I can’t wait to watch this again on Friday! *sigh* Final Score: 2-1 Ducks.
Generally speaking, having the Sharks and Ducks on back to back nights has been a murderers row for the Oilers. Hell, that’s a tough swing no matter what team you are. The Oilers played fairly well against the Sharks, and they were going to have to come up with the a better effort if they had any chance at getting points against the Ducks. They were definitely going to need better goaltending tonight, to say the least. Last night, any and all mistakes wound up in the back of the net. Tonight, goaltending wasn’t the problem. It was the offense that needed work.
Tonight’s game was another chapter in the Oilers’ Guide to Having Some Players Execute Better Than Others. It’s a very long story, and every chapter is the same. Somehow, this story continues to sell well despite the lack of any progress in storylines. Sometimes the characters change, but the result is always the same. Last night, the offense was going but the goaltending was shaky. Tonight, Viktor Fasth played very well. With a .939 save% Fasth gave the Oilers a chance to win. Unfortunately, it’s pretty tough to win games when you only score one goal.
Like a tortilla, we wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- It was awesome to see Brandon Davidson play in the NHL after all that he’s been through. Amazing story.
- It’s funny that Ducks fans are still booing Justin Schutz. It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire here. Surely, a quick Google could have told them that.
- Nuge gets an extra present in his stocking after scoring his 7th goal of the year. (Nothing too violent though).
- At least the Oilers only lost in front of 300 fans in Anaheim.
- Viktor Fasth was really solid tonight. (.939 save% on 33 shots)
THE FACE PALMERS
- Ryan Kesler looks just as miserable as he did in Vancouver, but now he has a better tan. Seeing him score was as annoying as ever.
- Andrew Cogliano turned out to be a solid NHLer. Good thing we got that 2nd round pick.
- Visually the Ducks were the much better team, but I haven’t had a chance to compare notes with MacT yet.
- The Ducks have a good team, and their arena was still empty tonight. You spoiled, selfish bastards!
- Matt Hendricks had a solid night. Unfortunately, when Matt Hendricks is leading the way offensively, things are probably not going your way.
- Why didn’t Dallas Eakins take his timeout with 30 seconds left? You can’t carry them over to the next game, Dallas.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Well. I just sat down and the Ducks scored. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheTowelBoy (@TheTowelBoy) December 11, 2014
Gazdic vs Getzlaf line seems a mismatch.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) December 11, 2014
@OilersNation That Duck team has come a long way since their days in District 5.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) December 11, 2014
Things are not good for the oilers right now but oscar klefbom is going to be a good one.
— Rod Phillips (@oilvoice37) December 11, 2014
Hallsy totally planned that fall to take out that defensemen. @OilersNation
— RC (@Riotsedge) December 11, 2014
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is going to be 38 and I’ll still call him Baby Nuge.
— The First Noëloxy (@loxyisme) December 11, 2014
— Danny Cotton (@DirtbagDonny) December 11, 2014
Is Eakins saving his timeout for overtime? Seriously, WTF?
— Bruce McCurdy (@BruceMcCurdy) December 11, 2014
Time outs are so overrated. I never take them at rec league volleyball either. That just delays beer time.
— Kady Hobbins (@KadyDH) December 11, 2014
THE PHOTOSHOP CONTEST
This morning, I announced that December’s contest would be a photoshop contest. Oh, how I love the photoshop contests! The theme for this round is what the Oilers will be doing over their Christmas break. Whether you picture the boys stealing toys like the Grinch, or saving an office party like Bruce Willis – the sky is the limit. Be as creative as you can be. When you’re entry is done, you can email it to me at email@example.com.