The holiday break couldn’t come soon enough. Final Score: 5-1 Coyotes.
Tonight is the last game the Oilers will play before Christmas. They have 3 games left in the 2014 calendar year. Why did we have to waste another one against the Arizona Coyotes? Not to mention with a start like the Oilers had. Frankly, I was ready to bail after the Oilers gave up 2 goals in the first 5 minutes. I was going to write this Wrap Up about something completely unrelated. Something like… the 2015 Ikea Spring catalog, carpet samples, or anything else that is generally more fun to do than watching an Oilers game.
As usual, one of the only good things about this game was Oilers Twitter. Without Twitter, and the fact that Oilers fans have the best sense of humour out there, these seasons would seem even longer than they already are. The best part of OilersNation is the fact that we’re all in this thing together. No one deserves to see wins more than Oilers fans, and those appear about as frequently as Halley’s Comet. Despite the continuous footballs to the groin, I love the fact that we’re all still watching. I admire the fact that Oilers fans have picked their poison, and are willing to live through the side effects.
No one deserves a break from NHL hockey more than Oilers fans. This season has been long, and we could all use the love and support of our family and friends, right about now. I hope you’re all able to take the next 3 days off from inhaling the fumes of failure that is the Oilers 2014-15 season. May you all have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday, or whatever it is that you’re into. I will see you back here on Saturday night, as we all reunite to bitch about another night.
Until then, we wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Taylor Hall is still an Oiler… You eat your crow, Internet.
- Twitter was great tonight.
- I think we won the Corsi!
- Punch all the faces!
THE FACE PALMERS
- Since the start of the season, there has been 3 “head coaches.” For some reason, all 3 of them seem to think Justin Schultz and Brad Hunt are an NHL calibre defensive pairing.
- Guess what? Another awful start. If these bad starts were pogs we’d have collected the whole set by now.
- Gagner scored. Go figure. He scored twice? Seems about right. He got 4 points? *sigh*
- Ben Scrivens can use the Christmas break. He’s been battling the puck for the last few games, and we were all surprised that he was starting tonight. Didn’t last long though. He was pulled after letting in 2 goals on 3 shots.
- Viktor Fasth wasn’t a whole lot better… He finished the night with an .842 save%.
- Dubnyk wins again. I bet that he laughs at us every night before he goes to sleep.
- The Oilers have 21 of a possible 70 points on the season. That is remarkable.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Zed (@zedhead) December 24, 2014
— Matt (@eastcoastoilfan) December 24, 2014
@OilersNation You shoulda seen him in junior.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) December 24, 2014
— Kevin Radowits (@sportsjunkie007) December 24, 2014
The Oilers are what my eyes imagine farts smell like. #HereComeTheOilers
— baggedmilk (@jsbmbaggedmilk) December 24, 2014
— RC (@Riotsedge) December 24, 2014
The greatest trick goaltending ever pulled was convincing the Oilers it didn’t exist.
— Lowetide (@Lowetide_) December 24, 2014
The universe truly hates the Edmonton Oilers
— Jiggy Pudding (@bookofloob) December 24, 2014
What the Oilers are doing here is really remarkable. A poor team? Sure. But this is like a team that’s trying to make history
— Dennis King (@DKingBH) December 24, 2014
@OilersNation my forensic sweep only came back with excessive vomit.
— Jamie Wright (@JamieWright03) December 24, 2014
Show the world how hilarious you are. Tweet at @jsbmbaggedmilk and @OilersNation, on Twitter, for your chance to show up in the GDB Wrap Up. Internet glory is yours for the taking. In the very least you may get a few more followers.
When you have tickets to the game, head to the Pint Downtown and you could win a ride to, and from, the game in a limo. On top of that, we’ll hook you up with some Nation swag and an Oodle Noodle GC. All you have to do is let the bartenders know that you want your name on the list. You should also note that this isn’t some special event, this is happening every home game. Write that down, take a screep cap, or lock it in your mind locker. It’s a good time, and you should be there.