The Edmonton Oilers under Craig MacTavish have been flushing players at an incredible rate, and that’s not going to slow down this spring. Here’s a quick look at the exits over the last 12 months.
HERE’S YOUR HAT, WHAT’S YOUR HURRY!
Craig MacTavish did a lot of work before training camp last spring and summer, bringing in David Perron, Andrew Ference Boyd Gordon and others. He also sent away 18 men:
- Shawn Horcoff: The captain left via trade, and signaled a new era in Edmonton. Horcoff’s new team made the playoffs.
- Magnus Paajarvi: Moved on to St. Louis and a his first playoffs.
- Ryan Whitney: His career may be over.
- Lennart Petrell: Finn was fuun but he’s goone forever.
- Mark Fistric: Big man cost a fairly high pick but they didn’t sign him. Off to playoffs.
- Theo Peckham: Wandering the minors.
- Teemu Hartikainen: Traded to Toronto for Mark Fraser.
- Eric Belanger: Retired.
- Jarred Smithson: Played 18 NHL games this season.
- Yann Danis: AHL depth for Philly.
- Darcy Hordichuk: Didn’t play this season.
- Chris VandeVelde: 18 NHL games in Philly this year.
- Nikolai Khabibulin: Ghastly in 4 games with Chicago this season.
- Phil Cornet: Middling season in the AHL for Charlotte.
- Colten Teubert: He’s now a Iserlohn Rooster!
- Alex Plante: Played in Austria this season.
- Antti Tyrvainen: Went back to Finland.
- Niko Hovinen:Terrific season in the KHL.
OFFLOADED DURING THE SEASON
- Mike Brown: Gazdic ate his lunch.
- Ladislav Smid: One of the strangest moves of recent seasons.
- Jason LaBarbera: He couldn’t stop a hockey puck.
- Linus Omark: One of the predictable moves of recent seasons.
- Devan Dubnyk: Belly flop off the high board. Hope he recovers.
- Corey Potter: One day up near Salinas, Lord, they let him slip away,
- Ales Hemsky: Huge uptick in production for 83 in Ottawa.
- Nick Schultz: Deadline exit, everyone saw it coming.
- Ilya Bryzgalov: In through the out door, quick as you please.
- Ryan Smyth: Sail on, Moose Jaw Warrior. Godspeed.
LIKELY GONE SOON AFTER THE SEASON
- Sam Gagner: It’s time to start again, for both sides.
- Anton Belov: I like him, mobility a big concern.
- Ryan Jones: He mentioned it a few days ago, he’s down the line.
- Jesse Joensuu: Signed for another year, he didn’t do much.
- Ben Eager: Concussions impacted his Oiler career.
- Denis Grebeshkov: He didn’t get much of a chance, but he’s gone.
- Mark Fraser: Needed to show more.
- Anton Lander: You have to score. At least a little.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
The NHL is the toughest league on the planet. Standing still? Chances are you’ll be snowed under. Craig MacTavish changed a lot in one year.
Next: What did he bring?