That was the most unexpectedly exciting Oilers game that I’ve watched in a while. Final Score: 2-1 Blackhawks in the shootout.
Tonight’s game was the first of a five game road trip for the Oilers. I had planned on calling this road trip the “we’re coming for you Buffalo” tour of March 2015, but the Oilers played so well that it doesn’t seem to feel right tonight. The Oilers had Chicago tonight, have Detroit on Tuesday, and Pittsburgh on Thursday. The Oilers also have a matinee against Carolina and finish up the road trip against Columbus next Friday, so I thought that maybe they could win those two. But start the road trip with a game like that? Against Chicago? GTFO.
One thing goes with out saying, the Oilers need to find a way how to play like this every night and they need to figure it out quickly. This was by far the most exciting Oilers game I’ve watched in a while, and it was greatly appreciated. I don’t even care that they lost! I was happy to watch the Oilers play an entertaining hockey game. That being said, seeing them play like this also makes that loss against Los Angeles even more annoying. But that’s the Oilers, they have Jekyll and Hyde vibe going on that’s unexplainable and undeniably their own. On some nights (like tonight), they look like they can play with anyone. The problem is the other nights when they look like they should be relegated.
All in all, tonight’s hockey game was a pretty solid start to the Friday. The #TankNation faction probably would have preferred that the Blackhawks end it in regulation, but I don’t even think they can hate on that game. That was the kind of game, and effort, that we’ve been looking for… correction… THREATENING MURDER for. Frankly, if the Oilers found a way to play like that every night they certainly wouldn’t be in the league basement again for the 100th consecutive year. One day, they’ll play games in March that matter. For now, we just have to continue on with our weekend knowing that the Oilers probably deserved a better fate tonight.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- That was a great road game for the Oilers against a very good Chicago team. It was exciting, it was back and forth… it was everything that Oilers games haven’t been for a long time.
- The Oilers outshot the Blackhawks 47-39 and probably deserved a better fate than what they got.
- Derek Roy scored a beauty goal on a spin-o-rama (his 7th) after Nail Yakupov did some great work in the corners to get him the puck. Really solid play. These two have been great together.
- Oscar Klefbom had some good looks on net tonight. I know he’s not known necessarily for his offence, but he played a solid game and had a few shots on net.
- Ben Scrivens was dialed in tonight. He bailed the Oilers out way more often than he should have had to. You could probably argue that Scrivens was the reason the Oilers were able to get a point in tonight’s hockey game. He finished with a very impressive 38 saves and a .974 save%
THE FACE PALMERS
- One of the more interesting things about the Oilers also happens to be the most annoying thing about them: you never know which Oilers hockey team is going to show up. This did not look like the same hockey team that got blown out by the Kings on Tuesday. The Oilers kept up with the Blackhawks, got strong goaltending, and made things happen all night long. Jekyll and Hyde, man… it’s been a weird ride, this year.
- Despite the score, the Oilers had a truck ton of giveaways tonight. They gave the Blackhawks plenty of prime scoring chances, but thanks to Scrivens the Hawks couldn’t cash.
- I still can’t believe that
- Neither Carolina nor Buffalo can do anything right. They both lost despite having the the lead at one time in both of their respective games. This would have been some fine ELPH had they stuck with the plan.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) March 7, 2015
@OilersNation Derail Roykapov? Nevermind, that sounds like what Eakins was doing to him…
— the Mangiant (@mngnt) March 7, 2015
— Jeremy Martin (@JAYtotheBIZONE) March 7, 2015
@OilersNation I sat down on my sofa to watch the game instead of in front of my keyboard. Haven’t made THAT choice in a long time.
— Kevin Radowits (@sportsjunkie007) March 7, 2015
Unless they go full Oiler, I’m going to walk away from this game not mad, which is new.
— Megan F (@mig14) March 7, 2015
@OilersNation I am having visions of Jennifer Connelly. The Oilers are winning. Life is good.
— Chad Ganske (@chadganske) March 7, 2015
Ben Scrivens smiled at me once.
— Andy (@TheAndyBabic) March 7, 2015
Every time I see Todd Nelson, I think he’d rather be wearing a white tank top.
— Rascal Gas (@rascalgas) March 7, 2015
@OilersNation E-L-P-H ELPH ELPH ELPH!!!
— Aidan Bauer (@BananaHammer3) March 7, 2015
Talk to me, Twitter.
A NATIONGEAR PROMO CODE
Wanye is still away, so I thought that it would be a good time to offer you guys a promo code on NationGear. Why? Because I can, and because Wanye is on the other side of the world and will not likely see this. As such, I present you with 15% off your order just for using the promo code “boobaggedmilk” at checkout. You can thank me for my generosity later. For now, I challenge all of you to use this discount code wisely – it’s only valid until Monday. Happy shopping, Nation.