Keegan Lowe is "on the radar" for NHL teams today. Graded as a solid defender whose play improved a great deal, young Lowe is one of several kids with Oilers connections available today.
David Musil (in photo) is the highest ranked player with a direct connection to the Edmonton Oilers. His initial scouting report (the one we read last summer) suggested more offense and ranked him in or near the top 10. Used primarily in a shutdown role, Musil didn’t deliver much offense and fell down the draft charts. He is currently available, although Musil will probably go early in today’s draft. International Scouting Services tells us he’s the best stay-at-home defender in the draft (they ranked him 27th overall) and says "he is a reliable, hard working defender who doesn’t need to show off to get the job done." If he’s anything like his father, Musil will be worth the 31st overall selection. 6.03, 200 and has a nasty edge.
Keegan Lowe (in photo at the top of this post) is ranked #98 by ISS and they use words like safe, reliable and dependable for his scouting report too. Lowe’s playing style is so similar to his Dad’s that old timers like me do a double take on first viewing the younger Lowe.
Dillon Simpson is Craig’s boy, and ISS says he’s the 122nd best prospect in the draft and is a defenseman with a nice range of skills. He closes gaps well and is a fine skater (!!!!!!).
The Edmonton Oilers should have interest in all three prospects. Edmonton will probably draft at least two or three defenders today and getting one or two of these fellows would definitely help fill the shelf in an area of need. It’s a tough situation for everyone, and it might be better if the organization avoids them altogether. Having said that, should Stu MacGregor and the scouting staff decide any of them are the best player available, here’s hoping they grab the mic and announce a famous hockey name without hesitation.
Nation Radio hits the airwaves today at noon on Team 1260. A busy show that will feature:
- Jason Gregor from Team 1260, Oilers Nation and jasongregor.com. He’s at the draft, and has been supplying us with excellent information (along with Robin Brownlee). We’ll talk about the selections, Ryan Smyth and what is shaping up as a huge weekend for Steve Tambellini.
- Dustin Nielson from Team 1260’s Nielson and Chase. Dusty’s mock was pretty stellar, we’ll avoid asking him any questions about that 🙂 and stick to the day at hand. Nielson is all over the draft proceedings and he’ll give us insight into some of the major stories on the floor.
- Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun has been covering the Oilers entry drafts for decades and always brings a chuckle or two along with good information.
- Corey Graham from Team 1260’s Sports Night Live and Oil Kings PBP man. We’ll talk about a strong draft for the WHL and have a closer look at RNH’s immediate future.
- Matt Bugg from dobber hockey and a guy who can deliver information on even the most obscure prospects. We’ll rely heavily on him for information on the later picks.
- Mark Napier, former Oiler and a big time prospect in his draft year will pass along some good Oiler stories from back in the day and talk about what he’s up to these days.
We’ll also give away the Oilers jersey with RNH on the back to the winner of our top 10 contest. I haven’t reviewed all of them yet, but will have a winner for you between noon and two this afternoon. Emails are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org and please send your questions and comments.