Only sort of about hockey

lolcatboring

I sat through the entire game last night in glorious HD. High-def was the only thing glorious about it. I thought about talking about how watching the Oil play last night was like watching one of those old-timey football board games where the players just vibrate around the board and don’t really do anything. Those of you who saw it know exactly what I’m talking about.

Instead, though, I’m going to talk about something related to the Oilers. Something that might make you feel a little bit better about the shitanus™ effort displayed by a team that cannot afford to phone it in and lose to teams like the Blue Jackets. Hey, there’s got to be something out there to get me excited about this team, right? Gah!

Tweets ‘n Twits

It would appear that Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish have Twitter account. Oh sure, the people behind these accounts are clearly not the real deal. But I imagine that the ghosts in the machines are at least partially able to channel the thoughts of MacT and Tambo. To wit…

Quotes from Twitter MacT

Planning the lines for tonights game using my patented pull names out of a hat method. Right now Macintyre, Gagner and Souray are 1st line.

Told the guys today that if we want to make the playoffs we’re gonna need to play with more jam. That fat bastard Penner asked what flavor.

Quotes from Twitter Tambo

Thinking of sending Gagner to junior. I mean junior high school, not hockey. Kid thinks Narnia is a real place. Sucks at hockey, too.

It’s a good thing the game versus Calgary is here tonight. Harvey the Hound scares the bejeezus outta me.

Now these clearly aren’t the real deal (wouldn’t it be boring if they were, though? Stock comments aimed at helping angry fans keep the faith they’ve long-since lost). And I’m certain that when Allan Watt, VP of Oilers Marketing, finally wises up to these, he’ll shit a brick or six and then hire up a team of rabid lawyers to destroy the people behind these accounts. But at least these twitterers make an otherwise god-awful game/season/hockey team something interesting again.

If anyone needs me, I’ll be under my desk crying tears of oil.

@ Wej:
    This is the problem: visually, the HD was fab. But I was picking up on a lot of details, like the Oil's massive suckitude. No heart. Nothing to keep me engaged. I'm not even sure why I kept watching it.

@ Loki:
    Like Willis says, linking is OK. It sometimes ends up in a spam trap, just because that's how we have things set up. I usually clear the filter fairly regularly, though so no worries.

Sorry about all the comments from moi!

Re: Reddox vs. Gagner

Is this seriously a discussion?

Anyways, Reddox is a very good AHL player and a fringe major-leaguer at this point, while Sam Gagner is developing quickly and will be a much better player for a much longer time (obviously).

That said, is there anything wrong with sitting Gagner out for a game now and then after a particularly poor effort?

I'd say no, but then again I wouldn't sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.

@ Jonathan Willis:
    'but then again I wouldn’t sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.'

And that's why you'll never coach the Oilers Jonathan.

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Loki:
    Linking is fine (unless you’re spamming, but you aren’t). Especially linking to Lowetide who, IMO, is probably the best writer in the blogosphere.

Best writer in blogosphere? Please…His grammar is absolutely atrocious. Sure, he gives unique articles about players we have never heard before, but his language and lack of proper grammar make him far from the best. The two guys you have in Gregor and Brownlee are much better WRITERS.

LT has a unique perspective, but don't say he is a great writer when he doesn't know a comma splice, run-on-sentance or many other obvious grammatical errors.

Jonathan Willis wrote:

I’d say no, but then again I wouldn’t sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.

No kidding. i couldn't believe it…although I don't know why I was surprised. I just cannot believe how this group has been so unable to click at all…and how mgmt has done nothing about it….no trades, no firing, no hangings…SAD, SAD, SAD. My poor friend from Calgary (shinkhole) came in today, and said "ya, I was gonna text you, but whats the point" and I don't have anything to say back anymore…except, ya well, you clowns are gonna get bounced in the first round…and that is even getting pretty empty. All I want is a team that FORKING competes. Win or Lose, COMPETE. I found myself wishing for the days Torres would show up , for us, for a game hear and there….BRUTAL!!!

@ Al:

But is a great writer defined by his grammar? There's plenty of perfectly precise English teachers out there who couldn't string three interesting paragraphs together.

The thing about LT is that he's interesting; he has a sense of the history of the game that's unique, and a way of putting things together that makes sense and is worth reading.

Then again, it's just my opinion, and mileage will vary.

@ Jonathan Willis:
    Do you mean poor effort or poor result?? One that I will never question about Gagner is that he gives his all every shift. The same can not be said about most Oilers, except maybe our saviour Liam Reddox.

That is a major problem with this year is accountability. Nillson and Penner are easy targets for MacT because they are not his type of players, but when Cole skates around with his head up his @ss for 40 games nothing.

When Moreau uses his stick as an axe for the better part of the year and is rewarded with the call in the last minute of action looking for a goal.

