Katz for a little support here to prove to the clients there is new regime here and things have chanfed in Oil country.

    Just like when we went after Hossa last summer, Lowe started the negotiation, but brought in a little more fire power to close the deal. Sales organizations do this all the time.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Ogden Brother wrote:

    wouldn’t they look to Tanguay or even Sykora over Comrie? Have you heard if they have interest in either… or better yet have talked to them?

    Makes much more sense to me.

    This a joke right wanye? hahaha…..(sobs)

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Hockey Gods wrote:

    Hey Guys, how do we know Katz is single handly orchestrating this deal? Has anyone taken the time to think it may have gone something like this:
    Tambo offers a contract to Comrie know he may be able to get him at a discount. Winter and Comrie politely let Mr Tambellini know there is a strained relationship because of the previous GM and ownership group. Tambo asks Katz for a little support here to prove to the clients there is new regime here and things have chanfed in Oil country.
    Just like when we went after Hossa last summer, Lowe started the negotiation, but brought in a little more fire power to close the deal. Sales organizations do this all the time.

    I Tambo was/is unaware of the past relationship that Comrie has had with the Oilers then perhaps he is not smart enough to be the GM of anything – it's common knowledge.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    @ Pouzar:

    I'd like to believe that Tambo thinks this is the dumbest idea he's ever heard of and is mad enough to spit nails. Not that a powerless GM and a delusional owner is a nice scenario to contemplate, but it is (marginally) more palatable than admitting we hired a madman as our GM to replace Lowe.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Ender the Dragon wrote:

    @ Pouzar:
    I’d like to believe that Tambo thinks this is the dumbest idea he’s ever heard of and is mad enough to spit nails. Not that a powerless GM and a delusional owner is a nice scenario to contemplate, but it is (marginally) more palatable than admitting we hired a madman as our GM to replace Lowe.

    I supose it is the lesser of two evils lol… though I am sure that yourself and many other of us Oiler fans can agree on the fact that we could really do without all the drama. If ownership does not think that Tambo is the man for the job then get someone who is. If they want Tambo to be the GM then let him do his thing and let him be.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Pouzar wrote:

    I Tambo was/is unaware of the past relationship that Comrie has had with the Oilers then perhaps he is not smart enough to be the GM of anything – it’s common knowledge.

    +1

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Pouzar wrote:

    Ender the Dragon wrote:
    @ Pouzar:
    I’d like to believe that Tambo thinks this is the dumbest idea he’s ever heard of and is mad enough to spit nails. Not that a powerless GM and a delusional owner is a nice scenario to contemplate, but it is (marginally) more palatable than admitting we hired a madman as our GM to replace Lowe.
    I supose it is the lesser of two evils lol… though I am sure that yourself and many other of us Oiler fans can agree on the fact that we could really do without all the drama. If ownership does not think that Tambo is the man for the job then get someone who is. If they want Tambo to be the GM then let him do his thing and let him be.

    I think "we" are the main cause of the drama 😉

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Robin Brownlee wrote:

    As much as I’d like to tell you this Comrie item is the result of yet another Wanye Gretz bender involving alcohol and prescription drugs, I can say with certainty it’s not — at least not as far as interest in Comrie by the Oilers goes.
    Shortly before I wrote the Mike Comrie: Do Over? item Aug 19, I heard talk from people who would know that the Oilers were entertaining the possibility of offering Comrie a contract. I’d spent a couple of days tying to lock this down without much luck when Wanye’s sleuthing hit the website today.
    I still haven’t asked Mike about this, but I did talk to agent Ritch Winter today. He declined comment, so I don’t know what the level of interest is from Comrie’s side of things, given that I’m led to believe a handful of teams are looking at him.
    While I stand by my original post that a return by Comrie makes little sense, given the make-up of the roster and the Oilers salary cap issues, I can say without much doubt owner Daryl Katz doesn’t much care about any misgivings I might have. This has legs.

    I'm actually scared by the prospect of signing Comrie over someone who can actually fill a hole on this roster. Hell… Cogliano had a better faceoff percentage than Comrie (okay, it was like 0.2% better but still). Robin, can't you give Katz et. al a TM dirty look and scare them straight?

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Pedro wrote:

    Yay #200!

    Pedro wrote:

    Dope just missed it!

    Bingofuel,
    Is there a way to edit this kind of thing out? I have the same feelings as you about these matters.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    @ The Menace:
    amen.

    @ danjo1:
    Several people lately including LT have suggested the possibility of signing Adam Oates as a specialty coach in an effort to improve our team FO%. Heck, I'd rather see them re-sign Oates as a player before derailing the effort further by bringing in Comrie.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    danjo1 wrote:

    Robin Brownlee wrote:
    As much as I’d like to tell you this Comrie item is the result of yet another Wanye Gretz bender involving alcohol and prescription drugs, I can say with certainty it’s not — at least not as far as interest in Comrie by the Oilers goes.
    Shortly before I wrote the Mike Comrie: Do Over? item Aug 19, I heard talk from people who would know that the Oilers were entertaining the possibility of offering Comrie a contract. I’d spent a couple of days tying to lock this down without much luck when Wanye’s sleuthing hit the website today.
    I still haven’t asked Mike about this, but I did talk to agent Ritch Winter today. He declined comment, so I don’t know what the level of interest is from Comrie’s side of things, given that I’m led to believe a handful of teams are looking at him.
    While I stand by my original post that a return by Comrie makes little sense, given the make-up of the roster and the Oilers salary cap issues, I can say without much doubt owner Daryl Katz doesn’t much care about any misgivings I might have. This has legs.
    I’m actually scared by the prospect of signing Comrie over someone who can actually fill a hole on this roster. Hell… Cogliano had a better faceoff percentage than Comrie (okay, it was like 0.2% better but still). Robin, can’t you give Katz et. al a TM dirty look and scare them straight?

    Scary isn't it. Malhotra is sitting there and could potentially fill a glaring need…. but instead the team turns to someone that would be duplication of what we already have to much of???

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Screw Comrie. Foresberg played for Modo yesterday on their top line. hmmmm Foresberg eh?

    *fans the wild and what will certainly be rampant rumors of the Oilers trying to sign Foresberg*

  • I'm a Scientist!

    The Journal just posted a bit more info on RX2 – sounds like plans will be out within a few weeks.

    hxxp://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Billion+dollar+makeover+core/1938495/story.html

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Here is what I'd like to see happen.

    1) Sign Comrie for 1.3m of Katz's money.
    2) Make the contract conditional to Mike and Rich finally come clean on past events (like they had promised)
    3) Hold Lowe accountable. Retire him (and his number) so the Oilers can finally move forward as a franchise.
    4) Place Comrie on waivers.

    *I'm only half joking*

  • I'm a Scientist!

    Ogden Brother wrote:

    Scary isn’t it. Malhotra is sitting there and could potentially fill a glaring need…. but instead the team turns to someone that would be duplication of what we already have to much of???

    yeah, even if Manny is asking for too much, there's others who come much cheaper. I really like Robin's idea of trading for Steckel but I'm not sure that J.F. Jacques would be enough to pry him away from Washington, and I don't know what would.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    @ danjo1:

    You got to wonder exactly what Manny is asking for. I think he is a player who priced himself out of the marketplace. His agent is not the only agent to give his client bad advice this summer though.

  • I'm a Scientist!

    @ Pouzar:
    Who knows… Didn't he turn down an offer to go to Florida? I think they were offering what he was asking for too. I wonder if the pay vs. team performance wasn't worth it to him.