Who the hell saw that coming? Final Score: 5-2 Oilers.
Before tonight’s game started, I had a feeling that the best part about tonight would watching the Blackhawks play. I assumed that they were going to show up to Rexall, and make all the new Oilers know exactly what it means to be an Oiler. It wasn’t exactly unreasonable to think that Chicago could blow out the Oilers on home ice either (November 22nd). Such is life as an Oilers fan. Do we cheer for wins, or do we cheer for losses (yes)? Regardless of which side you’re on, trying to explain life as an Oilers fan is like trying to figure out why Liam Neeson keeps losing his family. There just aren’t enough words, I guess.
The Oilers played a really solid game against a team that played last night. Maybe, the most impressive part of the Oilers game was how they bounced back whenever the Blackhawks scored. The Oilers we’re used to seeing would have just folded up shop, and called it a day. I’m not sure what Todd Nelson has been telling these guys, but they’re actually playing like an NHL hockey team. You can talk about the up-tempo practices, or the simpler philosophy, or whatever cliche you want – Todd Nelson has these guys playing like a completely different hockey team. Yes, the Blackhawks were a tired hockey team, but the Oilers deserved to win that game and they did.
Damned Oilers keep sucking us back in!
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Benoit Pouliot scored the first Oilers goal of the night. Good to see him bounce back after that gross spearing penalty against Detroit.
- The Derek Roy goal was a thing of beauty. Great passing play led to a great goal. He finished with 3 points on the night. Roy has 5 points in 6 games as an Oiler.
- Anton Lander is on a 3-game point streak.
- Nail Yakupov got the goal he so desperately needed. A goal and an assist for him tonight. I’m happy to see him rewarded, especially after getting the chance to play with actual NHL players.
- Ben Scrivens gave the team a chance to win. He finished the night with a .905 save% – 19 saves on 21 shots.
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers are playing like a completely different hockey team under Todd Nelson. This is not good news for the “Tank for McDavid” movement.
- Dallas Eakins may have to wait a while for another NHL head coaching job. Although, to his credit, he didn’t have the luxury of 3 NHL centres.
- I’m going to miss Jeff Petry. I hope the Universe can let him know that for me somehow.
- Did I mention this kind of play will not help the McDavid cause?
- Anti Raanta didn’t help the McDavid cause either. He finished with a .810 save% – 17 saves on 21 shots.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
@OilersNation Well. We’ve already gone over last game’s meeting minutes…
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) January 10, 2015
— Tyler Yaremchuk (@ty89yar) January 10, 2015
That goal doesn’t happen without Yak. I still believe in #YakCity.
— OJ (@OilersJunkie) January 10, 2015
Edmonton Oilers players that look better under Todd Nelson: The Edmonton Oilers
— Cody Stuart (@betamanic) January 10, 2015
Matt Hendricks was just trying to take the rock to the rack. Let him drive the lane, ref! #Oilers
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) January 10, 2015
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) January 10, 2015
Who are these imposters wearing blue and orange?
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) January 10, 2015
“Klefbom with the save and then Shaw with the F-bomb.”
That’s the #Blackhawks crew summarizing that near-goal.
— Jonathan Willis (@JonathanWillis) January 10, 2015
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) January 10, 2015
— Mowzie (@moemouallem) January 10, 2015
@OilersNation This is not McDavid hockey. They are doing it wrong. Is this the shortest losing streak of the season?
— Rip Van Winkle (@bhlazo) January 10, 2015
@OilersNation January 9th…. But we got 10 wins!!!
— Jonny Mendoza (@jonnyhearts) January 10, 2015
TICKETS FOR CHARITY
With many fans seeing this season as rock bottom, for the Oilers, we wanted to make going to the Oilers game a little more positive. As such, our friend @soniasrunway has offered up tickets to the January 27th game, against the Minnesota Wild. Where are the tickets? Section 130, Row 14, Seat 13/14. Rather than give the tickets away, Wanye thought it might bring a little bit of good karma if we auctioned them off, and donated the money to the ICCP. Understandably, many of you may be rolling your eyes, so we’re going to spice up the offer.
If you bid, you will not just be getting the tickets you’ll also be getting $100 in Pint GCs, a ride to and from the game in the #NationLimo, and a couple free NationGear tshirts. All the money will be donated directly to the Inner City Children’s Program, so please only bid if you’re serious about it. We’ll keep the Auction running throughout the weekend/next week, and I’ll update the bids as they come in. If you need any more information, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
***UPDATED*** CURRENT HIGH BID: $300 AJB Safety (Noon Sunday, Jan11th)