You’re tanking wrong. Final Score: 4-0 Oilers.
Remember when a game between the Stars and Oilers meant something? I do. I remember when Todd Marchant scored in overtime to put the Oilers through to the 2nd round. I remember the save that Curtis Joseph made right before that to keep the game tied. Now, some of my fondest memories of a Stars/Oilers game include making fun of that dick in the tanned jacket that is constantly banging on the glass in Dallas. The days of the EIG budget teams making the playoffs on sheer will seem to be a distant memory at this point.
Tonight’s game started out in almost the same way as the win against Colorado. The Oilers were able to score a goal within the first minute, and take an early lead into the first intermission. For a team that needs points to stay in the playoff race, Dallas came out flat and allowed the Oilers an early lead. From there, the Oilers never looked back. Despite the Stars outshooting the Oilers 29-28 they couldn’t get anything past Richard Bachman. Bachman was perfect as he stopped everything that was sent his way, and he walked away with his first win as an Edmonton Oiler.
Despite the win I can’t help but feel conflicted about how to feel. On one hand, I love the Oilers and I love seeing them win. This city is a better place when the Oilers are winning. That being said, adding 2 points to the standings is absolutely useless at this point in the season and there lies the dilemma. There are two supposed “generational” talents at the top end of this draft, and it looks like the Oilers are playing their way out of have a chance at either of them. But I love seeing them win… What the hell are they doing to us?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I liked Todd Nelson giving Richard Bachman the start against his former team. Those are the kind of small things that make players love a coach and good on Nelson for doing it. Despite the depleted lineup the Oilers were not only able to win, but they pumped the Stars for 4 goals.
- Speaking of Bachman, he played perfectly for his first win as an Edmonton Oiler stopping all 29 shots that he saw.
- Jordan Eberle is on a ridiculous tear right now. He scored his 22nd by driving the net and somehow getting lost in a crowd of Stars players. I don’t know what kind of magic he’s holding in that beard but it’s working for him, and I might be so bold as to suggest he never share again.
- Derek Roy scored again (his 12) tonight giving him 7 points in his last 9 games. I know the fancy stats don’t particularly play out well for Roy, but I’m hoping MacT can get him re-signed on a reasonable deal. There aren’t many players on the Oilers roster with the amount of experience that Derek Roy has and I’d take a flyer on that all day. That’s not even touching all the good things he’s done with Yakupov.
- Benoit Pouliot set a new career high as he scored his 17th goal on an amazing pass from Taylor Hall from behind the blue line.
- Andrew Miller scored his first NHL goal on a penalty shot. Not only did he score, he absolutely shelved it on a very good goaltender in Kari Lehtonen. It’s always awesome to see a guy score his first goal.
- I don’t know how you can’t feel good when see Brandon Davidson playing for the Oilers. The guy battled cancer, won, and worked his way back to the NHL (if only for a few games). You can’t help but root for the guy.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I can’t even enjoy wins as much as I should be. Stupid draft… Stupid Oilers…
- Are we sure that Viktor Fasth is alive? The Oilers haven’t mentioned him since he went down, and I’m starting to get worried. Someone check RX2 before they put the flooring down.
- In the 2nd intermission, John Shannon was talking about how the Oilers should avoid Jack Eichel, if they’re in a position to draft him, because they need a centre. *never stops face palming*
- The Oilers were under 30% in the faceoff circle. That’s brutal.
- I kind of wanted to see Taylor Hall and Jamie Benn scrap. For the sake of Taylor Hall’s face (ankle?), I’m glad they didn’t.
- It’s odd to see both Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky playing for the Dallas Stars. There was a time when that would have been unthinkable, but those days have been gone for a long time.
- Buffalo and Arizona had a 3 point game last night putting the Oilers only 1 point up on the Coyotes… until they decided to win tonight. I hate that wins leave me feeling conflicted. That’s your fault, Oilers.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Dr. Theo M. Enacer (@SenatorTheo) March 28, 2015
— Kevin Radowits (@sportsjunkie007) March 28, 2015
@OilersNation We celebrate Fan Appreciation by disallowing Horcoff goals for no reason!
— Ryan Adam (@radam100) March 28, 2015
— Pat Downey (@bluemile88) March 28, 2015
— Kyle Lambourne (@KL_71) March 28, 2015
“JUST SHUT UP AND KISS ME!!” ??? pic.twitter.com/jFI7gsJAN0
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) March 28, 2015
— JD (@JackieDee16) March 28, 2015
If the Oilers were a TV sitcom they would be Threes Company @OilersNation
— Billie Depner (@Billiezilla) March 28, 2015
— G (@Pretty__G) March 28, 2015
*Peels McDavid name bar off of homemade jersey…
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) March 28, 2015
A LITTLE QUALITY CONTROL
We heard there are ads with automatic audio in some geographic regions. We want to annoy you with ads but only to a point – we hate those kinds of ads too. If it happens to you please take a screenshot of the ad and the day, time and where you live and send it to email@example.com. We will send anyone who helps us a nation tee as thank you.