— Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) October 18, 2015
It was a busy week across the hockey world for Edmonton Oilers’ prospects. Some impressive performances may have specific prospects closer to the NHL, while it’s also curious to see so many “AHL veterans” with a prominent spot in the Bakersfield Condors lineup. Developing prospects is about getting them playing time. Right?
— Beer League Heroes (@BeerLeagueHeroe) October 17, 2015
- LD Brad Hunt 4GP, 0-6-6 (2GP, 0-6-6 this week)
- R Matt Ford 4GP, 3-1-4 (2GP, 3-1-4 this week)
- R Iiro Pakarinen 4GP, 1-2-3 (2GP, 1-1-2 this week)
- C-R Andrew Miller 4GP, 1-2-3 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- C Jujhar Khaira 4GP, 0-2-2 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- L Ryan Hamilton 3GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- C Phil McRae 4GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- L Mitch Moroz 4GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- C Bogdan Yakimov 4GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- L Braden Christoffer 4GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- C Leon Draisaitl 4GP, 0-1-1 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- RD Jordan Oesterle 4GP, 0-1-1 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- C Kyle Platzer 4GP, 0-1-1 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- RD Joey Laleggia 2GP, 0-0-0 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- LD David Musil 2GP, 0-0-0 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- LD Darnell Nurse 2GP, 0-0-0 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- RD Nick Pageau 2GP, 0-0-0 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- L Kale Kessy 2GP, 0-0-0 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- R Tyler Pitlick 2GP, 0-0-0 (DNP this week)
- L Josh Winquist 1GP, 0-0-0 (DNP this week)
- G Laurent Brossoit 3GP, 3.24 .910 (1GP, 4.62 .875 this week)
- G Eetu Laurikainen 1GP, 4.02 .818 (1GP, 4.02 .818 this week)
- We’ll have to see if this continues, but there seems to be a large contingent of “AHL veterans” playing the big minutes so far (underlined players). Craig MacTavish spoke about changing the culture in the past, but a year ago men like Mitchell Moroz didn’t seem to be playing for long stretches of time. Perhaps “winning” in Bakersfield is being emphasized more than some of us would hope. Something to observe over the winter.
- Brad Hunt had a helluva weekend and if he wasn’t such a chaos defenseman we could talk about him as a legit callup option—and that may yet happen. His NHL auditions in previous seasons have been an adventure.
- Scott Zerr appeared on the Lowdown last week and talked about Iiro Pakarinen as a possible callup option. After our conversation, Pakarinen went out and played well this weekend, confirming Zerr’s earlier comments.
- Leon Draisaitl has been playing well from reports, but has only one point in four games.
- Darnell Nurse has been receiving rave reviews—for his defensive play. That’s exactly what the Oilers want to see based on their own verbal, so things appear to be starting well for Edmonton’s blue chip defensive prospect.
— Calgary Hitmen (@WHLHitmen) October 16, 2015
- C-R Greg Chase 2GP, 1-0-1
- F Alexis Loiseau 2GP, 0-1-1
- D Ben Betker 2GP, 0-0-0
- F Marco Roy 2GP, 0-0-0
- C Chase Schaber 1GP, 0-0-0
- G Ty Rimmer 2GP, 2.02. .947
- Some raised eyebrows over Greg Chase starting his pro career in the ECHL, but for me that’s a better plan than not playing prospects in their first year pro. Those ECHL games helped Mark Arcobello years ago and could benefit Chase a great deal more than sitting in the pressbox in Bakersfield.
- Ty Rimmer has had a helluva start.
— DrakkardeBaie-Comeau (@DrakkardeBaieCo) October 15, 2015
- Ethan Bear 7GP, 0-6-6 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- Caleb Jones 8GP, 1-3-4 (3GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Keven Bouchard 6GP, 3.72 .874 (2GP, 3.05 .893 this week)
- Ethan Bear is putting together an outstanding month, excited to see him progress.
- Caleb Jones appears to be a more substantial prospect than we were led to believe draft day. Mobile and far more offense than initial forensics implied.
- I’ve been cheering for Edmonton prospects since Dave Inkpen. KevEN Bouchard is perhaps the most frustrating, but he had a good week. Keep it up, young man!
— Oilers Oilogosphere (@Oilogosphere) October 17, 2015
- L Evan Campbell, UMass-Lowell 3GP, 1-3-4 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- LD William Lagesson, UMass-Amherst 3GP, 0-1-1 (1GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- D John Marino 7GP, 1-4-5 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- I wrote about Campbell on Friday night, he’s on a good pace this year and is absolutely a player to watch. Tyler Vesel and Zach Nagelvoort are in pre-season now and I should have an update next week.
Photo: Defenseman Ziyat Paigin during warm-up prior to his first game for his new team, HK Sochi. (Image… http://t.co/s2ubWa57Td
— Patrick C (@ChunkletsHockey) October 16, 2015
- D Ziyat Paigin 10GP, 0-2-2 (KHL) (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- G Miroslav Svoboda 7GP, 4.42 .867 (Czech 2) (1GP, this week, not good)