Point and Counterpoint

solongcole

Erik Cole is gone.

Last night on their award winning website, jeanshorts and baggedmilk made the following statement: “I had a premonition, and I will tell you what it is. Erik Cole pots a beauty tonight only to be traded tomorrow. Book it.”

Well isn’t this fantastic. Not only is JSBM wanted in three different provinces for a variety of felonies but they are also apparently clairvoyant. This is a dangerous skill for an evil of their magnitude to have somehow acquired. Speaking of acquisitions — how about them Oilers? (insert heavy sarcasm here)

Point: (from MSG via blackberry messenger)

“I honestly think that the Oilers came out on top today. Two quality players and a second rounder for Cole. Good trade”

Counterpoint:

Shut your tooth garage, MSG.

*throws a wild punch which MSG easily dodges, then runs into dark alley*

Point: (from humantorch in Holland via Twitter)

“And yet somehow we managed to get smaller and softer. Um, yay?”

Counterpoint:

Exactly. The Oilers are severely lacking players who possess the ability to bang and crash AND bring offensive skill to the table. Cole was one of the few Oilers who could beat you in the alley and on the scoreboard. Now, not so much. It fails to address any of the real shortcomings of the team and adds more smallish soft players to an already soft roster.

Point: (via comment from jeanshorts)

“Is Wanye sulking in the corner, clutching his autographed Erik Cole picture? Come on big guy, it’s what had to be done. I’m pretty sure you’d be more upset when he walked at the end of the season and we got absolutely nothing for him.”

Counterpoint:

Firstly we don’t have an Erik Cole autographed picture. If we did, we would be rushing down to a local tattoo artist to have him transfer it to our back in life-size detail to show Cole as he departs from town. Erik Cole didn’t want to leave Edmonton. We sat on a couch watching Gregor’s show broadcast not two feet from Robin (Smokeless) Brownlee as he said the following (or something close to it) not two weeks ago:

“If Cole leaves the Oilers it’s because the Oilers want to trade Cole — not because he wants to leave Edmonton”

Good players come to Edmonton and often depart quickly thereafter. It’s time to reverse this trend. We have no issue with who the Oilers got in return today. O’Sullivan and Kotalik are fine. Whatever. It’s who they didn’t get (anyone of note) and who left town (#26) — that is the problem.

It’s now crystal clear that it is known around the league to avoid E-Town until there is a regime change. If these are the best moves possible on a day where Morris went to Toronto, Jokinen went to Calgary and the Ducks emptied their roster of role players for basically nothing, then something needs to change.

And fast.

FMNF

Librarian Mike wrote:

Jack “FMNF” Bauer wrote:

Mactavish is on cbcsports.ca live webcast
    I wonder what would make MacT cry.

tears of joy:
    Reddox – Stortini – Peterson

bingofuel wrote:

@ Wanye Gretz
    Don’t make bingofuel slap a bitch…

Can you slap a hail of bullets?

*loads M-16 with bullets all shaped like Erik Cole*

jeanshorts wrote:

What does Robin Brownlee know anyway. It’s not like he’s some kind of professional sports journalist with inside information.
    DIS-CREDIT-ED!

LOL I believe Brownlee has been saying this exact move would occur for weeks now…

Great deadline coverage Nation. I like it! It's amazing how much different this site has gotten in one year

@Wanye

I came here to see your reaction. Literally just for that and you did not disappoint. lolz

@ Nitpick guy:

He did? My mistake. Quick question: Is this about Erik Cole? Thought not.

GSC wrote:

It looks like he’s about to cry in his interview on the Oilers’ website.

THEY MADE ERIK COLE CRY???

I'm going to go and start a website devoted to the Oilers where people can come on and say exactly what they think and can complain all they want and the corporate fat cats on Kingsway Avenue will have no choice but to hear the voice of the fans and th-

*cut off by bingofuel who loads Wanye into his pile of coats with a triple dose of horse tranquilizers*

Patty O = $2,925,000 cap hit over 3 years
    62GP 14G 23A 37PTS
    Ales Kotalik = $2,333,333 UFA at the end of the year
    56GP 13G 19A 32PTS

So we trade Cole(a UFA) for a first line capable LW and a RW to take his place on the 2nd line. It's true that Cole could bang and crash and still score goals, but we've received a very nice package for him.

I like this trade

• I'm a Scientist!

What does Robin Brownlee know anyway. It's not like he's some kind of professional sports journalist with inside information.

DIS-CREDIT-ED!

Wanye Gretz wrote:

Well played GSC. Cole was the best Oiler on the ice last night. Smashing players left and right, scoring goals, writing the great American novel while sitting on the bench…..

As a fellow American of Colesie (a Canadian at heart, mind you), it sucks that he was only around for 60-odd games. Not only does it suck, it also blows.

It looks like he's about to cry in his interview on the Oilers' website. Ugh…another guy who wanted to stay and we couldn't make accomodations. Thanks again for signing fat boy, Kevin Lowe.

GSC wrote:

It’s a shame, he was a true power forward who took forever to get on track thanks to MacT putting him on the wrong side and then relegating him to a bottom 6 role where he has no business playing. But once he got going, as we saw, he’s a difference maker.
    FMNF.

• I'm a Scientist!

Kotalik is not smaller or softer then Erik Cole and Sully will surprise you. He's soft in the same vain as Ales Hemsky is soft and that won't hurt you.

Big winners for sure.

@ Wanye Gretz:
    You should use that to justify everything, Wanye.

"Bobby Orr was a more valuable player than Gretzky. You know why? Erik Cole!"

or

"Shiraz is not as good as Merlot. Know why? Erik Cole!"

I think I'm onto something.

P.S. FMNF

• I'm a Scientist!

I, too, will miss Colesie. I wish the Oilers could've re-signed him, but thanks to that fat ass Penner and the $4.25 MIL he eats up (along with his double cheeseburgers) the brass wasn't going to cough up the salary.

It's a shame, he was a true power forward who took forever to get on track thanks to MacT putting him on the wrong side and then relegating him to a bottom 6 role where he has no business playing. But once he got going, as we saw, he's a difference maker. Sure, the players coming in are decent, but we're that much less physical and still haven't solved our faceoff woes or lack of a shutdown defenceman.

All in all, a good day for Tambellini getting something for a soon-to-be UFA, but it's also bittersweet when you think about it.

FMNF.

The Towel Boy wrote:

It’s ok Wanye. It’s ooooookaaaaayyy…shhhhhh…there there….
    *holds Wanye tightly and pats on head, intermittently softly stroking hair*

NO WAY!

PS I am destroying you in the draft TB despite the fact you have made seven trades and I haven't made one.

Know why?