Oilers vs. Blackhawks Highlights: One-Sided

Chicago Blackhawks: 5

Edmonton Oilers: 2

Outside of a single one minute interval in the second period, the Oilers were held off the scoresheet.  They were outshot 47-14, as in addition to their usual problems they were blessed with an AHL defence corps.  Taylor Chorney led the way with a minus-3 rating. 

    • Moop

      Positive, you say? Well how about this: our new #2 defenceman, Jason Strudwick, is off to a great start in his top-pairing role. He was +1 tonight!

      …#2 defenceman…Jason Strudwick…

      Hmmmm, I'm crying, but blood is coming out. Odd.

    • Beer + Wings

      He did that thing the Oilers goalies always do, where they keep us in the game by standing on their head for about half the game, then when they realize that the team in front of them is common trash and give up to blend in with the crowd, and take the rest of the game off

  • Moop

    Ooooh I have a question for you, Mr. Willis. What did you think of the Visnovsky trade? I'm curious to see what someone who understands all this EVG/60 and quality of competition witchcraft thinks of Ryan Whitney.

    • Beer + Wings

      I knew it!!!

      Visnovskys goals against while on the ice against 2nd line or better is the reason my crops won't grow!!!!!

      Burn him!!!!!

      Exclamation points!!!!

  • Man. Comrie was a healthy scratch because the coaches wanted to assess the new AHL'ers. I don't even know what to think about this team any more. Scratch a proven NHL player who can score for the next street trash the wind blows in.

    I'll watch the games to see how guys like Mike and Sam do, but its gonna be a rough sled for the rest of the year. Chuck in a bunch of 1's and 2's if you must, but dear lord up above ice the best team you can with what you've got.

    • Lofty

      The worst thing this team can do is win some games. I have decided to accept the fact they will probably not win another game this season and am betting the farm against them on Sports Select.

      Last night I took the over and Chicago + Kentucky in college basketball. Cash money.

    • Ender

      Let me get this right: With zero hope of playoffs you're still concerned about how we do against the Blackhawks? This is EXACTLY the time of year that you sit proven guys and audition for next year.

      Anyone on the edge of their seat shouting at the games right now is delusional.

      The games in which we hit the ice with something to prove went by us…

  • Yikes. Just saw this on Puck Daddy;

    "So those are some good vibes … until Staios helps turn the Flames into conference contenders, of course."

    Clearly Greg Wyshynski thinks it's 2002.

    He also thinks Toskola is an upgrade for the Flames as a backup. The fact that he used "Toskola" and "Upgrade" in the same sentence makes me wonder if he's ever actually watched a game of hockey before.

  • Ooooh I have a question for you, Mr. Willis. What did you think of the Visnovsky trade? I'm curious to see what someone who understands all this EVG/60 and quality of competition witchcraft thinks of Ryan Whitney.

    Lubomir Visnovsky is a far better defenceman than Ryan Whitney, right now, IMO.

    Both have offence – Whitney may even have a slight edge – but Whitney's also been sheltered his entire career and he's never exactly come out ahead. Essentially, he's a power play point man who can play on the second pairing without hurting his team too badly.

      • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

        I really don't know why you keep coming to the conclusion that Whitney = Grebs

        Grebs BEST season PPG wise is essentially the same as Whitney's career average, and Whitney isn't near as volitile defensively as Grebs.

        Again, I'm not a huge Whitney fan but Whitney >>>>>>> Grebs.

        • Ender

          Why do I keep saying they're esentially a saw-off? Let's look at the comparison you asked for:

          Age: Grebs, 26 : Whitney, 27
          very slight advantage Grebs

          Size: Grebs, 6'0" 209lb, : Whitney 6'3" 210lb
          very slight advantage Whitney

          Total Points Per Game: Grebs, 0.438 (7-14-21 in 48) : Whitney, 0.452 (4-24-28 in 62)
          very slight advantage Whitney

          Scoring Ability: Grebs, s% 15.9% : Whitney, 3.7%
          advantage Grebs

          TOI: Grebs, 21:44 : Whitney, 24:33
          slight advantage Whitney

          Salary: Grebs, $3.15M : Whitney, $4M
          advantage Grebs

          Injury History: Grebs, wrist and knee injuries : Whitney, chronic foot problems
          hard to say who’s fully recovered; let’s call it a wash

          Defensive Liability: I’ll just quote James O'Brien @ ProHockeyTalk
          Whitney is prolific when it comes to coughing up backbreaking turnovers. In the past three seasons, Whitney has averaged 65 with a whopping 91 in the 07-08 season (Visnovsky averaged 46 per year on lesser teams).
          advantage Grebs

          Did I miss anything? I’d say they’re pretty much tit-for-tat, but feel free to tell me why you disagree.

          • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

            1. You're cherry picking one year of stats.

            2. For some reason NHL.com keeps freezing up, so I can't get the number. But I think it's safe to assume that Grebs turnover numbers aren't that good either…especially his 5 star turnovers.

    • Chaz

      I don't like the Lubo trade. I understand the intention to get younger and cheaper, but I think this one will come back to haunt us. Having a veteran presence on D like Lubo is a must for a young team IMO. If they don't have someone to QB the PP and have a guy with a good outlet pass, then how will a young team ever learn how to compete in the show?

      I appreciate that maybe Tambo would have preferred sending out Souray so was forced a bit into this deal, but I still don't like it. Lubo is pure skill and I think will play well into his later years.

      Also, did anyone hear his exit interview? He said he loved Edmonton about 10 times. ~Maybe he was still peaking on the Advil…

      That's it, I'm moving to Anaheim….

  • Ender

    I especially like how Terry Jones put it today:

    As a straight-up, old-fashioned hockey trade, no general manager in his right mind would ever make such a dumb deal as Lubomir Visnovsky, Steve Staios and Denis Grebeshkov for Ryan Whitney, Aaron Johnson, a second-round pick, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

    As one big hockey trade, it simply stinks.

    • Ender

      As one big salary dump from a team that's comfortable with losing, it doesn't smell as bad.

      Terry's comments make sense if we are pushing for a playoff spot. Has nobody come to grips with the idea that the 30th place Oilers have to sell low?

      I can't believe the fans and media actually think that Vis (who I love but 5.6 cap hit is too much when you're 30th), Staios, and Grebs value are high after 2 years of garbage from this team.

      If you're dealing with a 30th place team, it's a buyer's market.

      If it were that deal or nothing, which would you choose? Terry might choose "nothing" as long as he can reserve the right to bitch about the fact Tambo did nothing.

      • DougWeightProblem

        Good perspective. If anyone thinks Lubo is going to help this crap team for the next 2-3 years (or longer) at an overpriced salary they're kidding themselves. This is what rebuilding means … if you don't like it jump off the bandwagon.

        • Cant help but disagree with this evaluation completely.

          Rebuilding does not now, nor will it ever, mean getting rid of assets for the sake of paying less money. That isnt rebuilding, that's only done when teams cant make payroll.

          Rebuilding might end up shedding expensive contracts, but the end goal is to gain other assets that will help the club in the future.

          Yes, the Oil gained 1 young(ish) defenseman in Ryan Whitney. They also shipped out 1 young(er) defenseman in Grebeshkov. So in terms of youth that might develop in the near future we are even. Albeit minus 1 top end defenseman.

          I cant help but think that the team is relatively just as bad as it was 2 days ago (last place in a group of 30) but minus 1 top end defenseman, who was not OVER paid but merely HIGHLY paid.

      • Mike Krushelnyski

        He's not, actually. Ender just took one quote completely out of context from the whole article, which basically said that it sucks that we had to make these moves, but they were necessary to allow some wiggle room under the cap.

        I agree that Anaheim got the better player today, but in 2013 I'm sure we're going to happier paying 30 year old Ryan Whitney $4M than paying 36 year old Vis $5.6M.

    • BarryS

      Since when has Terry Jones been relavent since about 1980? From the comment it seems Terry still thinks we can make the playoffs this year. Also, where did he get the idea these were hockey trades? These were salary dumps to begin again.

    • Ender you missed the next line of his article that says as follows:

      The worst part is that GM Steve Tambellini must be applauded for his fine work. He went into the trade deadline as a GM who couldn't do any general managing and gave himself some wiggle room to now proceed with a chance to do so.

      The whole point of the article was to say that from a hockey standpoint the deals stink but that they are just part of what has to be done.

      I tend to think that the Lubo deal was a bad one and it makes the Grebs deal worse than I thought originally. I was OK with trading Grebs for picks as part of a cash purge. When they took back Whitney (a wash with grebs for longer term and more money) for Lubo I wasn't too wild about it. I'm sure there was more of a market for Lubo than this and this couldn't have been the best deal out there.

