More talk on texting

katz22

After watching and listening to Kevin Lowe’s comments last night, it is clear to me that change within the organization is coming. The Oilers played one of their better games of the season last night, yet they still lost, and coupled with the Blues and Ducks’ victories, it is clear that the off-season will start April 12th for the Oilers, and that the changes will follow soon after.

Lowe didn’t state once that his coach would be here next year. He didn’t say he wouldn’t be, but the fact there was no, “Craig will be here without a doubt”, type statement to me it is clear that there will be a change behind the bench.

Lowe’s opening statement actually made a lot of sense

“Daryl is an extremely passionate and emotional about the game. He said he was extremely disappointed and somewhat frustrated that we are in the middle of a playoff race and all the discussion and the focus was on the future of our head coach. He found that odd and he wanted to suppress that once and for all.”

The Owner cares about the team. We know that. He has admitted he is a true fan, and will continue to be one. He is also very respectful of both Lowe and MacTavish. I can understand if he was pissed that before another must win game, the talk was about whether the coach would be here next year or not and not the actual game. That is not the message the host broadcaster should be saying. Fine. Understandable.

The organization will not drag their coach through the mud. They won’t have him be Dead Coach Walking for the final four games of the season. I get that. We all know there has to be a change behind the bench, but Katz wants his coach to leave with some dignity. The problem is that one simple text has now thrown more attention on the coaching situation than ever before. His one sentence text did the exact opposite of what he wanted; reduce the focus on MacTavish.

Most of us have regretted sending that drunken, late-night text to an ex. At one in the morning it seems like a great idea, but the next day when she thinks you are back together and making you breakfast, you slap yourself muttering…”What was I thinking?” Texting, while convenient, allows many of us to say things too quickly, especially guys. The consequences of our actions are an after thought, or most times we don’t even calculate what they will be.

This is what happened to Katz. It just confirms he is human like the rest of us.

The difference is when we send a ill-advised late night text it effects one or two, or maybe three people on a good night..haha. Katz’s text resonates across an entire city; a city that is frustrated and fed up with another spring without playoffs. Of course the fans and media are going to talk about the coach’s future. It is a hot topic and one that was, in fact, brought to light by MacTavish himself earlier this week.

The winds of change are in the air, and while every player, coach, manager and owner has to believe they can still get to the dance, the fact is they won’t. No one in Edmonton wants their playoff fix to come solely from other cities and through the TV. Even those who oppose a new rink get caught up with playoff fever when it grips a city.

I respect that Mr. Katz didn’t want his coach to suffer through talk about his future while the team still has a mathematical chance of making the postseason. Having a boss that wants to shelter an employee is refreshing, but his text backfired.

Now, after another loss, all the focus will be on change

And there will be changes. I will be stunned if MacTavish doesn’t resign. Every level of the organization will be evaluated this summer, and there will be changes in the scouting department, coaching and on the ice. Their scouting needs to improve. A new voice is needed behind the bench, and some veterans and even a youngster or two will be moved.

It is inevitable, especially when you are one of the highest spending teams, but have missed the playoffs three years running. If the owner doesn’t want it talked about until the team is officially eliminated, that shows he isn’t a quitter, however, as we have all experienced ourselves, an ill-timed text can fuel a fire much quicker than an actual conversation.

• David S

swany wrote:

Do we all really care who the coach is if Mact comes back and the Oil are in the top 4 next year will there be anybody calling for his head, on the other side what if we get a new coach and the results are the same do we start wanting his head? Like I said i don’t care if Greor is the coach as long as we win.

Gregor as coach of the Oilers. THAT would be interesting. Hmmm…

• FlamesFan

Archaeologuy wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote:

AlBundy wrote:
    2. KLOWE press conference. Wow, that was something else, he looked like a dear in the headlights. He said nothing really.
    And now we all know who Bundy has a crush on – “dear” Kevin Lowe
    Willis, you wield grammar and syntax like a knife in the dark back alleys of Oilers Nation.

loooooool

• Archaeologuy

Jonathan Willis wrote:

AlBundy wrote:
    And now we all know who Bundy has a crush on – “dear” Kevin Lowe

• Sandra

@ AlBundy:
    Right on the money, mow the question for the offseason on April 12. DOes Bob get the promotion to Rods job or do they get a new voice out of Toronto? and Dan Tencer? I guess there are other radio stations in edm, maybe 1260? or does he go TV? It was nice to finally have them on 'Our" (the fans)side for a change and not say MacT is a great coach with 20% responsibility to motivate the players.

