Andrei Vasilevski is a brilliant young goalie and may be the most valuable prospect in the AHL. He is among the top prospects in the Northeast Division, our final stop on the AHL tour.
NEW JERSEY (ALBANY DEVILS)
- L Reid Boucher: Skill winger is undersized and having an average year (49GP, 12-12-24) but is among the better youngsters in Albany. Has NHL experience looks like a tweener.
- D Raman Hrabarenka: Huge defender started off well this season and then suffered an injury. The Devils are not blessed with a strong AHL team in terms of prospects but this is an interesting player.
- L Stefan Matteau: Power-forward skills but lacks the size to play that style long term. He isn’t a natural offensive talent so he may end up in a checking role as an NHL player.
NY ISLANDERS (BRIDGEPORT SOUND TIGERS)
- D Griffin Reinhart: Former lottery pick is just beginning his pro career and having success (39GP, 4-15-19 plus some NHL time). Islanders are bringing him along slowly.
- D Ryan Pulock: Blew the doors off in training camp and then impressed everyone in the AHL before suffering an injury mid-season. Strong up arrow.
- C Alan Quine: Drafted as a 20-year old in 2013 (Detroit took him in ’11 but he didn’t sign) Quine has cobbled together a fine season (52GP, 13-28-41). Natural ability could take him far despite lack of size.
NY RANGERS (HARTFORD WOLF PACK)
- C J.T. Miller: Seems he’s been a prospect forever but Miller has some nice things and should have a career. He’s 18GP, 6-9-15 in the AL and has been in the NHL quite a bit of the year. If he comes available at the deadline it might be the last time.
- L Ryan Haggerty: These college kids who come in and win jobs right away should always be watched. Sometimes they never get there but there are times they turn into Dustin Penner. Skilled winger scored a bunch in college.
- C Oscar Lindberg: Impressive season (54GP, 16-20-36) for offensive center. Fine playmaker, a little undersized and he’s 23.
COLUMBUS (SPRINGFIELD FALCONS)
- L Kerby Rychel: 20-year old winger (50GP, 12-20-32) is one of the few power forwards in pro hockey who kept his offense once turning pro. Valuable young player if he can keep it up.
- C Marko Dano: Skill center was good in the AHL (37GP, 10-8-18) and as good in the NHL (14GP, 3-3-6)—which is a neat trick. He looks like a player.
- G Anton Forbserg: Tall, lean goalie who played so well in the AHL (27GP, 2.04 .927) he got a cup of coffee in the NHL. Goalies are voodoo but he looks good early.
TAMPA BAY (SYRACUSE CRUNCH)
- G Andrei Vasilevski: Brilliant goalie (25GP, 2.45 .917 AHL) is probably going to crowd Ben Bishop out of the TBay net sooner than later. Has played 10 NHL games this season, SP .912. He is 20.
D Slater Koekkoek: Has adjusted well so far to the AHL and his speed is exceptional (especially for his size). One never knows how long it takes for defensemen but he is tracking well.
- C Vladislav Namestnikov: Complete range of skills and a nice resume that includes a point-per-game at the AHL level and 26 NHL games this year.