There wasn’t a team in the NHL that needed to stop the bleeding as badly as the Oilers did. Luckily, we got some clotting! Final Score: 3-2 Oilers
Tonight was my first game of the season, and there was no damned way that I was going to be happy with anything less than a “W” and 200 Rexall beers. On the bright side, one of my wishes came true! Luckily for me I didn’t have to drive, so I was shooting for 1 beer for every time Stamkos was left wide open. Surprisingly, Stamkos didn’t do jack squat and I was rat assed drunk by the 2nd period and trying to figure out where my next mortgage payment would come from – good times.
Drunken tomfoolery aside, tonight had to be one of the best complete games the Oilers have played in millennia. I didn’t see any of the usual 10-star chances in front of the net, I didn’t see the Oilers getting pinned in their zone for minutes at a time, and most amazingly Steve Stamkos did nothing! THE OILERS HELD STEVE STAMKOS TO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! It was a Nugemas miracle, and tonight everyone was going home happy.
Let’s wrap it up…
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I WALKED TO THE ARENA IN AN EFFING T-SHIRT ON OCTOBER 20TH! IN EDMONTON!
- Nail Yakupov looks like a completely different player from last year. It really is amazing.
- The rums were delicious!
- NUUUUUUUUGE GAME WINNER (fuelled by a 3rd period wave)
- Guy stopped me to tell me that my Nation hoodie was awesome. He was also wearing one. Instant friends!
- Drum-on-pale-man was rocking a festive beat for the first win of the season.
THE FACE PALMERS
- The price of Rexall beers is ever rising.
- Seriously… Beers are $9.50/each. Tier 1 indeed!
- Guy sitting behind me, in the stands, had all the answers for the team but didn’t know who most of the Oilers players were.
- The row in front of me got free pizza. DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME!
- Twitter suffers when the Oilers win. It’s okay, Twitter is tough and can handle the neglect.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— DBannon (@dbannon22) October 21, 2014
There are more Lightning jerseys at Rexall Place than there are in Tampa Bay. #RexallFacts
— baggedmilk (@jsbmbaggedmilk) October 21, 2014
Draisaitl with more TOI than Yakupov? #logic
— Jeremy Thompson (@Jthompson2380) October 21, 2014
The last time the Oilers won, I ended up pregnant!
— (C) Dani (@daniskipper) October 21, 2014
So I think I picked a pretty okay game for my first one back on home soil #GOilers
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) October 21, 2014
Yak had about 2 minutes in the 1st Period and 2 minutes in the 3rd Period. I swear he was taken 1st Overall and can play.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) October 21, 2014
QUICKLY NOW – FOLLOW ME TO THE PARADE ROUTE BEFORE THE BEST SEATS FILL UP
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) October 21, 2014
— Hammond (@canucksstink) October 21, 2014
— Jerry Lo (@jprime_RS) October 21, 2014
I am currently stuck on Gretzky Drive, and people are honking like it’s 2006. If I wasn’t here I wouldn’t have believed it. Hilarious.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) October 21, 2014
TAYLOR HALL CHARITY RAFFLE
One last mention about this Taylor Hall charity raffle that is happening at netraffle.org. Tickets are ridiculously cheap ($2) and the prizes are great, but all proceeds will be going to the Boys and Girls Club of Kingston. You want to know about prizes? Check out the grand prize:
- 4 tickets to watch the Edmonton Oilers Vs. Carolina Hurricanes on October 24th, 2014
- Game-used memorabilia from Taylor Hall
- Winner and 3 guests will dine with Taylor Hall at LUX Steakhouse
- Winner and 3 guests will be provided with transportation to and from dinner
- 2 Taylor Hall Edmonton Oilers jerseys autographed by Taylor Hall
- Receive $1,000 to put towards travel and accommodations (if needed, if used)