It’s the night before Christmas, and we’re all on pins and needles about the NHL Entry draft. WHAT is going to happen? I don’t want to spoil the party, but there are some things worth considering.
If Bob McKenzie picks a player to go No. 1 overall, they stay No. 1 overall.
The Oilers may draft an Oil King. It’s possible. Although everyone believes Edmonton has drafted Martin Gernat, David Musil and Kristians Pelss from the OK, the only two players drafted off the junior roster have been Mitchell Moroz and Travis Ewanyk.
The four Oil Kings everyone is talking about are:
- LW Brett Pollock—breakout season, could go early 2nd round.
- D Dysin Mayo—Mobile D took a step forward in the second half of the year
- D Aaron Irving—Smart two-way defender.
- L Edgars Kulda—A strong season and a dream postseason.
The others we may be talking about Saturday:
- L Mads Eller—Hard working checker without a lot of offense.
- L Brandon Baddock—Big body, raw tools
- D Ashton Sautner—Two-way defender exploded offensively this year.
I THINK THEY’LL TAKE A GOALIE….
If the Oilers grab that big center at No. 3 overall, don’t be surprised to see them invest a pick or two in a goaltender. I have no idea who it might be, but Jordan Papirny impressed the heck out of me this spring. There are a few goalies I’ve read about and like — Zachary Nagelvoort, Ville Husso and Ilya Sorokin — but who knows if they’re any good? That’s for the scouts to suss out.
And tomorrow it begins. Christmas in June, and then trades and free agency to be followed by all the beer I can drink on July 1st.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!