Who wanted McEichel anyway? Final Score: 4-2 Oilers
When the Oilers and Kings played on Thursday night I was at Marilyn Manson getting soaked in the sweat of thousands of skids and dudes with various degrees of chest hair – it was a good time. Jeanshorts and I got absolutely buckled, had a great night, and were able to forget about the Oilers entirely… until we got back to the Pint. It’s not often that getting covered in the sweat of strangers is infinitely more fun than watching a hockey game, but that’s where we’re at as a fan base these days.
Rather than find another group of stinking skids to throw elbows at I made my way down to Rexall to watch what I was assuming would be another shellacking. Instead, what we got was an LA team that came out flat and couldn’t put the puck in past Richard Bachman (from inside the red line that is). For being such a huge game for LA they certainly didn’t look like a team that had a must win game ahead of them. Frankly, the Kings should have rolled over the Barons team that the Oilers iced tonight but that’s not what happened. For once the Oilers were able to play spoiler and actually knocked someone out of playoff contention. I’m not sure how to feel right now – what do I do with my hands?
Lastly, I want to give a shout out to the dude that I tried to talk to about his Nation hoodie. I went up to him thinking that complimenting him on the fine garment he was wearing would be some kind of manly ice breaker seeing as I was also wearing my Nation hoodie. That is the complete opposite of how things went. Instead, I got blown off in a way that hasn’t happened to me since I pulled out of the dating pool. How did I get blown off, you might be asking yourself? What did this mystery man say? “I don’t know you. Later.” Classic. So much for making new friends, right?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- There are literally two games left. We’ve almost made it to the Oilers playoff time which is, of course, the draft lottery.
- Benoit Pouliot’s breakaway goal (his 18th) was an absolutely snipe. He’s continuing to add to his career high in goals and has been one of the few bright spots on the season.
- Tonight was a multi goal performance from Matt Fraser (his second was an empty netter) and you could tell he felt a sense of relief at being able to contribute. It will be interesting to see what the Oilers do with him this season as he’s an RFA at the end of the year.
- I was happy to see Tyler Pitlick score his second goal of the year. The guy has gone through endless bad luck and injuries and you can’t help but pull for him. There’s a player there, but I wonder if his health will ever let us see it. I’m pulling for him.
- Both Calgary and Vancouver fans were cheering for the Oilers tonight. That’s hilarious… and very sad.
- The Oilers are now stuck in 28th place which means we’re actually allowed to cheer for wins for the last two games! Yay?
- Shout out to the guy in the chicken costume that was sitting right behind the net. He also had a sign that said Drew Doughty could watch the playoffs from his place but I’m not sure if that got on TV or not.
- At least the guys at the Royal Half can stop rubbing their playoff appearances/Cups in our face? Maybe?
THE FACE PALMERS
- I didn’t get to see Nugey play one last time this year. I did see him accept the Molson Cup award for March though so that’s something, right? RIGHT!?
- Maybe it was just me but the refs were not calling anything tonight. There were calls that should have went both ways but the whistles seemed to be put away for big chunks of the night. At least they were consistent?
- That Drew Doughty goal from centre ice was hilariously bad. When that went in I thought we were in for another patented third period collapse. Bachman played very well tonight, but that was a face palming moment if ever there was one.
- Can anyone confirm if Taylor Hall knows how to backcheck or not? He was out there in the last five minutes of the game and on a few occasions was the last one into the Oilers zone – Kings included.
- The Oilers are now locked into 28th place and will be picking 3rd if the draft order goes the way of the standings. I mean really… there are two supposed generational talents at the top of the draft and the Oilers couldn’t even tank right. I know they can still win the lottery, but I’d bet that the Oilers get bumped down to 4th before they end up picking 1st – the odds are not in our favour.
- The Penguins are doing their best to give us another scratch ticket in the McDavid lotto but they’re going to have to cut out these OT points. It won’t help us achieve our goal, and they need to be better at helping us out. Tank you.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
It’s taking longer than usual for @jsbmbaggedmilk to publish the game wrap up tonight. It’s almost like something unexpected happened.
— Kevin Radowits (@sportsjunkie007) April 8, 2015
I bet the Wrap Up @jsbmbaggedmilk wrote at Noon is only 15% useable now.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) April 8, 2015
— Michael Dew (@dewyouknow) April 8, 2015
@OilersNation I hate the oilers for making flames fans cheer harder for the oilers tonight than a lot of oilers fans.
— Aidan Bauer (@BananaHammer3) April 8, 2015
— Justin (@thejayare12) April 8, 2015
@OilersNation LA embarrassed us two games ago but who is going to be more embarrassed after the Kings misses the playoffs after tonight
— Justin Watkins (@justin_watkins) April 8, 2015
.@OilersNation YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS I NEVER DOUBTED YOU FOR A SECOND.
THATS A LIE I ABSOLUTELY DID.
— CanucksArmy (@CanucksArmy) April 8, 2015
— The Royal Half (@theroyalhalf) April 8, 2015
THE NATIONDRAFTS PLAYOFF POOL
The NHL playoffs are back, baby! That means we can stop arguing about Corsi and start arguing about which squadron (Oilers excluded as always) will be walking away with Lord Stanley’s Cup come June! Since you know who is going to win, we wanted to give you a chance to flex that mighty hockey IQ. You DO know about hockey, right? You wouldn’t just make that up, would you? Well, the coming playoffs also mean a brand new edition of the NationDrafts playoff pool! Sign up today at www.nationdrafts.com for your shot at prizes, glory, and to help us raise money for Earth Group.