If we can’t beat the West, and we can’t beat the East, who the hell are we going to beat? Final Score: 4-1 Flyers.
Going into tonight’s game, the Oilers were unbeaten against the East and yet to win against the West. Going into tonight, the Flyers were 4-5-2 which isn’t all that different from where the Oilers are at. In fact, they came into tonight’s game on a 2-game losing streak. I was looking forward to seeing how the Oilers were going to take on a good team from the East that may not have hit their stride yet. Lord knows, winning games against the West is going to be a battle all season long so we have to get points from the East while we can! At least, that’s what I thought until the 1st period happened.
Actually, the Oilers didn’t play all that bad. Seriously, follow me here for a minute… I think the problem was that when they did make a mistake, it was a big one, and it ended up in the back of their net. Viktor Fasth wasn’t overly sharp in his first start since his groin injury. He got better as the game went on, but by the time he was settled in the game was basically over. I guess the rust could be expected? Unfortunately, the losses are racking up and the Oilers don’t really have time for Viktor Fasth to get back into game shape. They need wins now. On the other side, Steve Mason was very sharp for the Flyers. He gave the Flyers some big saves when they needed him, something that the Oilers didn’t get from Fasth.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Klefbom > Hunt
- Having such an early game allowed us all to calm down before going to bed.
- Ovechkin set a franchise record against Calgary tonight.
- Nugey’s goal was awesome. He’s as talented as he is adorable. Great speed. Great goal.
- Hendricks SMASH! I always love a scrap…
Yakupov was firing the puck. It’s only a matter of time before he starts putting them in.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Marcobello nutted himself in the first period, and all men winced in unison.
- Jakub Voracek was unstoppable, and it was annoying.
- It turns out that Taylor Hall is super important to the Oilers winning.
- Tonight wasn’t Viktor Fasth’s finest hour. That’s the polite way of saying he was pretty gross. He finished the night with a .840 save%.
- The wagon line was not nearly as effective without Hendricks.
- Lots of posts in the 3rd period. The Oilers couldn’t buy a goal tonight… aside from Nugey’s magic.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Wondering if the @EdmontonOilers would have more success if they convinced the opposition to do “sticks in the middle” before every game
— Rick Weidemann (@RPW_1832) November 5, 2014
@OilersNation I was more concerned for Arcobello’s “groin”
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) November 5, 2014
Oilers forgot to voracek themselves before they vorawreked themselves
— german (@german_brad) November 5, 2014
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) November 5, 2014
@OilersNation With Hendricks off the 4th line it’s like the wagon lost a wheel!!
— DannyB (@dball1977) November 5, 2014
— Kris (@_AGuyNamedKris) November 5, 2014
— nic heinrichs (@pioneernic) November 5, 2014
— Ross Smith (@EBHeater) November 5, 2014
— Higgs-Distortion (@Higgsdistortion) November 5, 2014
— Douglas (@chop_sticks77) November 5, 2014
We need to shelter Yakupov, he’s getting too many shots. #Eakins
— Paul Almeida (@AzorcanGlobal) November 5, 2014
— Brock Boot (@Dasboot34) November 5, 2014
— Art Middleton (@GameTimeArt) November 5, 2014
— Jordon Kieser (@27KIESER27) November 5, 2014