• As another disappointing season wraps up we look ahead to what will surely be the biggest summer of change in the OilersNation in a long time. If you don’t believe me, ask Brownlee, we exchanged texts this morning.

Biggest summer of change since 2006 – when Pronger, Dvorak, Peca, Spacek, Samsonov, Ulanov, Tarnstrom and Conklin all left town?

Or since 2007, which saw the departure of Sykora, Lupul, Tjarnqvist, Smith, Nedved, Hejda, Winchester and Markkanen following the trade deadline departures of Smyth and Bergeron?

Or since last summer, where Stoll, Pitkanen, Reasoner, Glencross, Sanderson, Torres and Greene all departed?

Let's face it – the problems with the Oilers haven't been caused by a lack of change. And this would need to be a very busy summer to overshadow the previous three.

The problems have been caused by a) developing youth and b) the wrong kind of change more than anything else.

• swany

Do we all really care who the coach is if Mact comes back and the Oil are in the top 4 next year will there be anybody calling for his head, on the other side what if we get a new coach and the results are the same do we start wanting his head? Like I said i don't care if Greor is the coach as long as we win.

• AlBundy

Great piece JG. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. the pregame show that Bob does. Bob is an employee of Katz right? So if Katz says to shut up about MacT, he has to do it. The pregame show I think did not have caller call in it was just Bob and Dan. Thus, the owner who pays Bob and Dan told them to shut up cause they are the ones who brought this up. Why Katz would agree to let Bob read his text on air makes no sense unless Katz thinks fans will actually listen and believe him, NO WAY as per all the feedback. Katz is learning a lesson on owning a hockey team that underperforms.

3. Tambo, does anyone really know what the structure is. I feel sorry for him, I think he is a good hockey man but he is being run over by KLOWE.

4. Bob MacKenzie on the morning show on 1260 TEAM said it is stated around the league that there are problems in the dressing room between the veterans and the young players. WOW, this is known around the league??????
    This CANNOT be good but might explain why they play the way they do.

5. If this is true, I believe the Captain has to take 90%+ responsibility for this. Not a good situation.

6. I still can't believe the dressing issue is known around the league.

7. Do Brian Burke's comments now seem that far out of line?

What a day. What is lost is the game. Oil played well but are not out of it. Rest Roli and let's see what the kid's got, do you agree?

Sad day from a guy who dumped his girlfriend to watch the Flyers get destroyed by the Oilers and win the Cup, again.

• swany

Gregor I sent this to Bryn this morning, I think Katz reacted the way he did because after all the statment from our G.M. that Mact wasn't going anywhere, the statments from Lowe that Mact was safe, all the Oilers brass telling everyone to get over it that didn't happen. Katz thought that one statment from him reafferming what Tambelli, and Lowe already have said would put this to rest. Katz was right in his assesment because THEY won't fire him so it was safe for him to say Mact isn't going anywhere (until he resigns).

• Rick

The "biggest summer of change" line is starting to ring as hollow as the "this is the year we take a step forward" line trotted out each October.

It's been used 3 springs in a row.

• Archaeologuy

I want to believe you Gregor, but I just started on some new medicine I got from a Rexall Pharmacy and every time I think about who will coach the team my ears start to bleed. So instead of questioning the team anymore I will simply watch the games and buy the paraphenalia. Whenever I have an original thought I will check with Dan Tencer or whomever is posting on the Oiler's official website and if it doesnt fit I will forget all about it.

And when the Oilers have won their 5th straight division title with an 82-0 record I will. Until then my ears can continue to bleed.

• mjsh

I agree that Mac T will resign. I bet this has been his most frustrating season ever. A team that looks like it has talent but not enough effort and far too many mistakes. Turnovers, bad line changes, things that should rarely happen, happen frequently with the Oilers.

Lack of effort, mental mistakes are not products of bad coaching but products of players who do not have their head or heart in their jobs. I am a sales manager in a car dealership who has to deal with staff who are not motivated on a daily basis. Sometimes the only answer is to change the staff.

• Ogden Brother

Gregory, I'm in next year mode so I want to throw out a few names that seem like they may be availble, that could fit/help the team… if you could humour me and let me know if you think any of them have a chance…

Horton
    Vokoun
    J Staal
    Bergeron (boston)

And as long shots

Spezza
    Heatly
    Kovalchuk

For UFA's and a one year band aid

Guerin

tx's

• Rob

You have this way of wording things that makes me a little more relaxed in a tense situation. Good on you Gregor!.

What youngsters do you think will be traded this summer?