There are rumors all over the hockey world about expansion, and as a certified ‘draft nerd’ I took this opportunity to submit Edmonton’s protected list. These are always tricky, because a bunch of players aren’t eligible and of course free agents don’t need protection. It’s fun all the same, and here’s my list.
Will Acton photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved
This could change, but the current list of 2015 free agents includes Jeff Petry, Jesse Joensuu and Viktor Fasth. Minor leaguers who are free agents in 2015 include Richard Bachman, Will Acton, Steve Pinizzotto and Ryan Hamilton.
All number of players included here, including Leon Draisaitl and his draft class, Darnell Nurse and his class too. Entry level players like Dillon Simpson, Oscar Klefbom, David Musil, Martin Gernat, Mitch Moroz, Travis Ewanyk—basically anyone drafted after 2010’s entry draft is ineligible save Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (note: this is my reading of the expansion draft format, God knows what those NHL crazies will come up with).
Brandon Davidson photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved
I’m going to assume classic rules, meaning one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards.
- Ben Scrivens
- Mark Fayne
- Justin Schultz
- Martin Marincin
- Nikita Nikitin
- Brandon Davidson
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- Boyd Gordon
- Mark Arcobello
- Taylor Hall
- Benoit Pouliot
- David Perron
- Jordan Eberle
- Nail Yakupov
- Teddy Purcell
The following players would be eligible for the expansion draft.
- G Tyler Bunz—Unlikely to be chosen, unless he has a big season in 2014-15.
- G Frans Tuohimaa—Complete wild card, but not a strong draft option.
- D Andrew Ference—A new NHL team might leap at the chance to add an experienced leader.
- D Keith Aulie—Another quality option, he’s been up and down but has a lot of track left.
- D Phil Larsen—Chaos blue, but he could help the offense.
- D Brad Hunt—Similar to Larsen, one slot down.
- C Anton Lander—Might be just what he needs: A fresh start.
- L Luke Gazdic—An outstanding young enforcer.
- L Matt Hendricks—Veteran winger well known for leadership ability.
- L Roman Horak—Untapped talent could blossom.
- L Curtis Hamilton—Same spot as Bunz.
- R Tyler Pitlick—Might be an attractive option for a startup team.
- R Andrew Miller—Has some potential as an offensive winger.
Given that list and the chance to choose two players, I’d pick Anton Lander and Roman Horak, but your mileage may vary.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
Not one damn thing. But it’s fun! What about you? What does your protected list look like for the Oilers?