Let the streaking begin! Final Score: 3-1 Oilers.
Coming into tonight, the Rangers were 5-3-2 in their last 10 games. When you compare that to the Oilers last 10 games (5-5-0) it’s not as though the Rangers are lighting the league on fire. This was another winnable game that the Oilers had to find a way to get points from. The Oilers need to find a way to score more goals. I was also interested to see how Viktor Fasth would handle back to back starts. He wasn’t exactly lights out, against the Sabres, but he played well enough for the Oilers to win. I wanted to know how he would handle the chance at a repeat performance. Tonight, he was solid. He was there when the Oilers needed him, and that’s all you can ask for.
By my eye, this whole game was pretty evenly matched. I thought the Oilers played a very good road game, and the Rangers weren’t at all overwhelming. Again, I need someone to find out what kind of paperwork we need to fill out to have the Oilers moved to the Eastern Conference. The style of play, in the East, matches up with the Oilers 1000% better. Curse geography. Curse the lack of teleportation technology. Anyway… I thought this was a great game all around. The Oilers were all over the Rangers, and guys that needed to step up did exactly that.
This was a big win for the Oilers, and there were a lot of positives up and down the lineup. Nuge continues to improve. The kid is looking more and more like an unstoppable force as the days go on. Benoit Pouliot also had a very strong game. You have to wonder how much cash he had up on the board, if the boys could pull out a win. Good on him for scoring the winner, and adding an assist. This was a very good road game by the Oilers. They deserved the win, and I am happy to see them get it.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Benoit Pouliot had a goal and an assist. I loved seeing the reversed former-Oiler-curse.
- Nuge seems to be taking his game to another level. He’s getting scoring chances far more consistently than in the past. Another great goal tonight.
- I loves me some #LittleButtcheeks. Pakarinen keeps impressing me. I hope he can keep developing.
- I like watching David Perron mix it up on the ice. He was doing that tonight, and I think he plays better when he does.
- I hope Nail Yakupov keeps firing the puck at the net. His shot is too good for this to go on much longer. He is going to score goals.
- Viktor Fasth was solid tonight. He made the saves they needed him to.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I miss Taylor Hall.
- Henrik Lundqvist is both handsome and talented. It’s annoying. I also dislike that he speaks English better than I do.
- Power Play needs retuning. They’re never going to score unless they start shooting.
- The Oilers play in the Western Conference.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
RNH is easily the best 9-year-old in the NHL.
— Scott Kosman™ (@humantorch) November 9, 2014
Stupid Sexy Lundquist
— Raymond (@pullmygoalies) November 10, 2014
— David Shortt (@AdMan0828) November 10, 2014
@OilersNation He also uses a “v” in his last name where a “u” should be. What else is he hiding?
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) November 10, 2014
Yakupov has been an defensive menace in the offensive zone. So many steals.
— Loxy (@loxyisme) November 10, 2014
— Nic Bakker (@PEOiler) November 10, 2014
Top to bottom, that’s as solid a game as the Oilers have put together this season. Workmanlike. Hard on pucks. The whole package.
— Robin Brownlee (@Robin_Brownlee) November 10, 2014
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) November 10, 2014
Yak with another 5 shots to his total. One day those are going to go in. One day.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) November 10, 2014
— Duane Nelson (@nathan21710) November 10, 2014
NOVEMBER PICTURE CONTEST
On Wednesday, I posted details for the November picture contest. Basically, I’m looking for you guys to get creative and take pictures of yourselves in NationGear, Oilers Gear, or doing something generally hilarious that shows you’re an Oilers fan. At the end of the month, we’ll take the 5 best pictures and put them up for a vote. The winners will be showered with both Internet glory and prizes. If you have a picture you’d like to enter, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy hunting, Nation, and Godspeed.