Assist on the winner goes to Tom Gilbert. Final Score: 4-3 Oilers in OT.
I have to say, I’m really digging this week of early hockey games. Regardless of how the Oilers play, there is either time to calm down from your Oilers related rage or celebrate(?) a win. That being said, I can do my job in my underwear, so I understand that a good chunk of you miss most of these games because of your careers and grown up responsibilities. Most of the time, missing the first half of the game is a benefit, am I right?
Tonight, the Oilers played a really solid road game. They dug themselves a hole early, but they were able to crawl back. The Oilers were able rally back from a two goal deficit by hard work, shooting the puck, and crashing the net – WHAT A CONCEPT! I just can’t help but wonder where this work ethic was early in the season. Even with the loss and injuries to Hall and Pouliot, the Oilers are starting to look like an actual team… albeit several months late.
Every time the Habs thought they were going to pull away the Oilers found a way to tie things up. It was the kind of resiliency that we haven’t seen in the Nation in a long time. Would the Oilers have ever been able to complete a comeback like this in the early parts of the season? There’s no chance, right? A win like this leads me to only one conclusion… Todd Nelson’s black magic is powerful and dangerous.
Like chicken, we wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The game finished early!
- Petry made a really nice little move and shot on the Matt Hendricks deflection goal. How the Oilers don’t think that Petry provides value on the blueline is baffling. Some other team will get a really solid player there.
- I love seeing Matt Hendricks score (his 7th). The guy works for absolutely everything he gets, and you can’t help but cheer for him.
- Nuge hadn’t scored in 8 games and it was nice to see him get two tonight (his 13th & 14th of the year). It was ugly, but they all count. I bet he was annoyed that Kelly Hrudey called him a third line centre.
- Oscar Klefbom made a huge save (yes, a save) when the net was empty. The Oilers were able to come back and score off the back of his goaltending efforts. Unreal!
- Anton Lander scored (his third) the game winner in overtime. Nail Yakupov got an assist on the goal, giving him a three-game point streak.
- Speaking of the winning goal, I loved that it was Tom Gilbert that took Tokarski out to give Lander the tap in. Once an Oiler, always an Oiler.
- Todd Nelson’s winter tan is superb.
THE FACE PALMERS
- PK Subban was a second round pick. Damned hindsight! (In case you were wondering, not one of the three first round picks that the Oilers had that year are still in the organization – Gagner, Plante, Nash) Montreal also drafted Pacioretty and Ryan McDonagh that year as well. *sigh*
- Christian “Lil Stumpy” Thomas scored his first ever NHL goal tonight. Shocking, right? LOL!
- The refereeing crew, or whoever it was, that felt the need to review the Petry “goal.” By goal I mean that shot that missed the net entirely.
- The Oilers are finally putting in 60 minutes worth of effort 56 games into the season. Where was this in October?
- These points in the standings are not going to help us get our McJesus.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
I blame the Oilers for making me wonder how the Raptors are doing.
— Cory Dakin (@Corydakin) February 12, 2015
First career NHL goal? There’s a shocker. #Oilers
— Morgan, the Average (@Morgo_82) February 13, 2015
@Lowetide_ that’s a pretty nice plant.
— Romulus’ Apotheosis (@RomulusNotNuma) February 13, 2015
— Ottoman Bigisland (@ottomanisland) February 13, 2015
@OilersNation Nugey gets a picture with Bonhomme de Neige for that one…his mom asks that you keep him away from Ste. Catherine’s, though
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) February 13, 2015
Someone help Baby Nuge blow his nose.
— Ryan Tomko (@TomkoRyan) February 13, 2015
@OilersNation I forget. How many levels has Tokarski won at?
— Warren (@wshelfantook) February 13, 2015
— Jonathan Clark (@jonclark92) February 13, 2015
@OilersNation Klefbom for Vezina!!
— Bartosz Lotecki (@Mr_Bartus) February 13, 2015
— Kerry McGowan (@vintagekerry63) February 13, 2015
THEOILERSRIG.COM MS FUNDRAISER
Last week, I got an email from my friend Jackie Dee at the Oilers Rig about a fundraiser that they’re holding at Brewsters on February 21st to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis. This is the second year in a row that the Oilers Rig has held this event, and we want to help them raise as much money as possible. Last year, they raised over $2000 for MS research and with the auction items they’ve got this year I’m hoping we can help launch them past that.
What’s for auction you ask? How about a signed Connor McDavid team Canada jersey? They’ve also got a really cool Ryan Smyth farewell canvas that has been signed as well, just to name a couple. The point is, they scraped together some really cool stuff to auction off, they’ll also have trivia and prizes, but more importantly an opportunity to do something positive in the community.
If you don’t have plans set for February 21st, you do now. Shout out to our friends at the Oilers Rig for raising money for such a great cause. If you’re looking for more details on the event, the article explaining everything you need to know is here.