Could a night get any worse? Final Score: 3-0 Kings
Last time the Kings were in town the Oilers played miserably. The only logical conclusion we could come up with was that the boys from the Royal Half were in town and they brought some kind of Hollywood voodoo with them. Either that or the Oilers are terrible. It had to be the voodoo. At least that’s what I thought until I watched tonight’s train wreck. To make matters worse, Bob McKenzie had to go ahead and break the news that Ryan Smyth will be retiring! Ohhhh the sadness.
Ryan Smyth is the personification of what it means to be an Oiler. The guy was knocked his entire career for being too slow and not nearly as skilled as his heart is big. For years Ryan Smyth was the heart and soul of the team. He was the face of the franchise with a heart of gold and work ethic to spare. Even though he’s not the player he once was, I’m going to miss him. I’m going to miss his involvement in the community and passion for being an Edmonton Oiler. I only hope that his dedication to the franchise will rub off on some of the kids. I encourage you to put your favourite Smytty moment in the comments section.
We shall wrap…
The Bright Side
- All the Ryan Smyth stories that came in were both amazing and heart breaking.
- Smytty won’t have to play for the last place Oilers anymore (2nd last, I know)
The Face Palmers
- Bob McKenzie says that Smytty will be retiring after Saturday’s game… I haz sad
- Sam Gagner went out with an ankle injury. Dude is having a miserable year
- Shutout for the 600th time at home
- The suck knob was broken off, thrown out a window, and fell in the sewer
- A fart I unleashed while walking up the stairs was the most entertaining part of that game
Best of the Tweets