Roloson did not have the best start but was given the benefit of the doubt that was not afforded to Garon(worked out though).

And when Gagner is struggling he stays he just keeps getting thrown out there. Does MacT not remember how he handled Hemsky at the same age?? He was scratched, benched, played on the 4ht line played on the first played everywhere.

@ shakey:
    I wasn't inferring that the Ice was the cause of the Oilers bad game, it just made the whole game seem sloppy. Columbus played trap and the Oilers didn't have an answer.

• I'm a Scientist!

I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I had an offer of a ticket to last night and turned it down. I almost fell asleep last night on the couch watching the game in HD. The team was asleep in Rexall. I cannot recall in 30 plus years a team with so little effort as this one. The players don't care so why should we.

swany wrote:

Today is the day for a trade, you could have the player here before the next game and what is there to wait for,

Yes – please trade or buyout Penner, Horcoff and let Cole walk = $15 million for next year – noting some cap restrictions – penalties….. heard a great trade on the team from Jake Daniels – I couldn't believe it…..

Briere for Horcoff – change of scenery for both problems I mean players.

mjsh wrote:

I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I had an offer of a ticket to last night and turned it down. I almost fell asleep last night on the couch watching the game in HD. The team was asleep in Rexall. I cannot recall in 30 plus years a team with so little effort as this one. The players don’t care so why should we.

Hear Hear – second that – but watching the titanic go down is a car accident I just have to watch…

chaz wrote:

After last night’s effort, it should be obvious to everyone that the Oil should be deadline sellers. You hear me Dan Barnes? Sellers!!! This team has no heart and no identity and needs rebuilding. Too bad the people who make the decisions can’t see this. Listen to the Nation Oil Brass. Even the most die-hard fans realize this, and you should too.

Sorry Allan Watt has restricted oilersnation.com from all oiler employee laptops and desks with help from
    the IT department. Listening to the team 1260 is reason for dismissal – only corus radio stations until the Katz buyout of Astral radio is complete (LOL)….
    so their ability to think free is restricted….

Tim S wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis:

Geez, coach is being tuned out, GM signed the wrong players – UFA are overpaid to deal with the issues and Tambo is hired to deflect the heat for mistakes and the owner goes on vacation – lives out of town and is not accountable – sounds like a real committed bunch. As long as the sheep buy the tickets – who cares as MLSE says – I think that's where the mentoring is coming from secretly from Brian Burke.

Al wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote:
    @ Loki:

LT has a unique perspective, but don’t say he is a great writer when he doesn’t know a comma splice, run-on-sentance or many other obvious grammatical errors.

I took lowetides grammar class – works for me.

Ender the Dragon wrote:

At moments like these, I think it helps to step back and say to oneself “It’s professional ice hockey. When they win, I still have to go to work. When they lose, I still get to eat. Many of my loved ones don’t even know the games are played, yet their lives are unaffected. Take a deep breath . . . everything is going to be all right.”
    Take a minute to reflect on all things not Oilers. Then, if the emptiness makes you start crying, you book yourself into the same institution that Deep Oil and W.T. reside in. If not, the day seems just a little bit better, and that’s what we’re looking for here, folks: perspective. Post-season, no post-season, MacT, no MacT; it doesn’t change the place that you sleep or what you’re having for supper tonight, so let some of it go.

This hotel – spa is great – Alberta Healthcare is picking up the tab and I have HD priveleges for all NHL network games….. and they have wireless internet here for all the guests….

Betting against the oil online is making my children very wealthy – very little risk……. betonsports

@ Jonathan Willis:
    I would have no problems with the coach sitting out Gagner, but like what has been mentioned many times there is only accountability for certain players. On most teams after an effort like last night, the team would be put through their paces today (ie: skate the sh*t out of them to let them see how hard they need to work) That is the kind of thing that should've happened this year many times.

• I'm a Scientist!

Sadly this year's edition of the Edmonton Oilers has underwhelmed. For whatever reason (coaching, management, or personnel) they just aren't performing the way we imagined or would have deemed satisfactory. And in all our collective frustration we have cursed, bled, and cried together as we lament the misfortunes of our team. We have voiced our opinions (which to our knowledge have fallen on deaf ears). Most of us have come to the disappointing realization that change is not coming, tomorrow win or lose, buy or sell, MacT and the gang will still be here. We've been through this before, season after season, highs and lows. But I declare today February 28, 2009 I will not abandon my team in their time of need, though they push us away I will keep coming back. I love my team, through good or bad I will support them. Today I'm breaking out my vintage orange and blue, I'm digging through the garage for the overused Oilers flags, and I'm spreading the word – OILERSNATION will not lay down, we are the best seventh men in the NHL and we will will our team to victory! As a citizen 2 things our certain 1) Flames suck and 2) Oilers or death!