Sam Gagner’s broken jaw added to RNH’s recovery puts the Oilers in a big hole. How does this week look now? Click through and see.
TRANSACTIONS BEFORE THE GAGNER INJURY
I thought the Oilers might IR Corey Potter, Denis Grebeshkov and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to start things, and then go into full cut down mode:
- Return Darnell Nurse and Jujhar Khaira to their junior teams.
- Demote to OKC G Richard Bachman.
- Sign G Ty Rimmer and send him to Barons camp.
- Send down Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Brad Hunt and Taylor Fedun.
- Send down Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Andrew Miller, Ryan Martindale, Linus Omark, Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Pitlick.
OPENING NIGHT 23 MAN ROSTER AFTER THE GAGNER INJURY
- Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarberta
- Defense (7): Jeff Petry, Ladislav Smid, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Phil Larsen
- Center (4): Taylor Hall, Mark Arcobello, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton, Anton Lander
- Left Wing (5): David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Hamilton,
- Right Wing (5): Jordan Eberle, Ales Hemsky, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones, Mike Brown
After the Gagner injury, I think Arcobello and Lander may make the team.There’s no Gagner replacement out there and the Oilers top center is also on the shelf. This is a massive item for the Edmonton Oilers season. I would guess this could be bad news for Ben Eager, Ryan Hamilton or Ryan Jones. Ryan Smyth may be asked to play center.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
It’s a bitter bitter pill. Wow.