  • papaburgundy

    Man, what a beatdown the Oilers took last night but I am not the least bit surprised as I expected this to happen. The Oilers showed again they are not good enought to compete with a team like Chicago. The Blackhawks are such a joy to watch and they move the puck like we can only dream the Oilers could. I say just play the all your AHLers and let the betting community make some money off Oiler losses.

  • Original Ogden Brother wrote:

    Again, I'm not a huge Whitney fan but Whitney >>>>>>> Grebs.

    I don't think that's right, particularly adding in Whitney's chronic injury problems.

    Whitney's better offensively right now, probably a little worse defensively and slightly more expensive.

    He's a slightly better but very comparable player with more health problems, not a vastly superior defenceman.

    • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

      I don't know man, Taking into account the amount of 5 star giveaways in front of his own net, it's pretty hard to phathom Whitney being slitly worse defensivly then Grebs.

  • Diunysius Petavius:

    Thats why Terry writes B.S from a 10 by 12 office and Tambo is a general manager of the Oilers.

    Leaving aside the fact that those probably aren't the exact reasons why, what has Steve Tambellini done in his time as general manager that makes you think he's qualified for the job?

    • I believe he is qualified. Given the team and contracts he took over, there isn't much he can/could do. I am willing to give him until next season to make my judgement.

      What makes you think he isn't qualified or shouldn't have his job?

      • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

        The team he took over?

        He took over a 9th place team that was widely considerd one of the up and coming teams in the leauge.

        It's now a 30th place team and the laughing stock of the league.

        • Coppperhead

          I am all for discussion and debate. But I wish everyone would use consistent statistics.

          When you say 9th you mean 9th in the West. So don't say 30th in the next sentence. Say 15th.

          Or if you prefer…we were a 17-18th place team and are now 30th. Not quite the same bite for your argument though =(

          Also does anyone really believe that even relatively healthy this team would be 30th? The Oilers have missed 3 key pieces for large chunks of the year. Hemsky, Khabibulin and Souray would all contribute to more wins.

  • Ender

    @ everyone who disagrees with the "One-Big-Trade" breakdown I posted from Jones

    The thing is, it didn't have to be like that. It wasn't one big trade where you had to take the bad with the good. There were three separate deals, and you had the choice to do any or none of them. The Staios trade optics are poor, but I understand the logic and can get onside with why we did that. I can almost understand the Grebeshkov-for-a-second if Tambo does something good with the pick and if the decision had been made not to extend a qualifying offer. Those two deals, I can work with. But the third one makes no sense, and I can't understand why Tambo felt compelled to bring back an average defenseman in exchange for a good one when he already had an average defensman that didn't fit his plans for less money.

    Edit: Yes, Arch, it was you.
    Archaeologuy wrote:

    Visnovsky's contract wasnt bad. He was the only D-Man on the team that was actually earning his paycheck. The other contracts were bad, his was just expensive. There is a difference.

    I wholeheartedly agree.

  • Mike Krushelnyski

    Since no one seems interested in actually reading the article before trashing it, I thought this quote might help everyone understand the real point of it. I'm anything but a Terry Jones fan, but at least attack his actual arguments, not some out of context quote.

    "As one big hockey trade, it simply stinks.

    The worst part is that GM Steve Tambellini must be applauded for his fine work.

    He went into the trade deadline as a GM who couldn’t do any general managing and gave himself some wiggle room to now move forward with a chance to do so.

    No. 1, he cleared cap space.

    Today Tambellini is no longer a GM wearing handcuffs. He’s still got a lot of bad contracts on his hands with veteran core players who aren’t worth the money and couldn’t be moved no matter how much the Oilers were willing to be hosed."

  • Ender

    Original Ogden Brother wrote:

    1. You're cherry picking one year of stats.

    Cherry-picking stats? Are you kidding me? I'm using stats from this year, the one that I would think would most realistically display their skill set right now. I would think using stats from any year other than this one would constitute cherry-picking. Which year do you think we should use?

    • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

      Yes, you are cherry picking. Taking one year of stats to derive ability when their are multiple years available is cherry picking.

      Or Does Henrik Sedin = Sidney Crosby? and Thomas Plakanec = Ryan Getzlaf?

      • Ender

        If you want to build an argument that Whitney is a much superior player to Grebeshkov and want to use this years stats in conjunction with last years, I'd be prepared to look at your case. If you're going back to 07-08, though, I'd argue the players they were then aren't accurately representing the players today.

        • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

          I'm not saying he's much superior, I'm saying he's better. To put it in some type of context I'd say:

          Whitney – 7

          Gilbert 6.5

          Grebs – 5.5

          My main beef with Grebs (and the main reason I think Whitney is better) is from Grebs's volitility. I think we'll find Whitney to be a very similar Dman to Gilbert in style, only Slighly better. Whitney's off years are roughly Gilberts on years and Whitney seems to consistantly put up years = to Gilberts good years.

          I'd bet Whitney will be in the doghouse here within 12 months because of who he was traded for, and because of his soft play…magnified by not having a proper defense around him.

  • Red Deerian Convert

    @ Original Ogden Brother

    Remember that this team had too many players to begin with, and Tambo had to whittle that down. He went spending way too much for khabibulin but that recognized a need. The reason he didn't fill those holes is because he thought that players like brule, stone, etc. could fill them (obviously they didn't). Give him a break until next year until we can really see what he can do to this roster.

    PS: We haven't even seen Whitney play for this club so we cant really be judging yet.

    • whether or not Whitney will be fine isnt the issue. The issue is that if the goal was to add young and developing talent on the blue-line then the Oilers are in the same place today as they were before they traded Grebeshkov except now they dont have Lubo.

        • Ender

          Lubo ($5.6M) + Grebs ($3.15M) – Whitney ($4M) = approx. $4.75M in cap space.

          Don't forget, though, that we can't blow it all on Jagr. You sent out 2 d-men and only brought one back, so you need to spend some or all of that space replacing the d-man you lost. How good you need him to be will determine how much of that space you use up.

          • Zamboni Driver

            Don't forget, though, that we can't blow it all on Jagr.

            They ab-so-frickin-lutely can…this crew?

            If they want Jagr (Worst. Idea. Ever. – well no, "Hey Shawn, how about seven mil?" was worse) – there's no chance he comes for much less than $5 mil. I think he's making 10 million tax free in Russia!

    • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

      "The reason he didn't fill those holes is because he thought that players like brule, stone, etc. could fill them"

      And he deserves critism for that, a big part of his job is talent evaluation.

      "We haven't even seen Whitney play for this club so we cant really be judging yet."

      Of course we can, the guys a 5+ year NHL vet.

  • DougWeightProblem

    Everyone is comparing Grebs and Whitney. They're two VERY different players. While both were first rounders in their respective years, Whitney is bigger and more physical (which we need) and Grebs is soft and often disinterested, not to mention wildly inconsistent. Whitney will bring stability back there, and could still improve given more responsiblity like he had in Pittsburgh. Grebeshkov takes two steps forward and three back every year, and cannot be counted on to improve. There's NO way I take Grebs (who will likely get 3.5 to 4.0 from Nashville as an RFA) over Whitney. Plus, the trade was Vishnovsky for Whitney. Why compare Whitney and Grebeshkov at all? Arrghhhhhh!

    Sweet! #69

  • Ender

    Original Ogden Brother wrote:

    I'm not saying he's much superior, I'm saying he's better. To put it in some type of context I'd say:

    Whitney – 7

    Gilbert 6.5

    Grebs – 5.5

    What are these numbers you're using? Are you just making them up?

    Original Ogden Brother wrote:

    I think we'll find Whitney to be a very similar Dman to Gilbert in style, only Slighly better.

    I don't think so, but I'd love the opportunity to review your analysis showing this to be true.

    Original Ogden Brother wrote:

    I'd bet Whitney will be in the doghouse here within 12 months because of who he was traded for, and because of his soft play…magnified by not having a proper defense around him.

    I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. His stay in the doghouse might even be earned by then.

    • OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

      "What are these numbers you're using? Are you just making them up?"

      That is how I would grade the three. ie Witney>Gilbert>>Grebs

      "I don't think so, but I'd love the opportunity to review your analysis showing this to be true."

      My analysis comes from watching them play, looking at their numbers and reading what others think of Whitney.

      In my mind both are decent size but don't use it, both are average to slightly below average defensively…though would both probably look alot better playing with a defensivly responsible partner, both are above average offensively, good passers, good 2nd PP guys.

      In other words I think they are similar only Whitney is a slight upgrade… to give a comparison I'd say AO and Kovalchuk are similar only AO is better.

  • Coppperhead

    What I dont understand, is why did Brule, Cogliano, and Pisani, 3 of our best forwards. only play 9-12 minutes last night?

    Just to get the younger guys experience?