Should I make a speech? Do we pay tribute? I’m not sure what to do for Ten. Straight. Losses. Final Score: 5-2 Coyotes.
Coming into tonight, the Oilers have
won salvaged an OT point in their last two games. I feel like they deserved the win against Nashville, but they couldn’t score. Against St. Louis? That was more like an example of the hockey gods giving the Oilers a pity point. They were outshot 41-16 in that game. The fact that they got a point can mostly be attributed to Scrivens and an early Christmas miracle. Tonight was another round of every Oiler fans favourite game – “Which Team Will It Be!” Were we going to watch the Oilers that look like an actual NHL team, or the Oilers that are likely to drop a fresh turd at center ice? The results weren’t exactly surprising.
As it turns out, the Oilers showed up with the familiar Jekyll and Hyde on ice persona. They came out of the first period with a 1-0 lead only to collapse in the 2nd and give up 4 straight goals. Ahhh that’s the Oilers I know and love. At this point all we can hope for is to hit bottom. I’m just waiting to see where exactly that bottom is. Every year we seem to hit a new low at some point, only to surpass it the next season. It’s a sad state of affairs in OilersNation. I even had Flames fans sending pity to the Nation Twitter account. Did you hear me? Flames fans are giving us their pity. When will the madness end? These are dark days, my friends.
Un petit wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I love Gene Principe. That is all.
- Nice tribute to Pat Quinn by the Oilers. Classy move.
- THEY SCORED A POWER PLAY GOAL! *prays to everyone* After the goal, the power play was pretty terrible, and balance was restored.
- The Oilers actually scored first for a change! That was about as good as things got though.
- We’re all one day closer to retirement.
- Tobias Rieder seems to be a steal of a pick for the Oiler scouting staff! *sigh*
- There is no one better at being awful than the Oilers. Seriously. We take losing to the next level.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I don’t care what anyone says, Sam Gagner looks weird in a Coyotes jersey and I don’t like it.
- The Oilers didn’t get enough shots on Mike Smith tonight. Coming into tonight, Smith was sporting an .893 save% and the Oiler should have been shooting from everywhere.
- Of course Tobias Rieder scores two shorthanded goal. Of course he does.
- Did I mention that Mike Smith was slumping? Insert the Oilers. Doctor’s recommendation. *sigh*
- Instead it was Viktor Fasth with the .792 save%. As far as save percentages go, that’s as bad as they come.
- 10 straight losses is a milestone in shitacular play.
- The head of German hockey was on with Gene in the 1st intermission and he said he was surprised that Leon Draisaitl was in the NHL this year. I just wanted to make note of that.
- That was probably the worst 2nd period that I’ve seen in a long time.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
The game will be delayed while the Rexall ice crew cleans up Gene Principe’s clippings.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) December 2, 2014
Don’t trade David Perron.
— Woodguy (@Woodguy55) December 2, 2014
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) December 2, 2014
@OilersNation maybe the PP just had stagefright. Too many Oilers fans most nights. Not an issue tonight.
— Kevin Radowits (@sportsjunkie007) December 2, 2014
— James Drolet (@Apps98) December 2, 2014
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) December 2, 2014
Sure Reider just scored 2 goals in 58 seconds, but Kale Kessey has reaaaaally been developing into more than a set of fists @OilersNation
— Justin Rosadiuk (@JRosadiuk) December 2, 2014
Oilers traded Tobias Rieder to Phoenix for Kale Kessy. That’ll save you looking it up.#oilers.
— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) December 2, 2014
Fasth with a sv% under .800 tonight.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) December 2, 2014
— baggedmilk (@jsbmbaggedmilk) December 2, 2014
— Oilerstier✌fan (@bleedingoilersf) December 2, 2014
Somebody’s head is going to explode trying to find a silver lining in what’ll be a 10th straight loss after that second-period implosion.
— Robin Brownlee (@Robin_Brownlee) December 2, 2014
— Adam Pennycook (@Laughing_Pug) December 2, 2014
@OilersNation this team would lose in a father son game
— Ryan Kendall (@rjatkendall) December 2, 2014
PHOTO CONTEST RESULTS
On Saturday, I posted the finalists for the November Picture Contest and kept the voting running through the pollz until late last night. The winner (shown above) ran away with 64% of the vote. Is it all that surprising given the sexiness of said picture? No, I didn’t think so either.
There were so many great entries that it was really tough to whittle things down to only 5. If you’re in the Top 5, I will be reaching out to you at some point this week – if you’re impatient, feel free to hit me up first. The voting went like so…