It was a late #TankStrong push by Jultz, but not enough for Camp McDavid. Final Score: 4-3 Oilers.
When I looked at the Oilers lineup for tonight, and saw Ference and Gordon out, I didn’t expect much, to say the least. Then when they lost Fayne and Hendricks? Forget about it. This looked like the roster of a team that was not only swimming in, but doing cannonballs into the deep end of the tanking pool. Instead, the Oilers came out like a house on fire. They were able to not only score three goals but also chase Varlamov less than 10 minutes into the game. This didn’t look like a team that was sporting more AHLers than the OKC Barons. At least, that’s how it started.
While the Oilers completely dominated the first 10 minutes of the game, they didn’t get much done for most of the remaining 50. Actually, the Oilers only registered one shot in the following 15 minutes after the Avs pulled Varlamov after letting in three goals on seven shots. From then on, the Avs controlled most of the game. They crawled out of a three goal deficit, tied things up, and didn’t give the Oilers much of anything until well into the third period. I hadn’t seen a momentum swing like this since Rachel found out that she was pregnant and Ross found his permanent inside track. Actually, that’s not true at all. It happened to the Oilers a few games ago.
At the end of the night, the three goal deficit that Varlamov put the Avalanche in was too much to overcome. This was one of those game where maybe the score didn’t necessarily reflect what was happening on the ice. To me, the Avalanche greatly outplayed the Oilers for massive chunks of the game and had it not been for the three goal head start I’m not sure they would have won. That being said, a win is a win and the Oilers walk away with two points in regulation. For those of us in Camp McDavid, tonight’s points put them closer to jumping another spot in the standing than it does to finishing with a guaranteed ticket.
I hate the Oilers for making me feel conflicted when they win.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The Oilers scored three goals in under 10 minutes to start the game. If only they could replicate those kind of starts more often… and, maybe… hold on to the lead when it happens?
- Marty Marincin scored his first NHL goal on an absolute snipe from the slot. I love seeing guys score their first, it’s always fun to see the look on their face. Nice job, Marty, it was a long time coming. Now, if you could do something about those sideburns.
- Jordan Eberle continued his hot streak by scoring a goal only minutes after Marincin. Eberle followed the puck to the net and knocked home the open puck while falling down.
- It was good to see Taylor Hall score his first since coming back from injury. To steal from Lowetide, Taylor Hall pushes the river and the Oilers are a better team with him in the lineup.
- Quietly, Andrew Miller had a two point night. He registered assists on both the Marincin goal and Taylor Hall’s goal.
- Derek Roy scored the winner (his 11th) by crashing the net and cleaning up the garbage. Ben Pouliot made a nice play with the puck to get it to the net, and Nail Yakupov continued his hot streak by registering an assist on the play.
- Speaking of the Derek Roy goal… gotta love the Todd Nelson power play.
- Ben Scrivens was dialled in tonight. He made made the saves you would expect him to, and a bunch you wouldn’t. Scrivens got shelled for big chunks of the night, but he stood tall and kept the Oilers in it. He finished 41 saves and a .932 save%.
THE FACE PALMERS
- There were big chunks of that game where the Oilers were scrambling. When the Avalanche scored three straight to tie things up I was almost sure that the winning goal was coming. Not tonight, but it was close.
- I assume that the goal Jarome Iginla scored against the Oilers was his 300th against them? That’s probably (definitely) right.*
- I’m starting to hate hearing about how Todd Nelson is the right coach for the Oilers, and that they should really consider bringing him back next season. The guy is in a period of limbo that must be all sorts of stressful on both he and his family. If the Oilers DON’T decide to bring him back as the head coach do you really expect him to want to stick around to coach the Condors? They passed him over once by hiring Dallas Eakins, will they do it a second time? We shall see.
- Justin Schultz completely shat himself on whatever he was trying to do on the third Avalanche goal. Hopefully winning the Norris isn’t based on anything that happens during the regular season or else Jultz is shit out of luck! Although, when he took that delay of game penalty with less than a minute left I was really impressed with his dedication to the tankening.
- I can’t help but laugh at the idea that is out there about Devan Dubnyk being re-signed by the Oilers in the offseason. Why would he want to do that unless there was a management overhaul? Craig MacTavish threw him under the bus before the last season had even started with the whole “If you have to ask the question” babble. Would you want to come back to work for that guy? Besides, the brass would have to admit they made the wrong call on Dubnyk, and we all know that admitting fault isn’t in their vocabulary.
- Games like this do absolutely nothing for our chances in the McJesus lottery. Absolutely. Nothing.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Jordan Eberle growing a beard this time of year is such a tease.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) March 26, 2015
Hall. 9:36. 3-0 Oilers. Varlamov gets the hook. Oilers make their playoff push 60 games too late,
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) March 26, 2015
@OilersNation afraid to watch, scared to look away!
— Scott Mitchell (@scotmitc) March 26, 2015
@OilersNation it’s a 3-0 first period lead…. We’ve been here before……..
— D McManus (@mcmanus17) March 26, 2015
@OilersNation you know how it’s goes finish strong final ten games to move up the standing so we can draft a small skilled forward
— Jesse Foster (@fozzybear06) March 26, 2015
@OilersNation What color should I make the armbands?
— Jesse Ferguson (@jesseferguson) March 26, 2015
Everybody over the age of 25 now has chronic back problems. Classic Oilers.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) March 26, 2015
— Higgs-Distortion (@Higgsdistortion) March 26, 2015
Todd Nelson’s hair looks extra slicked back today. #Oilers
— Jake D (@Baresnake) February 14, 2015
— James Drolet (@Apps98) March 26, 2015
@OilersNation can we please stop with the fog horn? It’s almost ironic now….
— Justin Serink (@JustinSerink) March 26, 2015
Hall tongue in cheek after the game.. “I showed a lot of character putting that one in.”
— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) March 26, 2015
Wasn’t Garth a Blackhawks fan? (via r/hockey) pic.twitter.com/vFBEixdCM6
— Marc Dumont (@Dr_Habs) March 25, 2015
We heard there are ads with automatic audio in some geographic regions. We want to annoy you with ads but only to a point – we hate those kinds of ads too. If it happens to you please take a screenshot of the ad and the day, time and where you live and send it to [email protected]. We will send anyone who helps us a nation tee as thank you.