GDB 42: The battle rages on

Look at this picture that we were sent by a reader of the Nation. It’s so sweet that merely looking at it gave us a case of Type-II diabetes. Apparently it’s a baby yoga class chock-a-block with Oilers fans of the future just waiting to learn to read and write so they can come on here and yell at Robin Brownlee. But don’t let those babies fool you –- they will gouge out your eyes given half a chance.

There are things you know in life, Nation, and there are things that you don’t know. We all know where the Oil are in the standings right now, the 1,305,349 things that are wrong with the team and the 2,406,540 things that could be done to fix them. We’ll spare you reading another paragraph about any of these matters going into the game tonight.

Instead we give you an option.

You can read about the Capitals here or you can read a list of 10 interesting facts that we guarantee you didn’t already know. You choose, Nation –- it’s your life.

10 important facts you didn’t already know

1. The dot over the letter “i” is called a tittle.
  2. A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.
  3. It is estimated that at any one time around 0.7% of the world’s population is drunk.
  4. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents every day somewhere in the world.
  5. John Wilkes Booth’s brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln’s son.
  6. About 200,000,000 M&Ms are sold each day in the United States.
  7. The first bomb the Allies dropped on Berlin in WWII killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
  8. If you put a drop of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death.
  9. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.
  10. Every year, four people in the UK die putting their trousers on.

You’re welcome society.

The Oil will be joined by 150 Canadian Soldiers who are being honored at the Verizon Centre, along with Corporal Mark Fuchko, Master Corporal Colin A. Johnston and Corporal James Ryan Douglas who flew with the Oilers to Washington. That’s 15 kinds of classy Oil. Well done.

• I'm a Scientist!

You can tell Brule is way more a "MacT" kinda player. Not that it matters, because Lord Willin'.. he'll be gone either before the end of this year, or the second after it's done.

• I'm a Scientist!

Amber McCormick wrote:

Goodnight boys.
    **Join us next time when you hear Amber say,
    “Baggedmilk turned (nutmeg into a ring of gold)"”

Orr the river nile…

• I'm a Scientist!

baggedmilk wrote:

Amber McCormick wrote:
    Wanye Gretz wrote:
    Oh you kids and your meth.
    But it’s only, like, $5 a hit. And I can make it in my bath tub
    And I get (to get to bake cookies for the church bake sale.)

Why baggedmilk I did not know you could type so well, that was a great well written comment

• I'm a Scientist!

oldtendirt wrote:

And just think how much better they would have been if the has Shremp in the lineup. A win with Mact still coach disappointing for some.

It's almost as bad as Godwin's Law.

No matter what happens, all arguments/discussions about the Oilers eventually turn to Rob Schremp/MacT

lol

• I'm a Scientist!

So now after this win can there be a positive post on Oilers Nation for once? Or something about hockey instead of the soap opera BS that is thrown on here all the time? How about defenense, the breakout, players with not a lot of experience playing well against huge talent…. Anything but firing the coach and Schremp.

ps. Think we would be in 5th and have 30 more goals if we played in the east. Can we move to the other conference?

• I'm a Scientist!

rob wrote:

Oooh yeah Rob run that game! I can feel the heat. I thank you for raising all of those points earlier in the week rather than just reading them and tsking to yourself aloud. Now that there is a win you can safely come out of the silence fog to make a quick volley and then fade away.

• I'm a Scientist!

rob wrote:

So now after this win can there be a positive post on Oilers Nation for once?

Go ahead Rob. Tell us all how great that was. I just read 100 positive posts and 50 weirdly sexual posts. Isn't that enough good will and positive energy for you? The frustration of the nation centers around the lack of consistency. After witnessing an entertaining Oiler win for the first time in weeks, I'm so completely satisfied that I'm going to power down my computer and talk to my wife… If she's still here somewhere…

• I'm a Scientist!

Wanye Gretz wrote:

In a hilarious twist Cole is being credited with a hat trick now after the game.

I refer to my previous post….

Travis Dakin wrote:

Colin wrote:
    Cole with the trick in the EN. I’m calling it now.
    DONE AND DONE!

• I'm a Scientist!

rob wrote:

Read Jonathan's stuff. That will cover you. If not try the geek sqaud postings at MC79 and Lowetide. The numbers those guys are throwing around will blow your friggin mind.

• I'm a Scientist!

@ Wanye Gretz:

Dear Lord it makes it a whole new JL meeting to go back hours later and read the comments that have been touched up by you. Wow that was a gooder.

• I'm a Scientist!

OMG one of the BEST JL's evah…& I missed it.

I figured after I heard Rod announce it was 2-0 Caps, my prediction would be going sideways…

Hopefully a win on Thursday – 2 game win streaks suck.