We’re just a week away from NHL hockey returning, but I’m thinking about the summer. Warm breeze, barbeque humming, lawn mower rumbling, beer in the fridge and those Oilers are making noises. It seems so far away, and yet the draft and free agency are on the way! Here’s what might happen.
TRANSACTIONS BY THE EDMONTON OILERS, FEB 20TH THROUGH JULY 10
- Trade Nick Schultz to Boston for a 3rd round pick.
- Trade Anton Belov to Toronto for a 4th round pick.
- Trade Corey Potter to Minnesota for a 5th round pick.
- Sign G Ben Scrivens to a three-year contract.
- Sign R Ales Hemsky to a one-year contract.
- Sign D Dillon Simpson to an entry-level contract.
- Sign C Bogdan Yakimov to an entry-level contract.
- Sign G Joel Rumpel to an entry level contract.
- Trade D Oscar Klefbom, C Sam Gagner and 2nd overall pick to Philadelphia for D Braydon Coburn, C Sean Couturier and 17th overall pick.
- Oilers select D Julius Honka with the 17th overall pick.
- Oilers draft John Quenneville.
- Oilers also draft at least one Edmonton Oil King.
- Sign G James Reimer as a free agent.
- Sign L Daniel Winnick as a free agent.
- Sign L Ryan Smyth as a free agent
THE PROJECTED LINEUP
- Goal: Ben Scrivens-James Reimer
- D1: Braydon Coburn-Justin Schultz
- D2: Martin Marincin-Jeff Petry
- D3: Andrew Ference-Dillon Simpson*
- ex: Phil Larsen
- L1: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Taylor Hall-Jordan Eberle
- L2: Sean Couturier-Nail Yakupov-David Perron
- L3: Boyd Gordon-Daniel Winnik-Ales Hemsky
- L4: Anton Lander-Ryan Smyth-Matt Hendricks
- ex: Luke Gazdic-Tyler Pitlick*
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
This is just one man’s attempt to look into the future. It’s impossible. Right?