Rexall smells of farts and failure. Final Score: 2-0 Devils
Tonight’s game opened with the Sportsnet panel talking about how the Devils have had trouble scoring lately. Automatically, I got nervous. Anytime someone mentions a slump/drough/plague/curse, and the Oilers in the same sentence, I start to get heart palpitations. In my brain, I picture a guy who hasn’t scored in 6 years, ripping a slapshot top corner. That’s just how things have gone for the Oilers lately. They’ve been slump busters for the past few years, and it’s endlessly annoying. The annoyance continues.
After having terrible starts lately, the Oilers came out like a house on fire tonight. The Devils didn’t even get a shot until the first period was halfway through. Now, why can’t the Oilers figure out a way to do that every game? Unfortunately, the start of the game was also the best part of the game. As my nightmares foretold, the Devils scored and the Oilers didn’t. The most frustrating part of this game was easily the Oilers powerplay. In the second period, Yakupov took a stick to the face drawing a 4 minute powerplay. In 4 minutes, the Oilers managed 2 shots. To say the powerplay was awful would be like putting mustard on a turd sandwich.
This whole game was frustrating. The Oilers are making mistakes that would normally get worked out in the preseason, and when they do the puck ends up in the back of their net. We’re running out of time, here. Unless the Oilers figure out a way to win, we’re going to be watching meaningless games again in December. Maybe we should sacrifice something?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Really solid start for the Oilers tonight. They need to figure out how to make this happen on a nightly basis.
- I don’t care if he’s on the other team, it’s awesome to watch Jaromir Jagr play hockey.
- The Devils backup goalie has the best job in the world. Best seat in the house! Every. Single. Night.
- Viktor Fasth probably played well enough to win, but it’s hard to win games if your team doesn’t score.
- I have a full bottle of rum to get through.
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers power play is absolutely awful. There’s no other way to say it. That’s it. Awful.
- The Oilers PK almost got caught with all 4 players being on the same side of the ice… AGAIN. It was deja-vu from the Canucks game.
- The odd man rushes, and breakaways against are going to make me punch holes in the drywall. Enough now. Whatever part of the Oilers “system” is causing this… QUIT IT.
- Justin Schultz had a bad night. How he hasn’t been benched/scratched for a game at this point is shocking. Eakins was never quick enough to bench Yakupov, but Justin Schultz never gets the same treatment.
- Pouliot broke his foot and will be out indefinitely.
- The next 10 games are against the Western Conference.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) November 22, 2014
2 powerplays. 0 shots. 1 clearcut breakaway against. What a Gord damned disgrace.
— Bruce McCurdy (@BruceMcCurdy) November 22, 2014
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) November 22, 2014
The Sportsnet panel got real awkward when David Amber mentioned Jagr’s hockey player butt.
— TheTowelBoy (@TheTowelBoy) November 22, 2014
@OilersNation I may only be a lower tier fan, but I’m thinking his Norris might not happen this year.
— Brian Mackinnon (@Brianmac39) November 22, 2014
— Nick Papagorgio (@rustybuttons35) November 22, 2014
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) November 22, 2014
@OilersNation this could be worse. Jan 27 2009- Buffalo 10 @ Edmonton 2. I still remember the “we want 10” chants in YEG.
— Shauggy says… (@Edmonton_rookie) November 22, 2014
“When we see fit.” -Eakins on when he’ll cut Schultz’s icetime #BMRecap
— OilersNation (@OilersNation) November 22, 2014
JCI HAMPER PROGRAM
Help more Edmonton families enjoy Christmas this year. Sign up today for the JCI Holiday Hamper programto build and hand deliver a hamper with food and gifts for a local family in need. Head to their website and register by November 30th, and help us make a difference in the community.