Oh snap, Puffy!

comrie-home

Well, well, well. What do we have here? Methinks that a certain booze addled, unemployable internet sensation hath correctly predicted something occurring — even though people who actually know stuff vehemently disagreed with us and called us names in the process.

We talked to Brownlee last night as he was hard at work using actual connections and journalisticity to talk to Comrie himself and find out the real deal long in advance of today’s signing.

“Now listen here you witless bastard,” Brownlee helpfully began, “I don’t know how an idiot like you managed to actually scoop the herd on this story but let me give you a piece of advice. Now that it turns out you are right — do yourself a favor and don’t gloat. Professionals don’t need to say I told you so and if you want to be taken seriously neither can you. Just report the facts, say it will be interesting and leave it be.”

Hmm.

How about no?

For those of you who don’t need or don’t care for a recap of our correctedness – here is a recap.

We said, on Twitter: “I’m going to throw this out because I was told it by a trustworthy dude. Rumors of Comrie signing to a 1 yr deal at 1.3 with the Oil. WTF?” — 1:03 PM Aug 27th

Then we posted about it on the Nation.

The response from real media folk was unanimous.

Matheson said: “It may be the hottest rumour on Internet sites, but forget about Mike Comrie and the Edmonton Oilers kissing and making up.”

David Staples also chimed in: “Last Thursday, a writer, who goes only by a pen name, Wanye Gretz, reported on Oilers Nation, a hockey blog, information from an unnamed source that Oilers owner Daryl Katz was trying to sign up Mike Comrie.”

And for some reason, Pedro felt the need to comment with a single sentence as the 201nd comment on our initial story:
Yay #200!

Well, we won’t use our massive correctness as a platform to yell back at people who rip on us, or poke fun at institutions of journalism. But we will say this:

“We told you so.”

*lights cigarette and lies contented in bed next to the correct rumor prediction, who looks appropriately pleasured*

Mike Comrie is an Oiler. No this isn’t an alternate dimension, no it isn’t some sort of internet tomfoolery nor a joke Katz is playing on all of us.

So be it, we for one welcome the return of our diminutive overlord. Whatever demons that roosted when Comrie left town will now hopefully depart for other cities in the NHL. If Comrie can return and play well in Edmonton, with its snowy winters, snowy summers and 400 foot gold statue in tribute to Snowy — that dog from Tintin — then anyone can play here. And we welcome this shift in attitude.

Sweet.

• I'm a Scientist!

David S wrote:

You know that’s a textbook definition of the word “troll”, right?

Jebus! You weren't kidding!

Straight from Encarta "online intransitive verb to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully designed incorrect statements"

Good on David…whoda thunk it?

• I'm a Scientist!

I hope this gets moved to a blog!

What is the deal with Terry Jones? Why is he so hell bent on certain players and Katz? This mornings SUN article crosses the line in saying fans will BOO Comrie. Not only is that inaccurate it is inciting the fans, much like he did with Poti. His other slant in that shows itself over and over again is the 'Poor me Katz will not give me an interview'. Jones figures Katz, aside from putting up more money than we can possibly fathom to buy the OIL, should make himself readily available at Jones beckon call for interviews. With Katz being reclusive, Jones will not drop it. I think the bitterness came when the Oilers moved the press parking further away.

• I'm a Scientist!

DK0 wrote:

They have the entire game up on the oilers site now. Anyone find the Eberle 2nd goal? its gotta be somewhere around the 1:30-1:45 mark….
    hxxp://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=46113

Finally found it. fast forward to 1:59:00 and its about 10 seconds later. wish there was a better angle

• I'm a Scientist!

BigE57 wrote:

Why would Marleau waive his no trade clause to go from a so-called contender to a team that might battle for a playoff spot.

1. Its obvious San Jose is trying to dump him. Why stay?
    2. His wife and her fam are from Killa Cali.
    3. Marleau doesn't seem to be one for playing in high-pressure markets in Canada.
    4. Still gets to frequent the beach.
    5. His old GM Dean Lombardi is now in LA

• I'm a Scientist!

jeanshorts wrote:

encer should probably just stick to radio. Those awkward nods to the camera as Rod The Bod is talking are hilariously creepy.

Ever watch Kevin Quinn? Terrible.

• I'm a Scientist!

WTF wrote:

His other slant in that shows itself over and over again is the ‘Poor me Katz will not give me an interview’. Jones figures Katz, aside from putting up more money than we can possibly fathom to buy the OIL, should make himself readily available at Jones beckon call for interviews.

Give the man a cigar.

• I'm a Scientist!

@ WTF:
    So why in the world would management make the decision to add another small, soft forward

This is the first part I that pissed me off. Comrie isn't soft.

Jones like other media out there, like to stir the pot. He is bitter that he never got the scoop. I noticed a couple times that his writings are writen with too much bias.

• I'm a Scientist!

jeff wrote:

I noticed a couple times that his writings are writen with too much bias.

Sometimes Jonesey's asked to report coverage on an event, sometimes he's asked to write opinion pieces instead. It's not always obvious which one he's doing, but his latest on Comrie is obviously an opinion piece.

• I'm a Scientist!

All i can say is Brownlee is my go to guy! He is ALWAYS right! I am sticking to that! Okay……Gregor has his days too……i think it's information overload…..my head hurts……..who plays on the first line….what about the 2nd line….are the Oilers going to be able to score…..is Penner ready to play EVERY night….okay….take a deep breath Big Poppa….everything will become clear soon…..LOL

• I'm a Scientist!

Robin Brownlee wrote:

onehitwonder wrote:
    Brownlee will be forced to make you his protoge, and refer to you as Wanyeson.
    No. I’ll be forced to bury my size 13 in Wanye’s ass if he doesn’t stop grinning and finish washing my SUV.

so after he's done washing your SUV and becomes your protege, can I wash his SUV to be his protege?

• I'm a Scientist!

Robin Brownlee wrote:

WTF wrote:
    Give the man a cigar.

Katz does not give interviews until it is show time, but will text back and forth in between charter jet travels, maybe Terry Jones needs to become a facebook friend with Batman.